UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
limegreen

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

Shaw wrote:I have a question about cell phones- is there any consensus about the best cell phone provider(s) for Charlottesville? I currently don't have a cell phone and I'd like to get one arranged before I arrive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have AT&T and it seems to work fine in Cville, I think Verizon is good too. I wouldn't get any other carrier no matter where I was living because the other ones are kind of crappy.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 26, 2009 9:34 am

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 am

Shaw wrote:I have a question about cell phones- is there any consensus about the best cell phone provider(s) for Charlottesville? I currently don't have a cell phone and I'd like to get one arranged before I arrive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Verizon works fine, but it is on extended network so it drains your batteries faster and sometimes there are problems with sending/receiving data.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue May 26, 2009 11:22 am

This is completely unrelated to law school or UVA, but is Netflix worth it if you only want new movies? I got all the movie channels at my parents this year so I have pretty much seen everything I wanted to see, but it would be nice to get new releases.

I am rather embarrassed that my grandma keeps talking about her netflix and I really have no idea how it works other than getting movies in the mail and then sending them back.

EaglesXLIV

Postby EaglesXLIV » Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 am

YCrevolution wrote:This is kind of random, but:
Does anybody know the nearest Netflix shipping facility (Richmond?) and the turnaround time (assuming they're not throttling your deliveries).

I don't know any specifics, but my friend had Netflix and he seemed to be pretty happy with the service he got.

gladiator wrote:UVA baseball just won the ACC Championship. :D

Sadly despite being in the top 16 and now as ACC Champs, we're not hosting a regional. :(

Yeah, it's such BS. We win the championship for probably the most difficult conference in the nation, we should probably be a #1 seed given our RPI and other factors, and instead we get shipped out 3000 miles away to UC Irvine.

RTF

Postby RTF » Tue May 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this up... again. But, I just got the email from UVa about the computing options. I was almost completely set on shelling out the cash for the MacBook Bundle, primarily because I don't trust Dells and there wasn't another option.

However, now I see we have the option to look at the bundles offered to Undergrads and the other schools and I saw that the Lenovo thinkpad is now an option, not to mention the macbook pros.

I've had a thinkpad for a long time from Undergrad and have really liked it, however this is before Lenovo started making them. Likewise, I was really thinking about buying a MacBook Pro even though it was significantly more expensive.

I know most on this forum are opposed to the Bundles, but do any of you have thoughts on whether I should just go ahead with the Macbook bundle through the Law School, or if I should go after the Lenovo or splurge on a Macbook pro?

Thanks guys.

Postby 270910 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:18 pm

I'd look at this (original price ~$3,000, macbook air competitor): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2289

I'll grant that some may disagree, but I think the bundles are REALLY bad deals considering what you can get out there on your own.

RTF

Postby RTF » Tue May 26, 2009 12:25 pm

I realize the prices for these are inflated. But I would rather pay the extra cash to get the peace of mind.

But does anyone see the value in buying a Macbook v. Macbook Pro v. Lenovo through the school, if you're going to buy it through UVA anyways?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm

disco_barred wrote:I'd look at this (original price ~$3,000, macbook air competitor): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2289

I'll grant that some may disagree, but I think the bundles are REALLY bad deals considering what you can get out there on your own.

I agree that on the face of it, they seem like pretty bad deals. But the support, particularly the ACCIDENTAL coverage on the Dell, is what you're really paying for. That kind of service DOES NOT come standard when you buy a computer from tigerdirect or other retailers. People are paying for peace of mind, not for a computer.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Tue May 26, 2009 1:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Thanks EaglesXLIV.

limegreen wrote:This is completely unrelated to law school or UVA, but is Netflix worth it if you only want new movies? I got all the movie channels at my parents this year so I have pretty much seen everything I wanted to see, but it would be nice to get new releases.

I am rather embarrassed that my grandma keeps talking about her netflix and I really have no idea how it works other than getting movies in the mail and then sending them back.

You can get new releases the day they come out on DVD. The only catch to this is if you watch too many DVDs in Netflix's opinion (as in, you ship the DVDs back the next day, constantly), in which case, they may put you a little lower on the priority list for newly-released, really popular movies (example: it took me two weeks after the release date to finally get Quantum of Solace out of my DVD queue). For the most part though, I've been able to get new releases shipped the day of the release. You can save movies in your queue that have future release dates. Once a release date is set, you can bump it to the top of your queue and it will ship the day of release (and as soon as you've returned the DVDs you have out).

They also have a pretty awesome instant/online movies and tv shows now; it's unlimited viewing except for the one DVD-a-month plan. In addition to a bunch of classic-ish British shows (and hundreds of other shows), they tend to have the last full season of a number of popular tv/cable shows. They also get tv shows on DVD the day of the DVD release.

Other neat features:
-One of the best recommendation algorithms for recommending movies, esp. once you rate about 50 movies.
-A huge collection of DVDs, even pretty obscure and foreign stuff
-Online viewing used to be kind of meh because of a limited library of films/shows, but it's gotten pretty good.
-The cost of monthly subscription is often less than, or only slightly more, than the cost of one movie theater ticket.
-Turnaround time is generally pretty good. Right now, if I ship a DVD back, they receive it the next business day, ship the next DVDs out that same day, and I get them the day after that (two days after I mailed them in).

I sound like a Netflix troll now, but I've had a pretty positive experience with them.

I agree - I absolutely love Netflix. I first fell in love when I had to watch really obscure Shakespeare films for a class last fall, and Netflix has absolutely EVERYTHING. I haven't really used it to watch new movies, but I do know it's the best bargain for video rentals, other than maybe Red Box (except you have like, 30 choices with Red Box). When I go rent a movie at like Blockbuster it costs me like $3.50 or $4.00, but for Netflix I can pay $12 (I think) a month for two at a time. Basically if you rent more than 3 movies a month, Netflix is worth it. Plus the instant streaming is awesome - I just watched two full seasons of 30 Rock on it, and on Sunday afternoons I've been watching random movies on instant streaming. They let you have a two week trial for free, so take advantage of that and see how much you love it.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Tue May 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Was there ever a consensus reached for whether you really need renters insurance (at Ivy Gardens, specifically)?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 pm

RTF

Postby RTF » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm

RTF wrote:I realize the prices for these are inflated. But I would rather pay the extra cash to get the peace of mind.

But does anyone see the value in buying a Macbook v. Macbook Pro v. Lenovo through the school, if you're going to buy it through UVA anyways?

Any thoughts on these computers apart from the bundles?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for the Netflix info, that clears up a lot of things. I think I'll try it once I get to Cville!

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:

I have AT&T and it seems to work fine in Cville, I think Verizon is good too. I wouldn't get any other carrier no matter where I was living because the other ones are kind of crappy.

Does anyone know what service network Tracfone hooks into in C'ville? Depending on where I've been at in the past, it's been Verizon and Alltell (at a time when both were separate).

This is kind of random, but:
Does anybody know the nearest Netflix shipping facility (Richmond?) and the turnaround time (assuming they're not throttling your deliveries).

Tracfone FTW! That's all I use.

I don't know about Netflix, but blockbuster's nearest one to me in NoVa was in Richmond I think.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm

RTF wrote:
RTF wrote:I realize the prices for these are inflated. But I would rather pay the extra cash to get the peace of mind.

Any thoughts on these computers apart from the bundles?

You mean buying these computers through Cavalier Computers? Can you do that and still get the repair/loaner services?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

disco_barred wrote:I'd look at this (original price ~$3,000, macbook air competitor): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2289

I don't think they're bad deals. A macbook on amazon with the same specs is only about 100$ cheaper but doesn't come with stuff like nortons, wireless card, service or loaners.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue May 26, 2009 4:02 pm

laurathenerd wrote:I haven't really used it to watch new movies, but I do know it's the best bargain for video rentals, other than maybe Red Box (except you have like, 30 choices with Red Box). When I go rent a movie at like Blockbuster it costs me like $3.50 or $4.00, but for Netflix I can pay $12 (I think) a month for two at a time. Basically if you rent more than 3 movies a month, Netflix is worth it. Plus the instant streaming is awesome - I just watched two full seasons of 30 Rock on it, and on Sunday afternoons I've been watching random movies on instant streaming. They let you have a two week trial for free, so take advantage of that and see how much you love it.

Blockbuster is as good if not better than Netflix. It's the same price for 2 dvds at a time as Netflix, 13.99. Plus, you get a free in-store rental coupon each month.

LOL okay, so I just signed up for Netflix and I think I'll be much happier than I was with Blockbuster. Many/most of the obscure stuff in my queue at Block is either unavailable or "very long wait". The same films on Netflix are available "now".
Last edited by geoffree on Tue May 26, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue May 26, 2009 4:05 pm

geoffree wrote:

I don't think they're bad deals. A macbook on amazon with the same specs is only about 100$ cheaper but doesn't come with stuff like nortons, wireless card, service or loaners.

Yeah, I think people may be overstating how "bad" the Cav. Computer deals are. I think they are fair. They're not GOOD deals, but I think if you consider the software licenses, 3-YEAR subscription to anti-virus protection software, and accidental damage coverage, they aren't a complete rip off.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue May 26, 2009 4:06 pm

geoffree wrote:

What kind of laptop doesn't come with a wireless card these days? Also, students get a discount at Apple and around the time school starts usually a free gift so you may want to factor that in.

I'll probably buy direct from Apple, but I don't have any real reason.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue May 26, 2009 4:13 pm

BTW, is anyone else being hounded by Discover (or another lender) about UVA certifying the amount? They called me once and told me that they are waiting on the school would I please tell them to hurry up and now I just got an email saying I need to tell my school that they are my lender and they are still waiting on UVA.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue May 26, 2009 4:29 pm

limegreen wrote:BTW, is anyone else being hounded by Discover (or another lender) about UVA certifying the amount? They called me once and told me that they are waiting on the school would I please tell them to hurry up and now I just got an email saying I need to tell my school that they are my lender and they are still waiting on UVA.

Could it be that they want you to take the money as soon as possible so that you can start racking up interest?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue May 26, 2009 4:32 pm

CE2JD wrote:
geoffree wrote:

Yeah, I think people may be overstating how "bad" the Cav. Computer deals are. I think they are fair. They're not GOOD deals, but I think if you consider the software licenses, 3-YEAR subscription to anti-virus protection software, and accidental damage coverage, they aren't a complete rip off.

I'm pretty sure that Norton is available to everyone, even those without a UVA bundle.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”