UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 am

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 am

If you guys are really antsy and want to buy something, purchase medium binder clips and some rubber bands, you'll thank me in February when you're scrambling during your journal tryout.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:36 am

YCrevolution wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:For CrimLaw, all the professors have assigned ISBN 9780820564722 and for LRW, all profs have assigned ISBN 0-6141-9943-3 and ISBN 9781583607879. Unfortunately, the two of those that Amazon stocks, Amazon's price is actually a couple of dollars more than LawBooksForLess, but if anyone wanted to get used copies, those books look like they'll be required no matter what section you're in.
ISBN 0-6141-9943-3 doesn't match the edition/year though of the title/picture (there's a newer 18th/2005 edition which the description lists with ISBN 978-6000143299). It might still be cheaper from LawBooksForLess than Amazon.com in this case if shipping is free/cheaper (I think you have to go over $49 to get free shipping).
Wow, good catch- I just copied the ISBN that was listed in the little description, I didn't notice it didn't match the picture. FWIW, Amazon does not seem to have the 18th edition in stock.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 am

thesealocust wrote:oh goody, we can gun each other to pieces over legal research methods for the next 3 weeks. I think I'll pass :P
Hahahaha- please note, I didn't say anything about reading the LRW book early, just that if anyone wanted to buy used books ahead of time to save money, they could.

Personally, I am currently shopping for a mattress, a crock pot, and possibly Rock Band (if anyone will play with me?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am

Are you guys buying books used or new? The used prices on Amazon are much more reasonable, but you have to deal with highlighting and notes in the margin, and I know people have recommended buying new to me. Maybe Gladiator has some insight?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am

green wrote:Are you guys buying books used or new? The used prices on Amazon are much more reasonable, but you have to deal with highlighting and notes in the margin, and I know people have recommended buying new to me. Maybe Gladiator has some insight?
I bought all new books. In the Fall I just bought them from the bookstore, spring I got them new from Amazon but didn't really save that much. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with buying used books though if you can navigate around whatever marks are in there.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 am

thesealocust wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:
thesealocust wrote:oh goody, we can gun each other to pieces over legal research methods for the next 3 weeks. I think I'll pass :P
Hahahaha- please note, I didn't say anything about reading the LRW book early, just that if anyone wanted to buy used books ahead of time to save money, they could.

Personally, I am currently shopping for a mattress, a crock pot, and possibly Rock Band (if anyone will play with me?).
oh goody, we can gun each otehr to pieces over rock band and crock pots for the next 3 weeks ;D
Lol. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 am

ILikeIke wrote:

I don't know if you are already in Charlottesville, but yesterday I was at Walmart and they have crockpots in the clearance section. I don't remember how much they were because I already have one, but seeing how it was at walmart and on sale, it couldn't be expensive.

I am counting on the crockpot to be my comfort food savior this winter around exam time. Recommendation: Chipotle at home! Layer chicken, rice, black beans, salsa in the crock pot; let simmer 8 hours, come home and make a delicious burrito. The hardest work you have to do is getting the cheese, sour cream, and guacamole out of the fridge.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 am

green wrote:Are you guys buying books used or new? The used prices on Amazon are much more reasonable, but you have to deal with highlighting and notes in the margin, and I know people have recommended buying new to me. Maybe Gladiator has some insight?
I think I'm going to buy new books. I really don't like having stuff written in my books and I don't know if I want to deal with the whole buy, find on Amazon, return, etc. during the first few weeks of classes.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:23 am

Personally, I've pretty much always bought new books and will continue to do so. I just don't like having to deal with someone else's highlighting in my books.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:29 am

ILikeIke wrote:
Personally, I've pretty much always bought new books and will continue to do so. I just don't like having to deal with someone else's highlighting in my books.
Same here. I just wish I could go back in time to UG and buy every book used and return all the books I wasn't going to read anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 am

ILikeIke wrote:

Rock band? Awesome, I hardly played it since college. I wonder if I can still do expert...

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14 pm

I'll play too! Though I've only played guitar hero before...

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 pm

a.williams, did you hear back about your Discover card application yet?

I just talked to a rep and she said I'm good to go once I can get them copy of tuition bill and proof of residency. Unfortunately I don't think I can get them the latter until I'm actually down there.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:a.williams, did you hear back about your Discover card application yet?

I just talked to a rep and she said I'm good to go once I can get them copy of tuition bill and proof of residency. Unfortunately I don't think I can get them the latter until I'm actually down there.
No I haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping to soon, but I'm not expecting to get it at this point. Did you contact them or did they contact you and when?

Edit: I checked the status of my application on the website and this is what it said:
Discover wrote:Your application is being processed. We have received your information but need to perform additional processing before we can provide you with a decision. You will hear from us within 30 days of your application being submitted.

Please check back in the future to get an update on the status of your application.
You get anything like this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kat86

New

Post by Kat86 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Question for a rising 2L or 3L, is it unrealistic to think I'll be able to make it to a few of my undergrads football game weekends? ie. FL/Ga wkend? Also, do a lot of people skip classes the rest of the week of fall break in Oct. or is that not possible?

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm not a 2L or 3L, but I am definitely planning on heading back to Virginia Tech for some Hokie football this fall! Though of course it makes it easier that we're playing UVa in Charlottesville...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Kat86 wrote:Question for a rising 2L or 3L, is it unrealistic to think I'll be able to make it to a few of my undergrads football game weekends? ie. FL/Ga wkend? Also, do a lot of people skip classes the rest of the week of fall break in Oct. or is that not possible?
It really depends what weekend. One thing to consider is how much you don't mind missing UVa events. There are a lot of events on weekends throughout the fall (PILA Auction, 1L Softball Tournament, Foxfields, UVA football games, etc) but none of them are required so if going to your undergrad is more of a personal priority, you can make it happen. At the same time, law school isn't a piece of cake so keep in mind that presumably long trips will take a lot of time out of your weekends that you won't be able to use for reading for class and working on LRW assignments. So while I definitely wouldn't say it's impossible or unrealistic, keep in mind you are playing with fire a little bit.

UF will frequently be on TV and there is a small representation from UF here if you just wanted to watch the games instead of taking the time and expense of a trip.

Note: I checked and UF/UGA is on Halloween this year so you'd be missing the big Halloween party that night and a major LRW assignment might be due around then depending how the weeks fall.
Last edited by gladiator on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:50 pm

a.williams wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:a.williams, did you hear back about your Discover card application yet?

No I haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping to soon, but I'm not expecting to get it at this point. Did you contact them or did they contact you and when?

Edit: I checked the status of my application on the website and this is what it said:
Discover wrote:Your application is being processed. We have received your information but need to perform additional processing before we can provide you with a decision. You will hear from us within 30 days of your application being submitted.

Please check back in the future to get an update on the status of your application.
I initially got that message you quoted in an automated e-mail from them right after I applied.

Then, yesterday, I got another e-mail asking me to call them because they unsuccessfully tried to contact me "many times" to "verify some missing information" (no phone calls from them so I don't how they tried to contact me, telepathy maybe), so just this morning I called the number they gave me: 1-866-240-7926. I specifically said to the rep, "So I will be approved once I give you that information?" and she said yes. I have no credit so I don't see why you wouldn't be approved too (unless you have absolutely awful credit).

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
a.williams wrote:

I initially got that message you quoted in an automated e-mail from them right after I applied.

Then, yesterday, I got another e-mail asking me to call them because they unsuccessfully tried to contact me "many times" to "verify some missing information" (no phone calls from them so I don't how they tried to contact me, telepathy maybe), so just this morning I called the number they gave me: 1-866-240-7926. I specifically said to the rep, "So I will be approved once I give you that information?" and she said yes. I have no credit so I don't see why you wouldn't be approved too (unless you have absolutely awful credit).
I don't have awful credit, but I don't have good credit either. We'll see what happens.
YCrevolution wrote:Mine said the same thing until they called me.
How long did it take them to call you?

hokie09

New

Post by hokie09 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Anyone submit their computer receipt to get additional loan money?

I sent mine over and got an email saying that my estimated loan amount would be adjusted but haven't seen any change on SIS, etc. I'm wondering if it just hasn't gone through yet or if there was something else that I forgot to do and missed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”