UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RVP11

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Interesting... there is a Mormon group at UVA Law (called the Rex E. Lee Law Society). They just sent out an email to the Mormon students that have paid their deposit (I am one of them), and there were 35 people on the list (a few of whom I know from the good ol' BYU Poli Sci department). We get a bad rap sometimes, but most of us are pretty chill. Don't worry. I just thought it was interesting.

Mormons get a bad rap?

In a liberal area, absolutely. People in Seattle generally have nothing but nasty things to say about Mormons.

:shock:

Maybe it's because I live in AZ, but I almost never hear anyone say bad things about the Mormon community here. At worst, you'll see an eye roll at the discussion of a family with 5+ kids.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Cavalier wrote:
sorry for changing the subject again, but has anyone received their stipend from the march 24th asd yet?

Nope, still waiting for mine. I'm surprised its taking so long.

E-mailed the admissions office about this this morning and Mr. Dougas replied back saying the checks would either be in the mail today or tomorrow. So hopefully we should all have something by Friday.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 pm

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Tue May 05, 2009 6:26 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:Interesting... there is a Mormon group at UVA Law (called the Rex E. Lee Law Society). They just sent out an email to the Mormon students that have paid their deposit (I am one of them), and there were 35 people on the list (a few of whom I know from the good ol' BYU Poli Sci department). We get a bad rap sometimes, but most of us are pretty chill. Don't worry. I just thought it was interesting.

Dang it I thought I was leaving BYU to get AWAY from all the Mormons! I bought a bikini and everything to celebrate my independence (and swimming pools without dress codes).

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Really? I bought a Speedo for the same reason. Maybe I'll return it.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:32 pm

j/k I didn't really buy one; nor will I ever.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

DELETED

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Tue May 05, 2009 6:36 pm

laurathenerd wrote:

Dang it I thought I was leaving BYU to get AWAY from all the Mormons! I bought a bikini and everything to celebrate my independence (and swimming pools without dress codes).

just curious--what is the swimming pool dress code at byu? one-pieces only?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm

A couple of my friends bought Borat swimsuits. Apparently, pictures of them wearing it violated Facebook's policy on uploaded images (even though pictures of Borat himself wearing it do not).

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm

For women, it needs to be a one piece that doesn't show too much cleavage. Men really can't wear speedos, unless they are on the swim team. I think you can wear tight bathing suits as long as it isn't too short.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
monochrome wrote:sorry for changing the subject again, but has anyone received their stipend from the march 24th asd yet?

and showNprove, thanks for the endorsement! looks like we'll be neighbors next year.

I might be your neighbor on the other side. I got an unfurnished 1BR in the same building, deposit already paid.

Wow. That's 5 of us in Arlington Court Condos.

6 if I land this place.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Mormons get a bad rap?

In a liberal area, absolutely. People in Seattle generally have nothing but nasty things to say about Mormons.

New York is one of the most liberal places in the world and I can't recall a single discussion of Mormons.

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:49 pm

DELETED
Last edited by jasofbase2001 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm

Kohinoor wrote:New York is one of the most liberal places in the world and I can't recall a single discussion of Mormons.

Well, I don't think Mormons have quite the same presence in New York as they do on the west coast. Especially after their contribution to Proposition 8 in California, there have been at least a couple protests outside Mormon Temples here.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I know it has been explained on numerous pages, but this thread is way too long to spend an hour searching. Could someone tell me how to change this godawful password for SIS and my email? It won't let me do it via gmail. Thanks!

And here we are...
jasonrenejones wrote:How do you get your UVA email address? I paid my deposit this morning and am trying to get my address up. I remember reading some people did this successfully already, but can't find it on this monstrous thread.

crazyinalabama wrote:YCrev - you solved my problem!!! I now I have a Virginia Gmail account thanks to you...now I just have to look back a few pages and figure out how to change/add an address that makes sense...our constant posting is getting to be annoying when I need to find earlier information!

First, of course, I have to log onto facebook and friend the only Harvard person! :D

Glad to be of service. :)

Repost of email setup directions (with more details):
After logging into SIS (https://sisuva.admin.virginia.edu/psp/e ... PAPP_GUEST) click the email button at the top. A page should come up saying you need set up your email account. After an appropriate click or two to the right links (I don't remember specifically, but it's fairly apparent), you should reach the computing quiz screen. You could also try to set up your email by searching for "UVA email" in Google and then, after clicking on the email accounts page, choose to setup your Gmail or MS Live email address (and it should hopefully prompt you to do the quiz then). Note: you have to choose Gmail or MS Live.

If it doesn't work the first time (you get an error message and you've sent in your first deposit), try another browser and make sure you clear your browser's cache before beginning the email setup process.

Email Aliases:
You can sort-of change your email address by adding aliases to your account (after setup, you can go to a UVA, not Gmail, account managment page to add aliases). Unfortunately, you can only add aliases to your YOURCHOICE@email.virginia.edu; you can't change or add aliases to INITIALSANDRANDOM@virginia.edu. There doesn't appear to be any way to change your username (which is based off of that weird combination).Visit https://ams.itc.virginia.edu/cgi-bin/index.cgi to add/manage aliases (UVa Email Address Management). You may need to log-in before it lets you go to the page. Click "Manage Aliases."

I went ahead and added aliases for my name for the email.virginia.edu domain. I also set up my Thunderbird for UVA Gmail email. This means you can have POP (or SMTP) UVA email which lets you use email clients and should allow you to look up your mail on your Crackberry (I don't have one, so I don't know for sure, but I assume it uses POP or SMTP).

Changing your password
Go to: http://www.itc.virginia.edu/accounts/changelost.html

I changed my eservices password and email switchboard passwords and it seems to have taken care of everything NetBadge related that I've wanted to use. If you want to use a mail client for your Gmail/Live account, you need to make sure the UVA password and Gmail password match (if not, you can reset your gmail password through the Gmail settings page under change password; after logging out, log back in through a UVA link and it should prompt you for a new password).

YC - I just changed everything I would ever need to change and promise not to ask yet AGAIN. Thank you as always!

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm

They made you put your cape around your waist? That would totally ruin the whole Superman vibe!

Another good thing about leaving Provo: I can finally run in a sports bra and shorts instead of always having to wear a tank top! Oh UVA is just looking better and better all the time!

Edited to preserve the dignity of Jason.
Last edited by laurathenerd on Mon May 18, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:New York is one of the most liberal places in the world and I can't recall a single discussion of Mormons.

Well, I don't think Mormons have quite the same presence in New York as they do on the west coast. Especially after their contribution to Proposition 8 in California, there have been at least a couple protests outside Mormon Temples here.

Ohhhhh.... Yeah, even over here we heard that the Mormons really threw their weight behind that... thing.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Anyone else just get an email "RE: Information on Applying for Financial Aid at the University of Virginia School of Law"?

Mistake perhaps? Seems like a duplicate of something that was sent months ago.

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 pm

iceberger wrote:Anyone else just get an email "RE: Information on Applying for Financial Aid at the University of Virginia School of Law"?

i got it. maybe it's just a reminder?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Tue May 05, 2009 10:45 pm

hotburrito wrote:
iceberger wrote:Anyone else just get an email "RE: Information on Applying for Financial Aid at the University of Virginia School of Law"?

i got it. maybe it's just a reminder?

Has to be...we all filled out our Need-Access stuff ages ago. Fat lot of help it did me anyway...note to parents: when choosing a year to be unemployed, please choose the year BEFORE your child is going to grad school, not the year your child is enrolling in grad school.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I know it has been explained on numerous pages, but this thread is way too long to spend an hour searching. Could someone tell me how to change this godawful password for SIS and my email? It won't let me do it via gmail. Thanks!

And here we are...
jasonrenejones wrote:How do you get your UVA email address? I paid my deposit this morning and am trying to get my address up. I remember reading some people did this successfully already, but can't find it on this monstrous thread.

crazyinalabama wrote:YCrev - you solved my problem!!! I now I have a Virginia Gmail account thanks to you...now I just have to look back a few pages and figure out how to change/add an address that makes sense...our constant posting is getting to be annoying when I need to find earlier information!

First, of course, I have to log onto facebook and friend the only Harvard person! :D

Glad to be of service. :)

Repost of email setup directions (with more details):
After logging into SIS (https://sisuva.admin.virginia.edu/psp/e ... PAPP_GUEST) click the email button at the top. A page should come up saying you need set up your email account. After an appropriate click or two to the right links (I don't remember specifically, but it's fairly apparent), you should reach the computing quiz screen. You could also try to set up your email by searching for "UVA email" in Google and then, after clicking on the email accounts page, choose to setup your Gmail or MS Live email address (and it should hopefully prompt you to do the quiz then). Note: you have to choose Gmail or MS Live.

If it doesn't work the first time (you get an error message and you've sent in your first deposit), try another browser and make sure you clear your browser's cache before beginning the email setup process.

Email Aliases:
You can sort-of change your email address by adding aliases to your account (after setup, you can go to a UVA, not Gmail, account managment page to add aliases). Unfortunately, you can only add aliases to your YOURCHOICE@email.virginia.edu; you can't change or add aliases to INITIALSANDRANDOM@virginia.edu. There doesn't appear to be any way to change your username (which is based off of that weird combination).Visit https://ams.itc.virginia.edu/cgi-bin/index.cgi to add/manage aliases (UVa Email Address Management). You may need to log-in before it lets you go to the page. Click "Manage Aliases."

I went ahead and added aliases for my name for the email.virginia.edu domain. I also set up my Thunderbird for UVA Gmail email. This means you can have POP (or SMTP) UVA email which lets you use email clients and should allow you to look up your mail on your Crackberry (I don't have one, so I don't know for sure, but I assume it uses POP or SMTP).

Changing your password
Go to: http://www.itc.virginia.edu/accounts/changelost.html

I changed my eservices password and email switchboard passwords and it seems to have taken care of everything NetBadge related that I've wanted to use. If you want to use a mail client for your Gmail/Live account, you need to make sure the UVA password and Gmail password match (if not, you can reset your gmail password through the Gmail settings page under change password; after logging out, log back in through a UVA link and it should prompt you for a new password).

YC, just wanted to say that you are awesome!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Does anyone else get a broken link when they try to do the loan counseling or whatever it is called? I tried yesterday and again today and it takes me to some random page that tells me the link does not exist.

Also, what happens after you apply with your lender and accept the loans? I did it over the weekend, how long should I expect until I hear from someone? What happens next?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I might be your neighbor on the other side. I got an unfurnished 1BR in the same building, deposit already paid.

Wow. That's 5 of us in Arlington Court Condos.

6 if I land this place.[/quote]

7 if you haven't counted me (I don't remember which boards I've told)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”