UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
napolnic

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by napolnic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:51 pm

legends159 wrote:
napolnic wrote:
ak9786 wrote:i dont think that UVA would offer scholarhips to students to defer. If UVA offered 30,000 scholarship per year to defer would you take it, what about 15,000?

i havent even checked my financial aid stuff yet, although i havent even paid my deposits yet, but i guess i should since all this talk of over enrollement, its making me nervous. i should pay at least one of them
If they offered me 30000 I'd be quite torn, but I think I'd ultimate say no. They could always try giving me more money, I've heard being less in debt suck less than being in more debt.
wtf 30,00 a year and u wouldnt? I think u misread.

And btw does anyone know what the tuition for non-res is going to be this fall? Their website has 2008-2009 which was last fall's.
Nah, I'd still be torn. At this point, I'm pretty much set on some sort of public interest, so if I keep that up for a decade, I'm essentially going to law school for free. Money's a factor, but I really try not to make it a main compelling reason. I've also already given a deposit for housing and I'd feel like a douche to a good friend if I pulled out now. Plus the whole excitement about going and not knowing what I'd do for a year (I really couldn't stand another year of what I'm currently doing).

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:21 pm

i agree with going anyway instead of taking the money, because the tution will prob rise to 60k anyway. I think the law schools need to def reduce tuition now that the whole big law structure is going to be dismantled and we arent going to be making big $$$, law school tuitions increased proportionally to the boom in salaries of associates, now that we arent going to be making much, it seems crappy to be paying ike 45-50g's a yr for tuition.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:30 pm

ak9786 wrote:i agree with going anyway instead of taking the money, because the tution will prob rise to 60k anyway. I think the law schools need to def reduce tuition now that the whole big law structure is going to be dismantled and we arent going to be making big $$$, law school tuitions increased proportionally to the boom in salaries of associates, now that we arent going to be making much, it seems crappy to be paying ike 45-50g's a yr for tuition.
Not gonna happen. Supply/demand and the whole shebang.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
ak9786 wrote:i agree with going anyway instead of taking the money, because the tution will prob rise to 60k anyway. I think the law schools need to def reduce tuition now that the whole big law structure is going to be dismantled and we arent going to be making big $$$, law school tuitions increased proportionally to the boom in salaries of associates, now that we arent going to be making much, it seems crappy to be paying ike 45-50g's a yr for tuition.
plus unconscious collusion. Even TTT charge 40K a year tuition.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm

by the time we are 3L's in state tutition is prob going to be 45K and outa state is going to be 50K

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Random question: anybody know what the sales tax in Charlottesville is? A quick internet search did not give a ready answer. I'm just thinking ahead: buy my laptop in Charlottesville or somewhere along the cross-country roadtrip?

applepie

Bronze

Post by applepie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:36 pm

albemarle county is 4.5 % according to http://www.albemarle.org/page.asp?info=demog

mllerustad

New

Post by mllerustad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:39 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
What I do wish law schools (and other schools) would do is guarantee tuition for all three years. They can raise it for the next batch of 1Ls, but not for you (unless you take more than three years to graduate). That would make budgeting/determining whether law school's worth it a lot easier. I find it really unethical when schools hike tuition unexpectedly, knowing that at that point current students have no choice but to suck it up.

Too bad the ABA doesn't actually do anything... it seems like something they could recommend or enforce.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Last edited by YCrevolution on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:48 pm

GW actually freezes their tuition for every incoming class for their length of stay, thats what my friend said at least

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 pm

What I do wish law schools (and other schools) would do is guarantee tuition for all three years. They can raise it for the next batch of 1Ls, but not for you (unless you take more than three years to graduate). That would make budgeting/determining whether law school's worth it a lot easier. I find it really unethical when schools hike tuition unexpectedly, knowing that at that point current students have no choice but to suck it up.

Too bad the ABA doesn't actually do anything... it seems like something they could recommend or enforce.
I have mixed feelings about this. Sure, it would make financing law school a lot more predictable for current students. However, if a school is under tough financial times and cannot increase tuition for current students, they will just have to increase tuition even more for the next class. I think I would rather they spread the tuition increase around, rather than dump it all on the next class. In an ideal world, of course, law schools would simply make cuts to things that are not necessary to the education offered, but that's simply unrealistic.

I know that my state is considering a program that would guarantee the same tuition for all four years of education at a public university, but students who failed to graduate in four years would have to pay back the entire difference. This is designed to prevent people from spending too long in college (at the taxpayers' expense). Since law schools don't have problems with students not graduating in three years, however, fixing tuition would be only for the students' convenience.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 pm

mllerustad wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

It's called inflationary expectations. Your statement above just proves that you expect tuition to go up each of the three years you are there. While you don't know an exact amount, you should know that it will most likely go up in accordance with the rate of inflation, if not higher depending on additional costs the school incurs. It's not unethical, it's what happens in a market economy. Increases in utility rates alone are enough to warrant the extra 3K in tuition we will see.

What we pay in tuition is the price of our education, not the cost of that education. If schools actually charged what it cost, we would be looking at a tuition bill about 10k - 15k more than what we are paying.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but these conversations have been going on at my undergrad right now and students are just so misinformed about where their tuition dollars actually go. I was on the planning and budget committee at my school and it really opened my eyes to what goes on, so when I hear stuff like this it just strikes a nerve. I don't like the price of higher education anymore than the rest of you, but its a cost benefit analysis everyone needs to consider.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mllerustad

New

Post by mllerustad » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 am

a.williams wrote:
mllerustad wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

It's called inflationary expectations. Your statement above just proves that you expect tuition to go up each of the three years you are there. While you don't know an exact amount, you should know that it will most likely go up in accordance with the rate of inflation, if not higher depending on additional costs the school incurs. It's not unethical, it's what happens in a market economy. Increases in utility rates alone are enough to warrant the extra 3K in tuition we will see.
But it *doesn't* go up at the rate of inflation. Tuition everywhere has been going up much faster for the last twenty years. UVA's tuition went up by 7% this year; Berkeley's went up something like 12% in-state. We're in a bloody recession, the inflation rate is nowhere near those figures.

It's not just the utility bills that the increases are paying. And if you think predicting future inflation rates is hard, tuition hikes are just a crapshoot. I expect tuition to go up, because that's what it always done...but I don't know if it's going to be a ridiculous hike or a insane one.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:21 am

Does this topic really belong in the class of 2012 thread? It's not really UVA specific and it's kind of depressing. This is supposed to be a fun thread!

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 am

limegreen wrote:Does this topic really belong in the class of 2012 thread? It's not really UVA specific and it's kind of depressing. This is supposed to be a fun thread!
But we have to start getting used to arguing with each other over everything, right? I mean, isn't that what lawyers are supposed to do?

mllerustad

New

Post by mllerustad » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:42 am

limegreen wrote:Does this topic really belong in the class of 2012 thread? It's not really UVA specific and it's kind of depressing. This is supposed to be a fun thread!
Sorry, don't mean to detract from teh funz. It's something that's true at pretty much all schools and right now we don't have much control over it. But SOMEDAY, when I'm the Dean of UVA Law... ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 pm

mllerustad wrote:
Sorry, don't mean to detract from teh funz. It's something that's true at pretty much all schools and right now we don't have much control over it. But SOMEDAY, when I'm the Dean of UVA Law... ;)
How do you get into law school admissions anyway? It seems really fun... it is something I might even be interested in. Jason Wu-Trujillo went to UVA Law, right?

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Woohoo, got my first UVA e-mail!

The University will test the outdoor siren system across Grounds on Monday, April 13 between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. If you are outside during this time, you may hear the sirens and verbal test messages. No action on your part is required; this is only a test.

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer

Sandridge approved distribution of this message.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Fup wrote:Woohoo, got my first UVA e-mail!

The University will test the outdoor siren system across Grounds on Monday, April 13 between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. If you are outside during this time, you may hear the sirens and verbal test messages. No action on your part is required; this is only a test.

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer

Sandridge approved distribution of this message.
Those sirens are pretty creepy. I'm kinda waiting for the test that says "THIS IS THE VOICE OF GOD" over the speaker.

bulldog4574

New

Post by bulldog4574 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm

just signed a lease at ivy hill, i feel like a real UVA law student now!

edit: ivy garden, man im out of it today

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:44 pm

I've never met Trujillo but what are people's general impressions of him? Approachable? Friendly?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I've never met Trujillo but what are people's general impressions of him? Approachable? Friendly?
Yes to both. Funny, too.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm

Dare I call his direct line tomorrow to try to set up a meeting to get off the waitlist?

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:05 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Dare I call his direct line tomorrow to try to set up a meeting to get off the waitlist?
No harm doing so! All I know about him is that a) he loves to talk on the phone and b) he'll tell it to you like it is, as far as your chances are concerned.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”