UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jdn012

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I look forward to Rock Band parties, which should be one of the true highlights of law school. :D

If other people are into it, I might spend the time to become good again.

I'm game, although I don't really have an outlet to practice.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Cavalier wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I look forward to Rock Band parties, which should be one of the true highlights of law school. :D

I've never played Rock Band, but I've heard it's great, so I'd definitely be up for Rock Band parties.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 pm

I have never played rockband but I'm decent at Guitar Hero... are the guitar controls the same?

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Fri May 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Dang it, I tried to play Guitar Hero last week and I was worse than the 8 year old I was playing with. So, when you guys are having sweet awesome Guitar Hero tournaments this fall and you need someone who is really terrible to make you feel better about yourselves, just call me up.

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Fri May 01, 2009 6:43 pm

limegreen wrote:I have never played rockband but I'm decent at Guitar Hero... are the guitar controls the same?

pretty much. if anything, rock band guitar parts are easier.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Cavalier wrote:

As long as you can avoid failing out on Easy you can rock with me. :D

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm

limegreen wrote:I have never played rockband but I'm decent at Guitar Hero... are the guitar controls the same?

Yeah, it's basically the same. I find Rockband a little more difficult because the rectangle notes seem smaller than the circular notes in Guitar hero, but it's not a big deal.

Hopefully someone is decent at drums and vocals - I'm horrible at both of those. It seems like most people I know only bother to learn one instrument. My friend held the online score records for several songs on drums (he's insanely good), but can barely do guitar.

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Fri May 01, 2009 6:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

As long as you can avoid failing out on Easy you can rock with me. :D

you can always sing.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:So I bought a wii off ebay yesterday after rationalizing that I will need study breaks every once and a while next year (meaning daily...). I got the wii fit board w/games as well and am planning on getting Mario Kart. Anyone have any game recommendations?

AHHH. I wish I had known, I'm trying to sell my Wii and I already have Mario Kart and two wheels and some other stuff. I would have cut you a nice deal!

=( Two hours after I won it on ebay someone also posted an add on craigslist in my area for the exact same price I paid with 15 more games plus Mario Kart and the wheel...I'm trying to block these incidents out of my head because I refuse to have buyers remorse!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:So I bought a wii off ebay yesterday after rationalizing that I will need study breaks every once and a while next year (meaning daily...). I got the wii fit board w/games as well and am planning on getting Mario Kart. Anyone have any game recommendations?

AHHH. I wish I had known, I'm trying to sell my Wii and I already have Mario Kart and two wheels and some other stuff. I would have cut you a nice deal!

=( Two hours after I won it on ebay someone also posted an add on craigslist in my area for the exact same price I paid with 15 more games plus Mario Kart and the wheel...I'm trying to block these incidents out of my head because I refuse to have buyers remorse!

Haha, that's how it always seems to work out for me.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Fri May 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Yeah, it's basically the same. I find Rockband a little more difficult because the rectangle notes seem smaller than the circular notes in Guitar hero, but it's not a big deal.

Hopefully someone is decent at drums and vocals - I'm horrible at both of those. It seems like most people I know only bother to learn one instrument. My friend held the online score records for several songs on drums (he's insanely good), but can barely do guitar.

I haven't played in a long time, but I was pretty good at drums. I'm certainly not setting any records, but I could handle myself on hard for most songs and expert for the easier ones. I always wanted to play real drums when I was young, but my parents didn't like the idea of listening to that in the house, so when rock band came out I was finally able to semi-fulfill my dream.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I just watched the documentary "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar." I'm not sure I will want to join you people in the Fall...I'm definitely not ever taking the bar in California. Someone had posted on a thread (not sure which one) how great this movie was...that person clearly wanted to improve his or her chances of getting off a waitlist. Bastard.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I just watched the documentary "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar." I'm not sure I will want to join you people in the Fall...I'm definitely not ever taking the bar in California. Someone had posted on a thread (not sure which one) how great this movie was...that person clearly wanted to improve his or her chances of getting off a waitlist. Bastard.

Aaaaand thank you for interrupting the nonsense video game discussion (that you started lol).

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm

geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I just watched the documentary "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar." I'm not sure I will want to join you people in the Fall...I'm definitely not ever taking the bar in California. Someone had posted on a thread (not sure which one) how great this movie was...that person clearly wanted to improve his or her chances of getting off a waitlist. Bastard.

Aaaaand thank you for interrupting the nonsense video game discussion (that you started lol).

Hahah you're just bitter there isn't a Rock Band featuring Jerry Garcia and Phil Lesh. :P

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri May 01, 2009 8:10 pm

HA! I don't know, it all just seems too strange. Call me old fashioned, but I'm okay with the original marios (1&2), pro pinball, tekken... arrrgh must...not..talk..video..games...aaak

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 pm

Anyone else dug into some of the recommended 0L reading from the UVA admitweb?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

geoffree wrote:Anyone else dug into some of the recommended 0L reading from the UVA admitweb?

I bookmarked a couple of the books but haven't gotten around to ordering them... mostly because I haven't even gotten around to reading "Getting to Maybe" yet.

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 pm

geoffree wrote:Anyone else dug into some of the recommended 0L reading from the UVA admitweb?

I re-read To Kill a Mockingbird, since I read it in Jr. High and didn't really remember it. I really liked it. I'd imagine it's on a different reading level than everything else, though. (But I haven't really looked at anything else on the list to verify that.)

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm

limegreen wrote:

I bookmarked a couple of the books but haven't gotten around to ordering them... mostly because I haven't even gotten around to reading "Getting to Maybe" yet.

I'm saving Getting to Maybe for last. Most of the reading list seems to be on the "fun" side [A Civil Action, The Man To See]. I'm also getting through Thinking Like a Lawyer, slowly but surely.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:19 pm

I read A Civil Action in a week and got halfway through Blank Slate in 2 months (before I put it down), if that tells y'all anything about the relative entertainment value of the two books. I'm going to start Remains of the Day but I always struggle to stay interested in fiction.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I think A Civil Action is the only one I'm really likely to read.

I'm hoping to do a moderate amount of reading this summer, I have done little to no reading since I graduated last year. I have been reading the same book for a month.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri May 01, 2009 10:44 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green

Postby green » Sat May 02, 2009 2:25 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I read A Civil Action in a week and got halfway through Blank Slate in 2 months (before I put it down), if that tells y'all anything about the relative entertainment value of the two books. I'm going to start Remains of the Day but I always struggle to stay interested in fiction.

I read Remains of the Day in high school. It has its value, though I found it to be kind of slow. It has a lot of flashbacks.

green

Postby green » Sat May 02, 2009 2:30 am

thesealocust wrote:For Wii, I recommend Mario Kart. A ton of fun for obsessive people, and I've never seen a game have such a positive reception from people who generally don't play video games.

For books, I really enjoyed law school confidential and I've heard enough good things about getting to maybe that I might give it a shot.

Crap, I'm so behind on games...the last game system that I owned was Nintendo 64.

I have a Super NES if anyone is interested.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat May 02, 2009 3:01 am

I loved Super NES.

Also, one of my fav. games of all time was the original American release of Final Fantasy on the original Nintendo gaming system.

Classic game...

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”