UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
geoffree

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:07 pm

napolnic wrote:
geoffree wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:The new 13" Pro has a higher quality display and a 7-hour lithium-polymer battery that's supposed to last 5 years instead of the normal 2-3.

"supposed" is key there, I'll be interested to see real world results. I've also heard that it is non user-replaceable - and while I know the plural of anecdote is not statistic, I've had two batteries go bad on my macbook and I'd be skeptical about a non-user-changeable battery.

Uh-oh, you've gotten thesealocust started.

Shhh! We were all going to let it slide because limegreen should be reporting on Charlottesville and not debating about computers.

You're right. Also, I have a request for limegreen. Could you stop by the bowling alley and the skate rink to see what pinball machines they have? I really need to know this.

Did you know that the #10th best (actually, now he is 16th) pinball player in the U.S. - Chris Newson - resides in Charlottesville? http://www.pinballrankings.com/country.php
John Grisham is another celebrity that lives there.

And Napolnic, what in the world is that in your avatar?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 pm

geoffree wrote:
You're right. Also, I have a request for limegreen. Could you stop by the bowling alley and the skate rink to see what pinball machines they have? I really need to know this.

Did you know that the #10th best (actually, now he is 16th) pinball player in the U.S. - Chris Newson - resides in Charlottesville? http://www.pinballrankings.com/country.php

It's a close up of the sculpture "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space" by Umberto Boccioni.

How do they rank pinball players? Do they have tournaments? I guess it's not really that far out there, more palatable than an eating contest...

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:26 pm

napolnic wrote:
geoffree wrote:

It's a close up of the sculpture "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space" by Umberto Boccioni.

How do they rank pinball players? Do they have tournaments? I guess it's not really that far out there, more palatable than an eating contest...

Yes, they have tournaments. I don't think it's far out at all. It takes a unique skill set to be a pinball wizard. I'm not a pinball wizard but I think it's great live action fun, so much better than lifeless video games.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:For those of you who like Trader Joe's: Trader Joe’s making plans for county site (on U.S. 29, between Hydraulic Road and Greenbrier Road), --LinkRemoved--

Yup, I heard about that and am very excited.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:42 pm

geoffree wrote:Yes, they have tournaments. I don't think it's far out at all. It takes a unique skill set to be a pinball wizard. I'm not a pinball wizard but I think it's great live action fun, so much better than lifeless video games.

I'm guessing you don't like Space Cadet?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:48 pm

napolnic wrote:
geoffree wrote:Yes, they have tournaments. I don't think it's far out at all. It takes a unique skill set to be a pinball wizard. I'm not a pinball wizard but I think it's great live action fun, so much better than lifeless video games.

I'm guessing you don't like Space Cadet?

heheh, I used to. For computerized pinball games, "pro pinball" series are the only ones that have the physics right... Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey are my faves, but they still don't hold a candle to the real thing.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:00 pm

iceberger wrote:
napolnic wrote:Hey, Limegreen, any more comments on Charlottesville? More impressions? (it's Friday night, and I need to get an injection of excitement about the next month.)

+1

Sorry everyone, I just saw this, I haven't been checking as often as usual so I'm trying to catch up on all the pages.

I've been here almost two weeks (aside for going home for a few days for something), and all we have really done is go shopping for apartment essentials (towels, furniture, etc.), eat out x 1000000, and explore a little bit.

Shopping- For all the girls (and some of the guys!), the shopping here isn't spectacular but it is pretty good. There are lots of little boutiques all over town that carry all kinds of cool lines and the mall is okay. There is a Target, a Wal-Mart, and all those kinds of places as well. There are lots of random furniture stores but they are either really expensive or really bad. We ended up getting most of the stuff we needed at Ikea (2 hour drive to Woodbridge) or Richmond (1 hour drive to Short Pump).

Food- There are so many really great restaurants here. Everyone has already said that, but now I believe them. I think we have been to Chipotle probably 6 or 7 times and Marco and Luca's 3 or 4. We are also big fans of Mellow Mushroom and Christian's. We've been a bunch of other places too but I can't remember them right now so I'm just mentioning the big ones that we've visited multiple times. And I have to add that everything is really cheap, which is awesome and explains why we haven't gone grocery shopping yet. And oh, before I forget, you have to go to Splendora on the downtown mall. It is a gelato place (I didn't even know what gelato was before I came here), but it is amazingly delicious.

Things to do- So far I have done the usual things you would expect. The Downtown Mall is cool, and the Corner is nice too. We have been to Waynesboro twice because they have a better Target and Wal-Mart and we were stocking up on essentials. We are planning on doing the Skyline Drive thing one day soon and we also are going to do the walk around campus thing but the weather hasn't been cooperating.

The only other thing I can think of to mention right now is that the weather here is kind of weird. It will be completely sunny and clear and then out of nowhere a giant red blip comes up on the radar and you get quarter sized hail and gusts to 60mph and crazy lightning and then an hour later it's back to sunny. It seems like almost everyday since I've been here some variation of this has happened. I guess it's because it's early summer or something, but it's definitely different.

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them, it will probably just take a day or two because I haven't had much time to get on the computer with all the moving/organizing/etc.

ETA: Geoffree, where is the skating rink? I think I saw one of the bowling alleys the other day, but which one are you talking about?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:06 pm

That's definitely summer weather. It doesn't rain much here during the school year, though this past spring was more rainy than usual. Unfortunately there's been a thunderstorm pretty much every day in June; apparently Charlottesville is in Florida.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Just paid my second deposit (finally!!!) woohoo!

YourOwnWorld

Postby YourOwnWorld » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey everybody, I've been lurking for a while and now I've finally found a reason to register.

I moved to Charlottesville a few weeks ago, and one of the first places I visited was the Batesville Store. The lunch I had there was great, but hey, it's just one lunch. Tonight I went back for dinner, and I can confirm that place is fantastic. It's maybe a 20-25 minute drive from the law school to get there, but I find it relaxing. The food is tasty and the ingredients are fresh, and there's local beer and wine to go along with your meal. The live music, when they have it, is good. The service is friendly and well organized, and it lacks the vaguely awkward formality of most businesses. Being there makes me happy, and I'll go there with anyone who wants to visit. Here's where I found out about it: --LinkRemoved--

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:09 pm

limegreen wrote:
iceberger wrote:
napolnic wrote:Hey, Limegreen, any more comments on Charlottesville? More impressions? (it's Friday night, and I need to get an injection of excitement about the next month.)

+1

ETA: Geoffree, where is the skating rink? I think I saw one of the bowling alleys the other day, but which one are you talking about?

Hi limegreen, thanks for looking out. The bowling alley is the only one in Charlottesville and pretty easy to find. It's called AMF Kegler's lanes and it's on 29 (2000 Seminole Trail). Charlottesville Ice Park is on McIntire Road... if you want to check the ice park out the directions are here: --LinkRemoved--

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:20 pm

YourOwnWorld wrote:http://cvillain.com/2009/05/26/batesville-store-review/

coal burnin' stove no natural gas if that ain't country I'll kiss your ass :P

welcome Y.O.W.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:01 pm

geoffree wrote:
limegreen wrote:
iceberger wrote:

+1

Hi limegreen, thanks for looking out. The bowling alley is the only one in Charlottesville and pretty easy to find. It's called AMF Kegler's lanes and it's on 29 (2000 Seminole Trail). Charlottesville Ice Park is on McIntire Road... if you want to check the ice park out the directions are here: --LinkRemoved--

Okay, definitely passed that bowling alley the other day, but wasn't sure if there was another one. I had no idea it was an ice skating rink! I used to figure skate back in the day, I will try to check that place out this week. I haven't been but a handful of times in the last ten years so it won't be pretty but it still sounds fun. What should I look for on the arcade games if I happen to visit either of these places in the near future?

applepie

Postby applepie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 pm

gladiator wrote:That's definitely summer weather. It doesn't rain much here during the school year, though this past spring was more rainy than usual. Unfortunately there's been a thunderstorm pretty much every day in June; apparently Charlottesville is in Florida.

Florida...ugh the weather has been horrendous down here lately..but hail is rare so limegreen scared me with that one!

Today started out so hot my a/c could not even keep me from sweating (nearly to death) in my car and then in about 20 mins a huge thunderstorm rolled through and torrential downpour ensued for about 2 hours.

Anyway onto the important stuff...my cable is out and my complex's gate is broken so i cant/am afraid to leave again for a bar...is the UVA-LSU game over yet????

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:34 pm

naw watchin it now, UVA-5 LSU-6 bottom 8th, espn

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:35 pm

s the UVA-LSU game over yet????

LSU 6, UVA 5, bottom 8th

And then there's that run the umpire cost us early in the game looming overhead.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 pm

fuck you LSU...

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:40 pm

rdt854 wrote:fuck you LSU...

i think an obligatory LSU corndog post is appropriate at this point...

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:42 pm

I like this more

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:44 pm

rdt854 wrote:I like this more

if there's any solace in this, just be glad their fans aren't on UVA campus at the moment

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Ha

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:50 pm

At least we lost by 4. Losing by 1 given that dumbass ump would've been brutal.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:49 pm

It's hopeless...every time I think I will take the time to catch up on TLS, you people have gone and messaged 10 more pages! It looks like all I've missed is a mindless discussion between a gunner/troll about what can be categorized as a "bump" versus an assault and perhaps the iphone and new mac.

Here is my question/thoughts about buying a new mac from apple: I'm trying to decide whether to buy the mac bundle from UVA or purchase my own mac next year; has anyone considered that even if you buy apple care for 3 years the closest apple store is in Richmond? This concerns me only because I know that if I don't buy my computer from UVA my current (or future one) will die during exams week and I won't have a computer...thoughts? Is this a serious concern or did I somehow overlook a new apple store coming to Charlottesville?

If this has already been discussed, ignore me since I have fallen behind on the board...damn summer and the good weather that keeps me outdoors!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”