UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTF
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 11:58 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RTF » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey showNprove, haven't seen you in a while. I realize it's a little late, but how bout those heels!

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 pm

showNprove wrote:So we get to use our loan money to pay our loan interest? Yay.



Is that really how it works? haha, sorry i'm not that up on the process.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby hotburrito » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm

iceberger wrote:
showNprove wrote:So we get to use our loan money to pay our loan interest? Yay.



Is that really how it works? haha, sorry i'm not that up on the process.


yeah i pretty much have no clue how this all works

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Theoretically, if you were to use the 8.5K of subsidized stafford loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, you'd save money... but the circumstances under which you would be able to pull that off would be strange indeed, lol.


Are you sure? If you used subsidized loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, then you would have less subsidized loans to use towards tuition, which would mean you'd need more unsubsidized loans. I think it would come out the same.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Theoretically, if you were to use the 8.5K of subsidized stafford loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, you'd save money... but the circumstances under which you would be able to pull that off would be strange indeed, lol.


Are you sure? If you used subsidized loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, then you would have less subsidized loans to use towards tuition, which would mean you'd need more unsubsidized loans. I think it would come out the same.


*head explodes*

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 pm

After a while you become numb to your 6 figure debt.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 pm

gladiator wrote:After a while you become numb to your 6 figure debt.



it just doesn't seem like real money looking at it all there in SIS

jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Theoretically, if you were to use the 8.5K of subsidized stafford loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, you'd save money... but the circumstances under which you would be able to pull that off would be strange indeed, lol.


Are you sure? If you used subsidized loans to make payments on unsubsidized loans, then you would have less subsidized loans to use towards tuition, which would mean you'd need more unsubsidized loans. I think it would come out the same.


*head explodes*

+1, yeah - that made my head spin.

User avatar
applepie
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby applepie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:17 pm

so...looking at all the lender choices and doing some preliminary googling I dont think there is much of an advantage with going with one over the other

the 4 I looked at all offered the same repayment benefits (.25% with autopay haha)

someone let me know if they stumble across a lender that offers an "up front" benefit rather than ones during repayment

oh and thanks seal for getting me through a minor freak out...i seemed to have forgotten what Grad Plus was when I opened my award. sticker shock i suppose

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:30 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
geoffree
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby geoffree » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Boo interest!

Sealocust, I thought someone else around here had that avatar, and I guess it wasn't you since you said it was new. I finally tried a Chipotle burrito and I wasn't THAT impressed.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:42 pm

I finally tried a Chipotle burrito and I wasn't THAT impressed.

Blasphemy!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Meh, I think they're better than Rubios.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 pm

So... I still don't have any finaid info up yet on SIS. Anybody else who applied ED still waiting?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:48 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:51 pm

showNprove wrote:
RTF wrote:Hey showNprove, haven't seen you in a while. I realize it's a little late, but how bout those heels!

U-N-C! Go, Heels! Go!

And thesealocust, that chart makes my head hurt. I don't want to go through the accounting, so how is it that the total debt on graduation is $25k higher than the total cost?


accumulated interest ... and the chart hurt my head too

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 pm

geoffree wrote:Boo interest!

Sealocust, I thought someone else around here had that avatar, and I guess it wasn't you since you said it was new. I finally tried a Chipotle burrito and I wasn't THAT impressed.


Perhaps you had a fever or were sick... I can't believe someone would be unimpressed by Chipotle :)

btw - zazu's over off of rt 250 near university heights is worth hitting up for alternative burritos (thai, bbq, etc.)

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby showNprove » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:01 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:05 am

thesealocust wrote:
If you make a $10,000 payment before your 3rd year you wind up saving $850 in the amount due at graduation, but early payments can also shorten the term or individual payments.

Out of State: $223K due at graduation
In State: $206K due at graduation ($15K in total savings = $2K in saved interest, an increasing amount of savings if you shorten the loan term).


Can you not achieve in-state status after your 1L year?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:12 am

iceberger wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
If you make a $10,000 payment before your 3rd year you wind up saving $850 in the amount due at graduation, but early payments can also shorten the term or individual payments.

Out of State: $223K due at graduation
In State: $206K due at graduation ($15K in total savings = $2K in saved interest, an increasing amount of savings if you shorten the loan term).


Can you not achieve in-state status after your 1L year?


Marrying a Virginian is the only way, I believe. Once you start attending as a non-resident you're pretty much locked in.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby gladiator » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
iceberger wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
If you make a $10,000 payment before your 3rd year you wind up saving $850 in the amount due at graduation, but early payments can also shorten the term or individual payments.

Out of State: $223K due at graduation
In State: $206K due at graduation ($15K in total savings = $2K in saved interest, an increasing amount of savings if you shorten the loan term).


Can you not achieve in-state status after your 1L year?


Marrying a Virginian is the only way, I believe. Once you start attending as a non-resident you're pretty much locked in.


Yea, definitely do not bet on getting in-state tuition.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest