UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Hera wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to TLS, but I will be attending UVA this fall. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone on this board can answer. I've tried to search for the answers on the forum before posting, but I apologize in advance in case I somehow end up repeating an already answered question. Thanks in advance.

1. Where's a good place to buy a mattress set in Charlottesville? (I have read about people driving upto IKEA in DC(?) but I won't have a truck or anything to haul stuff so I need a place that delivers).

2. If you used Discover as your student lender, did you sign a Master Promissory Note that did not include a dollar figure for the loan amount? Is this how it is supposed to be or should I be looking to sign additional paperwork?

3. Any Idea when we might get our first loan check or deposit in our bank account? Do you have to set up direct deposit before you get to school?

4. When are we supposed to buy our books? Also, are most people buying supplements ahead of time or taking the wait-and-see approach as recommended by some posters?

Thanks!
Hera

http://www.sleephappens.com

I believe you're fine.

Last year my direct deposit was 8/26.

Buy your books after you get your sections on 8/14.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Hera wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to TLS, but I will be attending UVA this fall. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone on this board can answer. I've tried to search for the answers on the forum before posting, but I apologize in advance in case I somehow end up repeating an already answered question. Thanks in advance.

1. Where's a good place to buy a mattress set in Charlottesville? (I have read about people driving upto IKEA in DC(?) but I won't have a truck or anything to haul stuff so I need a place that delivers).

2. If you used Discover as your student lender, did you sign a Master Promissory Note that did not include a dollar figure for the loan amount? Is this how it is supposed to be or should I be looking to sign additional paperwork?

3. Any Idea when we might get our first loan check or deposit in our bank account? Do you have to set up direct deposit before you get to school?

4. When are we supposed to buy our books? Also, are most people buying supplements ahead of time or taking the wait-and-see approach as recommended by some posters?

Thanks!
Hera

1. I already have a mattress, but this is likely a good start: http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1CHMI ... s&resnum=1

2. Yes. The school will verify the amount with Discover.

3. The money is supposed to be disbursed to the school on August 9. Expect the money soon after that.

4. No idea. I'm sure gladiator could help. I'm going to buy the widely recommended supplements ahead of time (e.g., CivPro E&E), but most likely wait and see who my professors are. If I have Abraham for torts, for example, I'll buy his book.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 pm

showNprove wrote:
4. No idea. I'm sure gladiator could help. I'm going to buy the widely recommended supplements ahead of time (e.g., CivPro E&E), but most likely wait and see who my professors are. If I have Abraham for torts, for example, I'll buy his book.

Am I the only person who doesn't even know what the "widely recommended supplements" are and who hasn't done extensive research on my possible professors and the books they've written? It is times like these that I feel like an incredible underachiever who is going to fail miserably in the coming months...

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
showNprove wrote:

Am I the only person who doesn't even know what the "widely recommended supplements" are and who hasn't done extensive research on my possible professors and the books they've written? It is times like these that I feel like an incredible underachiever who is going to fail miserably in the coming months...

I'm with you actually. Maybe Gladiator could help us out again (for the millionth time). What are the four best to buy for our first semester classes? And can I ask one more question to Gladiator or anyone who knows... in as few words as possible, what is the difference between a Hornbook and the E and E series?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:27 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
showNprove wrote:

I'm with you actually. Maybe Gladiator could help us out again (for the millionth time). What are the four best to buy for our first semester classes? And can I ask one more question to Gladiator or anyone who knows... in as few words as possible, what is the difference between a Hornbook and the E and E series?

I'm kind of a bad person to ask because I didn't use any hornbooks but from what I can tell...

Torts- Abraham's book (some professors require this anyway)
Contracts- E&E? Not sure
CivPro- E&E
Crim- I think there's some hornbook but I forget the author
ConLaw- Chemerinsky
Property- E&E?

I think E&E is just a brand of hornbook. I think hornbooks are a waste of time and E&Es are only good for the practice questions but obviously most people disagree with me (or stupidly purchase them and waste their time, who knows). Given my dearth of knowledge on this topic, it's probably a good one to ask your PAs during orientation.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:45 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
showNprove wrote:

Don't feel that way. I haven't done any of that either. There's always going to be someone working harder than you. So what? Doesn't necessarily mean you're underachieving. It just means they are obsessive overachieving virgins.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm pretty sure 'what hornbook/e&e/flash card deck/purified legal snake oil' type discussions will be bountiful when the semester starts. I demand more talk of fast food joints, pool parties, and bars!

I wonder if there are any good karaoke joints. Always a fun way to make a fool of yourself.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Since school is approaching and sealocust is disappointed by the track of the conversation, the list of 20 restaurants you should go to upon becoming a resident of Charlottesville and their location. (leaving off the more obvious chains)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some/haven't been to some good ones but...
Arch's (ice cream)(Rt 29)
Aromas (Mediterranean)(Barracks)
Bodos (breakfast)(Rt 29/Corner)
Boylan Heights (burgers)(Corner)
Brick Oven (pizza)(Rt 29)
Buffalo Wild Wings (wings/burgers)(Barracks)
C & O (fancy)(Downtown)
Christian's (pizza)(Corner)
Continental Divide (Mexican)(Train Station)
Coupes (late night burgers/bar)
Crozet Pizza (pizza)(Crozet)
Five Guys (burgers)(Barracks)
Horse and Hound (semi-fancy)(Train Station)
Littlejohns (subs)(Corner)
Marco and Luca's (dumplings/sesame noodles)(Downtown)
Mellow Mushroom (pizza)(Corner)
Tara Thai (Thai)(Barracks)
Virginian (burgers/bar)(Corner)
West Main (brunch)(Train Station)
Wild Wing Cafe (wings/burgers)(Train Station)

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm

So where's the best place to get all my furniture? Bed, desk, chair, etc. Ikea seems a bit far away but I'll go there if I have to.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:
gladiator wrote:Since school is approaching and sealocust is disappointed by the track of the conversation, the list of 21 restaurants you should go to upon becoming a resident of Charlottesville and their location. (leaving off the more obvious chains)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some/haven't been to some good ones but...
Arch's (ice cream)(Rt 29)
Aromas (Mediterranean)(Barracks)
Bodos (breakfast)(Rt 29/Corner)
Boylan Heights (burgers)(Corner)
Brick Oven (pizza)(Rt 29)
Buffalo Wild Wings (wings/burgers)(Barracks)
C & O (fancy)(Downtown)
Chipotle (Mexican) (Barracks)
Christian's (pizza)(Corner)
Continental Divide (Mexican)(Train Station)
Coupes (late night burgers/bar)
Crozet Pizza (pizza)(Crozet)
Five Guys (burgers)(Barracks)
Horse and Hound (semi-fancy)(Train Station)
Littlejohns (subs)(Corner)
Marco and Luca's (dumplings/sesame noodles)(Downtown)
Mellow Mushroom (pizza)(Corner)
Tara Thai (Thai)(Barracks)
Virginian (burgers/bar)(Corner)
West Main (brunch)(Train Station)
Wild Wing Cafe (wings/burgers)(Train Station)

Fixed. But thanks ;D

Haha, so I spent a couple minutes staring at it trying to figure out what you added. Then it hit me. Duh!!!

monochrome

Postby monochrome » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 pm

i haven't done any hornbooks/e&e/etc. research either (i may or may not have just had to figure out what "e&e" stands for very recently) but i did approximately thirty seconds of research and this looks helpful: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949

now, back to discussing food... because if you don't eat, you won't have the strength to read your hornbooks/take your legal snake oil supplements, anyways.

green

Postby green » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:So where's the best place to get all my furniture? Bed, desk, chair, etc. Ikea seems a bit far away but I'll go there if I have to.

I had my bed shipped from out of town, but I got my desk and chair at Staples, and some of my other furniture at Target and Walmart. You have to put it all together, though.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 am

thesealocust wrote:I'm pretty sure 'what hornbook/e&e/flash card deck/purified legal snake oil' type discussions will be bountiful when the semester starts. I demand more talk of fast food joints, pool parties, and bars!

The idea is to buy these things on Amazon or Half.com before the semester starts... other than that... I agree.

monochrome

Postby monochrome » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 am

also, question-- any good sushi in charlottesville?

(i've been kind of MIA on TLS this summer but JUST finished catching up on this thread. can't wait to meet you all!)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:09 am

thesealocust wrote:I'm stoked just to have a harris teeter so close to the law school. At least the one I live near has an excellent combination of quality, variety, price, and atmosphere. I actually prefer it to the infamous Wegmans that people rave about for grocery shopping.

I just got back from H. Teets an hour ago. 24 hour grocery stores FTW.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:14 am

thesealocust wrote:I'm stoked just to have a harris teeter so close to the law school. At least the one I live near has an excellent combination of quality, variety, price, and atmosphere. I actually prefer it to the infamous Wegmans that people rave about for grocery shopping.

I haven't heard much chatter about the cafeteria in the law school. How are variety/price? I know we have access to a fridge/microwave by the dining area...

Oh and what's the bizarre sit-down type quasi-restaurant like?

(See, Gladiator - we need you! :D)

Not sure what you mean by the bold. The cafeteria is pretty meh but people eat there because it's easy. There's pizza, rotated hot food, sandwiches, and a probably not so fantastic attempt at sushi.

Other than Marco and Luca's which is kind of its own category, I can't say there are any great Chinese/Japanese places. Maybe there are some but there are just so many in Cville and I can't say any of them are distinguishable from what I've seen. You can get sushi but not sure about good sushi.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 am

Am I the only one who is not impressed with Christian's? Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast...

...where they know how to make pizza ;)

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 am

thesealocust wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Not sure what you mean by the bold.

What's the place directly across from the cafeteria? I thought it was sort of like a sit-down restaurant in the law school where people often took professors, but maybe my memory is totally off?

I've never been in there. When students take professors to lunch it's usually at outside restaurants as far as I know.

showNprove wrote:Am I the only one who is not impressed with Christian's? Maybe it's because I'm from the Northeast......where they know how to make pizza ;)

Yea, it's good, but probably overrated. I think I like Mellow Mushroom best just because it's different and not a 2nd rate attempt at mid-atlantic quality pizza.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:35 am

Anyone up for a day trip to VA beach before classes start? Maybe the weekend before orientation? I was thinking we could leave around 8 or 9, bring some beverages, food, a couple balls, and just chill and come back after dinner.

Anyone game?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:38 am

a.williams wrote:Anyone up for a day trip to VA beach before classes start? Maybe the weekend before orientation? I was thinking we could leave around 8 or 9, bring some beverages, food, a couple balls, and just chill and come back after dinner.

Anyone game?

My SO and I were actually seriously considering this at one point, and during that weekend, too. I will get back to you on that,

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”