UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

limegreen wrote:Do we have to buy a law bundle? What are the pros/cons of doing so? I've never purchased a computer through school, I was just planning on buying a new MacBook sometime this summer. Is that not the right thing to do?


You don't have to buy a bundle. I got one. I think it was around $1750 though I don't recall if that was with or without the printer. So far everything's been fine with it and it's a plus to have the support from the tech people and a free loaner incase anything goes wrong with your computer while they fix it.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:48 am

limegreen wrote:Do we have to buy a law bundle? What are the pros/cons of doing so? I've never purchased a computer through school, I was just planning on buying a new MacBook sometime this summer. Is that not the right thing to do?


For what it's worth, i just bought a macbook a couple months ago because my old one broke and i couldn't wait any longer for a laptop...i haven't had a single problem with the computer and it's been amazing, i wouldn't hesistate to buy a macbook unless your waiting for the back 2 school discounts which isn't a bad idea.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 am

Oh and I already had a copy of microsoft office for Mac and i didn't want to pay for it when i didn't need it. If my laptop crashes during finals though i may rue my decision.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:56 am

This raises a question that has been bothering me: if our laptops crap out in the middle of an exam, what does the school (or the professor) do to help? Give us the rest of our time to finish once we have our equipment ready to go? It seems like, if we're bound by the honor code, the school is also bound to honor a legitimate request for time since it's a given that we're not lying or cheating.

Srsly, I'm now going to have a recurring nightmars in which my comp crashes in the middle of my final.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:58 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:This raises a question that has been bothering me: if our laptops crap out in the middle of an exam, what does the school (or the professor) do to help? Give us the rest of our time to finish once we have our equipment ready to go? It seems like, if we're bound by the honor code, the school is also bound to honor a legitimate request for time since it's a given that we're not lying or cheating.

Srsly, I'm now going to have a recurring nightmars in which my comp crashes in the middle of my final.


I had a dream last night where it was my first day of class at UVA but i hadn't prepared at all and everyone else had. It was terrible.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:12 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:31 am

My current laptop is too slow and unreliable. For normal activities (like posting on TLS!) its fine, but for exams, I want something that runs flawlessly, so I need to get a new one (preferably one that will be able to run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3).

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:38 am

ILikeIke wrote:
AllAmericanGirl wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:
AllAmericanGirl wrote:I am all for hiking, winery, VA Beach and DC trips (I lived in DC/NOVA for the last 4 years)! I'm moving into Ivy at the end of July...and definitely want to make use of "freedom" while we still have it!

Also, I know this is a long way off...but if there are any skiers/snowboarders out there, I'll be making day trips to Wintergreen, which looks about 45 min away. It is fake skiing...but better than nothing!!


I'm not planning on skiing too often in law school (I can't justify the expense on borrowed money.), but you could definitely talk me into going with you once or twice a season!


Cool! I figure there won't be too much time anyway, at least the first year...but I have to get at least a few days in. I'm trying to hit 25 days this season...have to enjoy my fake retirement while I can!


Ah, I'm jealous, the season around here ended long ago. I'm also jealous that you're definitely skiing much better mountains.


I'm entering this conversation a bit late but as to skiing:

wintergreen, which is 45 minutes away, has dirt cheap season passes - about 200 bucks

snowshoe, which is about 1.5 hours away in west virginia, has cheap student season passes - about 300 bucks - and has awesome skiing for the midatlantic (its no jackson hole, but its really not much worse than new england skiing)

User avatar
J-Rod
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby J-Rod » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 am

I didn't get a bundle . . . got a $700 HP notebook, best buy warranty, etc. came with much bigger hard drive, more RAM, bigger screen, weighs less, etc. and haven't had a single problem

and I spent like $800 less than the bundle

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:30 am

bulldog4574 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:This raises a question that has been bothering me: if our laptops crap out in the middle of an exam, what does the school (or the professor) do to help? Give us the rest of our time to finish once we have our equipment ready to go? It seems like, if we're bound by the honor code, the school is also bound to honor a legitimate request for time since it's a given that we're not lying or cheating.

Srsly, I'm now going to have a recurring nightmars in which my comp crashes in the middle of my final.


I had a dream last night where it was my first day of class at UVA but i hadn't prepared at all and everyone else had. It was terrible.



woah, other people are having these dreams too?!

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am

napolnic wrote:Alright, I'm going to go ahead and defend PCs. What are you people talking about? Macs and PCs are just computers. Every now and again, they are going to have problems, both of them. Just today I watched a friend on a Mac as it almost ate her senior thesis. I also have another friend whose every mac purchase broke shortly after its one year warranty lapsed...

They both have their pros and cons. Being pretty is neither a pro nor con.

I guess my point, which is cleverly and entirely too subtlety buried, is that it doesn't matter. Pick what you want. If you want performance, get performance. If you want pretty, get pretty. If you want pretty performance, get pretty performance.

As Barack (should have) said four years ago, "Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a [PC] America and a [Mac] America; there's the United States of America.The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into [PCs} and [Macs]... But I've got news for them, too...We are one people."


Quoting Barack Obama is NOT the way to get me to give up on my Mac versus PC argument.

If you are worried about problems with a Mac, just get Apple Care. I'm going to keep my old laptop as a backup just in case sometime ever happens at exam time, but I don't think I'll ever need it.

I love my Mac. I am a convert 100%. I can't even use a PC anymore. Who wants to have to have to right click and all of that stuff? Two finger clicking and scrolling FTW.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 am

iceberger wrote:
bulldog4574 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:This raises a question that has been bothering me: if our laptops crap out in the middle of an exam, what does the school (or the professor) do to help? Give us the rest of our time to finish once we have our equipment ready to go? It seems like, if we're bound by the honor code, the school is also bound to honor a legitimate request for time since it's a given that we're not lying or cheating.

Srsly, I'm now going to have a recurring nightmars in which my comp crashes in the middle of my final.


I had a dream last night where it was my first day of class at UVA but i hadn't prepared at all and everyone else had. It was terrible.



woah, other people are having these dreams too?!


Yes we definitely are, though in my dream some nice random girl gave me her notes to read. I didn't have time to read them, but it was still a nice gesture. Apparently even in dreams the Virginia student body is awesome.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:38 am

Wow, I'm glad I'm not having these dreams yet. That sounds stressful!

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 am

bulldog4574 wrote:
Yes we definitely are, though in my dream some nice random girl gave me her notes to read. I didn't have time to read them, but it was still a nice gesture. Apparently even in dreams the Virginia student body is awesome.


mine are usually reminiscent of the guys first day of class in Paper Chase, but then break into running away from bears or something...

Nicomedes
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Nicomedes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, I guess this is my formal introduction to this thread. FINALLY chose UVA over Columbia and Chicago, and really quite excited about it, so I look forward to seeing all of you in the late summer!

Anyway, starting to look for housing now, and when I was down visiting UVA, I did not really care for Ivy Gardens. In my search, I found this place Jefferson Ridge, and while more expensive, the place looks beautiful. Does anyone familiar with the C'ville area, or any current students, know anything about the place? I had a brief phone conversation with the property manager, who said it was about a 10 minute drive, but I was wondering, is it possible to bike from Jefferson Ridge to the law school? I am used to biking just about everywhere, and I really would like a place within biking distance.

Anyway, any thoughts on that complex would be really appreciated!

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Ahh don't say that, i'm about to sign at Ivy Gardens! Would someone confirm that at least on the inside Ivy Gardens apartments are decent?

User avatar
geoffree
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Welcome and thumbs up on your law school choice :mrgreen:

Anyway, google maps shows Jefferson Ridge being 3.5 miles away by walking (4.7 mile drive), so I guess there is some kind of bike-friendly route. Maybe someone will come along with more info.

I plan on biking to the LS from about 2 miles away near the corner. Healthy transit ftw!

jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:Ahh don't say that, i'm about to sign at Ivy Gardens! Would someone confirm that at least on the inside Ivy Gardens apartments are decent?


It's fine inside. Is it older? yes. But it really wasn't that bad, at least the ones that I saw weren't too bad. the kitchen could use a bit of upgrading but if you're ok with that, then it really shouldn't be a problem.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Nicomedes wrote:Well, I guess this is my formal introduction to this thread. FINALLY chose UVA over Columbia and Chicago, and really quite excited about it, so I look forward to seeing all of you in the late summer!

Anyway, starting to look for housing now, and when I was down visiting UVA, I did not really care for Ivy Gardens. In my search, I found this place Jefferson Ridge, and while more expensive, the place looks beautiful. Does anyone familiar with the C'ville area, or any current students, know anything about the place? I had a brief phone conversation with the property manager, who said it was about a 10 minute drive, but I was wondering, is it possible to bike from Jefferson Ridge to the law school? I am used to biking just about everywhere, and I really would like a place within biking distance.

Anyway, any thoughts on that complex would be really appreciated!



I can't offer any advice on Jefferson Ridge, but congrats on the choice! I know that had to be difficult

User avatar
ndm2007
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:54 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby ndm2007 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:
ndm2007 wrote:Haha, awesome. I agree except for one caveat- Vista is miserable. I really couldn't care less about bells and whistles, I just want a stable operating system. I got a new computer a few months ago with Vista "Home Premium" and it constantly crashes, "blue screens," won't shut down, wont turn on, erases stuff, etc. So yeah, plan on downgrading to XP if you get a PC. I don't know if I would have gotten a mac in retrospect, but I now know that people are not exaggerating when they complain about Vista. Trust me- I'm a pretty low-maintenance non-picky type and Vista manages to piss me off at least twice a day.


That has to the hardware or some other piece of software. Vista itself is rock-solid. It does bring up a good point - by controlling the hardware that runs their software, apple creates products that function seamlessly. When every component in a PC is made by somebody different, then the OS has to wrangle programs from a zillion different authors, things get hairy. But I'm currently on a Vista PC that has been running for about a week and a half, folding proteins in the background for an academic project taxing its processor 50-100% at all times, without so much as a minor slowdown or crash.[quote]

lol, yeah should have added I don't know too much about computer stuff...I have a feeling I have some kind of driver incompatibility thats giving me problems.

In a way I wish we were given the option to write our exams...I think when I type I worry more about style versus substance since its so much easier to edit, re-work sentences, etc.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:26 pm

..

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:28 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
ndm2007 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
ndm2007 wrote:Haha, awesome. I agree except for one caveat- Vista is miserable. I really couldn't care less about bells and whistles, I just want a stable operating system. I got a new computer a few months ago with Vista "Home Premium" and it constantly crashes, "blue screens," won't shut down, wont turn on, erases stuff, etc. So yeah, plan on downgrading to XP if you get a PC. I don't know if I would have gotten a mac in retrospect, but I now know that people are not exaggerating when they complain about Vista. Trust me- I'm a pretty low-maintenance non-picky type and Vista manages to piss me off at least twice a day.


That has to the hardware or some other piece of software. Vista itself is rock-solid. It does bring up a good point - by controlling the hardware that runs their software, apple creates products that function seamlessly. When every component in a PC is made by somebody different, then the OS has to wrangle programs from a zillion different authors, things get hairy. But I'm currently on a Vista PC that has been running for about a week and a half, folding proteins in the background for an academic project taxing its processor 50-100% at all times, without so much as a minor slowdown or crash.


lol, yeah should have added I don't know too much about computer stuff...I have a feeling I have some kind of driver incompatibility thats giving me problems.

In a way I wish we were given the option to write our exams...I think when I type I worry more about style versus substance since its so much easier to edit, re-work sentences, etc.


Heh, I'm the opposite, I'm a typing machine and I'm extremely excited to be able to type an exam, never had that happen before. I've tried a couple of those typing test websites lately to try and work on my WPM since it sounds like that'll be a crucial skill come exam week.


Perhaps gladiator can clarify, but I've heard from multiple sources that if you type over a certain minimum speed (50-60 WPM??) then you will be fine. I don't think quantity matters as much as cohesion and content does.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Nicomedes wrote:Well, I guess this is my formal introduction to this thread. FINALLY chose UVA over Columbia and Chicago, and really quite excited about it, so I look forward to seeing all of you in the late summer!

Anyway, starting to look for housing now, and when I was down visiting UVA, I did not really care for Ivy Gardens. In my search, I found this place Jefferson Ridge, and while more expensive, the place looks beautiful. Does anyone familiar with the C'ville area, or any current students, know anything about the place? I had a brief phone conversation with the property manager, who said it was about a 10 minute drive, but I was wondering, is it possible to bike from Jefferson Ridge to the law school? I am used to biking just about everywhere, and I really would like a place within biking distance.

Anyway, any thoughts on that complex would be really appreciated!


Isn't Jefferson Ridge the one right next to Woodlands? If so, you might as well live in Woodlands since more law students live there and as far as I know they're almost identical complexes.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:14 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests