UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 am

..

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Where I live now all we have is a farm fresh and food lion so anything will be a step up.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 am

showNprove wrote:
I am delighted to learn that you have accepted our offer of admission to the University of Virginia School of Law. We have received your check for $500, confirming your intention to enroll in August. Your next bill will be for $59,500.

:(

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 am

Sometimes the amount of money it costs to go to UVA blows my mind.

I mean, it took me 3 years working my ass off in engineering to save 40k, and I've lived like a slob in a shitty 1 bedroom apartment.

User avatar
Waterman47
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Waterman47 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Da Stain wrote:Teeter is pretty good. Fresh sushi daily, some decent pre-made meals. The produce is also better than usual quality. You'll be fine. They also have a nice selection of cheeses, which I think is an indication of how close it is to a Wegman's from what I've heard about Wegman's.

Their store brand stuff is usually pretty good, although the store is on the expensive side overall (when compare to other large grocery stores). They usually have a nice selection of bread, too, and you get $1 or $2 off if it's close to expiration on bakery items.


Quite the understatement. If you go a couple doors over to Kroger, you'll save a considerable amount of money, to say the least. Our contracts professor last semester frequently used Harris Teeter as an example of a party charging inordinately high prices.

Price wise: Harris Teeter > Giant > Kroger > Food Lion. But Food Lion is pretty ghetto so we always go to Kroger. Harris Teeter is pimp as shit, but you def pay for it.

User avatar
Waterman47
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Waterman47 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 am

hotburrito wrote:charlottesville has no trader joe's or wegman's. does anybody else find this problematic?


Don't know what Wegman's is, but the absence of TJ was a huge disappointment. There is a Whole Foods but I've never been there because I assume the prices are crazy. All the major grocery brands have pretty decent organic sections, though.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby hotburrito » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:52 am

Waterman47 wrote:
hotburrito wrote:charlottesville has no trader joe's or wegman's. does anybody else find this problematic?


Don't know what Wegman's is, but the absence of TJ was a huge disappointment. There is a Whole Foods but I've never been there because I assume the prices are crazy. All the major grocery brands have pretty decent organic sections, though.


i'm really going to miss my triple berry o's (twice as many freeze dried fruit as very berry cheerios), candy cane joe o's, $2 bottles of wine, potstickers, etc. etc.

Flowah
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Flowah » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:29 am

I called UVA's Admissions office today to ask if they had sent out notices for merit scholarships yet or not, seeing as how I've heard from most other schools I've been accepted by already. They said they don't start until March. Has anyone received any figures yet from UVA?

User avatar
EaglesXLIV
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EaglesXLIV » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:47 am

Waterman47 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Da Stain wrote:Teeter is pretty good. Fresh sushi daily, some decent pre-made meals. The produce is also better than usual quality. You'll be fine. They also have a nice selection of cheeses, which I think is an indication of how close it is to a Wegman's from what I've heard about Wegman's.

Their store brand stuff is usually pretty good, although the store is on the expensive side overall (when compare to other large grocery stores). They usually have a nice selection of bread, too, and you get $1 or $2 off if it's close to expiration on bakery items.


Quite the understatement. If you go a couple doors over to Kroger, you'll save a considerable amount of money, to say the least. Our contracts professor last semester frequently used Harris Teeter as an example of a party charging inordinately high prices.

Price wise: Harris Teeter > Giant > Kroger > Food Lion. But Food Lion is pretty ghetto so we always go to Kroger. Harris Teeter is pimp as shit, but you def pay for it.

Yeah, this is definitely the case. Both Teeter and Kroger are in Barracks Shopping Center, so if you don't feel like paying extra money at Teeter then you can just take a 20 second drive over to Kroger on the other end. To be honest, I don't think the quality of Kroger's products is as good, but considering it's cheaper it works if you don't want to spend as much money as you would at Teeter.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby misbuble » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:24 am

I just remembered I didn't fill out my financial aid stuff yet, is there anything other than that I'm supposed to be filling out right now?
Last edited by misbuble on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franfair
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby franfair » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 am

.
Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Anyone looking into the townhouses on Arlington for next year? They seem (operative word here) nicer based on what I've found online but who knows what they are like in reality. I plan on going up to Cville Thursday and scoping out Ivy Gardens, The Jeffersonian, Arlington, and some further away places, so I'll try to write down some thoughts and snap photos if I can get any and post back with a report later this week.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Da Stain » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Everything on Arlington is serviceable. I posted earlier about it, but I'll rehash the basics on my place (Arlington Townhomes). It's pretty much true for all of these places here, minus the bathroom stuff.

- Decent Space, although not much more compared to Ivy 2Br. (This matters only because I think Ivy is cheaper and has 9 month leases, whereas here we have a year lease, which is basically 1,000$ gone over the summer unless you're a research assistant.)
- Appliances are decent, but far from new. They work. I don't have a dishwasher which is annoying as hell. Counter space is somewhat limited for you regular cookers/bakers.
- Walls aren't thin, but I frequently can hear the baby next door crying. Not a problem though.
- 1 bathroom is kind of annoying (considering Ivy 2Br has two).

Basically, I think these places are perfect for a couple, but not necessarily roommates.

On an entirely unrelated note, is that a Boston, Franfair?

My Boston:
Image

rodrigst
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rodrigst » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 am

Random question: I was just on the website procrastinating, clicked on the link about automobiles, and read all about some registration policy in the state of Virginia for cars. You have to pay property taxes for your fricken car?? Anyone know anything about this? I'm from Florida and I had no idea something like this even existed...

User avatar
Rainmaker11
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Rainmaker11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:35 am

Yes, we have a car tax. When Jim Gilmore was Governor he suspended the car tax and it resulted in a massive budget shortfall. His successor halted any further car tax reductions and saved the state from fiscal insolvency.

rodrigst
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rodrigst » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:10 am

Rainmaker11 wrote:Yes, we have a car tax. When Jim Gilmore was Governor he suspended the car tax and it resulted in a massive budget shortfall. His successor halted any further car tax reductions and saved the state from fiscal insolvency.


I guess I should rephrase my question. How does this whole process work and does everyone have to do it?

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Da Stain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:28 am

1. This only applies if you are a VA resident and register your car in Virginia. (Basically, if you're not already a resident, you have no reason to do this. The school is pretty clear that you WILL NOT get VA residency, and the resulting tuition break, by becoming a resident during 1L unless you are married. The website has more info about this, but basically, it ain't happening.)

2. This mostly depends on county. For instance, I'm a resident of Arlington County, which is NoVa by DC. The tax was a personal property tax assessed against my car. Tax is based on blue-book value with a certain amount allowed ($10k maybe) and everything after that taxed at $10 per $100. My 2006 Acura ran me about $600 for the year when I got it, and this year it was about $480 (which I ended up getting cut in half to 240 when I left the county to go to school. I was able to do this as a resident since I actually moved counties.)

3. I have heard that Albermarle County has some tax only if you are from another part of the state, i.e. you can't avoid your tax liability from Arlington simply because you re-register down here. I have had no problems with this, and after looking into it, I don't expect to.

Basically, I don't think you have a problem here in Albermarle, but unless there's a good reason to, I can't see why you;d register here anyway except for purposes of getting a parking permit depending on where you live (some places have permit parking only, which you likely won't encounter where you're living as a 1L.)

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 am

rodrigst wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:Yes, we have a car tax. When Jim Gilmore was Governor he suspended the car tax and it resulted in a massive budget shortfall. His successor halted any further car tax reductions and saved the state from fiscal insolvency.


I guess I should rephrase my question. How does this whole process work and does everyone have to do it?


Anyone know how this works if your car is in your Mom's name? My Mom has offered repeatedly to switch the title over to my name but I have a very special license plate I don't want to lose. It's really complicated but it's my understanding I would if I switched the ownership of the car. I just left it in her name because I don't plan on selling it until after law school anyway and I want to keep this plate.

Does this mean I don't have to worry about Albemarle taxes? Can I just keep my car registered and pay taxes in the county where my Mom (the owner of the vehicle) lives?

franfair
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby franfair » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:02 pm

.
Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:51 pm

I was just reading through some of the old Class of 2011 thread for housing information... and we really need to step it up. They have 200+ pages!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:00 pm

limegreen wrote:I was just reading through some of the old Class of 2011 thread for housing information... and we really need to step it up. They have 200+ pages!


+1

Word to everyone: if you have any random thoughts, seriously - anything - post it here. Let's at least beat all the other class of 2012 threads.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests