UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
geoffree

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:40 pm

napolnic wrote:
geoffree wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Waiting List News
Updated june 15, 2009

Because we received a sufficient number of second deposits, we do not plan to make any wait-list offers at this time. We will monitor our wait-list needs on a daily basis until orientation on Aug. 17. We will continue to release applicants from our waiting list when it becomes clear that we will be unable to offer them a spot.

Sounds like they overenrolled again. I know at least two spots opened up (someone from TLS who left for Harvard, plus Marcus Epstein), so if they still aren't letting anyone off the waitlist, they must have admitted too many people.

...or they have let some others in and they just aren't on TLS or LSN announcing it.

There are three on LSN who are waitlisted/accepted. But that happened back in late February and early March.

fixed

green

Postby green » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:Do a lot of schools have this problem? I only hear of it with UVA...lol

I think more have this problem this year. NYU said they aren't currently planning to take people off their waitlist, and Duke has only one WL/Accepted on LSN. Columbia hasn't accepted anyone in the First Reserve yet, though they are probably going to take a few pretty soon.

When I visited UVA, my host told me about a dude that double deposited at NYU and then left UVA in the first week or two of classes to go to NYU (He said his facebook status read "I can't believe I'm pulling this off" the night before he left). How is this possible, considering that UVA knows if you've double deposited after June 15? Maybe he got in off NYU's waitlist late, but wouldn't either school or both find out?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:49 pm

green wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:Do a lot of schools have this problem? I only hear of it with UVA...lol

I think more have this problem this year. NYU said they aren't currently planning to take people off their waitlist, and Duke has only one WL/Accepted on LSN. Columbia hasn't accepted anyone in the First Reserve yet, though they are probably going to take a few pretty soon.

When I visited UVA, my host told me about a dude that double deposited at NYU and then left UVA in the first week or two of classes to go to NYU (He said his facebook status read "I can't believe I'm pulling this off" the night before he left). How is this possible, considering that UVA knows if you've double deposited after June 15? Maybe he got in off NYU's waitlist late, but wouldn't either school or both find out?

wow, that just seems like a terrible idea

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Regarding that story, the guy switched to NYU right before orientation, not in the 1st week or 2 of classes. As for whether he was double deposited, I'm not aware of those details. He did really just switch without telling anyone though, his roommates were literally trying to find him during the first hour of Orientation when you forfeit your spot in the class by not showing up. He wouldn't answer his phone or anything and everyone thought he was stuck in NY until they found out he was changing schools in the weirdest (dumbest?) of possible ways. He had already moved into his apartment and has been paying rent on it all year. I was actually in that apartment last Friday for Stanley Cup Game 7 with his would-be roommate.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

asdfsd222

Postby asdfsd222 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:58 pm

How do they know if you've double deposited? It seems like a douchey move, but is there some list that becomes available on June 15?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:How do they know if you've double deposited? It seems like a douchey move, but is there some list that becomes available on June 15?

I think so. I imagine schools publish who's enrolled to the ABA or somewhere and then there's some sort of cross-checking that goes on.

omg

Postby omg » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey all!

Posting for a friend...

Two male second year law students looking for a third roommate in a big house close to the Downtown Mall. The address is 712 Ridge St. The house has a large front porch, hardwood floors throughout, and off-street parking. Rent is $433/month. Please write nielsenkp@gmail.com if you are interested. I can send photos on request.

green

Postby green » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 pm

gladiator wrote:Regarding that story, the guy switched to NYU right before orientation, not in the 1st week or 2 of classes. As for whether he was double deposited, I'm not aware of those details. He did really just switch without telling anyone though, his roommates were literally trying to find him during the first hour of Orientation when you forfeit your spot in the class by not showing up. He wouldn't answer his phone or anything and everyone thought he was stuck in NY until they found out he was changing schools in the weirdest (dumbest?) of possible ways. He had already moved into his apartment and has been paying rent on it all year. I was actually in that apartment last Friday for Stanley Cup Game 7 with his would-be roommate.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Probably got in off the waitlist and then wanted to go badly enough to pay two rents.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm

I saw this question in another thread and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys to see if you have an answer. Can you get in-state residency after your first year if your wife claims you as a dependent and pays VA taxes for a year??

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 pm

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:55 pm

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I saw this question in another thread and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys to see if you have an answer. Can you get in-state residency after your first year if your wife claims you as a dependent and pays VA taxes for a year??

I'm not positive, but I don't think it matters what she does on her taxes as long as she is paying VA taxes. From my understanding, if you are married to a VA resident, you are a VA resident and can get in-state tuition rates.

Well, my wife is not a VA resident YET. I guess my question then is: when does my wife become a VA resident? Hopefully it will be before I pay tuition next year!

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:01 am

omg

Postby omg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 am

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I saw this question in another thread and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys to see if you have an answer. Can you get in-state residency after your first year if your wife claims you as a dependent and pays VA taxes for a year??

I'm not positive, but I don't think it matters what she does on her taxes as long as she is paying VA taxes. From my understanding, if you are married to a VA resident, you are a VA resident and can get in-state tuition rates.

Well, my wife is not a VA resident YET. I guess my question then is: when does my wife become a VA resident? Hopefully it will be before I pay tuition next year!

that's a good question

Not sure about when your wife will become one either, but my fiance and I are really hoping (and have been led to believe) that once we get married next June and he pays taxes this year, he'll be able to get in-state tuition at his public VA university. Doing other things like switching your driver's license and voting registration supposedly can help too...

(I'm already a resident.)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 am

asdfsd222 wrote:How do they know if you've double deposited? It seems like a douchey move, but is there some list that becomes available on June 15?

Many schools got together and created a clearinghouse for sharing and verifying deposited students that they start using June 15. It's kind of like the inverse of LSDAS; that lets one student apply easily to a number of schools, but this lets a number of schools track whether that one student is deposited in more than one place.

However, in the E-mail advisory about double depositing that UVA Law sent out, they did say that students who have a compelling reason to be deposited at two schools could send an E-mail with their extenuating circumstances to justify remaining on both. It seems like circumstances would be highly unusual for them to waive their normal policy, though; perhaps the student was an alternate for a scholarship or fellowship program that NYU offers (and they do have many) and was waiting to see if he'd get that or not.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:31 am

From the UVA website:

Q: Can I establish "in-state" status while I am a student?
A: If you are a dependent and your parent(s) or spouse moves to Virginia while you are in school and fulfills the requirements of domicile, you should petition for a change of status effective 12 months after the move. If you entered classified as an out-of-state student, you must present clear and convincing evidence to rebut the presumption that you are residing in the State primarily to attend school. Residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend the University does not entitle you to in-state tuition rates.

It looks like I'm going to have to prove that I plan on living in VA after graduation.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:33 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 am

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:From the UVA website:

Q: Can I establish "in-state" status while I am a student?
A: If you are a dependent and your parent(s) or spouse moves to Virginia while you are in school and fulfills the requirements of domicile, you should petition for a change of status effective 12 months after the move. If you entered classified as an out-of-state student, you must present clear and convincing evidence to rebut the presumption that you are residing in the State primarily to attend school. Residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend the University does not entitle you to in-state tuition rates.

It looks like I'm going to have to prove that I plan on living in VA after graduation.

How do you meet the requirements of domicile?

Get a lease in your name in VA and pay a month's rent.

Also, getting a VA driver's license, VA car registration, and voter registration doesn't hurt.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:18 am

thesealocust wrote:gggggggaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh TLS is bad luck.

I posted something inane above time stamped 10:56 PM. At 11:12 PM my cellphone logs my call to the police I made out of breath having chased a car down my street.

While still sitting at my computer, I heard two loud thwack sounds from the window. The neighborhood has had occasional vandalism, so fearing the worst for poor Motorbike I ran out of the house barefoot - and sure enough there were chunks of broken plastic and glass sitting around the bike. It looks like somebody took a baseball bat to it, or else threw something like a rock or a baseball and then retrieved it, because there was nothing obvious lying around that could have caused that damage. I got done a little less than an hour ago dealing with the police (who were extremely curious and arrived promptly) and my insurance (I switched from Progressive to Geico on June 2nd and they made it sound like they would do a bunch of investigating to make sure I'm not pulling a fast one in terms of the dates on them).

Seriously though, who does something like that? And I'm in a sleept little suburb of NoVA right now, hopefully C-ville doesn't have people who think its funny to randomly attack parked vehicles :(

My parents live in NoVA too and have noticed an increase in those types of crimes lately.

Sad.

Sorry to hear about your bike man.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:01 am

napolnic wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

UVA is the only school that comes to mind, recently. I thought they would have gotten it right this cycle (after overenrolling last time), but with the economy, things must be more unpredictable. I assume that fewer people with scholarship offers are choosing better (well, higher-ranked, since no school is better!) schools with no aid, and perhaps Charlottesville's low COL is a larger factor than usual.

Isn't this the third year of overenrollment? Beh, Trujillo starts to get his footing and then things like the economy happen.

We don't know that it's overenrollment, yet. And it could always correct itself as people get off waitlists at other schools they may wrongly prefer to UVA.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:36 am

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 am

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:gggggggaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh TLS is bad luck.

I posted something inane above time stamped 10:56 PM. At 11:12 PM my cellphone logs my call to the police I made out of breath having chased a car down my street.

While still sitting at my computer, I heard two loud thwack sounds from the window. The neighborhood has had occasional vandalism, so fearing the worst for poor Motorbike I ran out of the house barefoot - and sure enough there were chunks of broken plastic and glass sitting around the bike. It looks like somebody took a baseball bat to it, or else threw something like a rock or a baseball and then retrieved it, because there was nothing obvious lying around that could have caused that damage. I got done a little less than an hour ago dealing with the police (who were extremely curious and arrived promptly) and my insurance (I switched from Progressive to Geico on June 2nd and they made it sound like they would do a bunch of investigating to make sure I'm not pulling a fast one in terms of the dates on them).

Seriously though, who does something like that? And I'm in a sleepy little suburb of NoVA right now, hopefully C-ville doesn't have people who think its funny to randomly attack parked vehicles :(

:(

When I asked at ASD, it didn't seem like there was a huge problem with crime in Charlottesville, but maybe gladiator can weigh in on this.
Last edited by jdn012 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”