UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 pm

gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.


Mine seems to work now, I thought we could make our alias whatever we wanted at email.virginia.edu ?

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:04 pm

napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.

mine's set up firstname.lastname@email.virginia.edu and it works fine. Btw, I also have both accounts forwarded to my main (non-UVA) email account.


What is the benefit of forwarding them all to your main email account AND how do you do this? Do you do it in the UVA email management thing or do you just do it in the UVA gmail? What email address shows up in your outgoing mail and your reply to when you do this? Please help me, I feel like an idiot.

The computing system at my undergrad was soooo much better than this. We had one login to anything related to technology and it was all intertwined. This all seems way overly complicated.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm

limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.

mine's set up firstname.lastname@email.virginia.edu and it works fine. Btw, I also have both accounts forwarded to my main (non-UVA) email account.


What is the benefit of forwarding them all to your main email account AND how do you do this? Do you do it in the UVA email management thing or do you just do it in the UVA gmail? What email address shows up in your outgoing mail and your reply to when you do this? Please help me, I feel like an idiot.

The computing system at my undergrad was soooo much better than this. We had one login to anything related to technology and it was all intertwined. This all seems way overly complicated.


+1. When I tried forwarding my UVA Gmail account to my normal Gmail account it said I couldn't. I can't remember the message it gave me because it was over a month ago but I would love to have it forwarded to my normal gmail acct.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm

"Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password."

This is what it says when I try to set up the forwarding to my main gmail account. There are also three different POP Server options...any clue as to which one I should choose? It fails for all three...

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:17 pm

limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.

mine's set up firstname.lastname@email.virginia.edu and it works fine. Btw, I also have both accounts forwarded to my main (non-UVA) email account.


What is the benefit of forwarding them all to your main email account AND how do you do this? Do you do it in the UVA email management thing or do you just do it in the UVA gmail? What email address shows up in your outgoing mail and your reply to when you do this? Please help me, I feel like an idiot.

The computing system at my undergrad was soooo much better than this. We had one login to anything related to technology and it was all intertwined. This all seems way overly complicated.

I forward them because I have another gmail account that gets my other multiple emails (ISP, UG, etc) sent to it.

To forward, go to "Settings" in the UVA gmail account and select forwarding and tell it where to go. You can additionally set it up so that you can send email as your UVA account from another box (so my central account can both send and receive as my UVA account).

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:19 pm

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.

mine's set up firstname.lastname@email.virginia.edu and it works fine. Btw, I also have both accounts forwarded to my main (non-UVA) email account.


What is the benefit of forwarding them all to your main email account AND how do you do this? Do you do it in the UVA email management thing or do you just do it in the UVA gmail? What email address shows up in your outgoing mail and your reply to when you do this? Please help me, I feel like an idiot.

The computing system at my undergrad was soooo much better than this. We had one login to anything related to technology and it was all intertwined. This all seems way overly complicated.

I forward them because I have another gmail account that gets my other multiple emails (ISP, UG, etc) sent to it.

To forward, go to "Settings" in the UVA gmail account and select forwarding and tell it where to go. You can additionally set it up so that you can send email as your UVA account from another box (so my central account can both send and receive as my UVA account).


Does that automatically forward my initials and alias emails? The sending thing can be done in gmail too? How do you tell it which one to use? I feel like I will mess that up all the time. Do I need to do anything from the UVA account management thing?

Anyone keeping your emails separate? I kept them separate in UG and kind of liked it, but I dunno how that will work now.

(Sorry if I sound clueless... I am)

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:20 pm

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:I'm not sure that myname@email.virginia.edu is a valid email address. If I remember correctly, my friend set it up like that and it didn't work.

mine's set up firstname.lastname@email.virginia.edu and it works fine. Btw, I also have both accounts forwarded to my main (non-UVA) email account.


What is the benefit of forwarding them all to your main email account AND how do you do this? Do you do it in the UVA email management thing or do you just do it in the UVA gmail? What email address shows up in your outgoing mail and your reply to when you do this? Please help me, I feel like an idiot.

The computing system at my undergrad was soooo much better than this. We had one login to anything related to technology and it was all intertwined. This all seems way overly complicated.

I forward them because I have another gmail account that gets my other multiple emails (ISP, UG, etc) sent to it.

To forward, go to "Settings" in the UVA gmail account and select forwarding and tell it where to go. You can additionally set it up so that you can send email as your UVA account from another box (so my central account can both send and receive as my UVA account).


Wow that was super easy...I feel stupid. I was trying to set it up from my main account by forwarding "an account I already own." Thanks!

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:22 pm

limegreen wrote:
Anyone keeping your emails separate? I kept them separate in UG and kind of liked it, but I dunno how that will work now.

(Sorry if I sound clueless... I am)


You can use labels to kinda keep them all separate in your gmail

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm

limegreen wrote:Does that automatically forward my initials and alias emails? The sending thing can be done in gmail too? How do you tell it which one to use? I feel like I will mess that up all the time. Do I need to do anything from the UVA account management thing?

Anyone keeping your emails separate? I kept them separate in UG and kind of liked it, but I dunno how that will work now.

(Sorry if I sound clueless... I am)


Yes, that will forward both initials and alias emails.

To setup so that you send from your UVA account under a non-UVA gmail, go to the non-UVA gmail and go under "Settings", "Accounts" and add another address. A confirmation email will be sent to the UVA email address and once you confirm you can send from that account.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks iceberger and napolnic! Very helpful!

mijahe
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby mijahe » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm

http://itc.virginia.edu/email/student/faq.html#popimap

You could also use this if you want to use Outlook, Thunderbird or even your outside GMail account. Note that if you're using GMail, the GMail password it says to change is the UVa Gmail account, not your personal outside GMail account.
Last edited by mijahe on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:55 pm

mijahe wrote:http://itc.virginia.edu/email/student/faq.html#popimap

You could also use this if you want to use Outlook, Thunderbird or even your outside GMail account. Note that if you're using GMail, the GMail password is says to change is the UVa Gmail account, not your personal outside GMail account.


I think I'm going to make all my UVA passwords and email passwords the same so that I don't have to worry about it.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Since I don't feel like digging through all of the old posts about computers, I just wanted to clarify that I don't need to get one of the law school bundles, correct? I've been looking for a new laptop with some gaming ability and this caught my eye:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220520

It's half as much as the Dell bundle, and looks a lot better.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8503
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SteelersandGators
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby SteelersandGators » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Rainmaker11 wrote:Sorry to digress, but when is everyone planning on buying books?


don't buy books until you know which section you're in/what professors you have.....professors don't necessarily all use the same casebooks

User avatar
Jim_Stansel
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Jim_Stansel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:Sorry to digress, but when is everyone planning on buying books?


don't buy books until you know which section you're in/what professors you have.....professors don't necessarily all use the same casebooks


What's the average amount a 1L will spend on books? I know the financial aid office estimate, but I'm wondering if that matches up with what an actual student thinks.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:Sorry to digress, but when is everyone planning on buying books?


don't buy books until you know which section you're in/what professors you have.....professors don't necessarily all use the same casebooks


What's the average amount a 1L will spend on books? I know the financial aid office estimate, but I'm wondering if that matches up with what an actual student thinks.


Usually $500-800/semester not counting hornbooks. You can also try to save money on used books or going online to search. Given the timeframe, I would recommend this more for the Spring than the Fall since you'll have much more time to know which books you need.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm

gladiator wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:Sorry to digress, but when is everyone planning on buying books?


don't buy books until you know which section you're in/what professors you have.....professors don't necessarily all use the same casebooks


What's the average amount a 1L will spend on books? I know the financial aid office estimate, but I'm wondering if that matches up with what an actual student thinks.


Usually $500-800/semester not counting hornbooks. You can also try to save money on used books or going online to search. Given the timeframe, I would recommend this more for the Spring than the Fall since you'll have much more time to know which books you need.


Is there a book buy back program of any kind at the end of the semester? My UG bookstore would buy back books and there was also a student used book sale.

Do many people unbind their books? It seems like a good idea in theory because I am assuming our books are big and heavy, but is it actually worth it in practice?

I know this has been addressed all over the place, but do you specifically( gladiator) recommend hornbooks and that kind of thing?

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm

^^ +1 to limegreen's question. also, how much would you estimate an average set of hornbooks would run first semester?

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:24 pm

limegreen wrote:Is there a book buy back program of any kind at the end of the semester? My UG bookstore would buy back books and there was also a student used book sale.

Do many people unbind their books? It seems like a good idea in theory because I am assuming our books are big and heavy, but is it actually worth it in practice?

I know this has been addressed all over the place, but do you specifically( gladiator) recommend hornbooks and that kind of thing?


There is one but they don't give you much for them so I decided to keep my books. I think generally you can get like $20-30 for a $100-150 casebook. I didn't write in my books at all so I felt bad getting so little back for what look like brand new books. One day I'll put them all on a bookshelf to collect dust I suppose.

I've never actually seen anyone unbind their books but yes it seems like a good idea in theory at least.

I didn't use any hornbooks the entire year and I think I did well without them but most people use them a lot. I never really understood the point of paying to have some guy/lady tell me what I already learned in class. The examples and practice questions could be helpful though and obviously they can be helpful if you didn't understand something when the professor explained it. I think Abraham Torts and Chemerinsky ConLaw are pretty standard bibles. Otherwise E & Es seem most popular. I'm not sure what they cost, I think maybe $25-50 each?

User avatar
applepie
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby applepie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm

wow..just caught up with the thread

im excited to be moving in soon (July 17) and was wondering about airport transportation

does anyone know about how much a cab from CHO to near campus runs? are there any cheaper student versions? what about from Richmond?

I cant seem to find much useful info online other than a cab company name (i always remember to think about this after working hours) and am otherwise clueless about flying (UG was only 4 hours from home)

Thinking of starting an airport ride club....

rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rsr28 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

applepie wrote:wow..just caught up with the thread

im excited to be moving in soon (July 17) and was wondering about airport transportation

does anyone know about how much a cab from CHO to near campus runs? are there any cheaper student versions? what about from Richmond?

I cant seem to find much useful info online other than a cab company name (i always remember to think about this after working hours) and am otherwise clueless about flying (UG was only 4 hours from home)

Thinking of starting an airport ride club....


Cab from CHO to the law school would be $25-30, maybe a little more; it is a solid 20+ minute drive. Cab from Richmond (75+ minute drive) would be prohibitively expensive -- you should just get a limousine at that point (probably $100-150, maybe a bit more).

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Buy a friend a cheap dinner and ask them to take you to the airport, works for me. That should work for Charlottesville at least, Richmond would have to be a really nice friend.

User avatar
rdt854
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rdt854 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Hey, anyone browsing this board, if you play Tennis and wana play a couple of times per week, that would be tremendous. Id much rather play with a law student then some random. PS me if your interested

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:18 pm

rdt854 wrote:Hey, anyone browsing this board, if you play Tennis and wana play a couple of times per week, that would be tremendous. Id much rather play with a law student then some random. PS me if your interested


I'm going out of town Wednesday, maybe when I get back next week. I just got back into playing tennis though so not that good.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest