UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
napolnic

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.

iPhones kick ass. I just wish I could convince myself that they kick ass enough to drop the $$$ for the plan they come with. Full disclosure: I have a $20 per month cell phone plan through my work that Verizon is going to let me renew indefinitely as long as I keep upgrading my phone. I upgraded to a new 2MP camera phone for $20 about a month ago.

Well, my current plan is $39.99 a month plus $15 for unlimited texting. I actually don't think I am going to add the data plan because I will be at school or home 95% of the day where I will have free wireless internet access. Anyone know if you HAVE to get the data plan? If so, I might rethink buying it because I'm not up for an extra $30 on top of the $55...

I just looked at my account online to see if there was any way to cheapen my bill. Looking at the plans, I found this ominous little gem from AT&T about the iPhone data plan:

AT&T Overlords wrote:Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks napolnic. I don't know why you would want an iphone without a data plan anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose. I mean I have wifi most of the time at home/school/etc. too, but it is really convenient to have access to (email, weather, insert random activity you enjoy here), at all times.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 pm

limegreen wrote:Thanks napolnic. I don't know why you would want an iphone without a data plan anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose. I mean I have wifi most of the time at home/school/etc. too, but it is really convenient to have access to (email, weather, insert random activity you enjoy here), at all times.

Ugh, what a headache. I'd rather just check my email and the weather once a day, read the news when I get home at night, and pocket the money I'll save by not getting an iPhone / BB.

But then again, I'm an ancient 26-year-old who remembers playing outside between the ages of 5 and 10.

Times change.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:02 pm

CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Thanks napolnic. I don't know why you would want an iphone without a data plan anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose. I mean I have wifi most of the time at home/school/etc. too, but it is really convenient to have access to (email, weather, insert random activity you enjoy here), at all times.

Ugh, what a headache. I'd rather just check my email and the weather once a day, read the news when I get home at night, and pocket the money I'll save by not getting an iPhone / BB.

But then again, I'm an ancient 26-year-old who remembers playing outside between the ages of 5 and 10.

Times change.

Hahha true. You and my ancient 29-year-old bf will have to befriend each other if he ends up moving with me...he keeps informing me that if I live like a lawyer when I am a student, I will have to live like a student when I'm actually a lawyer...blah blah blah.

green

Postby green » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:10 pm

CE2JD wrote:

Times change.

I didn't get an email address until 2005...life was much simpler then.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
CE2JD wrote:

Times change.

Hahha true. You and my ancient 29-year-old bf will have to befriend each other if he ends up moving with me...he keeps informing me that if I live like a lawyer when I am a student, I will have to live like a student when I'm actually a lawyer...blah blah blah.

Haha, what does that even mean?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:If you want an iPhone without a data plan, just buy an iPod touch. It does everything the iPhone does except place phone calls and have access to a data plan (IE it can access WiFi, has an app store, works the same way, etc.)

The iPhone is cool but AT&T sketches me out in terms of network/price/locked features. I'd love to find a phone that could tether (work as a modem on a laptop) but AT&T specifically blocks that on the iPhone. I'm also currently with verizon, but it's looking more and more like they got the short end of the stick on smartphones.

The iPhone is going to work for tethering later this summer. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260012-37.html

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:51 pm

limegreen wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If you want an iPhone without a data plan, just buy an iPod touch. It does everything the iPhone does except place phone calls and have access to a data plan (IE it can access WiFi, has an app store, works the same way, etc.)

The iPhone is cool but AT&T sketches me out in terms of network/price/locked features. I'd love to find a phone that could tether (work as a modem on a laptop) but AT&T specifically blocks that on the iPhone. I'm also currently with verizon, but it's looking more and more like they got the short end of the stick on smartphones.

The iPhone is going to work for tethering later this summer. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10260012-37.html

FYI - apparently there is a UVA corporate discount with AT&T wireless. My wife started work for UVA Health Sciences Foundation and was able to enter her UVA email into the AT&T wireless discount site and receive a discount.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 pm

thesealocust wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
limegreen wrote:

FYI - apparently there is a UVA corporate discount with AT&T wireless. My wife started work for UVA Health Sciences Foundation and was able to enter her UVA email into the AT&T wireless discount site and receive a discount.

I tested this up 'til charging my credit card - big savings, 20% per month on voice and data! Might push me over the edge... checking to see if it'll work with Sprint now too

Does that work for iphone plans and for current customers? How do I make it work?

ETA: I think it works for current customers, but is this discount meant for students too or only employees? I don't want to get in trouble... some random cell phone discount isn't worth it.
Last edited by limegreen on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeroeffort

Postby zeroeffort » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry to hijack the phone convo, but getting back to grills.

Do people have grills at Ivy Gardens? Can you keep them outside? And if not, can you have them inside and take them out when you use it?

Thanks

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:38 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
limegreen wrote:ETA: I think it works for current customers, but is this discount meant for students too or only employees? I don't want to get in trouble... some random cell phone discount isn't worth it.

It may work for grad students + employees? Either way, you won't get in trouble for using it if they offered it to you.

Well no one offered it to me, I just read about it on here... I can't find any details about it anywhere, though when I type my UVA mail address in it says I'm eligible.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 pm

I bought the 8G 3G iphone today (the old one, not the new 3G S). So far, I love it. Those of you who already have one, any free application recommendations? I already downloaded Netflix, Shazam, and the iHandy Level. Is there a good restaurant finder out there?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:41 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I bought the 8G 3G iphone today (the old one, not the new 3G S). So far, I love it. Those of you who already have one, any free application recommendations? I already downloaded Netflix, Shazam, and the iHandy Level. Is there a good restaurant finder out there?

I like Yelp..

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I bought the 8G 3G iphone today (the old one, not the new 3G S). So far, I love it. Those of you who already have one, any free application recommendations? I already downloaded Netflix, Shazam, and the iHandy Level. Is there a good restaurant finder out there?

I like Yelp..

Seconded. I also like: Facebook, Google Earth (awesome!!0, WeatherBug or The Weather Channel for weather (I use both), FML, eBay, USA Today (best news one I've tried), Showtimes (for movie times), Pandora (free radio thing), Dictionary, Whiteboard (only fun if you know someone else with iPhone- you can draw together

Also, I dropped my brand new 3GS in the parking lot today after recommending you get a case... lucky the incase saved it and the case only suffered minor scratching.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

I like Yelp..

There's also Where which combines a couple of programs, including Yelp. I don't use Yelp that much, so the dedicated app might be better if that's all you use, but Where also does things like movie theaters and coffee shops.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 am

this thread needs a bump...

anyone here play tennis? or planning on playing tennis in c-ville? i'm not that good at all, but i'm hoping to keep up my playing some through law school.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:19 am

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 am

iceberger wrote:this thread needs a bump...

anyone here play tennis? or planning on playing tennis in c-ville? i'm not that good at all, but i'm hoping to keep up my playing some through law school.

I played throughout high school and joined the club team in college. I would be up for hitting anytime (I'm very rusty though - haven't played in awhile).

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 am

iceberger wrote:this thread needs a bump...

I took a tennis class when I was 10 and then again last year at school for one semester - I really had fun and wasn't terrible, but none of my friends in Milwaukee or Alabama play so I've never gotten too into it. I'd love to give it another shot! I found my tennis racket last week when I was cleaning out a closet in my apartment.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:01 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
gladiator wrote:http://www.barracksroad.com/largemap.php

USPS- #10

Thanks!

I haven't used the instant watch option yet, but I have started adding movies to my instant watch queue so that next time I have a little time I will have one ready to watch. I also have a DVR and cable so now it's like what do I watch?!

I have just been dropping mine off in the mailbox here in the morning, the mailman comes in the afternoon (I think- anyone at the Woodlands feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), is that not what I should be doing?

It works, but I've found that it's sometimes the slowest way since the mailman isn't going to give the mail to the post office until he gets back, and it often seems that this occurs after the post office sends out its last batch of mail (to be delivered) for the day. You then have to wait another day.

That said, it may just be that there's no way of getting a DVD to Netflix the next day if you're in Charlottesville.

I just used the letter dropbox (before noon, which is the first pick-up time) just outside the Barracks post office for my Netflix DVDs yesterday and Netflix got them this morning.

Good to know. I gave it to my mailman yesterday around 11:30 am and Netflix apparently has gotten it already.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm very tempted to sign up for Netflix, but I'm afraid it might take over too much of my life. I like to get the most bang out of my buck I can and this could lead to disaster.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”