UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:06 pm

a.williams wrote:
napolnic wrote:
a.williams wrote:
napolnic wrote:Could be fun. Also, what do we know about the bolded?

edit: nevermind, apparently I haven't obsessed about the orientation schedule enough because it's clearly written as the first (optional) events.


What's the movie?

Both the movie and the topic are listed as TBA. (actually, the schedule says "Move: TBA", but it's pretty clear what they meant)


I hope its good and possibly not law related.

Well, it'll probably have something to do with law, but probably not directly? IDK, like, maybe "Double Jeopardy"? but that would be horrible and they wouldn't do that to us.

green
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby green » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Double Jeopardy? Good God.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Last year during the movie we played a pickup softball game. I think we made the right choice.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:09 pm

gladiator wrote:Last year during the movie we played a pickup softball game. I think we made the right choice.

I will never find a reason to question your dedication to softball.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm

abm256 wrote:
Last year it was Gattaca.


Ooh. I'd be fine with it being Gattaca again. It's inspirational stuff.

green
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby green » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Yeah, I think I might do the public service thing. I probably won't be doing anything else that day anyway. Movie sounds interesting, though it'd be good to know what the lecture is about too.

User avatar
Jim_Stansel
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Jim_Stansel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Speaking of law-related movies, I just watched Michael Clayton on Netflix. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen recently, Tom Wilkinson is a great actor.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Well my nightmare has ended. I passed the patent bar today.


Now I can actually start to relax before law school. 8)

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

CE2JD wrote:Well my nightmare has ended. I passed the patent bar today.


Now I can actually start to relax before law school. 8)

congrats! I'd say go have a drink, but...

User avatar
Jim_Stansel
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Jim_Stansel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

good job, congrats mayn

User avatar
Jim_Stansel
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Jim_Stansel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 pm

napolnic wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Well my nightmare has ended. I passed the patent bar today.


Now I can actually start to relax before law school. 8)

congrats! I'd say go have a drink, but...


but... ?

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Man that was a long test. The software was so crappy I felt like I was playing Oregon Trail for 6 hours.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:31 pm

CE2JD wrote:Man that was a long test. The software was so crappy I felt like I was playing Oregon Trail for 6 hours.

So it's computerized? and you get the score right after? Where's the fun in that? where's the hours of hair pulling for the score to come out? WHAT ABOUT BOXES!?!? Shenanigans.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 pm

..

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

CE2JD wrote:Well my nightmare has ended. I passed the patent bar today.


Now I can actually start to relax before law school. 8)


Congrats!

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm

CE2JD wrote:Man that was a long test. The software was so crappy I felt like I was playing Oregon Trail for 6 hours.


I kind of like Oregon Trail... I remember going to the science museum of Virginia and playing it in their computer lab...

User avatar
ILikeIke
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby ILikeIke » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Congrats, CE2JD! I'm sure it's a relief to have that over with.

And I hope you won't mind if I pick your brain about it when I start getting ready to take it myself. :)

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks guys!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:20 pm

ILikeIke wrote:And I hope you won't mind if I pick your brain about it when I start getting ready to take it myself. :)


any time

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 pm

For those of you looking for a sample of what your class syllabus might look like in the fall, Professor Mitchell's CivPro syllabus is up on LawWeb under Current Courses. He tends to assign a little more reading than the average professor to place him in the range.

User avatar
SteelersandGators
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby SteelersandGators » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

gladiator wrote:For those of you looking for a sample of what your class syllabus might look like in the fall, Professor Mitchell's CivPro syllabus is up on LawWeb under Current Courses. He tends to assign a little more reading than the average professor to place him in the range.


On that note, Professor Mitchell is the coolest dood around

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:29 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Class 26 (Oct. 22, 2009) Summary Judgment Practice

Additional
Assignment: Two students will be randomly selected to argue the summary judgment motion in the Garvin v. Camelot Care Centers case. Students with last names beginning A-M should be prepared to argue the motion on behalf of the Defendant, and students with last names beginning N-Z should be prepared to respond to the motion on behalf of the Plaintiff. All students should be prepared to argue the motion; no passes accepted for this assignment.


I'm not sure if that sounds awesome or terrible, lol


Well it's only 2 people out of 60 so the odds are you won't have to go. It is somewhat terrifying to stand at the podium while he grills you in front of the class but if you want to do litigation and/or can convince yourself that it's good practice and doesn't count for anything, it could be a good experience. It's really nothing to worry about though and I'm not sure whether any of the other CivPro professors did something similar or not.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 pm

gladiator wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Class 26 (Oct. 22, 2009) Summary Judgment Practice

Additional
Assignment: Two students will be randomly selected to argue the summary judgment motion in the Garvin v. Camelot Care Centers case. Students with last names beginning A-M should be prepared to argue the motion on behalf of the Defendant, and students with last names beginning N-Z should be prepared to respond to the motion on behalf of the Plaintiff. All students should be prepared to argue the motion; no passes accepted for this assignment.


I'm not sure if that sounds awesome or terrible, lol


Well it's only 2 people out of 60 so the odds are you won't have to go. It is somewhat terrifying to stand at the podium while he grills you in front of the class but if you want to do litigation and/or can convince yourself that it's good practice and doesn't count for anything, it could be a good experience. It's really nothing to worry about though and I'm not sure whether any of the other CivPro professors did something similar or not.

For some reason, I feel that will be my saving grace in law school. No matter how stressful the year (minus exams) is, it doesn't matter. If you look like a complete fool in class and kick ass at the end of the year, you still kick ass. (for some reason, my calm does not extend to the fact that I won't necessarily kick ass, cognitive dissonance FTW)

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 am

I sort of hate those odds. I obviously don't want to come in unprepared in case I do get called, but I hate spending so much time preparing for something that is very unlikely to occur.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest