UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
applepie
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby applepie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:11 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
applepie wrote:So heads up to anyone flying into Richmond (i have to for the bunny), enterprise now charges about 167$ for a one-way rental car and the other companies are just as bad from the pricing I've done. I had price-quoted earlier in the summer and the quote was $60-something. That is a huge difference! I called and they pretty much laughed at my earlier rate. I'm going to price some limo options, but may be offering money to anyone willing to pick us (bunny and me) up come August. Had I known that the rental would become such an issue, I would have flown into Dulles.

Sorry for the rant....all this impending moving planning is starting to pick at my nerves. Penske tried to lose my reservation for a nerve-racking 5 minutes when I called to confirm earlier today too!

So where are the cheap places in Cville to find furniture?

I should be able to pick you (and the bunny) up from Richmond anytime during the day with a little advance notice.


Awesome to know I have options! I'll keep you posted and check your pm (which I'm going to go write now)

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:24 pm

applepie wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
applepie wrote:So heads up to anyone flying into Richmond (i have to for the bunny), enterprise now charges about 167$ for a one-way rental car and the other companies are just as bad from the pricing I've done. I had price-quoted earlier in the summer and the quote was $60-something. That is a huge difference! I called and they pretty much laughed at my earlier rate. I'm going to price some limo options, but may be offering money to anyone willing to pick us (bunny and me) up come August. Had I known that the rental would become such an issue, I would have flown into Dulles.

Sorry for the rant....all this impending moving planning is starting to pick at my nerves. Penske tried to lose my reservation for a nerve-racking 5 minutes when I called to confirm earlier today too!

So where are the cheap places in Cville to find furniture?

I should be able to pick you (and the bunny) up from Richmond anytime during the day with a little advance notice.


Awesome to know I have options! I'll keep you posted and check your pm (which I'm going to go write now)

If YC can't do it, let me know. I'm moving in August 1, so other than the first couple days, I don't have any definitive plans as of yet. I'm not sure if I can help ya out, but if I'm available when YC is not, I sure will.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Cavalier wrote:This is odd news. I really hope it turns out to be some sort of mistake:

--LinkRemoved--


Nope, it's accurate, they're not coming. I don't think they were ever listed as coming though so this isn't really a new story.


So, if you're interested in Hunton, do you just get an automatic callback interview?


I haven't heard any definitive answer but either if they like you based on your cover letter/resume/transcript then you just get a callback or it could be that if they like you then you get a phone interview first or something. I haven't had any experience with getting a non-OGI interview so I'm not sure.

As ATL pointed out, it's possible they're not coming because they know UVA is so tied to them that they can probably skip the waste of time of doing OGI knowing that they'll still get plenty of cold mailings from interested UVA students.

Bids for OGI are due tomorrow so that begins the 3 week process of pre-screening and lottery. Also, people who graded or wrote on to Law Review were notified today.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 pm

applepie wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
applepie wrote:So heads up to anyone flying into Richmond (i have to for the bunny), enterprise now charges about 167$ for a one-way rental car and the other companies are just as bad from the pricing I've done. I had price-quoted earlier in the summer and the quote was $60-something. That is a huge difference! I called and they pretty much laughed at my earlier rate. I'm going to price some limo options, but may be offering money to anyone willing to pick us (bunny and me) up come August. Had I known that the rental would become such an issue, I would have flown into Dulles.

Sorry for the rant....all this impending moving planning is starting to pick at my nerves. Penske tried to lose my reservation for a nerve-racking 5 minutes when I called to confirm earlier today too!

So where are the cheap places in Cville to find furniture?

I should be able to pick you (and the bunny) up from Richmond anytime during the day with a little advance notice.


Awesome to know I have options! I'll keep you posted and check your pm (which I'm going to go write now)


I'm moving to C'ville on friday (currently living in Richmond), but I'll be commuting to Richmond for the next few weeks for work, so if you need a ride (esp if the flight comes in during the daytime - I work nights) I could probably help out.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 am

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:*thunderbolts*

*lightning*


This made me miss Virginia's thunderstorms. :(

I can't wait to move back to VA in 3 weeks. :D


Glad you're still alive after last night! How are your jammsies? :P


:roll: <---- at myself

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby omg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 am

iceberger wrote:
omg wrote:
dinkyjeans wrote:my fiance and I are getting married in January, 2011 (between semesters of 2L). He'll be with me in Cville but we've deputized our families to finish up what we don't get done in the next few weeks. January = time for a honeymoon + off-season discounts.


I'm getting married late June 2010. We've been engaged since September '09, so I've already had time to get a lot of the big decisions out of the way - dresses, church, reception site, photographers, invitations... I'm trying to cram a lot more planning into the next few weeks and during Christmas break, plus delegating. Fingers crossed that this won't get toooo stressful!

On another note... I know we've already gone over this a million times, haha, but I can't find it. Is it possible for me to get my UVA email forwarded to my regular gmail account? I just tried from my gmail address, but it said that POP3 wouldn't give me access or something. Thanks!!



(1) Log into your UVA GMail Account (from SIS or wherever). (2) Go to Settings >> Forwarding (3) Type in your main GMail Account and then save.

Additionally...

In your main gmail account you can set it up to where you can send mail from your UVA Address.

(1) In your main Gmail Account go to settings (2) Go to Accounts (3) Add Account (4) Type in your UVA Email/s (5) Then they send kind of confirmation email, but after you click through that you should be set.


Exactly two days ago I left my job where I write technical manuals for a software company, I couldn't resist creating some more lists of instructions....haha.


Beeeeautiful...thank you!!

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby omg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:52 am

showNprove wrote:
omg wrote:
dinkyjeans wrote:my fiance and I are getting married in January, 2011 (between semesters of 2L). He'll be with me in Cville but we've deputized our families to finish up what we don't get done in the next few weeks. January = time for a honeymoon + off-season discounts.


I'm getting married late June 2010. We've been engaged since September '09, so I've already had time to get a lot of the big decisions out of the way - dresses, church, reception site, photographers, invitations... I'm trying to cram a lot more planning into the next few weeks and during Christmas break, plus delegating. Fingers crossed that this won't get toooo stressful!

On another note... I know we've already gone over this a million times, haha, but I can't find it. Is it possible for me to get my UVA email forwarded to my regular gmail account? I just tried from my gmail address, but it said that POP3 wouldn't give me access or something. Thanks!!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one getting married before 2L is over.

Will you be structuring your 1L summer job search around your wedding locale?


Mmmm I guess so! My wedding locale is Richmond, and I pretty much know that I need to work in or near Richmond immediately after law school too, since my fiance will still be in school for between 1 and 4 years (in Richmond) at that point, so I'll definitely look for stuff in the Richmond area for 1L summer. I also figure that if the wedding + honeymoon is going to screw up one summer's worth of an internship, 1L summer is way better than 2L summer... so if next summer doesn't work out well, internship-wise, cuz of the wedding, it won't be the end of the world :)

What are your wedding plans, showNprove?

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby omg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 am

vamedic03 wrote:
applepie wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
applepie wrote:So heads up to anyone flying into Richmond (i have to for the bunny), enterprise now charges about 167$ for a one-way rental car and the other companies are just as bad from the pricing I've done. I had price-quoted earlier in the summer and the quote was $60-something. That is a huge difference! I called and they pretty much laughed at my earlier rate. I'm going to price some limo options, but may be offering money to anyone willing to pick us (bunny and me) up come August. Had I known that the rental would become such an issue, I would have flown into Dulles.

Sorry for the rant....all this impending moving planning is starting to pick at my nerves. Penske tried to lose my reservation for a nerve-racking 5 minutes when I called to confirm earlier today too!

So where are the cheap places in Cville to find furniture?

I should be able to pick you (and the bunny) up from Richmond anytime during the day with a little advance notice.


Awesome to know I have options! I'll keep you posted and check your pm (which I'm going to go write now)


I'm moving to C'ville on friday (currently living in Richmond), but I'll be commuting to Richmond for the next few weeks for work, so if you need a ride (esp if the flight comes in during the daytime - I work nights) I could probably help out.


Haha, to make this a triple post from me...

I'm also living in Richmond right now and not doing much, so if people need rides to Charlottesville from the Richmond airport, I'm also glad to help out, since I'd love to get to CVille whenever to visit friends who are there :D

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 am

omg wrote:Mmmm I guess so! My wedding locale is Richmond, and I pretty much know that I need to work in or near Richmond immediately after law school too, since my fiance will still be in school for between 1 and 4 years (in Richmond) at that point, so I'll definitely look for stuff in the Richmond area for 1L summer. I also figure that if the wedding + honeymoon is going to screw up one summer's worth of an internship, 1L summer is way better than 2L summer... so if next summer doesn't work out well, internship-wise, cuz of the wedding, it won't be the end of the world :)

What are your wedding plans, showNprove?

I think I'll be shooting for Richmond 1L as well. I want to work there or in DC after school, so I'm trying to get my foot in the door.

I didn't want to mess with finals, summer jobs, or OGI, and my fiancée didn't want to have the wedding during the winter, so we're going to do it in October of 2L, on the Saturday before Fall Break. We'll probably go somewhere for a few days but do a real honeymoon in December. October is far enough away from OGI and far enough before finals to work, or so it seems.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:27 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I did my connection/setup online so maybe that's how I got away with not paying a deposit. I've never lived in VA before or had service with Dominion.

Just an FYI, I just set up my account online, and I still have to pay a $108 deposit, even with good to excellent credit.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm

..

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I did my connection/setup online so maybe that's how I got away with not paying a deposit. I've never lived in VA before or had service with Dominion.

Just an FYI, I just set up my account online, and I still have to pay a $108 deposit, even with good to excellent credit.

That's weird; I really can't think of anything I've done that would make me more/less risky than anybody else who has been paying utility bills (to other companies) over the past year and who has good, but not brilliant, credit.* Maybe, I'm just special. :mrgreen: If Dominion takes letters of credit/good standing from your previous utility in lieu of a deposit, that might be something to look into.

*Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it has something to do with credit utilization (how much of your credit you're using), but that can be for a PM or in-person conversation.

Unrelated thoughts:
PBS has finally put Masterpiece Mystery! online, and they've got the most recent show up. Yes!

I haven't really gotten out much in Charlottesville, but at least in Barracks/Arlington/law school area, I'd say it's pretty safe. There's constant police patrols, and I've never felt the least bit uncomfortable walking around at night.

Unrelated questions:
Has anybody's financial aid completely cleared yet? Also, for those of you who did the online loan counseling, is it reflected on the UVA website or do you still have an "incomplete" listed at the status? I did mine back in May, but it's showing an "incomplete."



My loans haven't processed yet either. Also, it still says "incomplete" by the counseling thing for me too. I swear I did both of those correctly.

User avatar
applepie
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby applepie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies re giving me a ride. I feel safe not booking a rental car at the moment. I'll be in touch about this while I'm in town July 18-22ish.

I want to have a TLS meet-up during that time, so check the super secret FB (writing something now).

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 pm

applepie wrote:Thanks for all the replies re giving me a ride. I feel safe not booking a rental car at the moment. I'll be in touch about this while I'm in town July 18-22ish.

I want to have a TLS meet-up during that time, so check the super secret FB (writing something now).



Super secret facebook group? Wha?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 pm

iceberger wrote:
applepie wrote:Thanks for all the replies re giving me a ride. I feel safe not booking a rental car at the moment. I'll be in touch about this while I'm in town July 18-22ish.

I want to have a TLS meet-up during that time, so check the super secret FB (writing something now).



Super secret facebook group? Wha?

Would you like to join our wolf pack?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 pm

iceberger wrote:
applepie wrote:Thanks for all the replies re giving me a ride. I feel safe not booking a rental car at the moment. I'll be in touch about this while I'm in town July 18-22ish.

I want to have a TLS meet-up during that time, so check the super secret FB (writing something now).



Super secret facebook group? Wha?

PM thesealocust for an invite.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 pm

showNprove wrote:
iceberger wrote:
applepie wrote:Thanks for all the replies re giving me a ride. I feel safe not booking a rental car at the moment. I'll be in touch about this while I'm in town July 18-22ish.

I want to have a TLS meet-up during that time, so check the super secret FB (writing something now).



Super secret facebook group? Wha?

Would you like to join our wolf pack?



haha, i need to drop this avatar.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:58 pm

No you don't, it's awesome.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Doom-n-gloom message of the day: Cravath pulled out of UVA OGI.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:11 pm

gladiator wrote:Doom-n-gloom message of the day: Cravath pulled out of UVA OGI.


I'll cry some crocodile tears for all those top 5% folks who had legit shots at callbacks.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
gladiator wrote:Doom-n-gloom message of the day: Cravath pulled out of UVA OGI.


I'll cry some crocodile tears for all those top 5% folks who had legit shots at callbacks.


See, that was my first reaction too "Well, what's one super prestigious firm?". But it just strikes me as ominous tidings for the rest of the firms that might not make good soundbites the way Cravath and Hunton Williams have.

OK, zen tip of the day (from myself, to myself): Ignore everything about this year's OGI - it will be different next year, and you won't have to deal with it until then anyhow.


It was known that Cravath is/was in pretty crap shape before finding out they're not coming to UVA OGI. And you have to remember they may still hire a proportional number of UVA 2011s but are simply cutting the expense of traveling to OGI.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Thankfully I haven't lost any firms in the top 25 on my bid list so the dam is bending but not breaking just yet. There's really nothing left to do but remain optimistic but realistic and work hard.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest