UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
showNprove

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by showNprove » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 pm

limegreen wrote:
gladiator wrote:
geoffree wrote:Free ipods? Really, I thought that there would be some major incentive to purchase the bundles via the school... like much better price, software, loaners, techi service.
This was last year so my memory might be off but I thought you could either buy the bundle from the school for $300 less than it would cost from Apple or buy from Apple and get a $300 IPod free so it made no difference.
Do you remember when the bundles came out? Does that count the Apple educational discount that's like 10% or something too?

Anyone else read this on the website though: "We fully expect to continue to offer a Mac Bundle to the Class of 2012, but the final decision on that has not yet been made."

From what I've read on the Mac Bundles it seems like a good deal, I hope they do decide to continue it...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Bundles I think came out in May but most people didn't (couldn't?) actually pick up the computers until August

Not sure about the 10% discount

Bundles last year were Dells and Macs I think.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 pm

gladiator wrote:
geoffree wrote:Dayum, 300$ is a lot for an ipod. I think I'd go with the discount.
Well that's the IPod Touch, regular IPods are cheaper.
I know I know... I still wouldn't pay 300 for it.

applepie

Bronze

Post by applepie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:18 pm

geoffree wrote:
gladiator wrote:
geoffree wrote:Dayum, 300$ is a lot for an ipod. I think I'd go with the discount.
Well that's the IPod Touch, regular IPods are cheaper.
I know I know... I still wouldn't pay 300 for it.
especially considering you can get the phone for 200...the plan sucks but lots of people waste that kind of money anyway

or you pay bout 300 for a jail broken one

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:11 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:13 am

showNprove wrote:Does anyone else hate the alphabetical listings in USNWR? Even though they are tied, seeing UVA listed below Northwestern AND Duke makes my eyes hurt.
It is painful. Oh well, applications at NW and Duke were not up 20% this year, and combined with UVA's amazing SCOTUS clerk placement recently, I have a feeling things will change soon. Those two schools should feel honored to have the opportunity to spend a year tied with UVA.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:17 am

showNprove wrote:Does anyone else hate the alphabetical listings in USNWR? Even though they are tied, seeing UVA listed below Northwestern AND Duke makes my eyes hurt.
But they're not actually listed alphabetically, are they? The lists people are typing up have other tied schools un-alphabetical, e.g. W&M before GW and this:
49. SMU
49. Cardozo

hotburrito

New

Post by hotburrito » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 am

omg wrote:
But they're not actually listed alphabetically, are they? The lists people are typing up have other tied schools un-alphabetical, e.g. W&M before GW and this:
49. SMU
49. Cardozo
maybe it is by the schools' full names?

college of william and mary/george washington university

southern methodist university/yeshiva university

also... as to the rankings? whatever whatever. i went to an insecure, on-the-cusp undergrad, and i am totally sick of this stuff. anyways, duke is clearly an inferior school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:26 am

Chin-up guys.

Gladiator, you've been the biggest help and adviser in this thread ... let us know if there's any buzz at school regarding the rankings. :mrgreen:

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 am

I don't know why there's any reaction at all to UVA's ranking. The only thing that happened was Duke jumped up to tie us. No school leapfrogged us. We're still tied with Northwestern, and just behind Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Chicago, etc.

Am I missing something?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 am

hotburrito wrote:
omg wrote:
49. SMU
49. Cardozo
maybe it is by the schools' full names?

college of william and mary/george washington university

southern methodist university/yeshiva university

also... as to the rankings? whatever whatever. i went to an insecure, on-the-cusp undergrad, and i am totally sick of this stuff. anyways, duke is clearly an inferior school.
I hear ya. This is the first I've ever gotten caught up in this sort of thing and I'm already feeling sick. Rankings Spankings.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:30 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I don't know why there's any reaction at all to UVA's ranking. The only thing that happened was Duke jumped up to tie us. No school leapfrogged us. We're still tied with Northwestern, and just behind Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Chicago, etc.

Am I missing something?
The thing that you're missing is that Michigan and Berkeley were suPPOSED to go down and UVA UP UP and AWAAAY :lol:

edit: The Judge/Lawyer assessment is a PLUS! Tied for 2nd Wooooooo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 am

UVA ranking fell in the new 2010 rankings

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=69263

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:31 am

ak9786 wrote:UVA ranking fell in the new 2010 rankings

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=69263

^^ See last ~20 posts

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I don't know why there's any reaction at all to UVA's ranking. The only thing that happened was Duke jumped up to tie us. No school leapfrogged us. We're still tied with Northwestern, and just behind Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Chicago, etc.

Am I missing something?
There hasn't really been any reaction on this board and definitely not a negative one...unless you count one person saying that he wishes the rankings weren't alphabetical. In response to what he said and the list itself as quoted here, I was just pointing out that they may indeed not be alphabetical.
Last edited by omg on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am

UVA is somewhere between 8th and 10th pretty much every year lately, not something to be concerned about. These minor changes are things that Chicken Little prospective students care about, not law firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:25 am

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:37 am

YCrevolution wrote:

Am I missing something?
+1, UVA is still top 10 and basically in the same position relative to other schools. I also have faith that the class of 2012 has some impressive stats for next year. :D

I think the most interesting changes (or lack thereof) were UNC climbing back up to #30, Berkeley keeping their #6 spot, GWU falling to #28, Indiana moving up to #23, and Davis moving up to #35.
+1

Now students at 12 schools can say they are going to a Top 10 school. hehe :)
And, I really like the fact that our peers have a high opinion of UVA grads (i.e. lawyers/judges assessment)

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:18 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicomedes

New

Post by Nicomedes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Hey, just thought I'd ask if anyone around here is still looking for a roommate for next year. I just didn't really love Ivy Gardens when I stopped by, and so I'm looking a little further out for a "nicer" place to live. I'm looking currently at Jefferson Ridge (about 3.5 miles from the law school) and Norcross Station (downtown area), but people seem to hold Woodlands in particularly high regard, and since there are no 1 bedrooms, I figured I would see if anyone considering moving into Woodlands is looking for a roommate.

About me: 22 year old guy from Maryland, clean but by no means a neat freak, I find that I don't spend too much time IN my apartment wherever I live, if that makes any sense. Uh, not too sure what to say, pretty laid back, total sports kid. If you have any specific questions, or anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 pm

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 pm

YCrevolution wrote:In other news, just to show how widely known rankings are to the lay person:

Conversation today with a person I knew back from high school (note that I didn't say "friend"). As should become readily apparent, he lives in NC.
Him: So you got any plans after graduation?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to the University of Virginia for law school.
Him [serious]: Oh... [pause] good for you. Did you apply to UNC? It's a better school isn't it? How about Campbell? Is Virginia as good as Campbell [T4 law school in central NC with a Christian bent]?
Me: Um, UVA is usually considered better than UNC. And UNC is a lot better than Campbell.
Him: Really? Campbell is opening a new law school campus in Raleigh [Raleigh, NC; they're currently in some backwoods town called Wiggins, NC], and my cousin who goes there says they're a great law school.
Me: Well, I did early decision at UVA, so I'm afraid I'm committed to going either way. But I'm glad your cousin likes Campbell.

In the hierarchy of the lay man's perception of NC law schools: UNC = Duke > Campbell = Wake Forest. However, Campbell is considered better than most other non-NC states' law schools. Also everyone seems to have some relative at Campbell Law.
I've had similar conversations with friends and family in Pittsburgh. You can just insert Pitt for UNC and Duquesne for Campbell. I'm just happy my immediate family understood the difference, otherwise I would have gotten frustrated very easily.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:46 pm

a.williams wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:In other news, just to show how widely known rankings are to the lay person:

Conversation today with a person I knew back from high school (note that I didn't say "friend"). As should become readily apparent, he lives in NC.
Him: So you got any plans after graduation?
Me: Yeah, I'm going to the University of Virginia for law school.
Him [serious]: Oh... [pause] good for you. Did you apply to UNC? It's a better school isn't it? How about Campbell? Is Virginia as good as Campbell [T4 law school in central NC with a Christian bent]?
Me: Um, UVA is usually considered better than UNC. And UNC is a lot better than Campbell.
Him: Really? Campbell is opening a new law school campus in Raleigh [Raleigh, NC; they're currently in some backwoods town called Wiggins, NC], and my cousin who goes there says they're a great law school.
Me: Well, I did early decision at UVA, so I'm afraid I'm committed to going either way. But I'm glad your cousin likes Campbell.

In the hierarchy of the lay man's perception of NC law schools: UNC = Duke > Campbell = Wake Forest. However, Campbell is considered better than most other non-NC states' law schools. Also everyone seems to have some relative at Campbell Law.
I've had similar conversations with friends and family in Pittsburgh. You can just insert Pitt for UNC and Duquesne for Campbell. I'm just happy my immediate family understood the difference, otherwise I would have gotten frustrated very easily.
Wow, you can insert my state schools into this discussion too. I even had someone recommend I go to Cooley the other day because their ex goes there and says it's great.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”