UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
wholegrain

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby wholegrain » Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Is any one getting one of the computer bundles? If so, any reason I shouldn't switch to a Mac? I've been intrigued for a while, but am hesitating in making the switch from PC to Mac. Thoughts?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 pm

Any recommendations for a healthcare plan?

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:If you want that particular model of Mac, and you want a good extended coverage warranty plan, go for it. It's expensive for what it is if you don't want the extra warranty, but if you do it's a little cheaper than putting it all together yourself.

The main reason not to get a bundle is that a $300 netbook or a $750 full sized PC laptop would be just as capable, but there's a lot to say for the mac (and its bundle) if it's what you want. Doesn't matter how much cheaper PCs are if you'd like to use a mac!

Macs aren't cheap, and AppleCare, the 3-year warranty plan, isn't either. But in my experience it's pretty good. I've heard horror stories of others trying to get their machines repaired through Dell, etc. and having to wait weeks for seemingly basic fixes. I had an unusual problem with my previous Powerbook, and although they kept it for almost a month, they gave me a brand new MacBook Pro as a result (for free).

...which is the only reason I have the Pro, as I was going to switch either to a MacBook or an iMac + netbook combo. Are many people doing this latter option? It seems like it'd be the best of both worlds, with the value and function of a desktop and the extreme portability of a netbook, and for roughly the same cost as a laptop. But it would mean taking exams on a netbook, which could be tedious, although I've never used one for any real length of time.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon May 18, 2009 1:58 pm

jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:Is there any particular reason why people are going through the loan process so early? is there some deadline I am blissfully unaware of?

I think there may be a deadline, but I just wanted to get it over with.

I'm too lazy to search the whole thread, but I think I remember someone saying something about June 15th being a preferred date or something...or I could just be confusing that with our second deposit deadline.

Also, does anyone know when we get LawWeb accounts? I was clicking around the UVA website and came across a lot of stuff that was restricted still.

That was me. The Financial Aid Office told me that if you do the loans by mid-June you should be set.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I want a LawWeb account, too.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 pm

So this is going to be my third story like this in the last few months, but here goes anyway.

Yesterday I was in Lowe's, minding my own business looking at some plastic bins, and this random old guy that worked there walks over to me and says "So, are you in high school?", completely out of the blue. I said "ummm..... No, I'm 22". Then he went on about how he's sure I get that a lot and repeating how young I look which just kept making me more and more annoyed/uncomfortable.

As if that wasn't rude enough, he proceeded to ask where I went to school, and when I said I'd be starting at UVA Law in the fall he said that it was an okay school, and explained to me why it wasn't as good as Tech, etc. etc. At this point he was practically harassing me, so I informed him that UVA is a top 10 and that Tech doesn't actually have a law school so he couldn't possibly be correct. He looked at me really weird and I walked away while he kept saying how much better Tech was and that rankings don't matter.

In hindsight I would have liked to tell the manager about this creepy old man harassing young girls (since he thought I was like 16), but I didn't get his name.

applepie

Postby applepie » Mon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm

^^^ this reminds me. My dad took me around his job when I visited to have lunch after my graduation. Not one, not two, but twelve people asked if it was my high school graduation. and these are people that have known my father and I for about 13 years....not to mention he brags about me going to UVA all the time.

I feel your pain! Really creepy guy though....

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm

applepie wrote:^^^ this reminds me. My dad took me around his job when I visited to have lunch after my graduation. Not one, not two, but twelve people asked if it was my high school graduation. and these are people that have known my father and I for about 13 years....not to mention he brags about me going to UVA all the time.

I have an uncle who did this - and then he wanted to know why no one seemed to know UVA was a good school.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:01 pm

jdn012 wrote:
applepie wrote:^^^ this reminds me. My dad took me around his job when I visited to have lunch after my graduation. Not one, not two, but twelve people asked if it was my high school graduation. and these are people that have known my father and I for about 13 years....not to mention he brags about me going to UVA all the time.

I have an uncle who did this - and then he wanted to know why no one seemed to know UVA was a good school.

My dad brags all the time to his lawyer friends. Most people in the legal world, even paralegals/assistants/etc., seem to know the best dozen schools or so.

Any schools with state or city names in them will always struggle with recognition, and being bad at the big sports doesn't help things. I'm actually somewhat relieved to tell people I'm going to UVA Law because they don't have certain automatic assumptions like a Harvard, or Duke, or Georgetown might evoke.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Don't feel bad. one time my ski hat ripped and i needed to borrow my sister's. The chairlift operator thought i was a girl when I said something to him. It was the most humiliating moment of my life up until that point. I was 11 years old though. I got my first zit just 3 days later and it was perhaps the greatest moment of my life, because I figured my voice wouldn't sound feminine anymore with puberty impending.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:Don't feel bad. one time my ski hat ripped and i needed to borrow my sister's. The chairlift operator thought i was a girl when I said something to him. It was the most humiliating moment of my life up until that point. I was 11 years old though. I got my first zit just 3 days later and it was perhaps the greatest moment of my life, because I figured my voice wouldn't sound feminine anymore with puberty impending.

By the way, I was wearing a neckwarmer and a scarf too. His judgment was based on my nose, voice, and ski hat.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm

When you make more in a summer than creepy VaTech guy does in about 18 months, you'll have the last laugh about which school is better.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 18, 2009 5:15 pm

gladiator wrote:When you make more in a summer than creepy VaTech guy does in about 18 months, you'll have the last laugh about which school is better.

ouch! but lol

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I wonder where VaTech would fall in the Law Schools That Don't Exist rankings. Top 10 maybe? #1 would be Princeton, that's for sure.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I thought everyone would find it amusing. It was weird more than anything else, my Mom was standing a little further away on the aisle and she said she couldn't help but laugh at how creepy he was. I think I was more offended he thought I was in high school than anything else.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets mistaken for a teenager on a semi regular basis.

green

Postby green » Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm

limegreen wrote:I thought everyone would find it amusing. It was weird more than anything else, my Mom was standing a little further away on the aisle and she said she couldn't help but laugh at how creepy he was. I think I was more offended he thought I was in high school than anything else.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets mistaken for a teenager on a semi regular basis.

A famous jazz musician at a bar once told me that I'll be carded until I'm 40 :?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Mon May 18, 2009 9:19 pm

limegreen wrote:I thought everyone would find it amusing. It was weird more than anything else, my Mom was standing a little further away on the aisle and she said she couldn't help but laugh at how creepy he was. I think I was more offended he thought I was in high school than anything else.

I do too lol. We'll have the last laugh my friend... when we're like 70.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 pm

It's a good thing I didn't pick a school like Northwestern where the median age is a lot higher, I would get mistaken for the high school intern or something.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm going on 24 and my fiancee and I get mistaken for high schoolers all the time. You won't be alone at UVA!

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon May 18, 2009 9:56 pm

A few days before my college graduation, I went to get my hair cut. I usually just go to one of the various chain places that only charge 15 bucks or so. They also have a discount for children under 12. I get up to the front of the line and put my name in, and the woman says, "And how old are you, sweetie?" "I'm 22!" She apologized profusely and claimed she hadn't really looked up from her book. I was still annoyed.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon May 18, 2009 10:05 pm

We haven't had any new members to the thread recently, does anyone know the normal M.O. for UVA getting people off the waitlist? wait until second deposit deadline?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 pm

napolnic wrote:We haven't had any new members to the thread recently, does anyone know the normal M.O. for UVA getting people off the waitlist? wait until second deposit deadline?

someone posted an email awhile back that UVA sent to the waitlist, basically I think they said they would be waiting till the second deposit deadline before they would know if they needed to fill any spots. which reminds me, i really need to get that second deposit in...

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 am

This is from the "Released from UVA Waitlist" thread - if the person is correct, I don't know if there are that many new people that will join. It seems like UVA did one heck of a job this year.

m_habib wrote:
Beantownkid wrote:When do you think UVA will start taking people, if any?

I spoke to UVA today and was told they are basically filled to capacity after 1st deposit and 2nd deposits are comming in at an unprecedented rate. I was also told they would be releasing "over the next few days" the "vast majority" of people on the waitlist.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 19, 2009 2:02 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”