UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 pm

gladiator wrote:
napolnic wrote:
gladiator wrote:P.S. Check your UVA email.

All of you should probably become acquainted with Gchat (and Gmail); Gchat will be your new best friend when school starts.

...but I don't know anyone else's email/I don't actually use my UVA account as my primary, it's all forwarded to my main account.


I would use a Gmail account or the UVA account at least when school starts. It makes talking to people a lot easier. It spread pretty quickly through the 1L class at the beginning of last year. Now it might not be that useful since you don't know people's names but when school starts you can, at a minimum, look people up in the directory to get their email and invite them to chat.

I mean, it's still gmail. So I still have chat. I just have something more straight forward than the random letter assignments and an ending easier than email.virginia.edu

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm

showNprove wrote:
gladiator wrote:P.S. Check your UVA email.

All of you should probably become acquainted with Gchat (and Gmail); Gchat will be your new best friend when school starts.

I don't have an e-mail?


I meant the email page, should have a chat invite. Did you set up your Gchat yet?

I mean, it's still gmail. So I still have chat. I just have something more straight forward than the random letter assignments and an ending easier than email.virginia.edu


That'll work.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 am

I hate comcast ... they absolutely suck. It took them 5 months to fix the main lines outside of my house this year. Squirrels chewed through the rubber coating and water got in causing my HD to cut out half way through football games and making my internet signal go in and out and they only gave me a discount on the bill twice. Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week. To answer someones question from before, they do offer cable/internet bundles on occasion. Thats what I had all last year. I think for digital cable, HD, and internet it ran about $72 for the first six months and then was like $102 the last 6 months.

User avatar
extragnarls
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby extragnarls » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 am

a.williams wrote:I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week.



Me. I'm verry excited. But sorry to hear about your cable; those are some obnoxious squirrels.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:10 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crazyinalabama
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 am

So I have spent the past week trying to catch up on this thread during my lunch break - I can never miss a week of TLS again! I'm still not completely caught up, however I have a financial aid question.

I chose Discover as my lender, have filled out all the information and forwarded it on to the financial aid office. The financial aid office wrote back saying everything looked good but wrote, "I suspect, however, that Discover is not one of the lender choices so we will have to process your acceptance for you. We will make sure that happens as soon as we are able to do that." Ummmm, I thought I distinctly remember Discover being one of the lender choices and that I marked that box on SIS. Now I can't find the link on SIS to view the lenders again. Clearly this isn't the end of the world because during the counseling thing it said you could choose any lender you wanted. However, I am just curious if anyone else has gotten this response since it seems like the majority of TLS people chose Discover.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

..

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:19 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
geoffree
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 am

crazyinalabama wrote:So I have spent the past week trying to catch up on this thread during my lunch break - I can never miss a week of TLS again!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
geoffree
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 am

showNprove wrote:Has Discover approved the loans on anyone's "My Account" online yet? If so, how long did it take?


I got my first phone call yesterday. Apparently, my application is incomplete.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am

..

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 pm

showNprove wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
a.williams wrote:I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week.



Me. I'm verry excited. But sorry to hear about your cable; those are some obnoxious squirrels.

Are you getting DirecTV? Do you want it for 9 months at a nice discount???


I'd love to but I'm your neighbor. Looks like I will be spending Sundays at the bar for most of the fall, who is joining me?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby 270910 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I've only been barely following along on the fin aid stuff, but I thought it was pretty well confirmed rates would go down in July? If so, are we screwed if we sign up before then?

rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rsr28 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:54 pm

a.williams wrote:I hate comcast ... they absolutely suck. It took them 5 months to fix the main lines outside of my house this year. Squirrels chewed through the rubber coating and water got in causing my HD to cut out half way through football games and making my internet signal go in and out and they only gave me a discount on the bill twice. Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week. To answer someones question from before, they do offer cable/internet bundles on occasion. Thats what I had all last year. I think for digital cable, HD, and internet it ran about $72 for the first six months and then was like $102 the last 6 months.


We do get the Skins every week, but since we're in a secondary Washington market we also get two other games every week as well. Generally we got pretty solid games here.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm

disco_barred wrote:I've only been barely following along on the fin aid stuff, but I thought it was pretty well confirmed rates would go down in July? If so, are we screwed if we sign up before then?

I seem to recall (don't quote me on this) that it was just undergrad Stafford loans that were going down. The other thing I recall that it doesn't matter since the rate is the rate at disbursement, which we can't change anyway.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby 270910 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm

in other news: damnit uva, stop sending me emails that get me all excited 2+ months out.

i just got the link to this: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/slides ... _email.htm and clicked through it, and all my efforts to push 'excitement about law school' to the back of my brain have failed :(

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 pm

rsr28 wrote:
a.williams wrote:I hate comcast ... they absolutely suck. It took them 5 months to fix the main lines outside of my house this year. Squirrels chewed through the rubber coating and water got in causing my HD to cut out half way through football games and making my internet signal go in and out and they only gave me a discount on the bill twice. Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week. To answer someones question from before, they do offer cable/internet bundles on occasion. Thats what I had all last year. I think for digital cable, HD, and internet it ran about $72 for the first six months and then was like $102 the last 6 months.


We do get the Skins every week, but since we're in a secondary Washington market we also get two other games every week as well. Generally we got pretty solid games here.

Sounds good. I'm hoping the AFC game doesn't get blacked out on CBS.

Discover called me again yesterday as well, but I had just completed my GRADplus loan the day before. I informed them that UVA had all my information and that they were going to certify everyones loans at one time and to just chill out. The girl on the phone was nice and understood. Hopefully no more calls for a while.

Anybody read Getting to Maybe and/or Law School Confidential? My copies just came in the mail today and was trying to figure out which to read first.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 pm

a.williams wrote:Anybody read Getting to Maybe and/or Law School Confidential? My copies just came in the mail today and was trying to figure out which to read first.


I read Law School Confidential first and then a few chapters of GTM before I decided that GTM is probably best saved for after school starts, when we actually have substantive knowledge to work with. It's interesting, but I think it will have a lot more "a-ha" effect if we've been reading casebooks for a few weeks and wondering how it all applies to exams.

LSC was really good, and I feel like I know what to expect when school starts. The study tips are pretty basic, but I enjoyed the section on law school etiquette, what's "gunnerish" and what's not, and other stuff like that. As was the case when I read 1L, I ended the book determined to enjoy my life in law school more than the author did.

rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby rsr28 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm

a.williams wrote:
rsr28 wrote:
a.williams wrote:I hate comcast ... they absolutely suck. It took them 5 months to fix the main lines outside of my house this year. Squirrels chewed through the rubber coating and water got in causing my HD to cut out half way through football games and making my internet signal go in and out and they only gave me a discount on the bill twice. Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I was so looking forward to DirectTV and NFL sunday ticket, who wants to watch the Redskins every week. To answer someones question from before, they do offer cable/internet bundles on occasion. Thats what I had all last year. I think for digital cable, HD, and internet it ran about $72 for the first six months and then was like $102 the last 6 months.


We do get the Skins every week, but since we're in a secondary Washington market we also get two other games every week as well. Generally we got pretty solid games here.

Sounds good. I'm hoping the AFC game doesn't get blacked out on CBS.

Discover called me again yesterday as well, but I had just completed my GRADplus loan the day before. I informed them that UVA had all my information and that they were going to certify everyones loans at one time and to just chill out. The girl on the phone was nice and understood. Hopefully no more calls for a while.

Anybody read Getting to Maybe and/or Law School Confidential? My copies just came in the mail today and was trying to figure out which to read first.


As I just said, we get two other afternoon games every week in addition to the Skins games.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:13 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
a.williams wrote:Anybody read Getting to Maybe and/or Law School Confidential? My copies just came in the mail today and was trying to figure out which to read first.


I read Law School Confidential first and then a few chapters of GTM before I decided that GTM is probably best saved for after school starts, when we actually have substantive knowledge to work with. It's interesting, but I think it will have a lot more "a-ha" effect if we've been reading casebooks for a few weeks and wondering how it all applies to exams.

LSC was really good, and I feel like I know what to expect when school starts. The study tips are pretty basic, but I enjoyed the section on law school etiquette, what's "gunnerish" and what's not, and other stuff like that. As was the case when I read 1L, I ended the book determined to enjoy my life in law school more than the author did.


Don't let LSC fool you about your daily schedule. Do not spend all day every day doing only eating, reading, sleeping, going to the gym, and going to class. Law school is hard but if it's taking your soul, you've moved into the overkill range on effort.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:18 pm

gladiator wrote:Don't let LSC fool you about your daily schedule. Do not spend all day every day doing only eating, reading, sleeping, going to the gym, and going to class. Law school is hard but if it's taking your soul, you've moved into the overkill range on effort.


Yeah, this is what I got out of reading LSC and 1L. I like to think I value my happiness way too much to fall into a soul-crushing pattern like that.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:13 pm

I talked to a former US Attorney last night and he told me to make sure I have fun while in law school.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:12 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:18 pm

The mention of BWW reminds me...are metal detectors a common feature in sports bars in Charlottesville? That definitely got a :shock: from me.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest