UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CE2JD

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Sun May 24, 2009 3:10 am

Does anyone know if you can claim in-state residency after your first year of law school if your wife gets Virginia residency and you file tax returns jointly?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun May 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Does anyone know if you can claim in-state residency after your first year of law school if your wife gets Virginia residency and you file tax returns jointly?

I doubt it. They made it pretty clear that once you start out of state, there's no going back. Might be an exception for a married couple though...

I recall reading somewhere that the rules were different if you are married, but don't hold me to it. I think you're at least in a better situation than someone out of state that is not married to someone with residency, but I could be wrong.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun May 24, 2009 4:29 pm

UVA baseball just won the ACC Championship. :D

Sadly despite being in the top 16 and now as ACC Champs, we're not hosting a regional. :(

green

Postby green » Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 pm

I think I already asked this earlier and didn't really get a response, but where do a lot of people get furniture for their apartments at UVA?

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Sun May 24, 2009 10:17 pm

green wrote:I think I already asked this earlier and didn't really get a response, but where do a lot of people get furniture for their apartments at UVA?

Well, my roommate and I are basically just scrounging around. We'll probably have to buy a couple of things at Target or Ikea. I figure we don't have to have a pretty apartment, it just has to be functional. I might hit up a couple yard sales this summer, Craigslist...yeah. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. There was a discussion about this a few pages back, and the consensus was NOT to rent furniture.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Anyone else plan on going car-less for 1L?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon May 25, 2009 12:36 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone else plan on going car-less for 1L?

My wife and I will only have 1 car between us.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon May 25, 2009 1:43 am

I won't have one. I'm quite close to the law school and the shopping area, so a car seems like an unnecessary expense.

green

Postby green » Mon May 25, 2009 1:52 am

I'm bringing mine...driving seems essential to get from the law school/Ivy to downtown.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon May 25, 2009 2:11 am

I will also have a car...if I can learn to drive a stick shift, or if I can convince my dad to let me drive his car while he's in the Middle East. I know it's a crying shame that I'm a college graduate but I can't drive a stick. My goal for the summer is to try and learn, but I'm not very coordinated (despite the fact that I might seem athletic, I'm really not), and I'm not sure how I'll handle the hills of Cville. You guys should all be either hoping I fail miserably at it and leave the car home, or I get to be an All-Star at stick shift driving, because otherwise I'll be rolling backwards down the hills and killing pedestrians. At least I'll have access to good legal representation, right?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 25, 2009 2:36 am

laurathenerd wrote:I will also have a car...if I can learn to drive a stick shift, or if I can convince my dad to let me drive his car while he's in the Middle East. I know it's a crying shame that I'm a college graduate but I can't drive a stick. My goal for the summer is to try and learn, but I'm not very coordinated (despite the fact that I might seem athletic, I'm really not), and I'm not sure how I'll handle the hills of Cville. You guys should all be either hoping I fail miserably at it and leave the car home, or I get to be an All-Star at stick shift driving, because otherwise I'll be rolling backwards down the hills and killing pedestrians. At least I'll have access to good legal representation, right?

Is it? In New York when you mention that you can drive at all, people look at you like you said you've learned to type with your feet.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 am

laurathenerd wrote:I will also have a car...if I can learn to drive a stick shift, or if I can convince my dad to let me drive his car while he's in the Middle East. I know it's a crying shame that I'm a college graduate but I can't drive a stick. My goal for the summer is to try and learn, but I'm not very coordinated (despite the fact that I might seem athletic, I'm really not), and I'm not sure how I'll handle the hills of Cville. You guys should all be either hoping I fail miserably at it and leave the car home, or I get to be an All-Star at stick shift driving, because otherwise I'll be rolling backwards down the hills and killing pedestrians. At least I'll have access to good legal representation, right?

If you're not completely comfortable with hill starts, you can pull the parking brake, then as you're putting the car in gear, right before it engages, you let the hand brake off. This little trick lets you pull out on hills like a pro, even when you're still learning.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon May 25, 2009 9:51 am

As long as you live near school, a car is unnecessary.*

*Assuming you can make friends to give you the occasional ride

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 25, 2009 10:24 am

laurathenerd wrote:
green wrote:I think I already asked this earlier and didn't really get a response, but where do a lot of people get furniture for their apartments at UVA?

Well, my roommate and I are basically just scrounging around. We'll probably have to buy a couple of things at Target or Ikea. I figure we don't have to have a pretty apartment, it just has to be functional. I might hit up a couple yard sales this summer, Craigslist...yeah. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. There was a discussion about this a few pages back, and the consensus was NOT to rent furniture.

I am bringing a bedroom set and dining room stuff with me, but I need all new for my living room because most of my stuff from college has seen better days. I ordered a couch from Pottery Barn that's being delivered right after I move in and we are planning on hitting up Ikea (about 2 hours from Cville) to fill in the rest of the rooms. I might also order a few things from Crate and Barrel. A lot of those online furniture stores will deliver to Cville and they sometimes you can catch some great deals if you check enough.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 pm

gladiator wrote:

As long as you live near school, a car is unnecessary.*

*Assuming you can make friends to give you the occasional ride

Now THAT is small print.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm

No, this is small print.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 25, 2009 3:01 pm

For those of you that live at the Woodlands, what is the deal on the internet? Is it included and all wifi or do I need to bring a router to hook up my apartment? Is it going to work with my PS3?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 25, 2009 3:29 pm

limegreen wrote:For those of you that live at the Woodlands, what is the deal on the internet? Is it included and all wifi or do I need to bring a router to hook up my apartment? Is it going to work with my PS3?

+1, good question. I'll be quite upset if it's just wifi. i would hope we could have a router in each room or something.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 25, 2009 3:30 pm

iceberger wrote:
limegreen wrote:For those of you that live at the Woodlands, what is the deal on the internet? Is it included and all wifi or do I need to bring a router to hook up my apartment? Is it going to work with my PS3?

+1, good question. I'll be quite upset if it's just wifi. i would hope we could have a router in each room or something.

Yea, me too.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:00 pm

They provide you with one cable modem, which you are free to hookup to a router if you like.

Why on earth would you want a router in each room?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 pm

rsr28 wrote:

They provide you with one cable modem, which you are free to hookup to a router if you like.

Awesome, good to know. I just want one router, I don't know about iceberger.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 25, 2009 5:21 pm

rsr28 wrote:

Haha, I think I meant modem.

Shaw

Postby Shaw » Tue May 26, 2009 7:12 am

Roommates...

I'm sure this is an old topic! BUT I've been out of the country and have basically been in lala land, so I'm a bit behind on the housing search.

Is anyone looking for a female (25) roommate? I like to cook, am relatively neat in communal spaces and like quiet study spaces. I also posted on the UVA facebook group, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add a posting here. Send me a message and we can find a time to talk to see if we'd be compatible roommates.

Thanks!

Shaw

Postby Shaw » Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 am

I have a question about cell phones- is there any consensus about the best cell phone provider(s) for Charlottesville? I currently don't have a cell phone and I'd like to get one arranged before I arrive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”