UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iceberger

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:02 am

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
isittomorrowyet wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I really like the packets they sent us, but why the mention of exams and schedules??? I prefer not to think of them until November, thanks guys.

+1. I'm glad that they are spaced out pretty well, though.

I got that packet today as well but only skimmed through it quickly. Orientation seems pretty hardcore.

Mine says we get prison tats a the end.

did the package come to your permanent address or the other one? i'm a few days from moving away from my current address and i'm worried i'll miss it, haha.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 am

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:19 am

iceberger wrote:
napolnic wrote:

did the package come to your permanent address or the other one? i'm a few days from moving away from my current address and i'm worried i'll miss it, haha.

permanent (as per my application). I'm sure you could have it forwarded, or, if all else fails, I'm sure one of us'll scan if for you.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 am

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
isittomorrowyet wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I really like the packets they sent us, but why the mention of exams and schedules??? I prefer not to think of them until November, thanks guys.

+1. I'm glad that they are spaced out pretty well, though.

I got that packet today as well but only skimmed through it quickly. Orientation seems pretty hardcore.

LOL

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 am

YCrevolution wrote:Mine definitely went to my permanent address which is my parents'. :(

ahh, ok. well, ill be there in a few days to receive it i guess. fun fact: I wrote "June 31st" as the last day I would be at my current address on all my applications, then had a major freakout thinking everywhere would reject me for not knowing June 31st doesn't actually exist. Glad I'm past that now.

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 am

lsatbobby wrote:
napolnic wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:thank ya. i'm sort of dissapointed that we won't get our sections until a few days before orientation. we can't buy our books before we get our sections, and im pretty sure the money ive saved for books will be spent on clothes before then.

I'm still wavering between "Gee, I have loans, I don't have to worry about money for three years" and "JESUSFUCKINGCHRIST! DON'T SPEND A PENNY!!!!"

yes, me too. that's what taking out a bajillion dollars in loans will do to you.

Good to know that this reaction is normal. me too.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:17 am

So I'm not a big fan of self-help, user's guides, etc. - the only "self-help" books I own are cookbooks. However, my boyfriend and his family are psycho's about them (everything from alternative medicine to that "habits of highly effective people" book to his mom's "how to be a good christian mother" books). Last night I was telling him how I felt a little unprepared for law school because I don't even know what a hornbook is and what if I don't go above and beyond for preparation and I fail miserably (or even a little bit because that would still not be good for the ego).

I broke down and bought "Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience". He's going to medical school and has at least 8 of these types of books (the guy is already preparing for applying for his residency 4 years from now). He claims the Med School Confidential is the best of all the books he has. Thus, I bought it for $6 off amazon and will be happy to report back as to whether it is useful or not, share all the secrets, and be as anti-gunner as possible. Anyone else read it?

Again, I apologize - all medschool folks are gunners and they bully others into becoming gunners, as well.

P.S. I didn't get my orientation packet so I clearly can't begin outlining my exam prep schedule before June 30th and thus I fail at my first gunner test :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 am

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 am

Because there will always be people who try to get exams moved for cheaper flights, vacations, etc. and giving the info early allows you to plan around the rigid exam schedule.

danielgude

Postby danielgude » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:28 pm

napolnic wrote:I got mine. A short TOC:

Letter from Jason Dugas
Welcome letter from Asst dean of student affairs
orientation schedule
academic calendar
Fall semester exam schedule (!?)
peer advisor program co-directors welcome letter
list of per advisors (cute, but that's about it)
Student Heath plan info
Letter from prez of student bar ass.

also says that we won't get our sections until the Friday before orientation.

People have mention immunization records and such, but I haven't heard anything about that. Have people heard from UVA, or are they just expecting to have to send records to the school?

I am out of the country until August. Is there anything that needs to be sent back immediately for the Student Health Plan?

Rainmaker11

Postby Rainmaker11 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:39 pm

I believe that the health/medical information form is not due until late August.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Rainmaker11 wrote:I believe that the health/medical information form is not due until late August.

There is a form somewhere online that you have to fill out. It requires a your immunization records to be filled in and you also have to visit a doctor because they want you to be screened for TB. I already had mine done but thanks for the reminder to send it in before I lose it!

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Any of you need a short term job this summer?

--ImageRemoved--

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:01 pm

limegreen wrote:
Rainmaker11 wrote:I believe that the health/medical information form is not due until late August.

There is a form somewhere online that you have to fill out. It requires a your immunization records to be filled in and you also have to visit a doctor because they want you to be screened for TB. I already had mine done but thanks for the reminder to send it in before I lose it!

Do you happen to remember where this form is?

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:07 pm

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Do you happen to remember where this form is?

--LinkRemoved--

green

Postby green » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:25 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:So I'm not a big fan of self-help, user's guides, etc. - the only "self-help" books I own are cookbooks. However, my boyfriend and his family are psycho's about them (everything from alternative medicine to that "habits of highly effective people" book to his mom's "how to be a good christian mother" books). Last night I was telling him how I felt a little unprepared for law school because I don't even know what a hornbook is and what if I don't go above and beyond for preparation and I fail miserably (or even a little bit because that would still not be good for the ego).

I broke down and bought "Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience". He's going to medical school and has at least 8 of these types of books (the guy is already preparing for applying for his residency 4 years from now). He claims the Med School Confidential is the best of all the books he has. Thus, I bought it for $6 off amazon and will be happy to report back as to whether it is useful or not, share all the secrets, and be as anti-gunner as possible. Anyone else read it?

Again, I apologize - all medschool folks are gunners and they bully others into becoming gunners, as well.

P.S. I didn't get my orientation packet so I clearly can't begin outlining my exam prep schedule before June 30th and thus I fail at my first gunner test :D

Yeah, I've heard mixed things about that book. I've heard it's a good overview, but it's also a little psycho. A rising 2L that I know recommended reading if I feel inclined, but to read for pleasure instead of law stuff, since this is probably the last time we'll get to do that for a while. I haven't read a novel in forever, so I think I might pick up a few and read them. Other than that, I got an introductory legal reasoning book and Getting to Maybe, so I'm looking those over a little bit each day. I don't really think they will be that useful until we actually know what's going on (i.e. we know some law), but they give some idea of what to expect.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 am

So I was bored and decided to watch some random UVA Law videos on YouTube. I got a laugh out of a comment from Dean Mahoney's 2009 graduation speech, starting at 2:10. Glad to know he was following the ATL Law Revue contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4JN6-rF ... annel_page

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 am

very happy, Iv been waiting for it to get to page 187 forever so I could post on the same page as my LSAT score, thanks for reading

utley04

Postby utley04 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:36 am

rdt854 wrote:very happy, Iv been waiting for it to get to page 187 forever so I could post on the same page as my LSAT score, thanks for reading

You stole my points!!!!!

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 am

naw i just discovered that if you pattern in the bubble sheet so it forms the word "GUNNER," you unlock the extra special bonus curve.

utley04

Postby utley04 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 am

If you test at a center that's too big too fail, you get a bailout if you fall below 160. If you were at one of these institutions, perhaps they gave you points so there wouldn't be a stigma against those who've actually failed.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 am

mine makes more sense

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:55 am

Anyone know how they decide who to put in what sections? LSAT/GPA?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:59 am

lsatbobby wrote:Anyone know how they decide who to put in what sections? LSAT/GPA?

LSAT/GPA? I read some people talking about that in another thread and did a headshake. It's 2009 - I'm sure UVA has computers capable of running a program that randomly places the students into their respective sections.

edit: I didn't mean to be snarky. I'm 99.9% sure a top school like UVA would just do a blind random draw. There's really no reason to tamper with that kind of set-up.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:04 am

Someone at the Michigan ASW asked an adcomm about this, and they went into a long description about their overly complicated process of putting people into sections, and I was just curious if UVA did anything funky...not that it matters...im just bored at 2am

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”