UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jdn012

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 am

geoffree wrote:
uvatwol wrote:an 8-10 min walk away UNLESS the better parking spots don't sell out. Plus, the lot where you park has mandatory clear-out times when there's a big event at the arena.

But, if you get to school early enough, there's free street parking on Arlington Blvd that, depending on how close a spot you get, is a 2-5 min walk.

Is that the Blue lot? It seemed pretty close at ASD. I thought that was the furthest lot.

At ASD, It didn't seem like there were a lot of cars parked next to the school (are we even allowed to park there?). My host seemed to find a parking spot just fine every time. Anyone know the prices for each of the lots?

Hope4Law

Postby Hope4Law » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 pm

hey all...just decided on UVA and am starting the housing search. I am pretty much decided that I want to live in a one-bedroom (having lived by myself the last few years, I'm not sure how I'd react to going back to roommate life). So I am starting to look for places a little farther from campus than Ivy Gardens (willing to pay a little extra to live in a nice place). The two places I have really checked out are Jefferson Ridge (up near Woodlands) and Norcross Station (downtown). Anyone have any opinions on these places? If woodlands had one bedrooms, I would definitely live there, but oh well. Any other complexes that have 1 BR that you would suggest?

Thanks!

omg

Postby omg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Hope4Law wrote:hey all...just decided on UVA and am starting the housing search. I am pretty much decided that I want to live in a one-bedroom (having lived by myself the last few years, I'm not sure how I'd react to going back to roommate life). So I am starting to look for places a little farther from campus than Ivy Gardens (willing to pay a little extra to live in a nice place). The two places I have really checked out are Jefferson Ridge (up near Woodlands) and Norcross Station (downtown). Anyone have any opinions on these places? If woodlands had one bedrooms, I would definitely live there, but oh well. Any other complexes that have 1 BR that you would suggest?

Thanks!

Congratulations!!

Check out Carriage Hill and Barclay Place : )

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Hope4Law wrote:hey all...just decided on UVA and am starting the housing search. I am pretty much decided that I want to live in a one-bedroom (having lived by myself the last few years, I'm not sure how I'd react to going back to roommate life). So I am starting to look for places a little farther from campus than Ivy Gardens (willing to pay a little extra to live in a nice place). The two places I have really checked out are Jefferson Ridge (up near Woodlands) and Norcross Station (downtown). Anyone have any opinions on these places? If woodlands had one bedrooms, I would definitely live there, but oh well. Any other complexes that have 1 BR that you would suggest?

Thanks!

omg beat me to it! Barracks West might be another option - although certainly not as nice as Barclay, CH, or JR. After weeks of going back and forth between CH and JR, I settled on Jefferson Ridge today! Come be my neighbor!!!

omg

Postby omg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

So...

For the first time today, SIS is making it look like my loans are finally up in the Self-Service Financial Aid section. But then when I click on 2010, it says no awards are available for viewing : (

Has this happened to anyone else when they were waiting for loans??

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Do we get an e-mail address after just one deposit? Or do you need to send in both?

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:49 pm

mijahe wrote:Do we get an e-mail address after just one deposit? Or do you need to send in both?

One deposit is enough. It takes about a week after your deposit before you can set it up.

a.williams

Postby a.williams » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 pm

omg wrote:So...

For the first time today, SIS is making it look like my loans are finally up in the Self-Service Financial Aid section. But then when I click on 2010, it says no awards are available for viewing : (

Ya I had this same problem for awhile. The loans will appear, eventually.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:30 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:

Thanks!

omg beat me to it! Barracks West might be another option - although certainly not as nice as Barclay, CH, or JR. After weeks of going back and forth between CH and JR, I settled on Jefferson Ridge today! Come be my neighbor!!!

I say go for Jefferson Ridge, lots of us will be living there/Woodlands. It seems like the hot spot after Ivy/Arlington.

FeElMyEiRe

Postby FeElMyEiRe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, now that we're talking where to live, I've gotta question for y'all. I'm married, so I don't really want to live in Ivy (since I heard it can get kind of loud), but I would like to be close enough to the law school to walk/bike. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:15 pm

FeElMyEiRe wrote:Well, now that we're talking where to live, I've gotta question for y'all. I'm married, so I don't really want to live in Ivy (since I heard it can get kind of loud), but I would like to be close enough to the law school to walk/bike. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

See if you can get something on Arlington Blvd. I'm old, married, and crusty and I'll be living on Arlington, but my complex is already filled up.

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks!

Congrats on choosing UVA--as I recall, you were deciding between almost exactly the same options as I was, so I'm glad to hear you came to the same (correct) choice!

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:29 pm

So, I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a 1BR at Ivy Gardens since, even though Woodlands, Jefferson Ridge, etc. look amazing, I think the convenience factor wins out. How does one go about reserving a place? I realize this is a pretty lazy question (and so I'm headed to their website myself right now), but I felt like I remember hearing some cautions about not using certain websites to e-sign the lease or put down a deposit--is there anyone who did this recently who'd be kind enough to weigh in?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, after an undefeated regular season, my softball team was knocked out of the playoffs 11-10 in a horrendously umpired game...sigh.

iamjikem

Postby iamjikem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:07 pm

gladiator wrote:Well, after an undefeated regular season, my softball team was knocked out of the playoffs 11-10 in a horrendously umpired game...sigh.

Who umpires the games, anyway?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm

iamjikem wrote:
gladiator wrote:Well, after an undefeated regular season, my softball team was knocked out of the playoffs 11-10 in a horrendously umpired game...sigh.

Who umpires the games, anyway?

NGSL (North Grounds Softball League) members...unfortunately NGSL is half social club/half softball organization so we ended up getting stuck with one who was clearly admitted for the social club aspect. The commissioner was on the other team and was aware how awful it was to have her umpiring such a heated game.

green

Postby green » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:21 pm

rsr28 wrote:
gladiator wrote:
green wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:If we arrive during the summer and want an ID card, do we just need to visit the UVA ID office?

I partly want an ID card because I usually clip some sort of ID onto a belt loop, but having a UVA ID also apparently gets you 5% off at Kroger and Harris Teeter according to the UVA page.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too if possible. I might be coming early and would want to use some of the facilities (gym, practice rooms in the music building, etc), which I assume you need an ID for.

I believe you can use the gyms once you get an ID and you can get an ID early.

Last year you could NOT use the gym until a certain date (like August 12 or something) even if you had an ID.

So does anyone know if we can actually get an ID if we arrive early? I only ask because I'm a musician and I would need the ID if I want to use the practice facilities (unless anyone really, really wants to hear me in Ivy Gardens). My lease starts mid July, so I'd becoming some time between then and August.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Weird question on softball...is bunting frowned upon?

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm

omg wrote:So...

Yes!!!! I have contacted the financial aid office about this, and they keep asking me if I've submitted my FAFSA, and I tell them yes, and they say, oh...we'll look for that, and then they send me a new email saying my information is up, but it's not!

I'm relieved I'm not the only one, but I really wish they'd just sort out both of our information!

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Weird question on softball...is bunting frowned upon?

I will have a big frown upon my face if anybody bunts (basically I will look like my avatar), unless they are incredibly unathletic.

EDIT: And how are pitches called? At my undergrad home plate was part of a bigger surrounding mat and any pitch that hit it coming down from above the batter's shoulder height was called a strike.

greygoose

Postby greygoose » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 pm

bunting is not allowed. plus you'll get laughed out of the field if you do that. though i need a rule check...gladiator?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Weird question on softball...is bunting frowned upon?

I will have a big frown upon my face if anybody bunts (basically I will look like my avatar), unless they are incredibly unathletic.

EDIT: And how are pitches called? At my undergrad home plate was part of a bigger surrounding mat and any pitch that hit it coming down from above the batter's shoulder height was called a strike.

No bunting. Strike zone is I believe front shoulder, back hip on the arc.

JS, I hope that was just an inquiry and not something you had considered attempting. You were supposed to be my secret 1L ringer next year.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 pm

bunting in softball really? its going all of what 20mph....even i can hit it and i was forced to bunt growing up for fastpitch because it was the easiest way for me to get on base

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 pm

showNprove wrote:

That hurts. I hope it doesn't negatively impact your finals.

I had a final this morning, seemed pretty easy, but a number of people I talked to said the same so we'll see what happens with the curve. 3 to go.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”