UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 pm

They're pretty similar. The Corner at UVa is basically Franklin Street at UNC (minus the bonfires). They both have big intramural and varsity sports programs. UVa is a little nicer that it's VA-centric but not as much as UNC where 4 out of 5 are NC residents. Charlottesville is a little safer than the Chapel Hill area especially if you stay out of the bad areas. I remember there would be pretty much daily crime reports in the Daily Tarheel and at UVa it's a shock when something bad happens to the extent that they send out special emails to remind students to be alert. The atmosphere is pretty much the same where you have the work hard, play hard philosophy in full effect.

Ellners87
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Ellners87 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Spring of my sophomore year of college (after Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa), we had 92,000+ come to our A-Day Game, which is our spring scrimmage game, so ACC football is pretty much a let down after 4 years of watching Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia play. I'm just grateful I got to be there to shut out Auburn this year.

However, I love football and I'm sure I'll still definitely go to the games. I'm going to try and get into basketball, but I'll probably need some guidance since I'm not used to it being a big deal.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:04 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:05 pm

..

User avatar
Rainmaker11
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Rainmaker11 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Speaking of Bball, is UVA going to be any good down the road? I always enjoy football games, but basketball has always been my favorite.

Ellners87 wrote:Spring of my sophomore year of college (after Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa), we had 92,000+ come to our A-Day Game, which is our spring scrimmage game, so ACC football is pretty much a let down after 4 years of watching Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia play. I'm just grateful I got to be there to shut out Auburn this year.

However, I love football and I'm sure I'll still definitely go to the games. I'm going to try and get into basketball, but I'll probably need some guidance since I'm not used to it being a big deal.


That is insane. So many people just to see a scrimmage?

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Rainmaker11 wrote:Speaking of Bball, is UVA going to be any good down the road? I always enjoy football games, but basketball has always been my favorite.


I'm just looking forward to seeing ACC teams play UVA. It's always cool to see future NBA stars play for free during their college years.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:30 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Ellners87 wrote:Spring of my sophomore year of college (after Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa), we had 92,000+ come to our A-Day Game, which is our spring scrimmage game, so ACC football is pretty much a let down after 4 years of watching Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia play. I'm just grateful I got to be there to shut out Auburn this year.

However, I love football and I'm sure I'll still definitely go to the games. I'm going to try and get into basketball, but I'll probably need some guidance since I'm not used to it being a big deal.

Almost all SEC schools are good for football, except...
My SEC school won their first bowl game in 53 years to the day in December. It was also their first winning season since 1982. It was a pretty big deal.


Still called the "Commodores", though. :wink:

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

..

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Elms » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:25 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
WIdan wrote:For those that have filled out the UFAA, am I correct that they want financial information for all students, regardless of your age? And the only way to fill out my parents' info is to have them fill out the worksheet and then I enter it in the electronic application? Am I the only one who thinks it's none of my business to know all the details of my parents' current financial situation?

Edit: Ok I see now that it's students 28 and under that are required to enter parent info. My other question still stands, although I think I know the answer. There really isn't any way for my parents to enter their own info?


You'll have to enter your parents information for them. I called up my parents and we went through all the info over the phone. I agree that its a pain in the butt - I'm 28, married, and have been financially independent of my parents since I was 22.


I'm 24, married since I was 18 and financially independent since then. I emailed the UVA finaid office and they gave me a waiver so I don't have to enter parental info.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm

..

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Elms » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Elms wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
WIdan wrote:For those that have filled out the UFAA, am I correct that they want financial information for all students, regardless of your age? And the only way to fill out my parents' info is to have them fill out the worksheet and then I enter it in the electronic application? Am I the only one who thinks it's none of my business to know all the details of my parents' current financial situation?

Edit: Ok I see now that it's students 28 and under that are required to enter parent info. My other question still stands, although I think I know the answer. There really isn't any way for my parents to enter their own info?


You'll have to enter your parents information for them. I called up my parents and we went through all the info over the phone. I agree that its a pain in the butt - I'm 28, married, and have been financially independent of my parents since I was 22.


I'm 24, married since I was 18 and financially independent since then. I emailed the UVA finaid office and they gave me a waiver so I don't have to enter parental info.

When did you email them? Only because they haven't responded to my email.


I emailed them on the 10th, very early in the day.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 am

..

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:03 am

So is it going to be bad if I wait until late this month to file my FAFSA? I've already sent in my taxes and I just want to wait until I get my tax return to fill out FAFSA.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 am

..
Last edited by YCrevolution on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:24 am

YCrevolution wrote:
CE2JD wrote:So is it going to be bad if I wait until late this month to file my FAFSA? I've already sent in my taxes and I just want to wait until I get my tax return to fill out FAFSA.

Apparently, the finaid doesn't want to talk to me. :( I'll just I'll need to nicely bug them again this upcoming week.

If you've already sent in your taxes, haven't you already sent in your tax returns, too? Or is this about refunds?

If you're not expecting institutional aid, I don't think it should make much of difference, but that's just my initial thought.


:oops: I thought tax return = tax refund.

Shows you how much I know about taxes!

EH HEM... so I hear UVA has a good tax law program?? :wink:

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 am

..

User avatar
EaglesXLIV
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EaglesXLIV » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Yay for our basketball team not sucking for the first time in awhile.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm

EaglesXLIV wrote:Yay for our basketball team not sucking for the first time in awhile.


There is talent present, just an extreme lack of execution.

User avatar
EaglesXLIV
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EaglesXLIV » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 pm

We're really going to need Landesberg to stay 4 years.. hopefully that will happen.

Edit: lol @ d00k

rodrigst
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rodrigst » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 pm

My school has officially beat both Duke and UNC this season. Interesting considering this is the worst basketball season since I've been at Boston College, but at least I have some temporary bragging rights on this board. :D

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby hotburrito » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:45 pm

charlottesville has no trader joe's or wegman's. does anybody else find this problematic?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby doyleoil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:23 pm

showNprove wrote:I submitted my Institutional Application for Financial Aid online tonight. Did anybody receive any sort of confirmation that it was submitted successfully? Or is this a blind faith kind of thing?


i'm still going on faith - considering putting in a call to appease my ocd side - but for now i'm good

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31 am

hotburrito wrote:charlottesville has no trader joe's or wegman's. does anybody else find this problematic?


Well, there is a trader joe's 60 minutes away in far west end Richmond and I heard rumors that they might build a TJ's in cville in the next few years. I understand that wegman's has stayed away from central virginia due to Ukrops (a family owned grocery store chain that's based in Richmond and has stores in richmond, fredericksburg, and roanoke)

But, there is a whole foods and the Harris Teeter is semi-upscale...

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Da Stain » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:15 am

Teeter is pretty good. Fresh sushi daily, some decent pre-made meals. The produce is also better than usual quality. You'll be fine. They also have a nice selection of cheeses, which I think is an indication of how close it is to a Wegman's from what I've heard about Wegman's.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest