UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:38 pm

CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Did anyone else that already completed loan counseling get an email saying they had something on their to do list and it is loan counseling? I really don't want to do it again...
Yeah, I got the same email. I'm not doing it again.

UVA's law school administration has had a lackluster performance IMO wrt the class of 2012 thus far.
Don't get me started on their performance with our class lately. I do love this school but the administration could use a tune up.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:44 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:How do we find out our ID numbers? Do we already have them or are they not granted until we get our ID cards?
https://whois.virginia.edu/uid/
Hmm, didn't work for me. What is the "UVa Student System ID Number"? I don't remember ever getting that.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 pm

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:How do we find out our ID numbers? Do we already have them or are they not granted until we get our ID cards?
https://whois.virginia.edu/uid/
Hmm, didn't work for me. What is the "UVa Student System ID Number"? I don't remember ever getting that.
It's from an email titled "RE: Information on Applying for Financial Aid at the University of Virginia School of Law" from "Virginia Law Admissions." I got mine January 29, 2009. Your UVa Student Information System ID is located at the conclusion of the email.
Bingo. Thanks YC. I don't how I didn't remember to put in that number.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Talked to the director of financial aid a short time ago and she told me not to worry if the loan counseling shows up in your to-do list and you have already done it. If its still there mid next week, call them, but they are just doing the updates to the SIS system in stages. She said they were going to get a few updates in the next couple days and it should take care of itself.

She was very helpful and nice and the rest of the office has been too. The software is just new and they are switching over in chunks and correcting stuff as they go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:My sarcasm goes undetected? :cry:
That's what I get for posting at 4AM after scrubbing my bathroom. This whole "I'm gonna move across the country soon" thing is starting to wear on me, I'll be glad when it's over.

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:
gladiator wrote:You guys should count all the posts I've made and deduct them from the 2012 count so you can beat the record on your own.
lmao, you must have confidence issues. Turned down the invite to our facebook group, now you're trying to remove all of your posts from 'counting' in our threads EXTREMELY important climb to 'larger than last years' :P
I haven't posted much the UVA '12 thread so I may be out of the loop here - what Facebook group?

green

Bronze

Post by green » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
gladiator wrote:You guys should count all the posts I've made and deduct them from the 2012 count so you can beat the record on your own.
lmao, you must have confidence issues. Turned down the invite to our facebook group, now you're trying to remove all of your posts from 'counting' in our threads EXTREMELY important climb to 'larger than last years' :P
I haven't posted much the UVA '12 thread so I may be out of the loop here - what Facebook group?
Only the most awesome facebook group you can imagine.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I think we all should be given power to invite people to the Facebook group. It should be a lot larger than it currently is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think we all should be given power to invite people to the Facebook group. It should be a lot larger than it currently is.
but it's secret... shhh

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:08 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 pm

I see, so it's some sort of secret society huh. Well in that case I know asking to join will be of no use. :lol:

Off-topic...can anyone who has already moved into Ivy Gardens provide some estimates of your monthly utility bills? Also, I've heard that NTC (cable/internet) has a monopoly and is a ripoff. Is it true that they make you pay for individual internet access accounts (meaning that if you have 2 roommates you can't split the internet bill 3 ways - you each need to get your own service) ?

hegel325

New

Post by hegel325 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:02 am

gladiator wrote:This won't mean much to you all yet since you don't have sections but here's the schedule...

Fall:
Section B has no Friday classes
Section C has no Friday classes if Mahoney chooses not to teach on a given Friday
All other sections have 1 or 2 Friday morning classes, none in the afternoon

Spring:
ConLaw will be the 10 AM slot
Property will be the 2 PM slot
B, G, and L have Property 2 PM Fridays
A, C, F, and J have ConLaw 10 AM Fridays
A, C, and F have LRW 2 PM Fridays, B, G, and L have LRW 10 AM Fridays (which really sucks for them)
The other 5 sections have Fridays off if they can find non-Friday electives in the Spring

The professors with * next to their names are the ones I'd consider "all-stars" but obviously I haven't had most of them and there are differing opinions so don't take them too seriously.

Section A:
Contracts (A)- George Cohen
CrimLaw (A, I, K)- Anne Coughlin*
Torts (A, B, F)- Ken Abraham*
CivPro (A, D)- Greg Mitchell*
ConLaw (A, C)- Mary Magill
Property (A, I)- John Harrison*
LRW- Karen Moran

Section B:
Contracts (B)- Michael Dooley
CrimLaw (B, C)- Richard Bonnie
CivPro (B, I)- Larry Walker
ConLaw (B, H)- Fred Schauer
Property (B, G, L)- Julia Mahoney
LRW- Karen Moran

Section C:
Contracts (C, E, J)- Paul Mahoney*
CrimLaw (B, C)- Richard Bonnie
Torts (C, D, I)- Barbara Armacost
CivPro (C)- Ann Woolhandler
ConLaw (A, C)- Mary Magill
Property (C, K)- Alex Johnson
LRW- Ruth Buck

Section D:
Contracts (D, H, L)- George Geis*
CrimLaw (D)- Rachel Harmon
CivPro (A, D)- Greg Mitchell*
ConLaw (D, K)- Julia Mahoney
Property (D, E, F)- Lillian BeVier*
LRW- Karen Moran

Section E:
CrimLaw (E)- Josh Bowers
Torts (E, G)- Charles Barzun
CivPro (E, K)- Caleb Nelson*
ConLaw (E, G)- Kim Forde-Mazrui
LRW- Ruth Buck

Section F:
Contracts (F)- Rich Hynes
CrimLaw (F, H, J)- Darryl Brown
CivPro (F, G, H)- Michael Collins*
ConLaw (F, J)- Thomas Nachbar
LRW- Sarah Stewart

Section G:
Contracts (G)- J H Verkerke
CrimLaw (G, L)- Peter Low
Torts (E, G)- Charles Barzun
ConLaw (E, G)- Kim Forde-Mazrui
LRW- Ruth Buck

Section H:
Torts (H)- Jeffrey O'Connell
ConLaw (B, H)- Fred Schauer
Property (H, J)- Margo Bagley
LRW- Sarah Stewart

Section I:
Contracts (I)- Alex Johnson
CivPro (B, I)- Larry Walker
ConLaw (I, L)- Tomiko Brown-Nagin
Property (A, I)- John Harrison*
LRW- Ruth Buck

Section J:
Torts (J, K, L)- John Harrison*
CivPro (J)- Brandon Garrett
ConLaw (F, J)- Thomas Nachbar
Property (H, J)- Margo Bagley
LRW- Karen Moran

Section K:
Contracts (K)- John Setear
CivPro (E, K)- Caleb Nelson*
ConLaw (D, K)- Julia Mahoney
Property (C, K)- Alex Johnson
LRW- Sarah Stewart

Section L:
CrimLaw (G, L)- Peter Low
CivPro (L)- Kent Sinclair
ConLaw (I, L)- Tomiko Brown-Nagin
LRW- Sarah Stewart
I'm transferred from LLM so I'll only have to take CrimLaw, Torts, Property and LRW with a JD section next year.

Just heard that I got to choose which section to be with, so based on this guess I'll have to stick with Section A lol

If that happens then all of my 1L courses would be all-star (took Contracts with Kraus, CivPro with Nelson and ConLaw with Ryan last year)

The only problem is Section A will have LRW on Friday afternoons for spring, which is messed up

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:07 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:09 am

Interesting article about the Dean's testimony before Congress:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ngress.htm

hegel325

New

Post by hegel325 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 am

thesealocust wrote:Transferred from LLM - how does that work, I'm curious?
basically for a UVA LLM who wants to transfer to JD, all they need is a grade above b+ (graded with JDs), and of course application form and personal statement and recommendation letters and all the stuffs all over again. LSAT is waived though

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:48 am

hegel325 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Transferred from LLM - how does that work, I'm curious?
basically for a UVA LLM who wants to transfer to JD, all they need is a grade above b+ (graded with JDs), and of course application form and personal statement and recommendation letters and all the stuffs all over again. LSAT is waived though
nationality?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am

EyeBeeM wrote:I see, so it's some sort of secret society huh. Well in that case I know asking to join will be of no use. :lol:

Off-topic...can anyone who has already moved into Ivy Gardens provide some estimates of your monthly utility bills? Also, I've heard that NTC (cable/internet) has a monopoly and is a ripoff. Is it true that they make you pay for individual internet access accounts (meaning that if you have 2 roommates you can't split the internet bill 3 ways - you each need to get your own service) ?
just moved in so not sure about the exact utility amounts yet but ntc cable is like $52/mo plus $16 i think if you want hbo and a few other premium channels. internet is $25 a person, but you just activate one and plug in a wireless router and you are good to go for everyone in your apt. (they even told me to do this over the phone).

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:16 pm

jase1348 wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:I see, so it's some sort of secret society huh. Well in that case I know asking to join will be of no use. :lol:

just moved in so not sure about the exact utility amounts yet but ntc cable is like $52/mo plus $16 i think if you want hbo and a few other premium channels. internet is $25 a person, but you just activate one and plug in a wireless router and you are good to go for everyone in your apt. (they even told me to do this over the phone).
$52 per month for cable is insanely expensive! That's surprising that they told you to use a wireless router. I've read that using a wireless router was prohibited.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:57 pm

a.williams wrote:Interesting article about the Dean's testimony before Congress:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ngress.htm
I agree 100% with Mahoney on this one.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:
jase1348 wrote:

$52 per month for cable is insanely expensive! That's surprising that they told you to use a wireless router. I've read that using a wireless router was prohibited.
Really? I'll be getting cable for $29.99, but only for a year before it goes doubles to $60.00 with Comcast.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Any non-virginians register for Virginia license plates yet? I'm trying to anticipate how painful this process will be. The dmv website doesn't make it seem like fun.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:11 pm

iceberger wrote:Any non-virginians register for Virginia license plates yet? I'm trying to anticipate how painful this process will be. The dmv website doesn't make it seem like fun.
Is there a reason you have to do this? Given how much they screw VA drivers on tickets, I would advise against getting VA plates if you can avoid it.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:44 pm

gladiator wrote:
iceberger wrote:Any non-virginians register for Virginia license plates yet? I'm trying to anticipate how painful this process will be. The dmv website doesn't make it seem like fun.
Is there a reason you have to do this? Given how much they screw VA drivers on tickets, I would advise against getting VA plates if you can avoid it.
If anyone else has already started the process of switching plates/licenses, I am curious too. I am not going to do it, but my bf is needing to in order to try and gain residency next year.

abm256

New

Post by abm256 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:49 pm

gladiator wrote:
Definitely should avoid getting Virginia plates. There is a personal property tax levied on Virginia vehicles. (It's an "annual" personal property tax, but you have to pay it every 6 months.) The tax is on top of the fees you'll pay for registering, new plates, etc... Obviously, the nicer your car is, the worse you get hit.

"The personal property tax rate is set by City Council in mid-April of each year. The rate is currently $4.20 per $100 of value (4.2%)." http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=413
"Personal property taxes are assessed each year by the Commissioner of Revenue's Office for all tangible personal property garaged within the City of Charlottesville. Taxes are due on June 5th and December 5th of each year." http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=411

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”