UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cavalier

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:00 am

That doesn't make any sense. I thought the job of the dean was to travel all around the country raising money from wealthy alumni.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 am

a.williams wrote:Anyone know approximately what a semesters worth of new books will cost from the bookstore? Just curious as I'm trying to break down my costs compared to what I am going to have with my loans, considering UVA budgets $1,800 for the year.

Edit: Do any UVA professors have their own casebooks that we would use in 1L classes?

+1, anyone know? I would just like to add that we are, in fact, a chatty group. I miss a couple hours and the thread grew by two pages. Now I have some smidge of what it feels to be crazyinalabama.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 am

napolnic wrote:
a.williams wrote:Anyone know approximately what a semesters worth of new books will cost from the bookstore? Just curious as I'm trying to break down my costs compared to what I am going to have with my loans, considering UVA budgets $1,800 for the year.

Edit: Do any UVA professors have their own casebooks that we would use in 1L classes?

+1, anyone know? I would just like to add that we are, in fact, a chatty group. I miss a couple hours and the thread grew by two pages. Now I have some smidge of what it feels to be crazyinalabama.

Yea, I've had a hard time keeping up myself if I miss a day, so I try to at least read through real quick when I get some time.

About moving in early- it's relatively boring right now because my SO and I don't really know anyone, but he starts a job in a few weeks and I knew I would want some time to get adjusted before that so it has worked out nicely being here early. I am very much looking forward to everyone else moving in!

YCRev- How did the move go? You enjoying Cville yet?

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 am

napolnic wrote:

+1. Just a day and 5 pages to catch up on...I would be interested to know how much books cost as well.

dinkyjeans

Postby dinkyjeans » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 am

so i've been browsing this thread for a while but only just now decided to join- hi!
are you guys planning on bringing your laptop to class everyday/most days? i'm debating between getting a backpack or stylish girlie-bag to tote my books around in and can't decide how often the laptop will need to make an appearance.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 am

Some answers to recent questions...

Mahoney teaches but I think most deans do. I'm pretty sure Jeffries did when he was dean.

Kordana was the one who took forever on grades. Something I know very well because he was my professor (grrrrrrr) and guess who I took this semester and is bringing up the rear on grading...him again. (grrr)

Books seem to cost about $500-800 per semester. I guess if you try really hard you can find used books on Amazon/BN and save some money. Also that doesn't include the cost of hornbooks if you're going to buy them. There's a PILA used book auction at the beginning of each semester but I didn't go; you could probably save some money buying there too.

Some professors use their own books but it's not that prevalent.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:32 am

dinkyjeans wrote:so i've been browsing this thread for a while but only just now decided to join- hi!
are you guys planning on bringing your laptop to class everyday/most days? i'm debating between getting a backpack or stylish girlie-bag to tote my books around in and can't decide how often the laptop will need to make an appearance.

Welcome! I plan on bringing my laptop everyday and will probably stick with my backpack just because it is the most comfortable way of carrying stuff around for me. Plus I've had it for 8+ years and wouldn't dare spare y'all the presence of my bright yellow, dirty, scraggly backpack :D I might finally part ways with it when I become a lawyer and am forced to get a briefcase...but then again, maybe I won't....

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:40 am

dinkyjeans wrote:so i've been browsing this thread for a while but only just now decided to join- hi!

I'll be bringing my netbook every day (barring having a rash of professors who ban laptops, but even then I might bring it for between classes), and I'll be sporting the messenger bag (aka, the murse). As for books themselves, I don't imagine taking casebooks and the like to class everyday, maybe a scanned copy if I feel like being neurotic, but my understanding is that if you've read the case and briefed it (or just read), you don't really need books in class.

asdfsd222

Postby asdfsd222 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 am

Can someone describe to me, on a scale of 1-10, how shitty the inside of Ivy Garden apartments are? How are the bathrooms/kitchen?

I'm being pressured by management to sign a lease within the next couple of days, and live far from charlottesville and therefore won't be able to see the apartments.

Living within walking distance to school is a priority for me, since my car is not reliable.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 am

asdfsd222 wrote:Can someone describe to me, on a scale of 1-10, how shitty the inside of Ivy Garden apartments are? How are the bathrooms/kitchen?

I'm being pressured by management to sign a lease within the next couple of days, and live far from charlottesville and therefore won't be able to see the apartments.

Living within walking distance to school is a priority for me, since my car is not reliable.

It depends on what you're used to having. The apartments are perfectly acceptable but the kitchen is not going to impress and the bathrooms are pretty standard looking. Pretty much all of the apartments within walking distance of the law school are about the same, acceptable but nothing special.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 am

napolnic wrote:

I'll be bringing my netbook every day (barring having a rash of professors who ban laptops, but even then I might bring it for between classes), and I'll be sporting the messenger bag (aka, the murse). As for books themselves, I don't imagine taking casebooks and the like to class everyday, maybe a scanned copy if I feel like being neurotic, but my understanding is that if you've read the case and briefed it (or just read), you don't really need books in class.

I plan on bringing my laptop where ever possible. No one ever used laptops for notes at my undergrad and I'm looking forward to a change. As long as I can handle the change, I'm going to stick with the laptop, otherwise I might just go back to pen and paper.

I'm just going to use a backpack that I've had and works well.

As for casebooks, I'll probably bring mine to class the first week or two and see how it goes. We have lockers anyways so its not like we have to go far to grab them before class.

asdfsd222

Postby asdfsd222 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:58 am

It depends on what you're used to having. The apartments are perfectly acceptable but the kitchen is not going to impress and the bathrooms are pretty standard looking. Pretty much all of the apartments within walking distance of the law school are about the same, acceptable but nothing special.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to be impressed. I'm more concerned about cleanliness than anything else, but I assume the apartment gets a thorough cleaning before the next tenant moves in?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not expecting to be impressed. I'm more concerned about cleanliness than anything else, but I assume the apartment gets a thorough cleaning before the next tenant moves in?

I don't live there so I don't know the specifics but I assume not. If my apartment is any indication, it was a dump when I was touring it and it was fine and clean when I moved in.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I just got back from camping for 3 days and hiking got me really excited for Virginia next month!

Yay for camping and all things foresty. Were you camping in Alabama? Out here in Virginia it's possible to score morels, the tastiest mushrooms I've ever had.

I'll be road tripping starting sometime next week... trying to keep it as spontaneous as possible.

Mmmm mushrooms are tasty. I was in Wisconsin - much too hot and humid for camping in Alabama this time of year for a wimp like me. I'm excited for Virginia because I will actually be hiking to destinations (i.e. waterfalls, overlooks, etc). This past weekend was just woods and more woods.

Although I know some people are indoorsy, I'm not a hardcore backpacker or anything. We need to plan some low-key, low-pressure outings for August if it's not too hot!

Edit: I finally catch up and now I feel like I'm really hogging this page with my enthusiasm...I apologize but at least I'm helping contribute to us reaching pg. 170 soon!

ooooooooo, more morels in Wisconsin than in Virginia... it was probably a bit too late in the season though.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:09 pm

napolnic wrote:

I think gladiator mentioned a torts book by Kenneth S. Abraham, The Forms and Functions of Tort Law.

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Hey all.. I just decided to put my 4 weeks notice in tomorrow!!! What a relief!

I'll be in town at the end of July/early August, living in Ivy.

re: outdoors
I'm a wannabe-outdoorsy type who will be joining the outdoors club for support. I've never eaten a mushroom from the ground. Is that safe? :shock:

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm

geoffree wrote:
napolnic wrote:

I think gladiator mentioned a torts book by Kenneth S. Abraham, The Forms and Functions of Tort Law.

Unless you're talking about a different book, that's a hornbook/study aid not a casebook.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:44 pm

jennyhoo wrote: re: outdoors
I'm a wannabe-outdoorsy type who will be joining the outdoors club for support. I've never eaten a mushroom from the ground. Is that safe? :shock:

I think you are supposed to cook morels first. I don't trust myself to separate the poisonous from the non-poisonous shrooms, though, so I'm not nearly as hardcore as geoffree when hiking.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm coming straight from undergrad, where I lived in a shared house with several other guys, so my standards are a bit lower--but my apt. at Ivy was very clean when they handed over the keys. Looked like they'd just repainted it, and the carpet was perfectly clean to the naked eye. Kitchen was the lowlight of the apt., but it seemed functional. Cabinetry and such was just old and not the nicest; but it wasn't dirty or anything. Again, it really depends what you're accustomed to as far as housing goes.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:58 pm

napolnic wrote:

I don't know of anyone who didn't bring their book to class on a regular basis. Pretty much everyone brings it every day -- if you get cold called you'll pretty much need it regardless of any briefs or notes that you may have.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm

rsr28 wrote:
napolnic wrote:

I don't know of anyone who didn't bring their book to class on a regular basis. Pretty much everyone brings it every day -- if you get cold called you'll pretty much need it regardless of any briefs or notes that you may have.

Good to know

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 pm

napolnic wrote:
rsr28 wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Good to know

good thing we get lockers

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”