showNprove wrote:How is everybody? It's been awhile. I've been avoiding this thread so I wouldn't have to think about loans.
Well, I just finished installment 1 of 3 in mortgaging my life against my education, and I have a few questions:
- In the loan counseling for the GradPLUS, it said that repayment begins at the end of the disbursement, but that I may qualify for an in-school deferment. Is that something we have to apply for?
- When you click on loan counseling, does/did it not immediately show GradPLUS even though both Stafford loans were up and listed as incomplete?
- How long did it take before the counseling was changed to complete?
I think that's all...
I did most of mine last week and I think I can answer your questions:
1. I don't think you have to apply for an in-school deferment. Your name actually goes into a large database as in-school, which your lender will see. UVA will notify them when you graduate or leave school (hoping for the former). Your lender should send you paper work about your loans when this happens.
2. My link from the SIS page did not work and still doesn't bring me to the actual counseling, just the web page. I had to manually get to the GRADplus counseling and the Stafford counseling.
3. I checked SIS within 24 hours of completing my loans/counseling and nothing had changed. If I remember correctly, I applied for the loans and did the counseling on Thursday. I checked back today and the link to check if my status had changed to complete was no longer an option and Discover hasn't called me in a couple days, so I believe everything is complete.
Hope this helps