UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
green

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby green » Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm

geoffree wrote:
green wrote:
a.williams wrote:maybe its just me because I just graduated and I'm unemployed, but I want to be in Charlottesville already. summer is kind of boring when you have absolutely nothing to do and no money. what are people up to this summer?

I'm driving cross country with some of my friends.

Sweet! Where are you going?

Right now, the plan is to drive from New Hampshire to Seattle right after we graduate. We're planning stops in Chicago, Milwaukee, South Dakota (Badlands), and somewhere in Montana on the way out, and then we're staying in Seattle for a little while. I'm not sure what we're doing on the way back. I want to convince my friends to go south a little bit also into California (I'd really like to go to LA...the only times I've been there have been to visit my aunt so I never got to do anything fun), but it's probably not going to happen.

Anybody know something cool to do in Montana? I was thinking of going to Missoula since that's where University of Montana is. I'd really like to see Glacier National Park, but it's a bit out of the way.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Yay Seattle!

(actually, I'm kind of anxious to get out of here)

green

Postby green » Fri May 29, 2009 1:06 am

Cavalier wrote:Yay Seattle!

(actually, I'm kind of anxious to get out of here)

Yeah, Seattle is kind of a random choice, but the Pacific Northwest is the only area of the country I haven't been to, so it should be interesting. What fun stuff should I do when I get there?

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Fri May 29, 2009 9:02 am

my only upcoming vacays are ohio (with the family) and chicago (for the pitchfork festival! anyone else going??). i'm just looking forward to relaxing as much fun as possible for my last "free" summer.

choculamaviva

dr

Postby choculamaviva » Fri May 29, 2009 12:49 pm

erreeee
Last edited by choculamaviva on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri May 29, 2009 1:06 pm

green wrote:Yeah, Seattle is kind of a random choice, but the Pacific Northwest is the only area of the country I haven't been to, so it should be interesting. What fun stuff should I do when I get there?

Honestly, I can't really think of any recommendations. My idea of "fun" involves going hiking or camping somewhere, so I haven't really gotten to know the city that well.

iceberger

Re: UVA Class of 2012--Ivy Gardens roommate?

Postby iceberger » Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 pm

choculamaviva wrote:I'm an older(31) 1L looking for a roommate for the fall, preferably somewhere close like Ivy Gardens.

About me: I'm originally from Illinois, have lived in New York City and Austin, and have two music degrees. In addition to singing and playing the piano, I also like to workout, play tennis, and kayak (I just kayaked all 300 miles of the Grand Canyon last month). I cook frequently, and hope to still have the time to do that while I'm a 1L. I'm a non-smoker, occasional drinker, and not religious. I would like the place to be relatively neat and quiet, but don't want to live with someone who's a neat freak, cause that's not me.

Let me know if any of this sounds promising!

BTW, for the poster that's going to the Pacific Northwest, I would go to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, and Portland. I would also check out the unbelievably beautiful town of Bellingham, WA, about halfway between Seattle and Vancouver. It's wedged between Mt. Baker and the San Juan Islands and is a really cool place.

Tim

+1, kayaking is awesome

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 29, 2009 1:58 pm

More wilderness/hiking talk... please tell me someone else here does not enjoy the great outdoors.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri May 29, 2009 2:11 pm

limegreen wrote:More wilderness/hiking talk... please tell me someone else here does not enjoy the great outdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcz0DYyU2EY

I am what you call indoorsy.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 pm

UVa baseball kicks off the NCAA tournament regionals tonight at 7 PM EST. For those of you in or around Charlottesville, it's on ESPNU and Comcast Channel 37.

As if it didn't suck enough that we won the ACC Championship and didn't get a host spot, we got shipped out to California in a regional with #1 ranked UC Irvine and San Diego State. Tonight we get the pleasure of facing San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg, maybe the best pitching prospect in the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVyw2JlloM

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Fri May 29, 2009 2:46 pm

gladiator wrote:
limegreen wrote:More wilderness/hiking talk... please tell me someone else here does not enjoy the great outdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcz0DYyU2EY

I am what you call indoorsy.

hahaha

"Occasionally at the campsite you'll see a Winnebago. That's kind of cheating, isn't it? 'Oh that's what I forgot- my house.'"

bluehen

Postby bluehen » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

gladiator wrote:UVa baseball kicks off the NCAA tournament regionals tonight at 7 PM EST. For those of you in or around Charlottesville, it's on ESPNU and Comcast Channel 37.

As if it didn't suck enough that we won the ACC Championship and didn't get a host spot, we got shipped out to California in a regional with #1 ranked UC Irvine and San Diego State. Tonight we get the pleasure of facing San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg, the best pitching prospect in the country.

edit for accuracy.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:50 pm

pshh not scared of Strasburg. 97mph fastball? might as well be pitching it underhand

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri May 29, 2009 8:37 pm

rdt854 wrote:pshh not scared of Strasburg. 97mph fastball? might as well be pitching it underhand

I stood up and clapped when I saw your tar. This is what will sustain me through first semester.

Postby 270910 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Feb club will be glorious!

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Fri May 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Can somebody repost the link to the available discounted software through UVA? I wanted to see if I could get Photoshop Elements or something similar without a 30 day trial.
Last edited by CE2JD on Fri May 29, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applepie

Postby applepie » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 pm

soo..i feel like its been forever since ive been on TLS

I'm moving in on July 17!!! SO EXCITED!

Will be needing shopping buddies/guides for apartment decorating..anybody game?

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 pm

napolnic wrote:
rdt854 wrote:pshh not scared of Strasburg. 97mph fastball? might as well be pitching it underhand

I stood up and clapped when I saw your tar. This is what will sustain me through first semester.

Feb club will be bosssss

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat May 30, 2009 1:11 am

bluehen wrote:
gladiator wrote:UVa baseball kicks off the NCAA tournament regionals tonight at 7 PM EST. For those of you in or around Charlottesville, it's on ESPNU and Comcast Channel 37.

As if it didn't suck enough that we won the ACC Championship and didn't get a host spot, we got shipped out to California in a regional with #1 ranked UC Irvine and San Diego State. Tonight we get the pleasure of facing San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg, the best pitching prospect in the country.

edit for accuracy.

Well then, UVA just took down the best pitching prospect in the country! :D

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Sat May 30, 2009 1:13 am

gladiator wrote:
bluehen wrote:

edit for accuracy.

Well then, UVA just took down the best pitching prospect in the country! :D

I saw that at a bar in my undergrad town! woot!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sat May 30, 2009 8:36 am

applepie wrote:soo..i feel like its been forever since ive been on TLS

I'm moving Monday so I can probably help you out. I am ordering most of my stuff online and going to Ikea but I'm still probably going to scope out all the local places. Plus, I never turn down an offer to go shopping!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 am

CE2JD wrote:Can somebody repost the link to the available discounted software through UVA? I wanted to see if I could get Photoshop Elements or something similar without a 30 day trial.

http://itc.virginia.edu/licenses/studentuse.html

Adobe stuff:
http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... ZCBNZWRpYQ

applepie

Postby applepie » Sat May 30, 2009 12:26 pm

limegreen wrote:

I'm moving Monday so I can probably help you out. I am ordering most of my stuff online and going to Ikea but I'm still probably going to scope out all the local places. Plus, I never turn down an offer to go shopping!

Yay!! It is so hard to keep myself from shopping already...but I know I have to wait so that I wont overbuy :)

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm

applepie wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Yay!! It is so hard to keep myself from shopping already...but I know I have to wait so that I wont overbuy :)

I know what you mean, I've been buying a few things here and there but I have a list a mile long of stuff I want to pick up once I get to Cville. It's fun to get new things and decorate!

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat May 30, 2009 3:10 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Can somebody repost the link to the available discounted software through UVA? I wanted to see if I could get Photoshop Elements or something similar without a 30 day trial.

http://itc.virginia.edu/licenses/studentuse.html

Adobe stuff:
http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... ZCBNZWRpYQ

Thanks.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”