UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
napolnic

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Sun May 31, 2009 10:15 pm

limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:No one's a fan of the messenger bag?

I'm not a fan of the "murse" (man purse for those not in the know). I think almost all messenger bags fall into this category, but I guess there are a very small percentage of guys that can pull them off.

Nothing like a woman to prescribe when I can't wear a nice, utile bag. A man's gotta keep his shit together! You know, this is why we need a degree for men's studies. :wink:

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sun May 31, 2009 10:23 pm

What's going on in here??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sun May 31, 2009 10:31 pm

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:

I'm not a fan of the "murse" (man purse for those not in the know). I think almost all messenger bags fall into this category, but I guess there are a very small percentage of guys that can pull them off.

Nothing like a woman to prescribe when I can't wear a nice, utile bag. A man's gotta keep his shit together! You know, this is why we need a degree for men's studies. :wink:

here's a good thread from a few weeks ago on bags http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72541

kgustao

Postby kgustao » Sun May 31, 2009 11:16 pm

How do we know flame is flame? He encourages us to attend higher ranked schools and then later encourages us to attend lower ranked schools with $$$. So apparently MVPB will get fucked by the economy but everyone else is okay? That'd be some ace logic.

Not a troll, not flame. As a UVA student, I'm just urging you not to drink the UVA Kool-Aid like I did (Softball and Beer r00Lzzz). UVA, ITE, is like Vandy in a normal economy. You need to be in the top 25% to be competitive. If you are enrolling here without a substantial scholarship (in which case the odds of being at the top of the class are stacked against you) and don't have parents willing to bail you out if you don't land a biglaw job next summer, think long and hard about your desire to go into law. You will probably be trolling craigslist for shitlaw jobs along with the vast majority of law grads from TTTs.

Of course everyone else won't be ok. The T3, possibly T4-T6 will be largely immune from ITE. If you have a full ride at a TTT it doesn't matter what you do after LS because you won't have loans.
Last edited by kgustao on Sun May 31, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:21 pm

kgustao wrote:
How do we know flame is flame? He encourages us to attend higher ranked schools and then later encourages us to attend lower ranked schools with $$$. So apparently MVPB will get fucked by the economy but everyone else is okay? That'd be some ace logic.

Not a troll, not flame. As a UVA student, I'm just urging you not to drink the UVA Kool-Aid like I did. UVA, ITE, is like Vandy in a normal economy. You need to be in the top 25% to be competitive. If you are enrolling here without a scholarship and don't have parents willing to bail you out if you don't land a biglaw job next summer, think long and hard about your desire to go into law. You will probably be trolling craigslist for shitlaw jobs along with the vast majority of other law grads from TTTs.

Of course everyone else won't be ok. The T3, possibly T4-T6 will be largely immune from ITE. If you have a full ride at a TTT it doesn't matter what you do after LS because you won't have loans.

Please explain why NYU, a school that historically places a large majority of its graduates in the hardest hit market, will be a much better bet than UVA in the near future.

Also, what compelled you to come to TLS and make these your first few posts? You can't stand happy 1L faces? It's about 1000x more likely you're just a jackass trying to get a rise out of people, and have no association whatsoever with UVA (feel free to disprove this with Facebook). No one can say for sure exactly how bad hiring will be, especially not at certain schools.

And I know people who were nowhere near top half at Vanderbilt and got great jobs in secondary markets in the good economy. This suggests to me that you don't know what you're talking about and are probably a flame.

--ImageRemoved--

kgustao

Postby kgustao » Sun May 31, 2009 11:26 pm

And I know people in the bottom third from Vandy who got great jobs in secondary markets in the good economy. This suggests to me that you don't know what you're talking about and are probably a flame.

I don't doubt this - many have connections. I know people from the bottom third of South Texas College of Law who got great jobs in Dallas. I'm talking about what the reality is for the unconnected or those seeking employment in competitive markets.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:28 pm

kgustao wrote:
And I know people in the bottom third from Vandy who got great jobs in secondary markets in the good economy. This suggests to me that you don't know what you're talking about and are probably a flame.

I don't doubt this - many have connections. I know people from the bottom third of South Texas College of Law who got great jobs in Dallas. I'm talking about what the reality is for the unconnected or those seeking employment in competitive markets.

No connections whatsoever. They were hired through OCI. Again, feel free to prove you actually go to UVA.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun May 31, 2009 11:45 pm

Stop feeding the troll JS.

Anyways... anybody want to give me suggestions of places to stop along I-40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Knoxville, TN? That's where I'll be spending the majority of my road trip to C'ville.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 am

My Pens are down 2-0, theres a troll thats infiltrated our community ... can the night get any worse?

CE2JD wrote:Stop feeding the troll JS.

Anyways... anybody want to give me suggestions of places to stop along I-40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Knoxville, TN? That's where I'll be spending the majority of my road trip to C'ville.

The only place I can think of is St. Louis or Nashville. It seems like a lot of flat, boring driving for that stretch. Have fun though.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am

Troll now proven as troll, so my job is done.

When I was considering driving to VA, Nashville and Dallas looked like the only two interesting stops, but unfortunately it looked difficult to go through both. Enjoy Flagstaff, though. Do you plan on spending any time there?

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:22 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

When I was considering driving to VA, Nashville and Dallas looked like the only two interesting stops, but unfortunately it looked difficult to go through both. Enjoy Flagstaff, though. Do you plan on spending any time there?

the troll conceded?

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 am

Is there any way you will pass near Kansas City? I did that drive over the winter but don't recall what road I took to visit my buddy in Lawrence. But if u can, kansas city is pretty awesome... Good bar scene. Also some friendly advice, if you drive through west VA watch out for the 5-0... I got a 150 dollar ticket for doin 74 in a 65, then got pulled over like an hour later for 67 in a 60 (only warning)... So cops there suck and are everywhere. Good luck dude.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am

I'm not much of an LOL GET WASTED type guy anymore (read: married, old), but thanks for the advice. I've heard from several people that VA laws are ruthless to speeders, so I'll watch out for that. I think the last time I drove through Arizona (when I wasn't on an Indian Reservation) the cops were literally cheering me on to go faster.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:17 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

I have family from very close to Flagstaff, so I'm not planning on spending time IN Flagstaff, but I'm definitely going to stop nearby to say high to my kin.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 am

UVA vanquishes the Anteaters and advances to the Super Regional! :D

2 out of the 3 against Ole Miss/Western Kentucky winner and we're going to Omaha.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:12 am

gladiator wrote:UVA vanquishes the Anteaters and advances to the Super Regional! :D

2 out of the 3 against Ole Miss/Western Kentucky winner and we're going to Omaha.

Ole Miss choked big yesterday against Western Kentucky. They had a 7-1 lead in the 7th dropping 9 runs and letting wk run them over the last two innings.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:15 am

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:30 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

Eh, Dallas is your typical big city. There are some cool things to do, but most of them can be a bit pricey. It is also a jam during rush hour and there is always the idiot who thinks he's in the next fast and furious movie.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 am

YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

There's not terribly much to see in Nashville (unless you're really into music or you want to see the Parthenon replica), and, if possible, you want to try to get through the city during non-rush hours, since traffic can backup a lot during rush hours. TN drivers also think their turn signals on their cars are for decorative purposes only.

I was driving through VA on I-81 (near the TN/NC state line) the other day, and the VA police were out in full force. From what I've heard, going more than 15mph over the speed limit will be a reckless driving charge in VA.

20 mph or more over the speed limit is reckless in VIrginia as well as any speed greater than 80mph

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 am

limegreen wrote:

Don't knock my man purses... I've been using messenger bags for the past 7 years - I don't think I could switch back if I wanted too... right now, I'm a big fan of the Patagonia half-mass bag, as well as the Bailey Works bags...

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 am

limegreen wrote:

murse:

non-murse:

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:59 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
ak9786 wrote:does everyone already have roomates? or does anyone need a roomate?

<---I do. Need a roomate, that is.

I suggest Marcus Epstein.
--LinkRemoved--

I grew up in Alexandria VA, and attended the College of William and Mary where I received a B.A. in History with a focus on American diplomacy in 2006. There I edited the conservative student newspaper, The Remnant. I currently live in McLean, VA. I have been admitted to the University of Virginia School of Law and will begin taking classes in August 2009; at which point I will more or less suspend my political activities.

--LinkRemoved--

:mrgreen:

Our soon-to-be peer will be facing sentencing in July. It looks like he may not be starting classes in August. http://dc.indymedia.org/newswire/displa ... /index.php

FeElMyEiRe

Postby FeElMyEiRe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm

geoffree wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
ak9786 wrote:does everyone already have roomates? or does anyone need a roomate?

--LinkRemoved--

I grew up in Alexandria VA, and attended the College of William and Mary where I received a B.A. in History with a focus on American diplomacy in 2006. There I edited the conservative student newspaper, The Remnant. I currently live in McLean, VA. I have been admitted to the University of Virginia School of Law and will begin taking classes in August 2009; at which point I will more or less suspend my political activities.

--LinkRemoved--

Our soon-to-be peer will be facing sentencing in July. It looks like he may not be starting classes in August. http://dc.indymedia.org/newswire/displa ... /index.php

U must be kidding me...please tell me this is a spoof

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm

geoffree wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

:shock:

Again, though, I'd prefer to see the story from a news source that doesn't feel compelled to call leaders of Vlaams Belang "racist" for being anti-immigration.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm

True that. Must find more credible news source.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”