UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby green » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Glad they came when they did, I don't want to be caught in the same town as them.

You do realize that Charlottesville is basically a miniature Democratic political machine, right? There are some McCain bumper stickers around, though. Not many, but some.


Then again, the law school itself is probably one of the most conservative in the country, at least among top law schools. I mean, we're not exactly liberty, but I got the impression that us libruls aren't going to be as comically over-represented as usual.


I got the sense that UVA is fairly healthy mix of liberal and conservative viewpoints, and one of the students at the ASW I attended agreed with this. I think that's ideal. My UG was one big boring liberal echo chamber.


A twenty year old at my UG was elected county treasurer over the sixty year old Republican incumbent during the 2008 election, and after the election she didn't do anything for her job (didn't even show up to the office for long stretches of time and could not be reached on the phone from what I've heard). The thing is, a lot of the people who voted for her didn't even know she was a college student; they just voted with the party.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Glad they came when they did, I don't want to be caught in the same town as them.


I knew I should have gone to a law school with more of a liberal bias... Are you going to spit on the statue / mock trial award from kennedy whenever you walk by :P

Nah, I would probably only do something like that if he came to the school in person :D

But seriously, I'm excited to be going to a school where there are actually conservatives. UW was just far too left-wing. The student senate even voted down building a monument to honor an alum who won a Medal of Honor in World War II because, as one student put it, "A marine is not the type of person we should aim to produce."

FeElMyEiRe
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby FeElMyEiRe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Considering the fact that I'm a bleeding heart liberal from the vast conservative expanse that is South Dakota, I'm very much looking forward to attending a school that has more than one democrat. I guess it's all perspective

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Cavalier wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Glad they came when they did, I don't want to be caught in the same town as them.


I knew I should have gone to a law school with more of a liberal bias... Are you going to spit on the statue / mock trial award from kennedy whenever you walk by :P

Nah, I would probably only do something like that if he came to the school in person :D

But seriously, I'm excited to be going to a school where there are actually conservatives. UW was just far too left-wing. The student senate even voted down building a monument to honor an alum who won a Medal of Honor in World War II because, as one student put it, "A marine is not the type of person we should aim to produce."

:shock:

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Hopefully UVA fosters discussion of both sides of mainstream political issues rather than seeing everyone resort to the "LOL YOU'RE A CONSERVATIVE" argument. I get the feeling from ASW etc. that I'll see more of the former than the latter, even though I think there's a fairly large majority of leftists in the student body.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 pm

..

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 pm

For the most part, keep it out of the classroom. It's very dull to listen to people spout off their political views in class. I've found that people are willing to have good conversations outside of the classroom when we're just talking but in class it becomes annoying to listen to the token liberals and conservatives put in their predictable two cents all the time when it's fairly often distracting from the purpose of the class.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Lies! I'm going to volunteer my opinion on every issue the professor raises!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 pm

..

green
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby green » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm

CE2JD wrote:Hopefully UVA fosters discussion of both sides of mainstream political issues rather than seeing everyone resort to the "LOL YOU'RE A CONSERVATIVE" argument. I get the feeling from ASW etc. that I'll see more of the former than the latter, even though I think there's a fairly large majority of leftists in the student body.


Somebody at one of the ASWs asked the students about this and they said they thought it was about a 50/50 split, which seems great to me.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 pm

gladiator wrote:For the most part, keep it out of the classroom. It's very dull to listen to people spout off their political views in class. I've found that people are willing to have good conversations outside of the classroom when we're just talking but in class it becomes annoying to listen to the token liberals and conservatives put in their predictable two cents all the time when it's fairly often distracting from the purpose of the class.


I understand that constantly spouting the party line on issues would be annoying, but certainly there are situations, such as in ConLaw, in which you must choose a side and argue for it. I doubt everyone is always arbitrarily picking a side to argue for. There's got to be a little bit of political motivation behind some answers.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasofbase2001
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Federalist society... here i come!!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:47 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:Federalist society... here i come!!


Sarcasm?

User avatar
Carnertine
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Carnertine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm

CE2JD wrote:Hopefully UVA fosters discussion of both sides of mainstream political issues rather than seeing everyone resort to the "LOL YOU'RE A CONSERVATIVE" argument. I get the feeling from ASW etc. that I'll see more of the former than the latter, even though I think there's a fairly large majority of leftists in the student body.


RACIST

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Carnertine wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Hopefully UVA fosters discussion of both sides of mainstream political issues rather than seeing everyone resort to the "LOL YOU'RE A CONSERVATIVE" argument. I get the feeling from ASW etc. that I'll see more of the former than the latter, even though I think there's a fairly large majority of leftists in the student body.


RACIST


I'll cut you kyle. Don't make me do it.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 pm

CE2JD wrote:
gladiator wrote:For the most part, keep it out of the classroom. It's very dull to listen to people spout off their political views in class. I've found that people are willing to have good conversations outside of the classroom when we're just talking but in class it becomes annoying to listen to the token liberals and conservatives put in their predictable two cents all the time when it's fairly often distracting from the purpose of the class.


I understand that constantly spouting the party line on issues would be annoying, but certainly there are situations, such as in ConLaw, in which you must choose a side and argue for it. I doubt everyone is always arbitrarily picking a side to argue for. There's got to be a little bit of political motivation behind some answers.


You don't necessarily have to speak up in class but obviously I'm not saying all political opinions whatsoever must be kept to oneself. It just becomes painfully obvious when someone is spouting off their political views and not dealing with the case at hand.

User avatar
Carnertine
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Carnertine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:54 pm

CE2JD wrote:I'll be holding down the old crusty conservative viewpoint on at least a few issues.



Yes, I will be your punching bag.


Punch punch Racist mofo punch

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Carnertine wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I'll be holding down the old crusty conservative viewpoint on at least a few issues.



Yes, I will be your punching bag.


Punch punch Racist mofo punch


Gimmie a break kyle. We all know you're the one that would get beat up in prison you child molesting weirdo.

User avatar
Carnertine
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Carnertine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Carnertine wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I'll be holding down the old crusty conservative viewpoint on at least a few issues.



Yes, I will be your punching bag.


Punch punch Racist mofo punch


Gimmie a break kyle. We all know you're the one that would get beat up in prison you child molesting weirdo.


Dude, he looked 18. Fucking myspace lying whores

jasofbase2001
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:01 am

CE2JD wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Federalist society... here i come!!


Sarcasm?


Yes. Even though I am conservative. I just don't want people to google my name and figure out a bunch of stuff about me.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:02 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Federalist society... here i come!!


Sarcasm?


Yes. Even though I am conservative. I just don't want people to google my name and figure out a bunch of stuff about me.


Well if they Google my name they'll find out that I contributed to the Obama campaign which will certainly be misleading.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 am

And this post officially makes our thread as long as the UVA Class of 2011 thread! Time to celebrate!

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest