UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
showNprove

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 pm

limegreen wrote:I'm excited about the new MacBook Pro in 13". I like how they announce this just a few short days after I decided I was going to keep my white MacBook, it is throwing a kink in my plans.

On another note, is anyone else getting the new iPhone? I still have an original 2G phone and since most of the new software upgrades won't work on it and no one is making accessories for it anymore, I figured it was time to upgrade.

:shock: Really? Crap. Now I either have to go with the lower capacity 3G or shell out extra bucks for the 3Gs... At least my contract will be up and I can get the discounted rate. Now if only AT&T will make up more nuanced (and cheaper) plans.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:03 pm

limegreen wrote:I'm excited about the new MacBook Pro in 13". I like how they announce this just a few short days after I decided I was going to keep my white MacBook, it is throwing a kink in my plans.

On another note, is anyone else getting the new iPhone? I still have an original 2G phone and since most of the new software upgrades won't work on it and no one is making accessories for it anymore, I figured it was time to upgrade.

I just got the 3G as a gift. Will the new software upgrades work on that?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:

Where'd the avatar go, JS? Not that I was a fan of the latest one. I suggest a return to an 'It's Always Sunny' theme.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 pm

napolnic wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Where'd the avatar go, JS? Not that I was a fan of the latest one. I suggest a return to an 'It's Always Sunny' theme.

Your suggestion gets a thumbs up from the guys.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Do you know for sure that the new software upgrades wont work on your 2G? I had heard that it will work, partially. Like the MMS and stereo bluetooth wont function, but the key stuff will work (sounds like ull still be able to get landscape texting!!!). The old 3G's are selling from AT&T for like 99$ and the only difference is that the new ones happen to be a little bit faster....same case design. It does have a compass and slightly better camera (one mp more) for those who care. So some questions are....can u deal with still not having mms? is the price difference in the 3G really worth the "increase" in features?

anybody else feel free to correct me....

also...i told off discover today! and they noted on my file that UVA will not be processing loans until early July (target time), but said that the calls are automatic....btw i wanted to kill the lady i spoke to...she went on and on and on about how they'd rather be annoying than incompetent and i was politely trying to end the conversation like 20 times. she ended up telling me that I would do very well in law school though lol! Thank you random person for illegitimate confidence boost!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Here's the article about the 2G and 3G phones running on 3.0 software, I don't know how accurate it is.

--LinkRemoved--

There are a variety of reasons I decided to upgrade, but the biggest ones are MMS and the compass/GPS stuff. The other factor for me is that accessories are getting really hard to find for the 2G and I want another incase slider in a cool color.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:29 pm

I got my first automated phone call from Discover today. I was feeling so left out, I'm glad to finally be included. :P

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 pm

got my first discover call today as well. although, it was a real person on the other line and not automated. The guy made me feel like they were just sitting on pins and needles waiting for UVA to send them stuff

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 pm

applepie wrote:also...i told off discover today! and they noted on my file that UVA will not be processing loans until early July (target time), but said that the calls are automatic....btw i wanted to kill the lady i spoke to...she went on and on and on about how they'd rather be annoying than incompetent and i was politely trying to end the conversation like 20 times. she ended up telling me that I would do very well in law school though lol! Thank you random person for illegitimate confidence boost!

I wonder if you talked to the same woman that I did today. She actually called me to ask me some questions. She was really nice and well-meaning, but rambled on forever. And it wasn't a typical nice and fast customer rep ramble like someone reading fine print at the end of a commercial, it was a brutally slow ramble with lots of pauses.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
applepie wrote:also...i told off discover today! and they noted on my file that UVA will not be processing loans until early July (target time), but said that the calls are automatic....btw i wanted to kill the lady i spoke to...she went on and on and on about how they'd rather be annoying than incompetent and i was politely trying to end the conversation like 20 times. she ended up telling me that I would do very well in law school though lol! Thank you random person for illegitimate confidence boost!

I wonder if you talked to the same woman that I did today. She actually called me to ask me some questions. She was really nice and well-meaning, but rambled on forever. And it wasn't a typical nice and fast customer rep ramble like someone reading fine print at the end of a commercial, it was a brutally slow ramble with lots of pauses.

yes that sounds like her....i was asking myself who could actually enjoy their telemarketer-type job so much...obviously this women

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm

applepie wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:

yes that sounds like her....i was asking myself who could actually enjoy their telemarketer-type job so much...obviously this women

It must be her first week. Give her time to become miserable.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
applepie wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:

It must be her first week. Give her time to become miserable.

i actually had a very weird phone day today....discover, dominion power, comcast, continental, and my vets office were all incredibly nice to me

i feel like the apocalypse is approaching

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Here's a question for anyone who's talked to comcast already: do they do some sort of deal/bundle with just cable and internet? I wasn't looking to get a landline, but I have a feeling that they are really going to try and get me to buy one by not having any deals for just cable and internet.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:56 pm

napolnic wrote:Here's a question for anyone who's talked to comcast already: do they do some sort of deal/bundle with just cable and internet? I wasn't looking to get a landline, but I have a feeling that they are really going to try and get me to buy one by not having any deals for just cable and internet.

the website says to call 1-800-266-2278 for info on bundles for the 22901 zip. I called and got 80 channels for 29.99 a month and the box for 3.65 (not a promo rate) and the crap internet (seriously 6 mbps...stone ages) for 24.99 (also not a promo rate). Later when I activated my electricity they tried to sell me internet and cable as well but the prices/packages were nothing like the nice/flirtatious guy gave me over the phone.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Might be too late but I'd recommend not calling Comcast until you arrive. Apparently about half of Charlottesville has free cable because Comcast is really stupid and doesn't turn it off. So you might arrive and find you have free cable.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

showNprove wrote:I anybody else going to have DIRECTV?

not when your apartment charges a couple hundred dollars for the right to put up a dish....may i come visit yours?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
You can also schedule a power turn-on through Dominion Virginia's website.

I'm also hoping the free Internet advertised at my apartment complex actually works (well). I noticed no mention of Internet service was included in my lease and my old apartment did that (no mention on the lease) and the connection barely worked (300 people on one T1 line, completely down about 1/2 the time, plus they blocked all streaming A/V and download of .exe and .mp3 files). I've budgeted a max of $60 a month to get it off of Comcast (it looks like it'll be $40-$50 a month after the promo period), but it'd be nice/cheaper if the free Internet works fine.

Does anybody know what the average electricity bill for a one-bedroom apartment is in Charlottesville? Their kWh rate is cheaper than Nashville, TN's if I recall, but I only spent about $35 to $45 during non-summer months ($70-ish for summer months) on my Nashville electric bill.

that's so cheap :shock: i'm hitting about 200 a month in the summer for my poorly insulated 2 bedroom here

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm

iceberger wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

I'm also hoping the free Internet advertised at my apartment complex actually works (well). I noticed no mention of Internet service was included in my lease and my old apartment did that (no mention on the lease) and the connection barely worked (300 people on one T1 line, completely down about 1/2 the time, plus they blocked all streaming A/V and download of .exe and .mp3 files). I've budgeted a max of $60 a month to get it off of Comcast (it looks like it'll be $40-$50 a month after the promo period), but it'd be nice/cheaper if the free Internet works fine.

Does anybody know what the average electricity bill for a one-bedroom apartment is in Charlottesville? Their kWh rate is cheaper than Nashville, TN's if I recall, but I only spent about $35 to $45 during non-summer months ($70-ish for summer months) on my Nashville electric bill.

that's so cheap :shock: i'm hitting about 200 a month in the summer for my poorly insulated 2 bedroom here

Just for some reference, are you, in fact, an iceberg?

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm

iceberger wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

ya my three bedroom house hit 250 last august....im dreading next months bill

we are nazis too... air at 78, no dishwasher, etc, but the fact that i can see the sunlight through the front door and that our ac is probably 15 years old gets things up there

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm

napolnic wrote:
iceberger wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

yes i am, it was actually a difficult decision not to attend cornell

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:51 pm

iceberger wrote:
napolnic wrote:
iceberger wrote:

yes i am, it was actually a difficult decision not to attend cornell

We're glad you decided to drift south.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”