UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iceberger

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 pm

showNprove wrote:TLS 2012 Rankings as of June 15:

1. Virginia (165)
2. Michigan (95)
3. Columbia (68)
4. Harvard (63)
5. Berkeley (52)
6. Yale (43)
7. Iowa (38)
8. Texas (32)
9. Cornell (30)
10. Fordham (26)

I wonder why UVA has so many more pages? Are we just more talkative?

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:12 pm

showNprove wrote:
napolnic wrote:
hokie09 wrote:I really would like to take some language classes if at all possible...I was an International Studies major and would like to not get rusty. Anyone know about this?

That's what I was wondering about. I'm not sure if it's feasible/advisable to do it 1L, at least first semester, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

It's impossible to do during the first semester.

You aren't allowed to do it second semester, either.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I guess Vito from the Sopranos found a new job as coach of CS Fullerton.

--ImageRemoved--

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:01 pm

gladiator wrote:I guess Vito from the Sopranos found a new job as coach of CS Fullerton.

--ImageRemoved--

It's so nice to tune in and see Virginia up for once. It seems like the last four games (?), they've been working from behind.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Gladiator's 1L Life Lessons #1, "How to Write A Course Review":

Don't be That Guy/Girl who writes this...

"I'm a 1L, and it's no exaggeration to say that Professor Coughlin's clear and forthright methodology has taught me how to approach all law school classes. The proverbial lightbulb went off for me in her class: how to read cases, find the holding, apply the tests and question the boundaries of each decision. She effectively helps to illumine what is most important and enduring; she also helps to expose areas of a decision that the Court might have overstated in importance. She is effective at cross-germinating cases, reconciling conflicts between differing holdings and methodologies, exposing gaps in the logic and (especially) reconciling the theoretical underpinnings of each holding against the way the holding will be applied by police on the ground. This consistent and systematic questioning and reconciliation is rigorous, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding in the end."

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:20 pm

gladiator wrote:Gladiator's 1L Life Lessons #1, "How to Write A Course Review":

Don't be That Guy/Girl who writes this...

"I'm a 1L, and it's no exaggeration to say that Professor Coughlin's clear and forthright methodology has taught me how to approach all law school classes. The proverbial lightbulb went off for me in her class: how to read cases, find the holding, apply the tests and question the boundaries of each decision. She effectively helps to illumine what is most important and enduring; she also helps to expose areas of a decision that the Court might have overstated in importance. She is effective at cross-germinating cases, reconciling conflicts between differing holdings and methodologies, exposing gaps in the logic and (especially) reconciling the theoretical underpinnings of each holding against the way the holding will be applied by police on the ground. This consistent and systematic questioning and reconciliation is rigorous, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding in the end."

Alright, I'll display my ignorance out front: what's a course review?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:26 pm

At the end of the semester, you write reviews for all the classes you take and they post them on LawWeb presumably for future students to read.

(Not something unique to UVA Law, we had them in undergrad....I assume a lot of schools do too?)

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:27 pm

gladiator wrote:At the end of the semester, you write reviews for all the classes you take and they post them on LawWeb presumably for future students to read.

Well, now I want to remember this and write a scathingly trite and full-of-as-many-cliches-as-I-can-manage review for any classes I don't like.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 pm

napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:At the end of the semester, you write reviews for all the classes you take and they post them on LawWeb presumably for future students to read.

Well, now I want to remember this and write a scathingly trite and full of as many cliches I can manage for any classes I don't like.

Just make sure you cross-germinate.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:29 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Well, now I want to remember this and write a scathingly trite and full of as many cliches I can manage for any classes I don't like.

Just make sure you cross-germinate.

I think I'll keep my gametes to myself, thank you very much.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 pm

(Not something unique to UVA Law, we had them in undergrad....I assume a lot of schools do too?)

I had them in undergrad, but they were only seen by the professors and the administration, and ended up in the permanent records of the profs. So no student got to read them.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:32 pm

napolnic wrote:

I had them in undergrad, but they were only seen by the professors and the administration, and ended up in the permanent records of the profs. So no student got to read them.

We had to fill one out on every single class to receive our grades each semester. It was annoying. It was visible to everybody, but I'm not sure how it helped, as most people just flew through them with as little effort as possible.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:07 pm

iceberger wrote:
napolnic wrote:

We had to fill one out on every single class to receive our grades each semester. It was annoying. It was visible to everybody, but I'm not sure how it helped, as most people just flew through them with as little effort as possible.

We did them in undergrad but students didn't get to seem them, that would be awesome. I usually didn't bother with doing more than fill in the multiple choice part unless I really liked/disliked the professor and then I went all out.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Winner winner what's for dinner

Next game Wed. 7 PM EST vs. LSU/Arkansas loser

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:12 pm

For those going the PC route, I found out that dell.com is having daily sales for the next ten days. Today, there's a laptop, but it's only a Pentium. It looks like there's another laptop deal tomorrow, but you can't view the details until tomorrow. Here's the link, if anybody's interested in watching this for the next ten days:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segt ... l=en&s=dhs

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Also, with one of the main perks of the bundle being the extended warranty, I've found a way around that (sort of). Any purchase I make with my credit card automatically doubles the warranty. So, I can find a better deal with a laptop that only has a two-year warranty, which actually ends up being a four-year warranty. Or, if I end up buying the bundle, that's a six-year warranty.

Just a heads up for anybody trying to beat the bundle still. You may want to check with your credit card company to see if your credit card carries this perk. Also, maybe your parents' or significant other's or siblings' or friends' cards.... if you can convince them to help you out. If they get cash back or rewards on their cards, they may be more than willing to buy it for you if you pay it back right away.

asdfsd222

Postby asdfsd222 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Hey there, incoming 1L here.

Does anyone know the policy on breaking a lease at ivy gardens? Is it possible? Concerned that I may get into one of the two schools where I'm waitlisted... I'm guessing I could find someone to sublet to last minute, but does anyone who is living in Ivy know about this?

Also, how are the apartments if you're there already? I never saw the inside of one which is making me nervous. I do want to live within walking distance to the school...

Thanks!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Waiting List News
Updated june 15, 2009

Because we received a sufficient number of second deposits, we do not plan to make any wait-list offers at this time. We will monitor our wait-list needs on a daily basis until orientation on Aug. 17. We will continue to release applicants from our waiting list when it becomes clear that we will be unable to offer them a spot.

Sounds like they overenrolled again. I know at least two spots opened up (someone from TLS who left for Harvard, plus Marcus Epstein), so if they still aren't letting anyone off the waitlist, they must have admitted too many people.
Last edited by Cavalier on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdfsd222

Postby asdfsd222 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Do a lot of schools have this problem? I only hear of it with UVA...lol

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 pm

10,000 UVA posts in the last 2 years don't lie, it's a popular place.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:Do a lot of schools have this problem? I only hear of it with UVA...lol

UVA is the only school that comes to mind, recently. I thought they would have gotten it right this cycle (after overenrolling last time), but with the economy, things must be more unpredictable. I assume that fewer people with scholarship offers are choosing better (well, higher-ranked, since no school is better!) schools with no aid, and perhaps Charlottesville's low COL is a larger factor than usual.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:Do a lot of schools have this problem? I only hear of it with UVA...lol

UVA is the only school that comes to mind, recently. I thought they would have gotten it right this cycle (after overenrolling last time), but with the economy, things must be more unpredictable. I assume that fewer people with scholarship offers are choosing better (well, higher-ranked, since no school is better!) schools with no aid, and perhaps Charlottesville's low COL is a larger factor than usual.

Isn't this the third year of overenrollment? Beh, Trujillo starts to get his footing and then things like the economy happen.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Cavalier wrote:Waiting List News
Updated june 15, 2009

Because we received a sufficient number of second deposits, we do not plan to make any wait-list offers at this time. We will monitor our wait-list needs on a daily basis until orientation on Aug. 17. We will continue to release applicants from our waiting list when it becomes clear that we will be unable to offer them a spot.

Sounds like they overenrolled again. I know at least two spots opened up (someone from TLS who left for Harvard, plus Marcus Epstein), so if they still aren't letting anyone off the waitlist, they must have admitted too many people.

...or they have let some others in and they just aren't on TLS announcing it.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

geoffree wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Waiting List News
Updated june 15, 2009

...or they have let some others in and they just aren't on TLS announcing it.

There are three on LSN who are waitlisted/accepted. But that happened back in late February and early March.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”