UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thesealocust

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:38 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 am

thesealocust wrote:
a.williams wrote:Anyone up for a day trip to VA beach before classes start? Maybe the weekend before orientation? I was thinking we could leave around 8 or 9, bring some beverages, food, a couple balls, and just chill and come back after dinner.

Anyone game?

That sounds awesome... depending on when I actually move, I might be game.

Or we could stay the week and have a pre-law school beach week ;D Gotta cement our reputation... re-arrange as many deck chairs as possible as the biglaw model looses ground to the iceberg.

not sure what biglaw has to do with it, but sure?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am

thesealocust wrote:
a.williams wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
a.williams wrote:Anyone up for a day trip to VA beach before classes start? Maybe the weekend before orientation? I was thinking we could leave around 8 or 9, bring some beverages, food, a couple balls, and just chill and come back after dinner.

Anyone game?

That sounds awesome... depending on when I actually move, I might be game.

Or we could stay the week and have a pre-law school beach week ;D Gotta cement our reputation... re-arrange as many deck chairs as possible as the biglaw model looses ground to the iceberg.

not sure what biglaw has to do with it, but sure?

I re-read it and I'm not sure I do either. I'm pretty tired (spent 3 and a half hours walking around the [national] mall, I need to sleep!)

Thought I was missing something. The mall is great to just walk around. I could spend hours there.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 am

Might be a better idea to go the 7th-9th weekend not right before orientation unless it's going to be a quick trip. You won't get your sections til that Thurs or Fri so it'd be a good idea to take that weekend to buy books and get some reading done because that Mon/Tues is orientation where hopefully you'll be busy and then classes start Wed.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:14 am

gladiator wrote:Might be a better idea to go the 7th-9th weekend not right before orientation unless it's going to be a quick trip. You won't get your sections til that Thurs or Fri so it'd be a good idea to take that weekend to buy books and get some reading done because that Mon/Tues is orientation where hopefully you'll be busy and then classes start Wed.

didn't think about that, but thanks for the reminder. your welcome to come if you like gladiator.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 am

a.williams wrote:
gladiator wrote:Might be a better idea to go the 7th-9th weekend not right before orientation unless it's going to be a quick trip. You won't get your sections til that Thurs or Fri so it'd be a good idea to take that weekend to buy books and get some reading done because that Mon/Tues is orientation where hopefully you'll be busy and then classes start Wed.

didn't think about that, but thanks for the reminder. your welcome to come if you like gladiator.

If it's that weekend of the 7th-9th, I'm busy. If it's 14th-16th, not sure yet.

klp5zf

Postby klp5zf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 am

Though I don't think I'll be available to go either of those weekends, I am from VB and could give you all some pointers on where to go, where to eat, etc. Just let me know or shoot me an email (klp5zf@virginia.edu).

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 am

I might be up for it

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am

My BF is from VB and I'm from that area as well so I'd be happy to make some recommendations. I am going home this weekend so I probably won't go again before classes start. VB is kind of overrated if you do the whole tourist thing, so make sure to talk to someone that knows the area to get info on the better beaches and things to do, depending on what you're looking for.

Also, it's at least a 2 hour 45 minute drive to the oceanfront from Cville, so it would probably be a lot better trip if you could rent a house for the weekend or get a hotel room or whatever.

The best time to go to the beach if you are looking for some excitement is during the East Coast Surfing Championship, it's the last weekend in August and it's usually really fun and there are tons of cool things that wouldn't normally be there.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 am

gladiator wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I'm stoked just to have a harris teeter so close to the law school. At least the one I live near has an excellent combination of quality, variety, price, and atmosphere. I actually prefer it to the infamous Wegmans that people rave about for grocery shopping.

I haven't heard much chatter about the cafeteria in the law school. How are variety/price? I know we have access to a fridge/microwave by the dining area...

Oh and what's the bizarre sit-down type quasi-restaurant like?

(See, Gladiator - we need you! :D)

Not sure what you mean by the bold. The cafeteria is pretty meh but people eat there because it's easy. There's pizza, rotated hot food, sandwiches, and a probably not so fantastic attempt at sushi.

Other than Marco and Luca's which is kind of its own category, I can't say there are any great Chinese/Japanese places. Maybe there are some but there are just so many in Cville and I can't say any of them are distinguishable from what I've seen. You can get sushi but not sure about good sushi.

You described the "sit-down" cafeteria pretty well in your question. Students only go there if there's some special lecture, or if they are taking a professor to lunch. Otherwise, only professors/staff go there.

For Asian, I've been to Asia Specialty near the downtown mall and it was pretty good.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 am

limegreen wrote:My BF is from VB and I'm from that area as well so I'd be happy to make some recommendations. I am going home this weekend so I probably won't go again before classes start. VB is kind of overrated if you do the whole tourist thing, so make sure to talk to someone that knows the area to get info on the better beaches and things to do, depending on what you're looking for.

Very true. Back in my beach going days (when I was 10 and had a rockin' bod to pick up all the beach chicks), the best beaches were on navy bases.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:45 am

I'd be up for the beach on either weekend but would prefer the 7th-9th for the reason Gladiator mentioned.

klp5zf

Postby klp5zf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 am

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:My BF is from VB and I'm from that area as well so I'd be happy to make some recommendations. I am going home this weekend so I probably won't go again before classes start. VB is kind of overrated if you do the whole tourist thing, so make sure to talk to someone that knows the area to get info on the better beaches and things to do, depending on what you're looking for.

Very true. Back in my beach going days (when I was 10 and had a rockin' bod to pick up all the beach chicks), the best beaches were on navy bases.

Who are you kidding, you still have a rockin' bod ;)

Yes, VB is overrated, but it is still a beach and is still fun. I go often when I'm home and enjoy it. I highly recommend avoiding the tourist-y destinations on 4th-31st street and go north into the higher numbered streets for more private beaches. You can park at 36th street for free if you park at the church and Taste Unlimited, a restaurant deli on 36th, is one of my favorite lunch places.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Just wanted to add the Neptune Festival is the last weekend in September, which is also a fun time at the beach if you are looking to get away from Cville a few weeks into school.

I would also recommend the Outer Banks (specifically Nags Head, Kitty Hawk) if anyone is looking for a weekend beach trip. It's another 2 hour or so past VB but infinitely better in my opinion. During the off season, you can rent houses for cheap and when split between 8-10 people it is a steal. It's really quiet down there in the winter, but the beaches are really pretty and there are still some very desolate areas if you like that kind of thing (Corolla, etc.).

Hera

Postby Hera » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:15 pm

I just wanted to thank gladiator and showNprove for answering my questions. Your responses were very prompt and helpful.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 pm

And a UVA student makes Above the Law again...

--LinkRemoved--

Apparently this student spit on a police officer and is being charged with assault, resisting arrest, and public intoxication. She was featured in an article on UVA's website a few months ago: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2009_spr/epps.htm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm

klp5zf wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Who are you kidding, you still have a rockin' bod ;)

Yes, VB is overrated, but it is still a beach and is still fun. I go often when I'm home and enjoy it. I highly recommend avoiding the tourist-y destinations on 4th-31st street and go north into the higher numbered streets for more private beaches. You can park at 36th street for free if you park at the church and Taste Unlimited, a restaurant deli on 36th, is one of my favorite lunch places.

:oops: ... :wink:

klp5zf

Postby klp5zf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:And a UVA student makes Above the Law again...

--LinkRemoved--

Apparently this student spit on a police officer and is being charged with assault, resisting arrest, and public intoxication. She was featured in an article on UVA's website a few months ago: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2009_spr/epps.htm

Awesome. That's great press for us...

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:49 pm

klp5zf wrote:
Cavalier wrote:And a UVA student makes Above the Law again...

--LinkRemoved--

Awesome. That's great press for us...

There's an article about it on the UVA Law Blog. She fucked up, but it sounds like the cop was being a jerk, too. I'm trying to understand under what circumstances breaking a car window and forcibly removing someone from her own backseat is called for.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nike6075

Postby Nike6075 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 pm

at least she's a responsible parent.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Nike6075 wrote:at least she's a responsible parent.

Yikes... let's not get too judgmental, we haven't even started [strike]high[/strike] law school yet!

Actually Nike has started law school.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”