UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jasofbase2001

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jasofbase2001 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 am

Go to Monticello, spend some time downtown looking at the art galleries, go to some of the area wineries, go to James Madison's old place at Montpelier...

There is plenty to do.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 am

Nicomedes wrote:Here's a random question for all my fellow future UVAers around here. I've only been to Charlottesville 3 times, and they have all been to check out the law school, so I know nothing about the area. Anyway, my girlfriend suggested we go spend memorial day down in charlottesville, since she has never been there either. Only problem I foresee is having a lack of things to do all day other than walk around campus, get something to eat, etc.

So I turn to you - any must-see things down in the Charlottesville area? Fun things to do? Cool places that we should check out? Any suggestions would be awesome - i'm pretty clueless as to the area.

Thanks

I wouldn't spend too much time at the law school and surrounding areas, it's all pretty standard and you'll get to know it intimately in a few months. You should head to the Corner (heart of UVA campus) instead and grab lunch or just walk around and see the stores and the Rotunda. Then you can continue on the same road and visit the downtown mall. They just rebricked the whole walkway and some stores like UO are opening there this weekend so it should be poppin' by Charlottesville standards. Then after that you can continue on the same road until you hit the highway because that's about all you can do here. Unless you feel like visiting Monticello or a winery or going on a hike, all of which are pretty awesome. Don't be tempted to go to "Fashion Square Mall" because it's a shithole. SHITHOLE. If you need directions anywhere PM me for the digits. Won't be in town but know the area pretty well.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 21, 2009 9:25 am

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 am

Nicomedes wrote:Fun things to do? Cool places that we should check out? Any suggestions would be awesome - i'm pretty clueless as to the area.

Thanks

Starhill Brewery in Crozet if it's Saturday.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu May 21, 2009 9:42 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:Has anybody checked out or know anything about the Huntington Village townhomes near Ivy Gardens? I don't think I ever saw them mentioned in housing discussions, but a 3 bdrm 2 1/2 bath there seems like a nice alternative to Ivy.

They're both run by the Ivy Gardens people. Looking at the website, it does appear Huntington telecommunication utilities are at least serviced by Embarq and Comcast and not NTC Communications.

I drove through, it didn't look much different than Ivy except it maybe was in slightly better condition. It seemed really dark though, I don't remember if it was because the buildings were close together or tall or there were lots of trees but I felt secluded or something so I just left.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:53 am

kguilf99 wrote:Studying these:
--LinkRemoved--

I've rode with these guys a few times (maybe a half dozen). There's a definite mix in how strong riders are, but usually there will be at least an "A" and a "C" group. Unfortunately for "B" riders like me that makes things a little bit tough. I recommend starting out with the Sunday rides as they are much shorter than the Saturday ones, and the constant hills here, while not too daunting, definitely require a mental adjustment.

kguilf99

Postby kguilf99 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:22 am

rsr28 wrote:
kguilf99 wrote:Studying these:
--LinkRemoved--

I've rode with these guys a few times (maybe a half dozen). There's a definite mix in how strong riders are, but usually there will be at least an "A" and a "C" group. Unfortunately for "B" riders like me that makes things a little bit tough. I recommend starting out with the Sunday rides as they are much shorter than the Saturday ones, and the constant hills here, while not too daunting, definitely require a mental adjustment.

Thanks for the tip. Did you go to undergrad at UVA? Or are you in ls already?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 pm

So I'm moving in about a week and a half and it seems so surreal.

I went to Fashion Square Mall last week to apply for some part time summer jobs and I have to agree, it is a super dump. What's weird is that there are a few stores that are typically only in more upscale malls (J.CREW, and I forget what else), but then the rest of the mall is crappy.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm

this late in the game and i'm still getting cooley spam in my inbox, blah :?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 21, 2009 2:21 pm

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm

iceberger wrote:this late in the game and i'm still getting cooley spam in my inbox, blah :?

Cooley never showed me love. Southern Illinois, however, will not leave me alone.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:32 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
iceberger wrote:this late in the game and i'm still getting cooley spam in my inbox, blah :?

Cooley never showed me love. Southern Illinois, however, will not leave me alone.

I never heard from either of those schools. But Case Western is still in love with me - still letting me know it's not too late to apply...

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm

jdn012 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

I never heard from either of those schools. But Case Western is still in love with me - still letting me know it's not too late to apply...

I eventually sent them an e-mail asking them not to contact me anymore. JSCASEWESTERNRESERVEUNIVERSITYSCHOOLOFLAW2012 is no more.

I don't really use my UG e-mail account anymore so I don't mind. My UVA account is spam free!

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
jdn012 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

I eventually sent them an e-mail asking them not to contact me anymore. JSCASEWESTERNRESERVEUNIVERSITYSCHOOLOFLAW2012 is no more.

I don't really use my UG e-mail account anymore so I don't mind. My UVA account is spam free!

UVA email, so far, has been great about spam. My undergrad feels like spaming me all day about every little happening or opportunity on campus. Only about 15 days till that account expires though....

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu May 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Hola future UVA'ers. UVA has always been my dream school, so I have come to seek some advice. First, "allow myself to introduce myself", I am an upcoming senior at a medium-sized state school, male, non-URM. My current plan is to take the February 2010 LSAT, graduate in May 2010, work for about a year, and apply the 2011 cycle(ED to UVA).
My first question is: does UVA accept February scores (I looked over the official website but could not find a definitive answer)?

Also, my GPA for my first 48 hours of UG classes was pretty bad(2.75ish), but I decided to rededicate myself to my studies and have made a few honors lists and averaged around a 3.75 since my lackluster start. So, how favorably do you think the UVA admissions committee views a strong upward grade trend?

Finally, I have already completed the Princeton Review LSAT book(although not quite sure how beneficial it may have been), and just ordered the Powerscore Bibles. I will also be ordering the majority of the practice tests. Are there any other books you folks found beneficial for LSAT preparation?

Thanks.

P.S.--I envy all of you who get to attend such a great school with amazing people in a fantastic town(Hopefully, I'll have the same opportunity--<crosses fingers>). I am sure all of you will have a fantastic three years in Charlottesville. Good luck to each of you.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Capitalist wrote:Hola future UVA'ers. UVA has always been my dream school, so I have come to seek some advice. First, "allow myself to introduce myself", I am an upcoming senior at a medium-sized state school, male, non-URM. My current plan is to take the February 2010 LSAT, graduate in May 2010, work for about a year, and apply the 2011 cycle(ED to UVA).
My first question is: does UVA accept February scores (I looked over the official website but could not find a definitive answer)?

Also, my GPA for my first 48 hours of UG classes was pretty bad(2.75ish), but I decided to rededicate myself to my studies and have made a few honors lists and averaged around a 3.75 since my lackluster start. So, how favorably do you think the UVA admissions committee views a strong upward grade trend?

Finally, I have already completed the Princeton Review LSAT book(although not quite sure how beneficial it may have been), and just ordered the Powerscore Bibles. I will also be ordering the majority of the practice tests. Are there any other books you folks found beneficial for LSAT preparation?

Thanks.

P.S.--I envy all of you who get to attend such a great school with amazing people in a fantastic town(Hopefully, I'll have the same opportunity--<crosses fingers>). I am sure all of you will have a fantastic three years in Charlottesville. Good luck to each of you.

Addressing your first question: yes, every school accepts the February LSAT if your'e taking it 7 months before you apply and not mid-cycle. Taking it in Feb will alliow you two more tries in June and October, if you need them, and you'll still be able to meet the Early Decision deadline if that's how you decide to apply to UVA.

I had an upward trend (starting well below 3.0 and finishing my last 2 years 3.9+). Not sure if it helped me. Since you plan on applying ED, just try to get your GPA as close to UVA's median as possible.

For the LSAT, PowerScore products are the way to go for most people. I studed with the Bibles and improved quickly. I choked on test day but still did well enough to get in UVA ED.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Thu May 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Capitalist wrote:Hola future UVA'ers. UVA has always been my dream school, so I have come to seek some advice. First, "allow myself to introduce myself", I am an upcoming senior at a medium-sized state school, male, non-URM. My current plan is to take the February 2010 LSAT, graduate in May 2010, work for about a year, and apply the 2011 cycle(ED to UVA).

Thanks.

My question is this: do you live in Virginia? If you don't and you're going to be working for a year, you might thinking about living in VA, because it gives you a little admissions boost (or a large admissions boost...) because a certain percentage of the incoming class has to be from Virginia. If you're set on UVA, and you'll probably have to move somewhere anyway to work for a year, then you might as well move to Virginia. Pretty drastic, I know, and I'm sure you can get in without getting the residency boost, but hey, it's all about maximizing your potential, right? Obviously the key is just to study for the LSAT and get a good score etc, but being from VA will definitely help. Am I crazy? Maybe.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:17 pm

laurathenerd wrote:

Thanks.

My question is this: do you live in Virginia? If you don't and you're going to be working for a year, you might thinking about living in VA, because it gives you a little admissions boost (or a large admissions boost...) because a certain percentage of the incoming class has to be from Virginia. If you're set on UVA, and you'll probably have to move somewhere anyway to work for a year, then you might as well move to Virginia. Pretty drastic, I know, and I'm sure you can get in without getting the residency boost, but hey, it's all about maximizing your potential, right? Obviously the key is just to study for the LSAT and get a good score etc, but being from VA will definitely help. Am I crazy? Maybe.

He'll save $15k in tuition over 3 years that way, too. I wish I'd done this, but I didn't foresee myself getting into UVA.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu May 21, 2009 4:18 pm

How long does it take to establish VA residency for tuition purposes? I thought it was at least two years.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I don't know, but I hear it's really hard. When I applied they still contacted me to get MORE information to prove I was a resident even though myself and my parents have never lived anywhere other than VA. The whole process seems pretty hardcore.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Thu May 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the quick responses and the helpful input. In response to Laurathenerd's question, I am not a VA resident.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 21, 2009 6:55 pm

JSCASEWESTERNRESERVE

Postby JSCASEWESTERNRESERVE » Thu May 21, 2009 7:16 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
jdn012 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

What part of 'always watching' do you not understand?

Postby 270910 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:53 pm

A friend of mine is going to UVA... I'll send him this way
Last edited by 270910 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”