UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
rsr28

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by rsr28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 pm

jdn012 wrote:
geoffree wrote:
uvatwol wrote:an 8-10 min walk away UNLESS the better parking spots don't sell out. Plus, the lot where you park has mandatory clear-out times when there's a big event at the arena.

But, if you get to school early enough, there's free street parking on Arlington Blvd that, depending on how close a spot you get, is a 2-5 min walk.
Is that the Blue lot? It seemed pretty close at ASD. I thought that was the furthest lot.
At ASD, It didn't seem like there were a lot of cars parked next to the school (are we even allowed to park there?). My host seemed to find a parking spot just fine every time. Anyone know the prices for each of the lots?
Roughly $150 for blue lot (the one you parked at for ASD), and roughly $300 for D3 (the second lot from school... the very close one is a faculty lot). Parking is the last thing you should be worrying about...
Last edited by rsr28 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:03 pm

green wrote:
rsr28 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
green wrote: Yeah, I'd like to know this too if possible. I might be coming early and would want to use some of the facilities (gym, practice rooms in the music building, etc), which I assume you need an ID for.
I believe you can use the gyms once you get an ID and you can get an ID early.
Last year you could NOT use the gym until a certain date (like August 12 or something) even if you had an ID.
Is this the main campus gym or the law student gym?
Your ID will not work at any facilities until a certain date. I think it activated a week before orientation, but it may have been two weeks. Nevertheless, you definitely will not be able to use facilities where they swipe your ID until some time around the second week in August.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Weird question on softball...is bunting frowned upon?
Isn't bunting always frowned upon?

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 pm

ILikeIke wrote:
omg wrote:So...

For the first time today, SIS is making it look like my loans are finally up in the Self-Service Financial Aid section. But then when I click on 2010, it says no awards are available for viewing : (

Has this happened to anyone else when they were waiting for loans??
Yes!!!! I have contacted the financial aid office about this, and they keep asking me if I've submitted my FAFSA, and I tell them yes, and they say, oh...we'll look for that, and then they send me a new email saying my information is up, but it's not!

I'm relieved I'm not the only one, but I really wish they'd just sort out both of our information!
grrrr...haha yea, I email them weekly just to make sure they know I'm still alive and waiting...and i keep getting those emails saying my info's up too. it'd really help to know for sure that i'll have the money before we sign our lease, haha!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:07 am

green wrote:
Isn't bunting always frowned upon?
LOL, looks like you're already building up a solid rep JSUVA :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:56 am

gladiator wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
I will have a big frown upon my face if anybody bunts (basically I will look like my avatar), unless they are incredibly unathletic.

EDIT: And how are pitches called? At my undergrad home plate was part of a bigger surrounding mat and any pitch that hit it coming down from above the batter's shoulder height was called a strike.
No bunting. Strike zone is I believe front shoulder, back hip on the arc.

JS, I hope that was just an inquiry and not something you had considered attempting. You were supposed to be my secret 1L ringer next year.
Ringer? Me? Maybe for soccer or football...

I severely lack hand-bat-eye coordination. If this tells you anything, my Little League batting average was like .750 because I dropped a bunt for an infield single on almost every at bat. Straight line speed FTW. But it looks like I'll need to actually learn how to swing now. I'm all embarassed that I asked... :oops:

BTW do many law students play intramurals for football/soccer/basketball? I would love to play on some teams that don't take it super seriously.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:55 am

I wouldn't say many do but if you wanted to play you could probably find a team or just make friends with athletic people to increase your chances.

When do you move in? Gonna need some batting practice to work on the hand-eye coordination. Maybe ShowNProve will take your place as secret ringer. There are a number of TLS people from last year ('11) who are good at softball so hopefully the '12 class doesn't disappoint.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:01 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
I will have a big frown upon my face if anybody bunts (basically I will look like my avatar), unless they are incredibly unathletic.

EDIT: And how are pitches called? At my undergrad home plate was part of a bigger surrounding mat and any pitch that hit it coming down from above the batter's shoulder height was called a strike.

JS, I hope that was just an inquiry and not something you had considered attempting. You were supposed to be my secret 1L ringer next year.

I severely lack hand-bat-eye coordination. If this tells you anything, my Little League batting average was like .750 because I dropped a bunt for an infield single on almost every at bat. Straight line speed FTW. But it looks like I'll need to actually learn how to swing now. I'm all embarassed that I asked... :oops:

BTW do many law students play intramurals for football/soccer/basketball? I would love to play on some teams that don't take it super seriously.
The person who hosted me for the ASW did intramural hockey and football.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:02 am

Is it weird to have your wife come to your softball games and cheer loudly for you?

...and by loudly I mean VERY loudly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

green

Bronze

Post by green » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:03 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:

Also, I severely lack coordination too, but I can run bases if actually hit the ball. Then again, I don't think I've ever played anything beyond wiffle ball.

Edit: I lack coordination except, of course, when I'm playing beer pong with paddles :)

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 am

Alright, so I feel a little silly posting this, and I was also a bit dubious about revealing myself as a softball neophyte, but I'm just so excited: I bought a softball glove last night!!!

I'm fairly athletic, but I just never played softball. My SO has (ETA: played baseball), though, and so we are going to play some catch and go to the batting cages and maybe run a few drills this summer.

Haha, like I said, I know it's silly, but I'm just excited about UVA, and I love sports, so I wanted to do something so I could hopefully contribute to my team this fall. :D
Last edited by ILikeIke on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 am

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 am

CE2JD wrote:Is it weird to have your wife come to your softball games and cheer loudly for you?

...and by loudly I mean VERY loudly?
I went home last week and my dad had already found my glove from high school softball (private school; scrawniest, girliest softball team to have ever existed) and had put it in the "to be moved" stack. It probably wouldn't be weird for your wife to show up and cheer loudly...however it will be embarrassing if my dad shows up to yell at me from the sidelines...

ILikeIke - the key to softball is not being afraid it's going to hit you in the face. Seriously, I played volleyball for 8 years and had gotten used to how soft the volleyball was in comparison. When I decided to try playing softball again in high school, my greatest challenge was not being terrified of the ball. If you can keep yourself from flinching every time the ball comes flying at you, you will do great!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hope4Law

New

Post by Hope4Law » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 am

Alright, thanks for the responses on 1 bedroom housing everyone! Seems like I am leaning toward Jefferson Ridge, since there seems to be a good number of law students in that area.

But this place Norcross Station, located downtown, seems really cool. The apartments look really trendy (although even more expensive than Jefferson Ridge) and I thought it might be convenient to live within walking distance of the downtown mall. Anyone know anything about this place? Anyone gonna live there? I actually think it is closer to the law school than JR...but not much.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:47 am

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:49 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Hope4Law wrote:Alright, thanks for the responses on 1 bedroom housing everyone! Seems like I am leaning toward Jefferson Ridge, since there seems to be a good number of law students in that area.

But this place Norcross Station, located downtown, seems really cool. The apartments look really trendy (although even more expensive than Jefferson Ridge) and I thought it might be convenient to live within walking distance of the downtown mall. Anyone know anything about this place? Anyone gonna live there? I actually think it is closer to the law school than JR...but not much.
It looks neat, but isn't heating and cooling a place like that going to get expensive given the high ceilings?

i was about to say the same thing. Plus, it looks like jefferson ridge offers a lot better scenery. from the Norcross station website it looks like you'd just have a nice view of a parking lot or something from the window.

Hope4Law

New

Post by Hope4Law » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:52 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Hope4Law wrote:Alright, thanks for the responses on 1 bedroom housing everyone! Seems like I am leaning toward Jefferson Ridge, since there seems to be a good number of law students in that area.

It looks neat, but isn't heating and cooling a place like that going to get expensive given the high ceilings?

Yea, that is probably true. Plus no free cable and internet at Norcross. I could get a 1 BR loft there for 1050, so a touch cheaper than at JR, but ultimately more pricey with the utilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:54 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 am

I think mine is a softball glove.

I'm not sure I've heard any loudly supportive spouses but a number of them have showed up at games, some even played.

It's hard to say how good you'll be, I played baseball in high school and it translated pretty well. I guess the hand eye coordination is a big deal but it's slow pitch so it's not quite the feat of hitting a baseball.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 am

gladiator wrote:I think mine is a softball glove.

I'm not sure I've heard any loudly supportive spouses but a number of them have showed up at games, some even played.

It's hard to say how good you'll be, I played baseball in high school and it translated pretty well. I guess the hand eye coordination is a big deal but it's slow pitch so it's not quite the feat of hitting a baseball.

yeah, if you've played baseball before . . . it's definitely a plus on defense, and in the hitting . . . it kinda hurts my softball hitting however, because I was never a power hitter, so I learned how to swing down through the ball very well . . . that doesn't get you many hits in softball

and as gladiator can attest to, our co-rec team(which went undefeated this season) got f*ckin hosed last night in softball . . . might have been the biggest BS of all time

jasonrenejones

New

Post by jasonrenejones » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:12 pm

x
Last edited by jasonrenejones on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

jasonrenejones

New

Post by jasonrenejones » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

x
Last edited by jasonrenejones on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:36 pm

How long do you have to wait after paying a deposit before that works?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”