UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8449
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8449
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:Does anybody want to talk smartphones to me? I'm currently using a ~1 year old candybar type phone that flips open for qwerty texting abilities, but blackberrys and palm pres and iphones are starting to look extremely intriguing. I guess the most important questions are: Is there decent coverage in Charlottesville for any of the carriers? Are any of the phones themselves champions or duds? and is the price increase of the plan worth it for the email and data service?


If you're planning on carrying around a laptop with you 90% of the time while you're in law school (like I am) I'd say it's not worth it to drop $100 a month for a blackberry, iPhone, or similar plan.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8449
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdfsd222
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby asdfsd222 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:30 pm

...
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:31 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.


Try calling the school. I don't think this is something many (any?) of us have seriously contemplated.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:32 pm

iamjikem wrote:Shouldn't need the ethernet cable (does anybody know why we would need this cable?)

I'm not sure if this is rhetorical or not, so I'll go ahead and answer it:

You might possibly (maybe, but probably not) need one if you don't have a wireless router at your house. Other than that, I have no clue. Are there hardwire networks in the classrooms?

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:34 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.


Hypothetically, the fact that you've excelled academically enough to get into UVA (and waitlisted at two presumably higher-ranked schools to which you would rather attend, as you so kindly told us during your first post), would indicate that if you aren't planning on being lazy and doing poorly during 1L and you have any social grace whatsoever, you should be able to get a job after your 2L OCIs.

Wow that was one long sentence...

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.


Hypothetically, the fact that you've excelled academically enough to get into UVA (and waitlisted at two presumably higher-ranked schools to which you would rather attend, as you so kindly told us during your first post), would indicate that if you aren't planning on being lazy and doing poorly during 1L and you have any social grace whatsoever, you should be able to get a job after your 2L OCIs.

Wow that was one long sentence...


He told us he'd rather go somewhere else?

Troll/miserable person alert.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:38 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.


Hypothetically, the fact that you've excelled academically enough to get into UVA (and waitlisted at two presumably higher-ranked schools to which you would rather attend, as you so kindly told us during your first post), would indicate that if you aren't planning on being lazy and doing poorly during 1L and you have any social grace whatsoever, you should be able to get a job after your 2L OCIs.

Wow that was one long sentence...


He told us he'd rather go somewhere else?

Troll/miserable person alert.



His first post was inquiring about breaking leases at Ivy because he's waitlisted at two other schools he'd rather attend and is hoping to get into one of them. I don't think he's a troll; miserable perhaps.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Does anybody want to talk smartphones to me? I'm currently using a ~1 year old candybar type phone that flips open for qwerty texting abilities, but blackberrys and palm pres and iphones are starting to look extremely intriguing. I guess the most important questions are: Is there decent coverage in Charlottesville for any of the carriers? Are any of the phones themselves champions or duds? and is the price increase of the plan worth it for the email and data service?


If you're planning on carrying around a laptop with you 90% of the time while you're in law school (like I am) I'd say it's not worth it to drop $100 a month for a blackberry, iPhone, or similar plan.


I guess we will be on a fairly tight leash to a building that's open 24 hours with permenant wifi...


Wha?

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:50 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:I wouldn't be looking for a 1L refund. I'd want to go through OCI and drop out 2L fall if I didn't get something... some schools have tiered plans where they reimburse you according to how long you stayed that semester.


Hypothetically, the fact that you've excelled academically enough to get into UVA (and waitlisted at two presumably higher-ranked schools to which you would rather attend, as you so kindly told us during your first post), would indicate that if you aren't planning on being lazy and doing poorly during 1L and you have any social grace whatsoever, you should be able to get a job after your 2L OCIs.

Wow that was one long sentence...


He told us he'd rather go somewhere else?

Troll/miserable person alert.


His first post was inquiring about breaking leases at Ivy because he's waitlisted at two other schools he'd rather attend and is hoping to get into one of them. I don't think he's a troll; miserable perhaps.




He needs to stop reading the economy doom megathread and relax or something. I can't believe someone would be that scared or think UVA grads that unemployable as to want to drop out after 1L OCI.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Dropping out would be insane, unless you placed at the bottom of the class or something. The economy is a wreck now, but I'm sure we will soon see a return to a time when anyone with a pulse from UVA Law can get a great job.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:Does anybody want to talk smartphones to me? I'm currently using a ~1 year old candybar type phone that flips open for qwerty texting abilities, but blackberrys and palm pres and iphones are starting to look extremely intriguing. I guess the most important questions are: Is there decent coverage in Charlottesville for any of the carriers? Are any of the phones themselves champions or duds? and is the price increase of the plan worth it for the email and data service?


Get an iPhone, seriously, it is as amazing as they claim.

I had the original iPhone and I just got the iPhone 3GS. It is definitely way faster and all of the improvements are great. The apps on the iPhone are endless, right now I have a wide variety including: Netflix, a voice recorder, Facebook, eTRADE mobile, a few weather apps, FML, eBay, Shazam (listens to a song and tells you who it is by) ,a ruler, and a variety of games. Before it ran me about 100 a month but I think it will be slightly more with the new data plan.

The phone coverage in Charlottesville is good, but there is no 3G which I'm sure someone else would mention if I didn't. This means that you have slower internet and email on the EDGE network, but it's not that slow and most of the time I don't do much besides a quick weather check or google search if I'm not on wifi, anyway. I have not found EDGE to be prohibitively slow.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! (No I don't work for Apple)

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:03 pm

limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


limegreen, I am going to use your argument to my boyfriend tonight when I come home with the iphone after work. He has talked me out of getting the old iphone (for only $99!!!) for the past two weeks because I'll have my laptop all the time. I've exercised self control and resisted for the past two weeks but you just convinced me since I could control my netflix from my phone :D

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


limegreen, I am going to use your argument to my boyfriend tonight when I come home with the iphone after work. He has talked me out of getting the old iphone (for only $99!!!) for the past two weeks because I'll have my laptop all the time. I've exercised self control and resisted for the past two weeks but you just convinced me since I could control my netflix from my phone :D


You will love it! The Netflix app is awesome, you can add movies to your queue and change the order and pretty much everything else you can do on the website.

I also have a lot of really random (but still cool) apps, like a book reader that has a bunch of classic old books and tv listings and movie showtimes, etc.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


limegreen, I am going to use your argument to my boyfriend tonight when I come home with the iphone after work. He has talked me out of getting the old iphone (for only $99!!!) for the past two weeks because I'll have my laptop all the time. I've exercised self control and resisted for the past two weeks but you just convinced me since I could control my netflix from my phone :D


You will love it! The Netflix app is awesome, you can add movies to your queue and change the order and pretty much everything else you can do on the website.

I also have a lot of really random (but still cool) apps, like a book reader that has a bunch of classic old books and tv listings and movie showtimes, etc.


There's an AT&T store next door to my office...I'm seriously counting down the minutes until 3:30 rolls around and I can get my new toy!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:18 pm

limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


iPhones kick ass. I just wish I could convince myself that they kick ass enough to drop the $$$ for the plan they come with. Full disclosure: I have a discounted $20 per month cell phone plan through my work that Verizon is going to let me renew indefinitely as long as I keep upgrading my phone. I upgraded to a new 2MP camera phone for $20 about a month ago.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm

CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


iPhones kick ass. I just wish I could convince myself that they kick ass enough to drop the $$$ for the plan they come with. Full disclosure: I have a $20 per month cell phone plan through my work that Verizon is going to let me renew indefinitely as long as I keep upgrading my phone. I upgraded to a new 2MP camera phone for $20 about a month ago.



Well, my current plan is $39.99 a month plus $15 for unlimited texting. I actually don't think I am going to add the data plan because I will be at school or home 95% of the day where I will have free wireless internet access. Anyone know if you HAVE to get the data plan? If so, I might rethink buying it because I'm not up for an extra $30 on top of the $55...

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:24 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


limegreen, I am going to use your argument to my boyfriend tonight when I come home with the iphone after work. He has talked me out of getting the old iphone (for only $99!!!) for the past two weeks because I'll have my laptop all the time. I've exercised self control and resisted for the past two weeks but you just convinced me since I could control my netflix from my phone :D


You will love it! The Netflix app is awesome, you can add movies to your queue and change the order and pretty much everything else you can do on the website.

I also have a lot of really random (but still cool) apps, like a book reader that has a bunch of classic old books and tv listings and movie showtimes, etc.


There's an AT&T store next door to my office...I'm seriously counting down the minutes until 3:30 rolls around and I can get my new toy!


After you get it post on here how you like it!

One thing I really really recommend is getting a case. I have gone through probably five cases and the best one I have found is the incase slider. It doesn't add much bulk at all but it really protects your phone, even when you drop it on concrete multiple times (oops). There is a new hybrid incase that has hard plastic on the back and soft on the side and I've heard that is good too, but I wasn't able to find one around here to try.

Best Buy, Target, and the Apple Stores all carry the incase slider. I think it is $35, but it is head and shoulders above all of the other cases I've tried. Agent 18 hard cases are decent as well, but don't come in as good of colors and don't look quite as sleek. I tried the incase rubber case and it was okay but it allowed a lot of dirt to get inside which can scratch the "chrome" bezel front of the phone. It also seemed to stretch out pretty quickly.

I also recommend a screen protector. I get the power support crystal film set, the only place I have been able to find it is the Apple Store. $15 for a two pack, but they last for probably 6 months and make it easier to remove fingerprints and keep the screen from gathering as many. They also make an anti-glare film which I have tried but I prefer the crystal film set. Both of the films from power support just go on I guess with static so there is no adhesive and no liquid required to put them on. They come off completely clean with just a piece of tape stuck on the corner to pull it up.

I recently tried the Invisible Shield and have to say I thought it was horrible. You have to use some liquid spray to apply it which is a big problem for me because I was afraid I would mess something up, and it was just really bumpy and weird feeling and it stretched out so it wasn't centered properly despite me working on it for a long time. The wholes for the button and earpiece stretched out too so it just didn't work.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:25 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


iPhones kick ass. I just wish I could convince myself that they kick ass enough to drop the $$$ for the plan they come with. Full disclosure: I have a $20 per month cell phone plan through my work that Verizon is going to let me renew indefinitely as long as I keep upgrading my phone. I upgraded to a new 2MP camera phone for $20 about a month ago.



Well, my current plan is $39.99 a month plus $15 for unlimited texting. I actually don't think I am going to add the data plan because I will be at school or home 95% of the day where I will have free wireless internet access. Anyone know if you HAVE to get the data plan? If so, I might rethink buying it because I'm not up for an extra $30 on top of the $55...


I believe that you do HAVE to get a data plan, but I am not entirely sure. I'm sure it's probably written somewhere on the AT&T website. I think for almost all smart phones they require you get a data plan, but again I can't be sure.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:26 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Just wanted to add that even though you will have a laptop a lot of the time, I cannot count the number of times I've actually reached for my iPhone and not my laptop when they were both within reach. Many of the apps/websites on the iPhone are infinitely more user friendly and efficient than their computer counterparts.


iPhones kick ass. I just wish I could convince myself that they kick ass enough to drop the $$$ for the plan they come with. Full disclosure: I have a $20 per month cell phone plan through my work that Verizon is going to let me renew indefinitely as long as I keep upgrading my phone. I upgraded to a new 2MP camera phone for $20 about a month ago.



Well, my current plan is $39.99 a month plus $15 for unlimited texting. I actually don't think I am going to add the data plan because I will be at school or home 95% of the day where I will have free wireless internet access. Anyone know if you HAVE to get the data plan? If so, I might rethink buying it because I'm not up for an extra $30 on top of the $55...


I believe that you do HAVE to get a data plan, but I am not entirely sure. I'm sure it's probably written somewhere on the AT&T website. I think for almost all smart phones they require you get a data plan, but again I can't be sure.


They don't require it for a blackberry because I have one currently (ironically because it was the cheapest option at the time when my phone broke)

Edit: I'm going to walk over in an hour anyways and find out.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I stand corrected. Maybe you don't need it for the iPhone then? Also, since there is no 3G in Cville maybe you could talk them into crediting you back some for the data plan? I dunno.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests