UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
limegreen

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:09 am

What is the deal on those positions? How does the election work when there will be 380(ish?) of us and hardly anyone knows anyone else?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 am

gladiator wrote:Crim Pro or CrimLaw? They're 2 different classes and CrimLaw is the 1L class.

Crim Law. :oops: Also have Civ Pro.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:05 am

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:13 am

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:What is the deal on those positions? How does the election work when there will be 380(ish?) of us and hardly anyone knows anyone else?

We run a TLS campaign?

You know, we could form our own little political machine on TLS and probably take over a majority of the positions. :mrgreen:

Haha, but the ballot would have to have our aliases. Myname/limegreen.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:15 am

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:What is the deal on those positions? How does the election work when there will be 380(ish?) of us and hardly anyone knows anyone else?

We run a TLS campaign?

You know, we could form our own little political machine on TLS and probably take over a majority of the positions. :mrgreen:

Haha, but the ballot would have to have our aliases. Myname/limegreen.

We could do something like:
Candidate: FirstName "Limegreen" LastName.
Provided, everyone who doesn't get it is going to think we're all very weird.

(un)Luckily I don't think I would need to attach an alias to my name for some reason.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 am

a.williams wrote:(un)Luckily I don't think I would need to attach an alias to my name for some reason.

We can call you "Virginia Trumpets" so that you don't feel left out.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 am

showNprove wrote:
a.williams wrote:(un)Luckily I don't think I would need to attach an alias to my name for some reason.

We can call you "Virginia Trumpets" so that you don't feel left out.

But then I couldn't change my tar

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm

I've skipped around in Schauer's book while on vacation. I like his writing - he manages to be relatively toned down compared to similar academic writers - but I think the subject could be a lot more interesting.

Haven't touched any supplements. Reading anything substantive now will spoil my (excitement?) when the time comes to cover it in class, and I think most everyone knows it's not going to confer any kind of "advantage" per se. I think we, the UVA 2012 TLSers, are already at an advantage in that we have a jump start in thinking, planning, and socializing.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 pm

The elections are only within your section so it's a vote within your group of 30 not the entire class of 360 so it's going to be tough to run any TLS corruption. They ask for volunteers to run and there are 2 FYC reps, 2 softball captains, 1 PILA rep, and 1 treasurer. If there are more volunteers than spots, then they ask you to give a little speech and then the section votes. It's something you can put on your resume but obviously not something that's going to make or break you at OGI.

FYC reps are basically the leaders of the section. They coordinate with other sections to do section mixers and generally play a role in organizing activities. Softball captains are the leaders of your softball teams which includes getting a sponsor, getting uniforms, running the teams, and being the leaders of your Dandelion Parade* organizing. PILA reps are self-explanatory but I'm not really sure what they do. Most people who do it just do it because they like public service stuff and I think they help to organize the PILA auction**. Treasurer collects section dues (usually $50 for the year, sometimes re-upped if your section does a lot of stuff). None of these positions are particularly time intensive. I suppose softball captain takes up a decent amount of time but not much if you were planning to attend the softball games anyway.

Baseball cleats and softball cleats are the same as far as I know, could probably wear soccer cleats frankly and nobody would know. I would recommend not wearing your regular day-to-day shoes/sneakers and socks though because the dirt will get on them and stay there.

Regarding gloves, keep in mind that every section game and most other games are co-ed where you'll have 6 guys and 4 girls on the field so the odds are highly unlikely a guy will be playing 2nd base. Girls typically play 2nd base, catcher, and 2 outfield positions. Sections that are lucky enough to have a girl that's good at softball usually play her at 1st base or maybe pitcher.

*Dandelion Parade is around the beginning of September (I'm guessing Friday September 4 based on the calendar but could be the week before) to mark the softball season. Each section picks a theme based on their section letter (D=Double Dare, J=Jock Jams, etc) and has to come up with a short skit/dance/something to perform for the 2Ls and 3Ls. It's about as close as law school gets to hazing but it's really not something to worry about. If you want to be a champ for your section, start thinking of ideas once you get your section letter because you don't get much time to plan and execute it. The best section gets the prize of playing the first softball game of the year against the NGSL (North Grounds Softball League) team that night and then there's a party after where obviously people get trashed.

**PILA Auction is at the beginning of November. Students and professors donate stuff to PILA (Public Interest Law Association) and then there's a semi-formal event where you get 2 free drinks and then just when everyone gets a little tipsy or beyond they start the auction. It's for a good cause and is a good night but seriously watch yourself because people spend a lot of money they shouldn't. Last year I got my professor to donate a catered Super Bowl party and 2 sections ended up spending $3600 on it.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:I've skipped around in Schauer's book while on vacation. I like his writing - he manages to be relatively toned down compared to similar academic writers - but I think the subject could be a lot more interesting.

Haven't touched any supplements. Reading anything substantive now will spoil my (excitement?) when the time comes to cover it in class, and I think most everyone knows it's not going to confer any kind of "advantage" per se. I think we, the UVA 2012 TLSers, are already at an advantage in that we have a jump start in thinking, planning, and socializing.

Yeah, the E&E's teach you stuff that everyone will know come exam time. There's no substantive advantage, but it's nice to have something to do anyway.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:50 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:00 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I've skipped around in Schauer's book while on vacation. I like his writing - he manages to be relatively toned down compared to similar academic writers - but I think the subject could be a lot more interesting.

Yeah, the E&E's teach you stuff that everyone will know come exam time. There's no substantive advantage, but it's nice to have something to do anyway.

+1. It makes feel one notch above completely unproductive. I've been reading them while I let streaming videos load up, so clearly I'm paying a lot of attention.

What?! No one's started practice exams on Lawweb yet?

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:03 pm

iceberger wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

+1. It makes feel one notch above completely unproductive. I've been reading them while I let streaming videos load up, so clearly I'm paying a lot of attention.

What?! No one's started practice exams on Lawweb yet?

I knew I've been forgetting something!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EaglesXLIV

Postby EaglesXLIV » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:36 pm

gladiator wrote:Regarding gloves, keep in mind that every section game and most other games are co-ed where you'll have 6 guys and 4 girls on the field so the odds are highly unlikely a guy will be playing 2nd base. Girls typically play 2nd base, catcher, and 2 outfield positions. Sections that are lucky enough to have a girl that's good at softball usually play her at 1st base or maybe pitcher.

How are the softball teams chosen? Do the captains pick 8 other people and bench players and everyone else in the section acts as a cheerleader?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm

EaglesXLIV wrote:
gladiator wrote:Regarding gloves, keep in mind that every section game and most other games are co-ed where you'll have 6 guys and 4 girls on the field so the odds are highly unlikely a guy will be playing 2nd base. Girls typically play 2nd base, catcher, and 2 outfield positions. Sections that are lucky enough to have a girl that's good at softball usually play her at 1st base or maybe pitcher.

How are the softball teams chosen? Do the captains pick 8 other people and bench players and everyone else in the section acts as a cheerleader?

I just noticed that he said 6 guys and 4 girls will be on the field. Are there 4 outfielders or something?

EaglesXLIV

Postby EaglesXLIV » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:53 pm

showNprove wrote:
EaglesXLIV wrote:

I just noticed that he said 6 guys and 4 girls will be on the field. Are there 4 outfielders or something?

Actually I was thinking the 10th person was a DH at first, but I suppose they probably don't do that in softball. I guess they're the alternate.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 pm

There are 4 outfielders and everyone bats. There is a guy lineup and a girls lineup. 2 guys bat then a girl bats and it continues through each lineup separately. Captains are free to play whoever they want but generally if you show up and want to play, then you play. Typically turnout is very high at the beginning of the year and it dwindles somewhat as the year goes on.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I have an important wardrobe question for gladiator or anyone else who knows.

Do I need a suit for anything this coming fall? I am a girl, so I am talking strictly about school or employer related things, not any events that I could wear a cocktail dress or something similar while a guy is wearing a suit or sports coat.

I assume I will need one in the spring, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy one now before school starts or if I can wait until December ish.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Most likely not? The first time I can think of where you might need one would be a 1L summer interview if you can get one over winter break. Otherwise probably not until oral arguments at the end of March or a Spring OGI interview if you participate in that.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 pm

gladiator wrote:Most likely not? The first time I can think of where you might need one would be a 1L summer interview if you can get one over winter break. Otherwise probably not until oral arguments at the end of March or a Spring OGI interview if you participate in that.

Thanks, that is what i was hoping because right now is a weird time to buy classic black wool suit for a girl, I think most of the stuff I would be interested in won't be out for a few months.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm

limegreen wrote:I have an important wardrobe question for gladiator or anyone else who knows.

Do I need a suit for anything this coming fall? I am a girl, so I am talking strictly about school or employer related things, not any events that I could wear a cocktail dress or something similar while a guy is wearing a suit or sports coat.

I assume I will need one in the spring, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy one now before school starts or if I can wait until December ish.

I'd recommend at least getting a cheap suit or a businessy type of dress, so that you don't have to try and find one on short notice if something pops up. Having to find an outfit on short notice makes me pretty stressed, and it seems probable that a suit/dress could be needed at some point this year.

applepie

Postby applepie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
limegreen wrote:I have an important wardrobe question for gladiator or anyone else who knows.

I'd recommend at least getting a cheap suit or a businessy type of dress, so that you don't have to try and find one on short notice if something pops up. Having to find an outfit on short notice makes me pretty stressed, and it seems probable that a suit/dress could be needed at some point this year.

I'll be suit shopping sometime in the fall semester, probably around Thanksgiving as I don't even have a jacket. So here's to hoping that nothing pops up. When it comes time to shop, I'll need a guide to where to find suits in Virginia/what is appropriate for law school in terms of fit.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm

applepie wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:

I'll be suit shopping sometime in the fall semester, probably around Thanksgiving as I don't even have a jacket. So here's to hoping that nothing pops up. When it comes time to shop, I'll need a guide to where to find suits in Virginia/what is appropriate for law school in terms of fit.

Yea, I think for now I'd rather have no suit than a cheap suit because those can look even worse in many cases. Hopefully nothing will come up in the next few months and once it gets cold I plan on buying a nice, plain black suit that will take me through interviews and other events. I guess it all depends on your budget appliepie but I plan on going to Richmond to Saks/Nordstrom/etc. to try and find one. I have always wanted a Theory or Nanette Lepore suit but have never had the occasion to use it.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”