UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jasofbase2001

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm

limegreen wrote:
applepie wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:
limegreen wrote:I have an important wardrobe question for gladiator or anyone else who knows.

Do I need a suit for anything this coming fall? I am a girl, so I am talking strictly about school or employer related things, not any events that I could wear a cocktail dress or something similar while a guy is wearing a suit or sports coat.

I assume I will need one in the spring, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy one now before school starts or if I can wait until December ish.

I'd recommend at least getting a cheap suit or a businessy type of dress, so that you don't have to try and find one on short notice if something pops up. Having to find an outfit on short notice makes me pretty stressed, and it seems probable that a suit/dress could be needed at some point this year.

I'll be suit shopping sometime in the fall semester, probably around Thanksgiving as I don't even have a jacket. So here's to hoping that nothing pops up. When it comes time to shop, I'll need a guide to where to find suits in Virginia/what is appropriate for law school in terms of fit.

Yea, I think for now I'd rather have no suit than a cheap suit because those can look even worse in many cases. Hopefully nothing will come up in the next few months and once it gets cold I plan on buying a nice, plain black suit that will take me through interviews and other events. I guess it all depends on your budget appliepie but I plan on going to Richmond to Saks/Nordstrom/etc. to try and find one. I have always wanted a Theory or Nanette Lepore suit but have never had the occasion to use it.

Brooks Brothers has been having a 2 for $1500 sale on suits. I can't tell you how tempted I am.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Check that-- they have some for $500. I've never seen a BB suit for that little. Yikes... can I/should I resist?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 pm

2 for $1500? That's a sale?

I only own one suit that fits me, and it's black. I figured this was fine, since the only times I might be wearing a suit it would be nighttime, and black would be appropriate. Is that the case, Gladiator?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:2 for $1500? That's a sale?

I only own one suit that fits me, and it's black. I figured this was fine, since the only times I might be wearing a suit it would be nighttime, and black would be appropriate. Is that the case, Gladiator?

There's a contingent of law-fashionistas that claim you should wear grey suits but at OGI last year I saw plenty of black suits and plenty of black suits at the formal events so I think you're fine.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Limegreen, this may not interest you if your heart's set on having a Theory suit, but just in case you or anyone else can use this information:

I have had two job interviews in my life, one in late January, the other in early February (of different years). Both times I needed a new suit and both times Ann Taylor was having a 50% off suits sale in January, so I have two $400-$500 suits that I got for a little over $200. I can't definitively state that Ann Taylor always has this sale in January, but it seems like a pretty big coincidence, so if you need a decent suit for the spring, I'd recommend checking out Ann Taylor over winter break or at the start of second semester.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 pm

ILikeIke wrote:Limegreen, this may not interest you if your heart's set on having a Theory suit, but just in case you or anyone else can use this information:

I have had two job interviews in my life, one in late January, the other in early February (of different years). Both times I needed a new suit and both times Ann Taylor was having a 50% off suits sale in January, so I have two $400-$500 suits that I got for a little over $200. I can't definitively state that Ann Taylor always has this sale in January, but it seems like a pretty big coincidence, so if you need a decent suit for the spring, I'd recommend checking out Ann Taylor over winter break or at the start of second semester.

Thanks for the info. There is an Ann Taylor at Fashion Square Mall so that will be good if I ever need something and have no time to head to Richmond. I don't know if I'll even be able to afford a Theory suit, but I really like them so I will continue to dream.

Is the thing about gray suits for men or women? I read Corporette from time to time and it seems like the consensus is a black suit for women for interviewing as being a safe bet.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:29 pm

On a much less (or more, I suppose, depending on your priorities) important subject: Any other W&M alums unsure about what to do for the first football weekend? I'm thinking about wearing orange pants and a green shirt, standing near the 50 yard line, and cheering at the end of every play. :D

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

I plan on shopping early, because I don't want to worry about finding sales later on. I already have three suits, but I want a solid gray one for my interviews (like gladiator mentioned). Of the suits I have, two are pinstriped--one is real mobbed up, too--and the other is black. I'd rather look authoratative than flashy, if for nothing else than a confidence boost.

If you just want to blend in, go with a dark navy.

Edit: Oh, and Brooks Brothers is too expensive for me these days. Jos. A. Bank has a lot of sales, and I think there might be one at the Barracks Road Shopping Center.
Last edited by showNprove on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Is the thing about gray suits for men or women? I read Corporette from time to time and it seems like the consensus is a black suit for women for interviewing as being a safe bet.

Men.

RE: W&M....gotta swallow your undergrad pride and root for the team that has a chance to make a bowl game. Fortunately as a UVA UG alum, I've never had a rooting conflict.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 pm

gladiator wrote:RE: W&M....gotta swallow your undergrad pride and root for the team that has a chance to make a bowl game. Fortunately as a UVA UG alum, I've never had a rooting conflict.

Nah, I disagree. You gotta have more sports pride for your undergrad. Personally, my allegiance with UVA will never rival my love for UNC.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:39 pm

showNprove wrote:
gladiator wrote:RE: W&M....gotta swallow your undergrad pride and root for the team that has a chance to make a bowl game. Fortunately as a UVA UG alum, I've never had a rooting conflict.

Nah, I disagree. You gotta have more sports pride for your undergrad. Personally, my allegiance with UVA will never rival my love for UNC.

I disagree, I'm a W&M alum and I think I'll be wearing orange. W&M football is awful.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:40 pm

showNprove wrote:

UNC is a legit ACC team though. W&M not so much. Maybe I'm just being mean to W&M but I think a lot of people from non-I-A schools will root for UVA here.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:41 pm

limegreen wrote:
showNprove wrote:

I disagree, I'm a W&M alum and I think I'll be wearing orange. W&M football is awful.

Where is the pride?!

gladiator wrote:UNC is a legit ACC team though. W&M not so much. Maybe I'm just being mean to W&M but I think a lot of people from non-I-A schools will root for UVA here.

I agree that it will happen; even I'll be rooting for UVA everyday they don't play UNC. I guess after living through the 2001-02 college basketball season, poor play doesn't deter me.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 pm

showNprove wrote:
limegreen wrote:
showNprove wrote:

Where is the pride?!

Hell, we don't even have a mascot... damn NCAA.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:33 pm

lkjhg8844

Postby lkjhg8844 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:35 pm

For a woman applying for a conservative job like a law job, dark gray is probably the best color suit. I've done a lot of interviewing, and this seems to be the norm. Black is sort of harsh.

applepie

Postby applepie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Hmm cant give away my loyalty as a Florida Gator...not with the way things have been :), luckily for me I already own plenty of orange and blue so I can support UVA very easily.

So today was my last day at work, my boss told me to use my last paycheck on a "book I wouldn't read" referring to civ pro lol.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm

17 more pages until we beat last year's thread!

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I'll always have pride in my undergrad, but basketball games inside a football stadium (weird set-up) against teams like Portland State and Montana is not the same as ACC basketball.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I guess I should start following a sport so I can have a conversation starter for OCI.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 pm

In 2 1/2 football seasons at UW I've seen 2 wins and 15 losses, so if for some reason the Huskies do well this year, I don't know if I'll be happy or angry that I missed it. I expect that by the end the first season at UVA I'll have seen at least as many wins as I did in my time at UW.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:01 pm

I just found my softball glove from high school (I played 1st base but I went to private school and we won all of 4 games I think) and it is 12.5". I don't know if any girls on this thread were planning on buying a glove, but I liked this one because it didn't feel enormous but is plenty large enough to catch a softball flying at your face!

As far as suits go, I did buy a super cheap suit (I think I got the pants, jacket, and two camisoles for $75 during a 1/2 off sale) from NY & Company last December to interview at Northwestern. I definitely DON'T recommend buying a cheap suit like this for women because I've worn it 3-4 times and there are already little puckers in the material.

Kat86

Postby Kat86 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:05 pm

[quote="applepie"]Hmm cant give away my loyalty as a Florida Gator...not with the way things have been :), luckily for me I already own plenty of orange and blue so I can support UVA very easily.

+1 Go Gators

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 am

thesealocust wrote:Just looked at the class schedule... I tried to play a logic game to figure out some info but didn't get far.

Here's one tidbit - 50% of the first year students will have their 1-section only (small) class as Contracts. The other 50% will be in a 3-section (~100 person) contracts class, one of which is (I think) taught by Dean Mahoney.

Based on 30+ students per section and listed course enrollement caps, there will be no 4-section classes: only 1, 2 and 3 section classes (max ~100 students / class).

Only one section has a small torts class.

Also, course enrollment numbers are keyed in to handle 400 students per first year course, so at least the people entering that info see that as the 'maximum'.

And I think Gladiator posted this before, but we'll all have almost the exact same schedule if I'm reading it right / the info is correct:

Contracts from between 8:30 or 8:50 until 9:50, 3 or 4 days a week

Crim Law from 10:00 to 11 or 11:20, 2 or 3 days a week (this is 3 credits, the others are 4, who knows how significant that is)

(long break)

Torts from 2:10 to 3:10 or 3:30, 3 or 4 days a week

Civ Pro from 3:40 to 4:40 or 5:00, 3 or 4 days a week

Some classes are listed as meeting every day, I assume that means the actual days it meets haven't been settled yet.

LRW is 10-11 or 1-2 Monday or Wednesday with just your section.

I tried to do this as well earlier in the summer and got stonewalled. I wish we knew our sections so we could have something else to talk about.

Only 3 weeks until I move to Charlottesville! Can't wait.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”