UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
limegreen

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 am

I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings. We just got one near where I live a year or so ago and it's always too crowded to get in!

Also, completely off topic: Right now, my car is in my Mom's name and I'm on her insurance and everything. I also have my DL address at my permament, home address (in VA). Is there any reason to change any of that when I move? I was thinking I should change my DL, but does that mean I need to change the other stuff? Also, does anyone know if you get kicked off your parents' auto insurance at a certain point like health insurance, or is that generally not the case?

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am

limegreen wrote:Also, does anyone know if you get kicked off your parents' auto insurance at a certain point like health insurance, or is that generally not the case?

No, you don't.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 am

limegreen wrote:I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings. We just got one near where I live a year or so ago and it's always too crowded to get in!

Also, completely off topic: Right now, my car is in my Mom's name and I'm on her insurance and everything. I also have my DL address at my permament, home address (in VA). Is there any reason to change any of that when I move? I was thinking I should change my DL, but does that mean I need to change the other stuff? Also, does anyone know if you get kicked off your parents' auto insurance at a certain point like health insurance, or is that generally not the case?

I don't think you really need to pay to get your license changed unless it would make you feel better. The only problem I've ever had in the past three years is that in Milwaukee you have to have a WI license w/current address and WI tags in order to get a day parking permit. I live downtown, though, and so the parking nazis are in full force. Since you are living in Woodlands, I can't think of any scenarios where you'd need a current address on your license. That's just my own two cents though - I hate the DMV and avoid it at all costs!

I know there are several vineyards in the area - Does anyone know if there are any good microbreweries as well?

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am

ILikeIke wrote:
limegreen wrote:Also, does anyone know if you get kicked off your parents' auto insurance at a certain point like health insurance, or is that generally not the case?

No, you don't.

In undergrad, I also got a "good student discount" with my dad's car insurance; he claims they will accept it for law school...I think it's funny that when I'm 26 I'll still be submitting "report cards" to the insurance companies...

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 am

crazyinalabama wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:

No, you don't.

In undergrad, I also got a "good student discount" with my dad's car insurance; he claims they will accept it for law school...I think it's funny that when I'm 26 I'll still be submitting "report cards" to the insurance companies...

I'd never thought of doing that, but I will definitely have to look into it. I didn't get a "good student discount" after high school, but I also never thought to ask if that was an option.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for all the info.

The only reason I was going to get a new license is because the picture I have now is from when I was 15 (I'll be 23 in June)... so it is really outdated. I also still have the vertical license. Both of those facts combined mean whenever I try to buy anything age restricted or go to the airport my license gets examined for minutes and held up to lights and all kinds of stuff. I guess my point is I'm getting a new license anyway so I didn't know if it was better to put the Cville address or leave my home address. What is everyone else doing?

On that note, yesterday I was shopping with my Mom and she suggested I get something and I said "No, I'm going to wait until I move." The sales associate overheard and asked if I was going to be starting college in the fall. UGH.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am

limegreen wrote:Thanks for all the info.

The only reason I was going to get a new license is because the picture I have now is from when I was 15 (I'll be 23 in June)... so it is really outdated. I also still have the vertical license. Both of those facts combined mean whenever I try to buy anything age restricted or go to the airport my license gets examined for minutes and held up to lights and all kinds of stuff. I guess my point is I'm getting a new license anyway so I didn't know if it was better to put the Cville address or leave my home address. What is everyone else doing?

On that note, yesterday I was shopping with my Mom and she suggested I get something and I said "No, I'm going to wait until I move." The sales associate overheard and asked if I was going to be starting college in the fall. UGH.

Wow, that's odd. In my state, the DMV requires everyone to get a new license every year until they turn 18, including a new picture every year. I didn't know that requirements were very different in various states.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am

Loan question: Is it important whatsoever to get a checking account with the bank we choose our gradPLUS loan from? For example, I was thinking about opening a Wachovia account because it will be useful to have an account with a bank that exists in Charlottesville. Would it provide any advantage to choose Wachovia as my lender for the gradplus loan?

Secondly, I plan on closing my current bank account when I move to Virginia. Is this going to mess me up with the loans? Do I need to go ahead and open my new checking account now so I have all that info when accepting the loans?

I haven't gone through the process of accepting the loans on SIS - anyone else? Do we have a deadline?

Sorry if these questions are stupid or have already been asked. I'm clueless when it comes to finances (even though I work for a financial planner...).

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

In VA you have to renew every eight years for adults, I don't know what it was for teenagers, but they just mailed me a new license, I didn't have to go in and get a new picture. I am pretty sure they are coming out with new IDs in July anyway, so I'll probably wait for that. The weird thing is the pictures are going to be black and white now instead of color, and have one big picture and one little picture. They are pretty weird looking.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citiz ... ewlook.asp

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:40 am

limegreen wrote:In VA you have to renew every eight years for adults, I don't know what it was for teenagers, but they just mailed me a new license, I didn't have to go in and get a new picture. I am pretty sure they are coming out with new IDs in July anyway, so I'll probably wait for that. The weird thing is the pictures are going to be black and white now instead of color, and have one big picture and one little picture. They are pretty weird looking.

finally getting my horizontal 21+ license. now i can start feeling old.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 am

Don't worry, people aren't good at guessing ages. (Like those guys who say "She told me she was 18!") Last summer my parents were buying some shelves from a guy who turned out to be one of my HS friend's fathers. When I got there, he said "Do you go to [the local HS]?". I'm 22.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 am

gladiator wrote:

Don't worry, people aren't good at guessing ages. (Like those guys who say "She told me she was 18!") Last summer my parents were buying some shelves from a guy who turned out to be one of my HS friend's fathers. When I got there, he said "Do you go to [the local HS]?". I'm 22.

Yea, I guess you're right. This guy was probably in his 40s or 50s, but he looked shocked when I said I graduated college last year. I will get worried when I start getting carded to see rated R movies.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 am

limegreen wrote:In VA you have to renew every eight years for adults, I don't know what it was for teenagers, but they just mailed me a new license, I didn't have to go in and get a new picture. I am pretty sure they are coming out with new IDs in July anyway, so I'll probably wait for that. The weird thing is the pictures are going to be black and white now instead of color, and have one big picture and one little picture. They are pretty weird looking.

Interesting, what a colorful drivers license. And yeah, two pics is pretty odd.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am

So am I the only one thinking about putting my Cville address on my ID? I left mine the same in undergrad because it was only 30 min away, but I don't really know the ramifications either way. Do you have to switch your driver's license to switch your voter's registration? I know, I come up with really random and stupid questions.

hotburrito

Postby hotburrito » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 am

limegreen wrote:
gladiator wrote:

Yea, I guess you're right. This guy was probably in his 40s or 50s, but he looked shocked when I said I graduated college last year. I will get worried when I start getting carded to see rated R movies.

when i went to superbad with my 17 y.o. little brother last year, i got carded and he didn't. there is no justice.

and that is why i decided to be a lawyer.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am

hotburrito wrote:
limegreen wrote:
gladiator wrote:

when i went to superbad with my 17 y.o. little brother last year, i got carded and he didn't. there is no justice.

and that is why i decided to be a lawyer.

Haha. I hope that's what your PS was about.

kguilf99

Postby kguilf99 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 am

More housing questions...
So Arlington Condos and Arlington Townhomes have been mentioned in a few housing related posts, but I haven't seen much about Arlington Court Apartments. Is this a reasonable place to live? Close to the law school, reasonably priced, not shady, etc? Thanks!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

kguilf99 wrote:More housing questions...
So Arlington Condos and Arlington Townhomes have been mentioned in a few housing related posts, but I haven't seen much about Arlington Court Apartments. Is this a reasonable place to live? Close to the law school, reasonably priced, not shady, etc? Thanks!

Everything on Arlington is super close (walking distance) to the law school. I wouldn't call any of the places shady, but they are probably 30+ years old and it does show. They are all owned by different people though, so it depends on the complex/owner. I went in an Arlington Townhouse and the kitchen looked like it was straight out of the 70s (or even earlier?). They seemed okay other than they were really dated and relatively small, compared to modern standards. Lots of law students live there though, and it couldn't be any more convenient.
Last edited by limegreen on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kguilf99

Postby kguilf99 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 am

limegreen wrote:

Everything on Arlington is super close (walking distance) to the law school. I wouldn't call any of the places shady, but they are probably 30+ years old and it does show. They are all owned by different people though, so it depends on the complex/owner. I went in an Arlington Townhouse and the kitchen looked like it was straight out of the 70s (or even earlier?). They seemed okay other than they were really dated and relatively small, compared to modern standards. Lots of law students live there though, and it couldn't be any more convenient.

Thanks. So is there one place to find out what's available or since they're all independenly owned do you just have to see what you can find in listings?

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 am

showNprove wrote:Driver's License question:

Do I have to register my car in VA in order to get VA driver's license, or vice-versa?

I don't know about this, but I've heard that the VA DMV is a pain. Did anyone who went to the first ASD on March 13th hear something about keeping out of state driver's license because it's cheaper if you get a speeding ticket or something like that? I think it was at the student panel.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am

kguilf99 wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Thanks. So is there one place to find out what's available or since they're all independenly owned do you just have to see what you can find in listings?

Arlington Court Apartments:
http://www.brac.com/details.cfm?config=2370

Arlington Court Townhomes:
--LinkRemoved--

Arlington Court Condos:
These are all independently owned, there is no one place to find out if they are available. Somewhere in this housing guide there is a phone number for one of the owners I think and some info.
rells.org/Documents/RELLS%20Charlottesville%20Housing%20Guide.pdf

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:39 am

ILikeIke wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:

No, you don't.

I'd never thought of doing that, but I will definitely have to look into it. I didn't get a "good student discount" after high school, but I also never thought to ask if that was an option.

I think the only catch with this is that most insurance companies require that you still be a dependent of your parents. My parents and I both have USAA, but when I started working full time (and my dad went to get an umbrella policy), USAA realized that I was no longer eligible to be on my parents insurance and I had to get my own policy... Once you hit 25 though, insurance gets to be relatively reasonably priced.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 am

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings. We just got one near where I live a year or so ago and it's always too crowded to get in!

I don't think you really need to pay to get your license changed unless it would make you feel better. The only problem I've ever had in the past three years is that in Milwaukee you have to have a WI license w/current address and WI tags in order to get a day parking permit. I live downtown, though, and so the parking nazis are in full force. Since you are living in Woodlands, I can't think of any scenarios where you'd need a current address on your license. That's just my own two cents though - I hate the DMV and avoid it at all costs!

I know there are several vineyards in the area - Does anyone know if there are any good microbreweries as well?

As far as microbreweries go, I'm a big fan of the beers at South Street (right at South St and 2nd street by the downtown mall). Their hefeweizen is one of the best I've ever had and I believe on Tuesday nights they still have the $2 pints... The only other local brewery that I can think of off hand is Starr Hill - but I've never been but so big of a fan of their beers.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:11 pm

jdn012 wrote:

Wow, that's odd. In my state, the DMV requires everyone to get a new license every year until they turn 18, including a new picture every year. I didn't know that requirements were very different in various states.

My AZ license doesn't need to be renewed until 2050...

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”