UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abm256

New

Post by abm256 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:
abm256 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
iceberger wrote:Any non-virginians register for Virginia license plates yet? I'm trying to anticipate how painful this process will be. The dmv website doesn't make it seem like fun.
Is there a reason you have to do this? Given how much they screw VA drivers on tickets, I would advise against getting VA plates if you can avoid it.
Definitely should avoid getting Virginia plates. There is a personal property tax levied on Virginia vehicles. (It's an "annual" personal property tax, but you have to pay it every 6 months.) The tax is on top of the fees you'll pay for registering, new plates, etc... Obviously, the nicer your car is, the worse you get hit.

"The personal property tax rate is set by City Council in mid-April of each year. The rate is currently $4.20 per $100 of value (4.2%)." http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=413
"Personal property taxes are assessed each year by the Commissioner of Revenue's Office for all tangible personal property garaged within the City of Charlottesville. Taxes are due on June 5th and December 5th of each year." http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=411
It's more complicated than that... the property tax is partially repealed, but it varies by locality...
Well, the information I provided is from City of Charlottesville. Albemarle County has the same tax, but you pay it to the county instead. I just moved here and definitely had to pay the tax in June.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 pm

gladiator wrote:
iceberger wrote:Any non-virginians register for Virginia license plates yet? I'm trying to anticipate how painful this process will be. The dmv website doesn't make it seem like fun.
Is there a reason you have to do this? Given how much they screw VA drivers on tickets, I would advise against getting VA plates if you can avoid it.

Hmmm... I was under the impression you had to switch plates after you've moved there. If not, I guess I can just renew my Mississippi tags.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:33 pm

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
iceberger wrote:
gladiator wrote:

Hmmm... I was under the impression you had to switch plates after you've moved there. If not, I guess I can just renew my Mississippi tags.
As long as you're a full-time student (and not employed), you're exempt.
Ahh this is the key thing I was missing. Sorry for the panic guys and thanks YC!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:50 pm

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:29 pm

I hate dealing with Comcast. That is all.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Does anyone know if the free internet offered at Jeffersonian is totally crappy or not? I assume it will basically consist of about 1,300 people daisy chained to a single shitty DSL line making it all but worthless.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 pm

CE2JD wrote:Does anyone know if the free internet offered at Jeffersonian is totally crappy or not? I assume it will basically consist of about 1,300 people daisy chained to a single shitty DSL line making it all but worthless.
At least based on my friend's apartment at Jeffersonian, it's somewhat slow but not worthless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:43 pm

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Does anyone know if the free internet offered at Jeffersonian is totally crappy or not? I assume it will basically consist of about 1,300 people daisy chained to a single shitty DSL line making it all but worthless.
It's okay between 02:00 (am) to 17:00 if you don't live too far away from one of the wireless routers. During peak hours, it can get pretty bogged down (5-15 kbps download for me during peak times with the connection cutting in and out, although I'm about as far away as you can get from a router). I got Comcast Internet.
Wow... you actually got service from Comcast.

I've heard horror stories about Comcast so I figured if the free Internet at Jeffersonian was marginally functional, I'd pass on Comcast.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:55 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:26 am

I'm maintaining my out-of-state status. If they're not giving me lower tuition they're not getting taxes and fees for my car!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 am

Now that I'm no longer working and commuting to Richmond... I've been thinking, what do y'all think about a motorcycle or scooter for commuting to class? I'm living 2 miles away from the law school.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:29 am

UVA Law wrote:If you are a Virginia resident with Virginia tags and a current Virginia inspection sticker on your car, you will not need to have your car inspected in Charlottesville until the normal expiration date.

If you are an out-of-state resident and your car is used to drive a family member to and/or from work in the state of Virginia, you must register that car. Work performed for scholarships or grants puts your car into the "must-register" category.

If there are two or more cars in the household and one member of the household is a full-time student, the car(s) used for transportation by the student does not have to be registered. The car used for transportation to and/or from work by a person must be registered. You must register at least one car if you are earning income in the state of Virginia, even if you are using other means of transportation.

By law, car registration is required within 30 days of moving to Virginia. If you have recently purchased a car, you need to register your car (purchase tags) and have your car inspected, unless these tasks have already been completed by the previous owner. However, as long as one family member is a full-time student and no one in the family is earning income in the state of Virginia, you may retain "out-of-state" status. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm
Does anyone know how this applies to me if my car is already registered in VA but it is in a different locality? My car is still in my Mom's name and I have no real reason to bother going through with the hassle of changing it. I also don't want to lose my specialty plates which will happen if we put it in my name.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 am

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
UVA Law wrote:If you are a Virginia resident with Virginia tags and a current Virginia inspection sticker on your car, you will not need to have your car inspected in Charlottesville until the normal expiration date.

If you are an out-of-state resident and your car is used to drive a family member to and/or from work in the state of Virginia, you must register that car. Work performed for scholarships or grants puts your car into the "must-register" category.

If there are two or more cars in the household and one member of the household is a full-time student, the car(s) used for transportation by the student does not have to be registered. The car used for transportation to and/or from work by a person must be registered. You must register at least one car if you are earning income in the state of Virginia, even if you are using other means of transportation.

By law, car registration is required within 30 days of moving to Virginia. If you have recently purchased a car, you need to register your car (purchase tags) and have your car inspected, unless these tasks have already been completed by the previous owner. However, as long as one family member is a full-time student and no one in the family is earning income in the state of Virginia, you may retain "out-of-state" status. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm
Does anyone know how this applies to me if my car is already registered in VA but it is in a different locality? My car is still in my Mom's name and I have no real reason to bother going through with the hassle of changing it. I also don't want to lose my specialty plates which will happen if we put it in my name.
UVA Law wrote:Tax (Virginia Personal Property Tax)

All persons residing in Virginia who own automobiles are subject to a personal property tax based on the average loan value ("blue book" value) of their automobile. This is filed when city or county tags are purchased. The first half of the tax is due June 5 and the second half is due December 5.

If you are a resident of another part of Virginia, read carefully: By a strange quirk in the law, students who have residency in another part of Virginia (not in Charlottesville or Albemarle County) and are not locally employed, but own their own automobiles must pay the personal property tax in their home county or city—that is, their place of residency.

On the other hand, if your car is owned by your parents, or by you and your parents, you must pay the local (Charlottesville or Albemarle County) property tax (even if you are a resident of another part of Virginia). You can give a copy of your personal property tax receipt to the local authorities in your home county or city to prove you have already paid the tax. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm
Good thing my car is worth practically nothing. If I dinged the bumper the insurance company would probably total it.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:

UVA Law wrote:Tax (Virginia Personal Property Tax)

All persons residing in Virginia who own automobiles are subject to a personal property tax based on the average loan value ("blue book" value) of their automobile. This is filed when city or county tags are purchased. The first half of the tax is due June 5 and the second half is due December 5.

If you are a resident of another part of Virginia, read carefully: By a strange quirk in the law, students who have residency in another part of Virginia (not in Charlottesville or Albemarle County) and are not locally employed, but own their own automobiles must pay the personal property tax in their home county or city—that is, their place of residency.

On the other hand, if your car is owned by your parents, or by you and your parents, you must pay the local (Charlottesville or Albemarle County) property tax (even if you are a resident of another part of Virginia). You can give a copy of your personal property tax receipt to the local authorities in your home county or city to prove you have already paid the tax. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/inside ... obiles.htm
It doesn't say anything about registration, so maybe it's just a matter of taxation.

Hmm. That is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What if I've already paid this year's taxes at home? This seems really absurd.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Can anyone direct me to the direct deposit form? I can't find it.

abm256

New

Post by abm256 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 pm

It's true the tax was partially repealed, but that doesn't mean there is no tax. In June we were sent a several hundred dollar personal property tax bill for our two vehicles. Even my 10-year-old junker had about an $80 tax for the year. Our newer Jeep was significantly more.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:12 pm

limegreen wrote:Can anyone direct me to the direct deposit form? I can't find it.
That reminds me, I still have to do mine. It's posted here: http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts/forms.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”