UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jdn012

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:57 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I think my desktop monitor just died. And I'm also pretty sure it's not under warranty. :(

:(

Are you going to upgrade before ls?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 07, 2009 4:14 pm

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Edit: n/am
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

omg

Postby omg » Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 pm

AB > BA :wink:

thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I'm not going to upgrade since I already have an okay laptop I bought earlier this year for ls (and a netbook, I have too many computers) in addition to my main desktop. I built my desktop myself out of various components and it's a pretty solid machine (2.66gHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4gb RAM, 5.1 surround sound, XFX GeForce 256mb graphics card, 630W power supply, Vista Ultimate x64), and most powerful machine by far. Once I make sure the monitor truly failed (and not my graphics card on my desktop), I'll probably go buy another monitor, since I still plan to use my desktop as my primary computer.

I'm 80% certain that it's the monitor that went bad, though. It flickers for a second with the video card's image when I hookup either my desktop and laptop and then blacks out (but it still seems to be receiving video data). Also, the menu/customization buttons on the monitor no longer work/respond (and they should work as long as the monitor has power).

This is $200+ I wasn't planning to spend. Sigh...

On the bright side, I get my BA tomorrow.

Congrats on the BA! Sounds like the perfect excuse to get a bigger monitor to me!

mmmm big monitors...

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 07, 2009 5:19 pm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm

So I received my lease today and it said multiple times that I am required to have renter's insurance. Does anyone know if this is typical? Is it a Virginia thing or picky apartment thing? I've rented for the past five years and never had renters insurance (it's been offered, never required). My dad says that as long as I am in school my apartment is covered under his homeowners insurance or some such he thinks.

Has anyone had renter's insurance and how much was it a month?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 pm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Thu May 07, 2009 7:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:So I received my lease today and it said multiple times that I am required to have renter's insurance. Does anyone know if this is typical? Is it a Virginia thing or picky apartment thing? I've rented for the past five years and never had renters insurance (it's been offered, never required). My dad says that as long as I am in school my apartment is covered under his homeowners insurance or some such he thinks.

I think high-end places are more likely to require this than other places. I don't think most of the places I looked at in VA required it.

Since my current (Nashville) apartment is falling apart (notably, I was afraid there'd be water damage to my electronics), I bought renter's insurance with AllState. It worked out to about $135 for one year, with a $1000 deductible and something like $20,000 or $30,000 in replacement-value (versus depreciated value) coverage (with liability coverage somewhere in the range of $500,000).

Thanks! $135 isn't bad at all I suppose. I live in a 70 year old apartment right now - kind of ironic that I will probably be insuring a 5-10 year old apartment! Oh well, I'll suck it up and just keep taking out those loans...

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:So I received my lease today and it said multiple times that I am required to have renter's insurance. Does anyone know if this is typical? Is it a Virginia thing or picky apartment thing? I've rented for the past five years and never had renters insurance (it's been offered, never required). My dad says that as long as I am in school my apartment is covered under his homeowners insurance or some such he thinks.

Where are you living? My lease says something about renters must have their own and the apartment is not responsible, but I've never had it before either. I can't figure out if they are saying they aren't liable so if you want it you have to get your own, or if they are saying I have to get it either way... but they haven't mentioned anything about it to me. Anyone else at the Woodlands know if you HAVE to get rental insurance?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 pm

limegreen wrote:

Where are you living? My lease says something about renters must have their own and the apartment is not responsible, but I've never had it before either. I can't figure out if they are saying they aren't liable so if you want it you have to get your own, or if they are saying I have to get it either way... but they haven't mentioned anything about it to me. Anyone else at the Woodlands know if you HAVE to get rental insurance?

Nothing about renter's insurance here at Wade.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Anyone else getting a little impatient about their travel stipend check? I could really use that $400.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone else getting a little impatient about their travel stipend check? I could really use that $400.

I already got mine.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:18 pm

Wow, now I feel like an asshole. I just realized I forgot to get my mail yesterday and today. That explains it!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 am

Mine still hasn't come, but I'm in the third-farthest state from VA (I think).

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 am

uvatwol

Postby uvatwol » Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 am

geoffree wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Nothing about renter's insurance here at Wade.

Hey guys. It's usually an apartment by apartment thing, and often the reason they'll tell you you have to have it is so they can try to sell you the sponsored plan. Also, just so you don't feel like you're being taken for hidden fees, you're not insuring the apartment, you're insuring your stuff only. The complex has insurance on the buidling.

To whomever said it'd be covered under parent's policy--there's usually an age limit on that, not just a "school" limit, so be sure to check. I think it expires (typically) at 24 or 25, so things may change while you're here, if they haven't already.

EDIT: Yeah, just checked the standard form. It expires when you're 21 if not in school, 24 if in school full time if you were a resident at your parent's house prior to leaving for school. But, another thing to check is the coverage for property that's not at the covered house--which would be your stuff at school. It's usually quite limited.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 08, 2009 9:38 am

So to the people who live at the Woodlands now- did you get rental insurance, or are you just counting on your parents policy?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri May 08, 2009 12:09 pm

<-----2L as of 11:15 AM.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:55 pm

gladiator wrote:<-----2L as of 11:15 AM.

Congrats!! How does it feel? Or are you already at the bar? :)

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

limegreen wrote:

Jefferson Ridge. It says it is mandatory and I must show proof of my policy before being handed the keys. They didn't mention it at all in person or over the phone; I noticed it when I was reading the lease yesterday.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 08, 2009 3:52 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Jefferson Ridge. It says it is mandatory and I must show proof of my policy before being handed the keys. They didn't mention it at all in person or over the phone; I noticed it when I was reading the lease yesterday.

Hmm. Mine says something about it, I'm going to email them and ask because I have another question I had been meaning to ask too.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:15 pm

limegreen wrote:So to the people who live at the Woodlands now- did you get rental insurance, or are you just counting on your parents policy?

You don't need to have it yourself, or under your parents. You just show up when ready to move and they'll hand you the keys.

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Fri May 08, 2009 9:51 pm

my ivy lease says something about needing renters insurance. i don't want it.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 pm

I think just about every form lease says something about needing renter's insurance, but not many landlords are going to bother to check. It's possible they just put it in there to avoid liability of some kind or so they can say "well, we told you to get renter's insurance in the contract".

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”