UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jasofbase2001
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm

rdt854 wrote:
Kat86 wrote:Hey has anyone applied w/ Wachovia for their loans? Also, when exactly do you accept your loans on SIS, after your appproved for the loan or just once you have applied? Eeek I can't believe how soon law school starts!


I accepted them on SIS, filled out the lender promissory note, sent that in, and just got a response saying they received it. I think i chose PNC bank, but the consensus so far has been discover? I don't know... the whole process seems hashed together pretty half assed... I ended up calling the financial aid office and making them walk me through it like a 5 year old. good luck!


It's the most idiotic process I've ever taken part in. I did the same thing... except I made the bank and UVA walk me through it. I still feel like I'm missing something.

To answer the first post... I used Wells Fargo, which now owns Wachovia. They actually did walk me through it really well.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 pm

i'm having SIS problems as well. i've gone through all the loan counseling but for the life of me can't get it still says "incomplete" in SIS. I think i'm giving up on it.

jasofbase2001
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:39 am

Regarding the direct deposit, am I to understand you have to fill out the hard copy and send it in? I'm a bit surprised you can't do it online, but whatever.

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:48 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:Regarding the direct deposit, am I to understand you have to fill out the hard copy and send it in? I'm a bit surprised you can't do it online, but whatever.


I was directed to the hard copy. I'm planning on calling the Human Resources office and finding out if I can fax the form and a voided check to them. I don't think you can do it online because you need the check.

jasofbase2001
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:14 am

Ok great!!! Thanks a lot. I just filled everything out, it's in the envelope and going in the mail tomorrow.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 am

a.williams wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Regarding the direct deposit, am I to understand you have to fill out the hard copy and send it in? I'm a bit surprised you can't do it online, but whatever.


I was directed to the hard copy. I'm planning on calling the Human Resources office and finding out if I can fax the form and a voided check to them. I don't think you can do it online because you need the check.


Hmmm, I haven't been notified about setting up direct deposit or anything yet. Has anyone else applied for their loans through Discover and NOT had them call you? Everyone else was hounded by them it seems and I've heard nothing...part of me wishes they would harass me so I could make sure I'm getting loans!

Edit: When I log in to check my status, it says everything is done but doesn't shown a loan amount. Does that just mean they haven't contacted UVA yet?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:20 am

..

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 am

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
a.williams wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Regarding the direct deposit, am I to understand you have to fill out the hard copy and send it in? I'm a bit surprised you can't do it online, but whatever.


I was directed to the hard copy. I'm planning on calling the Human Resources office and finding out if I can fax the form and a voided check to them. I don't think you can do it online because you need the check.


Hmmm, I haven't been notified about setting up direct deposit or anything yet. Has anyone else applied for their loans through Discover and NOT had them call you? Everyone else was hounded by them it seems and I've heard nothing...part of me wishes they would harass me so I could make sure I'm getting loans!

Edit: When I log in to check my status, it says everything is done but doesn't shown a loan amount. Does that just mean they haven't contacted UVA yet?

I believe so, my status has said the same thing for a long time.



UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 am

iceberger wrote:UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.


Hopefully so. Has anyone using discover been prompted for this direct deposit form yet referenced farther up on this page? I would assume we won't need that until they actually process our loan amounts anyways. After poking around on the website, I don't see it anywhere.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:40 am

crazyinalabama wrote:
iceberger wrote:UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.


Hopefully so. Has anyone using discover been prompted for this direct deposit form yet referenced farther up on this page? I would assume we won't need that until they actually process our loan amounts anyways. After poking around on the website, I don't see it anywhere.


The direct deposit form everyone is referencing here is from UVA, not Discover. My question is how did someone find out about it because it is on the HR page? Are we sure this works? Who do we send it to?

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 am

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
iceberger wrote:UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.


Hopefully so. Has anyone using discover been prompted for this direct deposit form yet referenced farther up on this page? I would assume we won't need that until they actually process our loan amounts anyways. After poking around on the website, I don't see it anywhere.


The direct deposit form everyone is referencing here is from UVA, not Discover. My question is how did someone find out about it because it is on the HR page? Are we sure this works? Who do we send it to?


Thanks limegreen! I overlooked that post by awilliams. That makes a lot more sense. I think the financial aid office directed someone there. However, I also have a feeling they will probably contact us some time in July and let us know. Earlier this summer the financial aid woman told me we wouldn't get our excess funds until early September. I'm sure there's no rush.

Edit: That link does take you to a form that says "Payroll ONLY"...seems suspect

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
iceberger wrote:UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.


Hopefully so. Has anyone using discover been prompted for this direct deposit form yet referenced farther up on this page? I would assume we won't need that until they actually process our loan amounts anyways. After poking around on the website, I don't see it anywhere.


The direct deposit form everyone is referencing here is from UVA, not Discover. My question is how did someone find out about it because it is on the HR page? Are we sure this works? Who do we send it to?


Thanks limegreen! I overlooked that post by awilliams. That makes a lot more sense. I think the financial aid office directed someone there. However, I also have a feeling they will probably contact us some time in July and let us know. Earlier this summer the financial aid woman told me we wouldn't get our excess funds until early September. I'm sure there's no rush.

Edit: That link does take you to a form that says "Payroll ONLY"...seems suspect


Wow early September? That is kind of late. I was hoping to have the money to be able to pay rent and everything for September.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:09 am

"Because aid money is not disbursed until the beginning of the semester, your banking information is not needed for loan purposes at this time. Your banking information is needed, however, to establish direct deposit for your excess financial aid. I would encourage you to provide the information on the appropriate forms as soon as you can to expedite the financial aid refund process in the fall."

I just found this from an old email with the Financial Aid Office. I was wrong - beginning of the semester. And now I just found where she told me we need this direct deposit form....

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 am

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
iceberger wrote:UVA has said they'll start processing loans in early July right? So in theory we could be seeing something change on the discover site soon.


Hopefully so. Has anyone using discover been prompted for this direct deposit form yet referenced farther up on this page? I would assume we won't need that until they actually process our loan amounts anyways. After poking around on the website, I don't see it anywhere.


The direct deposit form everyone is referencing here is from UVA, not Discover. My question is how did someone find out about it because it is on the HR page? Are we sure this works? Who do we send it to?


Since I'm the one that first posted about the direct deposit option, I guess I should clear it up. I thought I remembered seeing something about a direct deposit option, so I e-mailed financial aid about it and this is what Sandy told me:

With regard to the direct deposit of excess financial aid resources, you will need to complete the direct deposit form required through the University Payroll Dept. This form may be found at http://www.hrs.virginia.edu. If you have any questions regarding their procedure and applicable deadlines to insure that your fall refund is handled in this manner, please contact them at 434-924-4350. UVA encourages students to utilize the direct deposit option, as it will expedite your receipt of any refund you are entitled to receive. I trust this information is helpful.


I left a message with HR just a min ago to check and make sure that it is the right form and to see where we need to send it, etc. so I'll let you know when I hear back.

crazyinalabama wrote:Edit: That link does take you to a form that says "Payroll ONLY"...seems suspect


It's not that suspect because all direct deposit forms typically go through HR and then the accounts office at the school. I had direct deposit at my undergrad and it was set up through HR, not financial aid

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks a.williams! That makes sense and I certainly want my money via the fastest possible route!

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:40 am

For anyone who might care, word on the street is that AT&T 3G will be in Charlottesville around August! I found this on some random web page but hopefully it is true. I even had 3G back home in my really small rural town, it is weird they don't have it here.
Last edited by limegreen on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 am

crazyinalabama wrote:Thanks a.williams! That makes sense and I certainly want my money via the fastest possible route!


no problem, me too!

skyisthelimit
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby skyisthelimit » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 am

discover has not called and asked me for anything either, but i just applied on monday.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 pm

skyisthelimit wrote:discover has not called and asked me for anything either, but i just applied on monday.


I applied a little over a month ago and never heard anything. Maybe they just got the picture that UVA wasn't going to process anything until July so they could stop calling and annoying people.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Any computer experts here? I just bought a laptop that comes with Vista, but I'll be getting the free Windows 7 upgrade in October. Only problem is, I've never installed an operating system before. I may need some help in October if its not a fairly simple process.

lsatbobby
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby lsatbobby » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Dell bundles have come down in cost, and they're refunding people for the difference in price. If they haven't contacted you about this, you might want to call their office.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:55 pm

showNprove wrote:Happy birthday to gladiator, our resident rising 2L!


Thanks! Happy Birthday to rdt too.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:05 pm

gladiator wrote:
showNprove wrote:Happy birthday to gladiator, our resident rising 2L!


Thanks! Happy Birthday to rdt too.


Happy birthday to both of yall!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm

..




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest