UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thesealocust

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:10 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klp5zf

Postby klp5zf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
showNprove wrote:
klp5zf wrote:
Cavalier wrote:And a UVA student makes Above the Law again...

--LinkRemoved--

Apparently this student spit on a police officer and is being charged with assault, resisting arrest, and public intoxication. She was featured in an article on UVA's website a few months ago: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2009_spr/epps.htm

Awesome. That's great press for us...

There's an article about it on the UVA Law Blog. She fucked up, but it sounds like the cop was being a jerk, too. I'm trying to understand under what circumstances breaking a car window and forcibly removing someone from her own backseat is called for.

1) This parking garage is not public property, so somebody in a car in a parking garage doesn't have an automatic right to be there.

2) None of the reports say that she was in the back seat. Either way, being intoxicated and in a car you own is cause for concern. Had they not gotten her out and she had attempted to drive, there would have been outcry.

3) Being locked in a car when drunk presents a lot of danger to the person who is drunk - but especially on a hot summer day. There was a legitimate risk to her own safety by being in the car and not responding.

4) It is unlikely that if there wasn't already some cause for concern (IE risk of alcohol poisoning, unresponsiveness, reason to believe she might attempt to drive, complaint from the parking garage owner / worker) that the police would have been called.

*shrug* The problem with these cases, of course, is that everyone will have an opinion but the actually facts are going to be sketchy - and in all likelyhood disputed. I could certainly see this as being police misconduct, but I hardly think the initial reports make it seem clear cut that it was so.

I agree with you about the facts...pretty sketchy to us at this point. I'm sure there is a lot more going on there than we are privy to at the moment. I hope everything works out for the best.

bulldog4574

Postby bulldog4574 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:24 pm

have we talked on the thread at all about what we actually need to do on SIS when our loan distribution/tuition due date rolls around? Sorry for not keeping up to date with the thread, been slogging away at camp.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 pm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Did anyone email the financial aid office last week when we got the notification of new "to-do" items for entrance interviews we'd already done? I know they said it would update later in the summer. However, my line of thinking is that the system finally updated and it didn't process our completion of the quizzes...

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

If I have to go through the loan counseling again I'm posting the answers here, so that myself and everyone else will not have to deal with it after that. The answers are fairly obvious but I'd rather spend 30 seconds on it than 5 or 10 minutes.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

A warning for those moving in the coming weeks: it is hot. Around three every afternoon I get this overwhelming urge to take a nap, mainly because I am tired of driving around and unloading things in the heat. I also don't feel like I can do much outside because it is so hot, so I inevitable read in/on my bed and fall asleep. I hope this heat simmers down once school starts or else that afternoon class is going to be rough for me.

The good news is each time I've gone on a hike on the skyline drive (I highly recommend the annual pass for $30 - it's good for one year from the purchase date, not just 2009!), it's been about 5-10 degrees cooler.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Did anyone email the financial aid office last week when we got the notification of new "to-do" items for entrance interviews we'd already done? I know they said it would update later in the summer. However, my line of thinking is that the system finally updated and it didn't process our completion of the quizzes...

Sorry, I forgot to mention this. I had called on Friday, and the Financial Aid office got back to me yesterday. They are just now putting everything in the system, but it's going to take time for everything to register. The To-Do item showed up for everyone, regardless of whether or not your completed it or completed it successfully. They said it should disappear soon and a status notification should change from "Incomplete" to "Completed" in another part of the SIS website.

thesealocust wrote:1) This parking garage is not public property, so somebody in a car in a parking garage doesn't have an automatic right to be there.

2) None of the reports say that she was in the back seat. Either way, being intoxicated and in a car you own is cause for concern. Had they not gotten her out and she had attempted to drive, there would have been outcry.

3) Being locked in a car when drunk presents a lot of danger to the person who is drunk - but especially on a hot summer day. There was a legitimate risk to her own safety by being in the car and not responding.

4) It is unlikely that if there wasn't already some cause for concern (IE risk of alcohol poisoning, unresponsiveness, reason to believe she might attempt to drive, complaint from the parking garage owner / worker) that the police would have been called.

*shrug* The problem with these cases, of course, is that everyone will have an opinion but the actually facts are going to be sketchy - and in all likelyhood disputed. I could certainly see this as being police misconduct, but I hardly think the initial reports make it seem clear cut that it was so.

1) Agreed

2) I'm sorry, I read that in a comment on the Law Blog. Everything just mixed together and I thought I remembered it as part of a report.

3) It was "early morning" after a "night of drinking." In other words, it was probably 4:00 a.m.

4) I didn't see the article mention anywhere that her friends called the police. If the C-Ville police are anything like the cops around where I am, they probably routinely monitor parking garages. They may have heard or seen the friends trying to get her out.

Like you said, the facts are very sketchy. We don't really know what happened yet. In any case, I maintain a level of skepticism whenever force is used, by a police officer or otherwise.

klp5zf

Postby klp5zf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:13 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:A warning for those moving in the coming weeks: it is hot. Around three every afternoon I get this overwhelming urge to take a nap, mainly because I am tired of driving around and unloading things in the heat. I also don't feel like I can do much outside because it is so hot, so I inevitable read in/on my bed and fall asleep. I hope this heat simmers down once school starts or else that afternoon class is going to be rough for me.

The good news is each time I've gone on a hike on the skyline drive (I highly recommend the annual pass for $30 - it's good for one year from the purchase date, not just 2009!), it's been about 5-10 degrees cooler.

It will get better, but probably not until mid-September. August in Virginia can be grueling, but the beautiful fall colors will make it all worth it.

kp1981

Postby kp1981 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey, does anybody know where I can find what the requirements are if I want to purchase a different health plan than the one endorsed by the university? Also, if I purchase a different plan, can I still use the Student Health Center at no cost? Is it true that the right to use the center is covered in the Student Activity Fee?

Thanks,

Kent

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:16 pm

klp5zf wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:A warning for those moving in the coming weeks: it is hot. Around three every afternoon I get this overwhelming urge to take a nap, mainly because I am tired of driving around and unloading things in the heat. I also don't feel like I can do much outside because it is so hot, so I inevitable read in/on my bed and fall asleep. I hope this heat simmers down once school starts or else that afternoon class is going to be rough for me.

It will get better, but probably not until mid-September. August in Virginia can be grueling, but the beautiful fall colors will make it all worth it.

It really isn't that hot. It is normally way hotter in VA in July/August so everyone should be thrilled it is as cool as it is.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:32 pm

limegreen wrote:
klp5zf wrote:

It really isn't that hot. It is normally way hotter in VA in July/August so everyone should be thrilled it is as cool as it is.

Ugh, this is why my screenname thing is "crazyinalabama" - amongst other things about the bible belt, I've always loathed the heat and humidity.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Cavalier wrote:If I have to go through the loan counseling again I'm posting the answers here, so that myself and everyone else will not have to deal with it after that. The answers are fairly obvious but I'd rather spend 30 seconds on it than 5 or 10 minutes.

Someone a few pages ago said they called and the administrator said not to worry about it if you've already done it. They are working something out with the system.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:42 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote:

I've always thought the ideal outdoor temperature for me would be 58F.

58F sounds about right for winter and fall. About 90F for summer and springs works for me.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
iceberger wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

I've always thought the ideal outdoor temperature for me would be 58F.

58F sounds about right for winter and fall. About 90F for summer and springs works for me.

58F all year-round would suit me fine (I'm willing to sacrifice it not snowing to get this). Otherwise, 58F for spring and summer, and something above 40F in the fall, and something above 20F in the winter.

I would be happy if it was 75-85 year round, seasons are overrated.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Ideal weather: snow on the ground all winter long with temperatures hovering around 25. Spring 58 with plenty of sun. Summer high of 78 with wind at all times and no humidity. 85 on an extremely hot day. Fall - 60 and breezy as the golden leaves fall around me. :D

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:03 am

on SIS, i am being charged 4% in fees on my gradplus loan instead of just the 3% origination fee. the lender is discover, which i thought had no additional fees except the origination fee. where is the extra 1% coming from / is anyone else having this problem?

discover has no guarantor fee. SIS knows i want to use discover as my lender.

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 am

to answer part of my question: i am guessing the mystery 1% fee is the default fee, but my understanding is that discover does not charge the default fee.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 am

crazyinalabama wrote:Ideal weather: snow on the ground all winter long with temperatures hovering around 25. Spring 58 with plenty of sun. Summer high of 78 with wind at all times and no humidity. 85 on an extremely hot day.

Flagstaff, AZ has almost the exact conditions you describe.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Ideal weather: snow on the ground all winter long with temperatures hovering around 25. Spring 58 with plenty of sun. Summer high of 78 with wind at all times and no humidity. 85 on an extremely hot day.

Flagstaff, AZ has almost the exact conditions you describe.

Hmmm...i have a feeling Flagstaff might be lacking the beautiful fall leaves I am seeking...? I think I would fit in really well in Vermont or New Hampshire. While the winters are colder than I prefer, once you go below 20 degrees everything feels about the same to me.

I went and got my computer configured at the law school today (wireless network, wireless printing, etc.). Stacey Hughes, the main IT person at the law school, was extremely nice and helpful.

Parking note: I didn't know where I was allowed to park and was running late so I didn't have time to ask the front desk for a visitor's pass. I ended up parking to the left of the law school in what turned out to be the faculty lot. I came back and had a ticket on my car (not unexpected) and was shocked when the fine said "$0.00." It was just a warning. Coming from the land of $25 parking tickets, I love UVA already!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”