UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RVP11

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:12 am

Turns out my fiancee, who's going to stay behind in Arizona for my 1L year so she can work as a teacher, is probably not going to get a job thanks to state budget cuts. FML.

CE2JD, I might soon have the same problem. Only I'll be supporting wifey remotely.

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Mon May 04, 2009 12:16 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Turns out my fiancee, who's going to stay behind in Arizona for my 1L year so she can work as a teacher, is probably not going to get a job thanks to state budget cuts. FML.

CE2JD, I might soon have the same problem. Only I'll be supporting wifey remotely.

why would she stay in arizona if she doesn't have a job anyway?

omg

Postby omg » Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 am

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are we allowed to put 7/09 as the loan start date? I figure it'll be nice to have the money a little bit early to start buying big things for the apartment and stuff.

Also, anyone else STILL waiting to get loan information on SIS?

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 am

kinda off topic, but is anyone else thinking about studying abroad during law school? from the UVA site it looks like they've got a bunch of interesting programs with other universities abroad. it sounds like something i'd be interested in but i don't know if it confers any actual benefit...

edit: grammer

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 am

omg wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but are we allowed to put 7/09 as the loan start date? I figure it'll be nice to have the money a little bit early to start buying big things for the apartment and stuff.

I'm not sure that putting the start date really matters because whoever you get your loans through is going to have to request information from the law school. I would think UVA would just tell your loan company the start and end dates and how much you're eligible for in the same correspondence. But I don't think the money gets disbursed until early August anyways, so you probably won't have your money until then.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 am

iceberger wrote:kinda off topic, but is anyone else thinking about studying abroad during law school? from the UVA site it looks like they've got a bunch of interesting programs with other universities abroad. it sounds like something i'd be interested in but i don't know if it confers any actual benefit...

I just got back from a semester in the UK, and I am desperate to find a way to get back. I actually didn't think that the programs UVA offered looked that great - mainly because I want one in London. I love London. I'm trying to figure out how I can move there after I get my law degree (getting an American law degree probably isn't the best idea for this, but whatever). The UVA program is in Nottingham which is in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. Although I guess if I can get in I'll probably tolerate it, as long as I can take frequent weekend trips down to London :) I don't care if the program has any benefits - I just like Europe.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 am

laurathenerd wrote:
iceberger wrote:kinda off topic, but is anyone else thinking about studying abroad during law school? from the UVA site it looks like they've got a bunch of interesting programs with other universities abroad. it sounds like something i'd be interested in but i don't know if it confers any actual benefit...

I just got back from a semester in the UK, and I am desperate to find a way to get back. I actually didn't think that the programs UVA offered looked that great - mainly because I want one in London. I love London. I'm trying to figure out how I can move there after I get my law degree (getting an American law degree probably isn't the best idea for this, but whatever). The UVA program is in Nottingham which is in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. Although I guess if I can get in I'll probably tolerate it, as long as I can take frequent weekend trips down to London :) I don't care if the program has any benefits - I just like Europe.

+1, Nottingham is not very interesting.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon May 04, 2009 10:09 am

I'd really like to do the summer at The Hague or in South Africa because I'm interested in Int'l human rights. However, those are both super competitive programs it seemed and I'm not sure I have the gunner material in me...

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon May 04, 2009 11:10 am

The Melbourne or Tokyo ones sound cool, but prob not for a whole semester. The January term sounds like a good idea.

ndm2007

Postby ndm2007 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Poo, I just found out that Ivy Gardens is technically located in Albemarle county and not in the city of Charlottesville. I was looking forward to living in a city. Feeling pretty lame right now, gotta admit.

I'd like to study abroad. That third year in Paris thing where you get a french law degree at the end looks awesome.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon May 04, 2009 1:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Study abroad sounds awesome, but I feel like it might be more disruptive during LS - 1L year would be way too soon, 2L/3L journals/moot court/OGI/etc. sound like they'd preclude many if not most people from even considering it? LS will be way short compared to college!

Law school will be especially short for those of us who um...might have gone to college for more than 4 years. I can't imagine having graduated after my junior year - this is going to be crazy!

limegreen wrote:The Melbourne or Tokyo ones sound cool, but prob not for a whole semester. The January term sounds like a good idea.

The January term thing looked like it was only for Paris, unfortunately (I'm not a big fan of Paris). Maybe they'll get another program for January term - because that would be awesome. What else are you going to do in January anyway?

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm

omg wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but are we allowed to put 7/09 as the loan start date? I figure it'll be nice to have the money a little bit early to start buying big things for the apartment and stuff.

My loan information was just posted, so hopefully if yours isn't up yet, it will be soon!

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm

laurathenerd wrote: What else are you going to do in January anyway?

Sleep and play Wii :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 04, 2009 2:14 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon May 04, 2009 2:24 pm

YCrevolution wrote:+1

For some reason, every time I see your tar I see you pointing out your finger like a gun and saying "pew, pew!"

Just thought I would share.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 04, 2009 2:33 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon May 04, 2009 2:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Maybe, I'll start doing that. :)

Other random thoughts...
Since I'm just waiting for commencement now, this has been my life lately:
-give away heavy furniture
-begin packing stuff up to move
-work on my law school admission prediction spreadsheet
-eat
-sleep
-find and hang out with friends who are still around campus right now
-help the 18th-century Austrians take over 18th-century Europe. They've got all of modern-day Austria, Hungary, and Denmark right now and have most of Germany, Poland, and part of Yugoslavia.

Why stop there? I say build a time machine in your spare time and help the 18th-century Austrians take over 21st-century Europe. At least we'll get headlines about something other than the flu: "Bored college student invades ill-prepared EU with 18th century army"

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:

I'd really like to do the summer at The Hague or in South Africa because I'm interested in Int'l human rights. However, those are both super competitive programs it seemed and I'm not sure I have the gunner material in me...

A friend is doing the South Africa fellowship I assume you're talking about if you're interested in information.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:20 pm

napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Maybe, I'll start doing that. :)

Other random thoughts...
Since I'm just waiting for commencement now, this has been my life lately:
-give away heavy furniture
-begin packing stuff up to move
-work on my law school admission prediction spreadsheet
-eat
-sleep
-find and hang out with friends who are still around campus right now
-help the 18th-century Austrians take over 18th-century Europe. They've got all of modern-day Austria, Hungary, and Denmark right now and have most of Germany, Poland, and part of Yugoslavia.

Why stop there? I say build a time machine in your spare time and help the 18th-century Austrians take over 21st-century Europe. At least we'll get headlines about something other than the flu: "Bored college student invades ill-prepared EU with 18th century army"

Do it for Prince Gerhardt Hapsburg!

--ImageRemoved--

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon May 04, 2009 4:59 pm

I just got my first normal UVA email sent to my UVA email address! I never thought I would get so excited about the swine flu! :mrgreen:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 04, 2009 5:15 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm

laurathenerd wrote:I just got my first normal UVA email sent to my UVA email address! I never thought I would get so excited about the swine flu! :mrgreen:

you've missed out! there was another great one about swine flu last week. they're really on the ball over there apparently, haha. although, i can't help but imagine an army of UVA staff in body suits building quarantine camps on the quad or something from the tone of these emails.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 pm

The UVA law school laptop bundles are available at http://www.cavcompbts.virginia.edu if folks are interested. The MacBook bundle looks fairly priced, though I don't like the fact that you have to wait until August to receive the laptop, and the machines don't appear to be configurable. Anyone else have opinions on these?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon May 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”