UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ILikeIke

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby ILikeIke » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 pm

AllAmericanGirl wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:
AllAmericanGirl wrote:I am all for hiking, winery, VA Beach and DC trips (I lived in DC/NOVA for the last 4 years)! I'm moving into Ivy at the end of July...and definitely want to make use of "freedom" while we still have it!

Also, I know this is a long way off...but if there are any skiers/snowboarders out there, I'll be making day trips to Wintergreen, which looks about 45 min away. It is fake skiing...but better than nothing!!

I'm not planning on skiing too often in law school (I can't justify the expense on borrowed money.), but you could definitely talk me into going with you once or twice a season!

Cool! I figure there won't be too much time anyway, at least the first year...but I have to get at least a few days in. I'm trying to hit 25 days this season...have to enjoy my fake retirement while I can!

Ah, I'm jealous, the season around here ended long ago. I'm also jealous that you're definitely skiing much better mountains.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:56 pm

limegreen wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:Ugh...could somebody just tell me what kind of laptop to buy? I'm trying to read reviews and make an informed decision, but when your only criteria are "not too heavy" and "full-size keyboard" you're left with a staggering, dare I say overwhelming?, number of options.

For the record, I currently have a Gateway, which I love, but it's over 4 years old. However, I've heard people complain about their Gateways breaking ridiculously quickly, so I'm a little hesitant to buy another one. Yeah, that should be on my list of criteria: unlikely to die in the middle of exams. That's really about it, though. I'm not a gamer, so all I need is to be able to get online, write a paper, and maybe play some music or a DVD. That's it.

MacBook, or, if you're feeling really adventurous, MacBook Pro.

Haha, okay, additional criterion: not a Mac. :D (I don't really have anything against Macs, I just don't think they're worth the price.)

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 pm

ILikeIke wrote:
limegreen wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:Ugh...could somebody just tell me what kind of laptop to buy? I'm trying to read reviews and make an informed decision, but when your only criteria are "not too heavy" and "full-size keyboard" you're left with a staggering, dare I say overwhelming?, number of options.

For the record, I currently have a Gateway, which I love, but it's over 4 years old. However, I've heard people complain about their Gateways breaking ridiculously quickly, so I'm a little hesitant to buy another one. Yeah, that should be on my list of criteria: unlikely to die in the middle of exams. That's really about it, though. I'm not a gamer, so all I need is to be able to get online, write a paper, and maybe play some music or a DVD. That's it.

Haha, okay, additional criterion: not a Mac. :D (I don't really have anything against Macs, I just don't think they're worth the price.)

I'd still pick a Mac. Seriously, I used to have a Gateway and I did the whole Dell thing, but nothing even begins to compare to a Mac. Don't knock it til you try it. They are more reliable, easier to use, and just flat out better. I have no problem paying double to get Apple products because they are infinitely superior to anything else on the market.

AllAmericanGirl

Postby AllAmericanGirl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:02 pm

ILikeIke wrote:
AllAmericanGirl wrote:Ah, I'm jealous, the season around here ended long ago. I'm also jealous that you're definitely skiing much better mountains.

I considered law school in Colorado for about a day...just for the skiing. Then I decided that was probably not the best way to pick my schools...

I'm also glad there are some other "old" people around!!

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm

AllAmericanGirl wrote:Is anyone else who's been out of school for a while concerned about getting back into the "studying thing" ??? I graduated in '05. I figure I will just have to treat it like a job...

At least in my experience, there's less pure studying in law school; it's definitely more of a marathon than a sprint. Since the majority of exams are open book and essay instead of fact recall, it's really just about making a good outline and having a good working knowledge of the concepts. I didn't do that much pure studying in the crunch time before exams and still did well.

Most exam questions are issue-spotters which means that they give you a fact pattern and then you have to pick out the relevant legal issues and analyze them.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 pm

kritiosboy wrote:
geoffree wrote:Boo interest!

Sealocust, I thought someone else around here had that avatar, and I guess it wasn't you since you said it was new. I finally tried a Chipotle burrito and I wasn't THAT impressed.

You need to get babacoa or carnitas. Chicken is garbage, veggie is garbage, steak is ok.

AHA! Yeah, I'm veggie, so I just got every non-meat item thrown in there. I couldn't even finish it.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 pm

ndm2007 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:Anyone ask to be reconsidered for merit aid?

Nope, but I'd love to hear how that works out for you!

I tried...no luck :(

Whatever happened to need-based aid? Was that released with the loan plan yesterday?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
showNprove wrote:Drinking. You forgot the drinking.

I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot on that.

The liquor store is walking distance, and the wine/beer is practically next door on Barracks :mrgreen:

Also, hot bodies just barely pulled ahead, go vote: --LinkRemoved--

The best priced premium brews on tap will be a block from my place at the 12th street Taphouse. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood :)

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=14 ... 2092839042

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/virginia/ ... /12177.htm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 pm

limegreen wrote:
ILikeIke wrote:
limegreen wrote:

I'd still pick a Mac. Seriously, I used to have a Gateway and I did the whole Dell thing, but nothing even begins to compare to a Mac. Don't knock it til you try it. They are more reliable, easier to use, and just flat out better. I have no problem paying double to get Apple products because they are infinitely superior to anything else on the market.

I have to agree with Limegreen. I grew up with Dells, had a Dell laptop for my first 2 years of schooling before it died and have now had my MacBook for almost 3 years. I will never go back. Never. It is amazing how much pleasure can be added to ones day when he or she is not waiting 5 minutes to open a program or hitting control+alt+delete constantly...seriously consider it. UVA will give you a laptop loan after all!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 pm

geoffree wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:

Sealocust, I thought someone else around here had that avatar, and I guess it wasn't you since you said it was new. I finally tried a Chipotle burrito and I wasn't THAT impressed.

You need to get babacoa or carnitas. Chicken is garbage, veggie is garbage, steak is ok.

AHA! Yeah, I'm veggie, so I just got every non-meat item thrown in there. I couldn't even finish it.

Ahh, that was your problem. Don't get beans on it, or the fajitas. The best part about Chipotle (for me anyway) is that it tastes so fresh, and both of those ingredients really take away from that.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:41 pm

limegreen wrote:
geoffree wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:

Ahh, that was your problem. Don't get beans on it, or the fajitas. The best part about Chipotle (for me anyway) is that it tastes so fresh, and both of those ingredients really take away from that.

Yeah, it was definitely fresh and filling in a good way.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:

I have to agree with Limegreen. I grew up with Dells, had a Dell laptop for my first 2 years of schooling before it died and have now had my MacBook for almost 3 years. I will never go back. Never. It is amazing how much pleasure can be added to ones day when he or she is not waiting 5 minutes to open a program or hitting control+alt+delete constantly...seriously consider it. UVA will give you a laptop loan after all!

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the laptop bundles in May so that I can get my mac-cherry popped 8)

omg

Postby omg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm

ILikeIke: I used to have a Gateway (which was ok, but I really didn't want another one). I bought an HP at the end of last summer and have been pretty happy with it. They're good for the price - and nowhere near as expensive as Macs!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Do we have to buy a law bundle? What are the pros/cons of doing so? I've never purchased a computer through school, I was just planning on buying a new MacBook sometime this summer. Is that not the right thing to do?

omg

Postby omg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Also, am I now the only one who hasn't gotten loans yet?? :( I need some moneyssss!!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 pm

omg wrote:Also, am I now the only one who hasn't gotten loans yet?? :( I need some moneyssss!!

I haven't either. I guess maybe next week?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:52 pm

limegreen wrote:Do we have to buy a law bundle? What are the pros/cons of doing so? I've never purchased a computer through school, I was just planning on buying a new MacBook sometime this summer. Is that not the right thing to do?

We don't have to buy a bundle. I'm waiting to see which macbook model the bundle comes with. I've asked around about last year's but didn't get any response. I think the software that it comes with makes it a good deal if you don't already have an adequate laptop. The special services and loaner laptops are also why I'm leaning towards the bundles.
Last edited by geoffree on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

omg

Postby omg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 pm

limegreen wrote:
omg wrote:Also, am I now the only one who hasn't gotten loans yet?? :( I need some moneyssss!!

O good. Well, not good, haha, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I assumed that your questions about loans were prompted by you getting your package :D

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm

omg wrote:
limegreen wrote:

O good. Well, not good, haha, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I assumed that your questions about loans were prompted by you getting your package :D

No, just confused by what everyone else was talking about!

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Soccer fans: anyone interested in going up to DC on 8/8 (Kansas City) or 8/22 (LA Galaxy) to see a DC United Game? I've been a DC fan for a while now thanks to my BF and I've never been to a home game - I hear they are nuts.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:15 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Soccer fans: anyone interested in going up to DC on 8/8 (Kansas City) or 8/22 (LA Galaxy) to see a DC United Game? I've been a DC fan for a while now thanks to my BF and I've never been to a home game - I hear they are nuts.

I'm a Real Salt Lake fan (and their only trip to DC is in May :x ), but I'd love to go to a DC United game. Also probably a Wizards game when the Suns are in town.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and defend PCs. What are you people talking about? Macs and PCs are just computers. Every now and again, they are going to have problems, both of them. Just today I watched a friend on a Mac as it almost ate her senior thesis. I also have another friend whose every mac purchase broke shortly after its one year warranty lapsed...

They both have their pros and cons. Being pretty is neither a pro nor con.

I guess my point, which is cleverly and entirely too subtlety buried, is that it doesn't matter. Pick what you want. If you want performance, get performance. If you want pretty, get pretty. If you want pretty performance, get pretty performance.

As Barack (should have) said four years ago, "Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a [PC] America and a [Mac] America; there's the United States of America.The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into [PCs} and [Macs]... But I've got news for them, too...We are one people."

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:25 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndm2007

Postby ndm2007 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 pm

napolnic wrote:Alright, I'm going to go ahead and defend PCs. What are you people talking about? Macs and PCs are just computers. Every now and again, they are going to have problems, both of them. Just today I watched a friend on a Mac as it almost ate her senior thesis. I also have another friend whose every mac purchase broke shortly after its one year warranty lapsed...

They both have their pros and cons. Being pretty is neither a pro nor con.

I guess my point, which is cleverly and entirely too subtlety buried, is that it doesn't matter. Pick what you want. If you want performance, get performance. If you want pretty, get pretty. If you want pretty performance, get pretty performance.

As Barack (should have) said four years ago, "Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a [PC] America and a [Mac] America; there's the United States of America.The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into [PCs} and [Macs]... But I've got news for them, too...We are one people."

Haha, awesome. I agree except for one caveat- Vista is miserable. I really couldn't care less about bells and whistles, I just want a stable operating system. I got a new computer a few months ago with Vista "Home Premium" and it constantly crashes, "blue screens," won't shut down, wont turn on, erases stuff, etc. So yeah, plan on downgrading to XP if you get a PC. I don't know if I would have gotten a mac in retrospect, but I now know that people are not exaggerating when they complain about Vista. Trust me- I'm a pretty low-maintenance non-picky type and Vista manages to piss me off at least twice a day.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”