UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
EaglesXLIV

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EaglesXLIV » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:28 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:Thanks for all the info.

The only reason I was going to get a new license is because the picture I have now is from when I was 15 (I'll be 23 in June)... so it is really outdated. I also still have the vertical license. Both of those facts combined mean whenever I try to buy anything age restricted or go to the airport my license gets examined for minutes and held up to lights and all kinds of stuff. I guess my point is I'm getting a new license anyway so I didn't know if it was better to put the Cville address or leave my home address. What is everyone else doing?

On that note, yesterday I was shopping with my Mom and she suggested I get something and I said "No, I'm going to wait until I move." The sales associate overheard and asked if I was going to be starting college in the fall. UGH.

Wow, that's odd. In my state, the DMV requires everyone to get a new license every year until they turn 18, including a new picture every year. I didn't know that requirements were very different in various states.

My AZ license doesn't need to be renewed until 2050...

Haha, last year when my friend from AZ turned 21 we went to the ABC store and he showed me his ID. If I was someone checking licenses at a bar I'd be a little suspecting of a photo of someone when they were 15 years old and look NOTHING like they do now.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Yea, I don't look anything like my almost 8 year old picture. It was from the day I turned 15, so I look like a kid pretty much. Every time I go to the airport I get stuck at the ID check for EVER. They always bend it and put a light on it and look at me funny for like 5 minutes.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:54 pm

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:Yea, I don't look anything like my almost 8 year old picture. It was from the day I turned 15, so I look like a kid pretty much. Every time I go to the airport I get stuck at the ID check for EVER. They always bend it and put a light on it and look at me funny for like 5 minutes.

Do you have a passport?

Yes, but when I'm traveling domestically I don't like to take it because I'm always afraid I will lose it and it's kind of bulky to carry around if I don't need it.

wheelan

Postby wheelan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi!

So, I've been reading TLS since January, but this is my first post. I've finally made up my mind and have settled on UVA. Now, I've got to figure out a place to live. I am wondering if there's anyone out there looking for a roommate? I'm a girl, but am not opposed to living with a guy. Also, I'm coming straight from undergrad, if that makes a difference. Generally, I'm a very laid back (yet also very clean) person.

Umm, shoot me a message if you've got any questions or advice.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

We've written pretty extensively about places to live on here. I thought I'd save you the trouble and re-post one of the summaries I found. Also, I am fairly picky so don't write anything off because I said it was crappy. I couldn't find Limegreen's opinions about The Woodlands but they look fantastic and several 1Ls seem to be living there. They only have 2 and 3 brs though. Don't know how well my attempt to copy and paste was but here it is and hope it helps:

On another note, I am in Charlottesville right now and spent ALL day looking at apartments. I figured I'd continue the trend and relay my thoughts to y'all. Also, I should say that I am looking for a one bedroom and I have a cat.

Ivy: $775-820 (with den for $820). No pets allowed. Plus, rent includes absolutely no utilities so you have to pay water, sewer, trash, electric, cable, and internet. This was an automatic no for me because where I go, Tonks (cat) goes.

UHeights: $729-765 (w/den $765) My parents used to live here back in 1975 so they insisted we look at it. I got the feeling it was a lot of undergraduate housing. The apartments were okay and rent was decent (includes water, sewer and trash), but there were little annoying things. For one, they had accordion metal closet doors that were impossible to maneuver. They have a $300 non-refundable pet deposit PLUS $35/month. Also, the kitchens looked like they dated back to 1975.

Barracks West: $740-770 (plus $63/mo for water, sewer, and trash. Tenant pays electric, cable and internet). This is farther away - would have to drive to school which doesn't bother me. These were alright except that all the one bedrooms were on the bottom floor, underneath the town homes. I didn't get to see the inside of a one bedroom. Instead, I saw a two bedroom and it had a crazy layout with the kitchen in a little secluded hallway. I liked these better than Uheights or Ivy though.

Barclay Place: $980-1175 (includes EVERYTHING but electric). We just happened upon this place. Although rent is $1050 for a regular sized one bedroom apartment (what they call "Small One Bedroom") it includes everything but electric (including a washer and dryer in unit and cable w/HBO). They have a nice pool, workout facility, sauna, and get this - a place to wash and vacuum your car! Plus, the leasing agent Fran offers you homemade cookies and fresh buttery popcorn on arrival! Clearly it doesn't take much to win me over...Pets: $350 REFUNDABLE pet deposit. No monthly fee.

Carriage Hill: $970-1025 (w/o an attached garage). These are my favorite and I think I want to live here even though it is the farthest away. I felt like I was in the mountains. The apartments are really nice, workout facility was big, pool, hot tub, tanning bed (I am not much of a tanner since I am uber pale, but still...), pool table, ping pong, tennis courts, basketball courts, and a business center opened 24 hrs a day with free printing/faxing/copying. Also, I love to cook and these had great kitchens with a full-size pantry. The washer and dryers were newer and had great shelving above them to store stuff. You have to pay electric, cable, and internet here. Pets: $150 non-refundable pet deposit plus $15/month.

Jefferson Ridge: $1095-1,175. These are my other favorite. Includes everything but electric (cable w/HBO, washer and dryer in apartment). If you get an apartment on the second floor you have a gorgeous view. These have built-in shelves and a desk in the dining room that are quite functional. The closet space was lacking the bedroom, but nothing to cry about. If you have a dog they have a 64,000 sq/ft dog park. HUGE workout facility, year-round pool, pool table, etc. Pets: $395 non-refundable deposit. No weight limit. You can have one dog and two cats.

Thus, although I had originally intended on living as close to school as I can get (should I choose UVA in the upcoming weeks), I think I've decided I'd rather pay the extra money and have a nicer apartment that actually feels like home. If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me and I will try to answer them.

Thanks crazyinalabama.

I got to visit a current student's apartment in Ivy. Parking seemed okay (maybe not a wealth of empty spaces, but enough to get by). The exterior looks dated but the apartment I was in seemed modern enough and not dingy at all. The kitchen is rather small, but other than that, it makes for decent student housing (at a price).

To add to the list:
Jeffersonian Apartments:
1 bedroom (575 sq. feet): $670-$700
1 bedroom w/ den (685 sq. feet): $710-$740
2 bedroom (795 sq. feet): $770-$800
2 bedroom w/ den (925 sq. feet): $810-$840
Furnished: $35 per month

Dated but functional in appearance.

(Easy) walking distance to the law school. Barracks shopping center just down the road. Swimming pool on premises and coin-operated laundry with cash/change machine. All apartments have patio/balcony. Water, trash, and wireless Internet included. Electricity and cable are not included.

Pet fee of $20.00 per pet, per month; max of two pets (cats, dogs, birds), aged 2+ years. Weight limit for dogs in 50 lbs (ground floor) and 25 lbs (ground/second floor). You can't have aggressive-breed dogs (rottweilers, GSDs, pit bulls, wolves, etc.). Deposit $150 to $300 depending on weight.

Looks like I'll be living here next year; I think they're running out of spots (or have run out of spots) for next academic year.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Crazy, are you still thinking about Jefferson Ridge instead of CH?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:54 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Some quick housing questions:

1.) What are the school's graduate housing options like? When would we need to apply for this?

2.) When would we need to apply for housing in Ivy Gardens?

Still not sure if I'm attending, so I was wondering how quickly I need to sort the housing stuff out once making a decision.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:55 pm

I could be wrong, but I think I can answer your questions.

mijahe wrote:1.) What are the school's graduate housing options like? When would we need to apply for this?

2.) When would we need to apply for housing in Ivy Gardens?

1) The school's graduate housing has shared bedrooms. So, basically, it sucks. I think all of us are past that stage of our lives (with the exception of those who are sharing rooms with a s/o).

2) At the ASD, the current students said that Ivy filled up in early May. So, I would get on it soon.

kp1981

Postby kp1981 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm

SHARED BEDROOMS?! OMG, are you for real?

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:49 pm

kp1981 wrote:SHARED BEDROOMS?! OMG, are you for real?

i believe it is 2 rooms to one bathroom with 2 grad students in each....most freshman dont have it that bad lol

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm

limegreen wrote:Crazy, are you still thinking about Jefferson Ridge instead of CH?

Ahhh I can't decide...I complained about it on our "top secret" facebook message board. Closet space or location/mountain views?!?! Decisions decisions. Really I should just suck it up, have a roommate, and live in true style at Woodlands...

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:Crazy, are you still thinking about Jefferson Ridge instead of CH?

Ahhh I can't decide...I complained about it on our "top secret" facebook message board. Closet space or location/mountain views?!?! Decisions decisions. Really I should just suck it up, have a roommate, and live in true style at Woodlands...

I think that's your best bet, it's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to living there, I really liked it when I visited and it just felt like somewhere I would enjoy being. The more the merrier!

Plus, if you get a roommie and get a two bedroom, it's going to end up costing much less than a one bedroom would have.

EaglesXLIV

Postby EaglesXLIV » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm

applepie wrote:
kp1981 wrote:SHARED BEDROOMS?! OMG, are you for real?

i believe it is 2 rooms to one bathroom with 2 grad students in each....most freshman dont have it that bad lol

The rooms in Copeley are indeed doubles. Four people in two rooms, lol.

http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... &type=grad

crazyinalabama wrote:

I wish I had access to this top secret group :(. Thesealocust, I sent you a PM earlier in case you haven't seen it

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:08 pm

^^^ I'm waiting on access too. I think there's a background screening process or something.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm

You have to PM your SSN to speed up the process.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Why don't you guys just appoint more than 1 admin?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:

Woodlands ftw!

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm

iceberger wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:

Woodlands ftw!

Sigh...anyone out there want to live in Woodlands with me and a fluffy cat that likes to sleep on your head (while massaging/clawing it) and demands access to your bedroom if she likes you by scratching on the door all night? Anyone? Did I mention she attacks randomly without warning? She's really not as sweet as her picture looks...

I suppose I'll resign myself to Carriage Hill and come visit y'all constantly at The Woodlands. Then, if anyone needs to store things at my place I will have plenty of room with the three or four closets =) I did call and ask them for July 1st last week though!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Anyone else going to be at the Woodlands before August? I guess I will get to scope out all of the amenities before everyone else invades!

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 pm

limegreen wrote:Anyone else going to be at the Woodlands before August? I guess I will get to scope out all of the amenities before everyone else invades!

They're giving me an August 7th move in date, which I think is kinda lame. :? I really wanted to move in around the 1st and have the extra week or so there to explore around before school starts.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”