UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thesealocust

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kritiosboy

Postby kritiosboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Has anyone paid his or her tuition deposit online? Do they make it easy? I'm confused at to why they would state "Deposits paid electronically to Student Financial Services or mailed to other University offices, rather than directly to the Law School Admissions Office, may not be credited to your law school account."

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 pm

jennyhoo wrote:Has anyone paid his or her tuition deposit online? Do they make it easy? I'm confused at to why they would state "Deposits paid electronically to Student Financial Services or mailed to other University offices, rather than directly to the Law School Admissions Office, may not be credited to your law school account."

u can pay with cc.

Fup

Postby Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 pm

jennyhoo wrote:Has anyone paid his or her tuition deposit online? Do they make it easy? I'm confused at to why they would state "Deposits paid electronically to Student Financial Services or mailed to other University offices, rather than directly to the Law School Admissions Office, may not be credited to your law school account."

I paid it online yesterday. I wasn't really sure what they meant by that sentence either, but I assume that paying it via the link from the admitted students website is not the same as paying it through "student financial services" so I wouldn't worry about anything.

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Fup wrote:

I paid it online yesterday. I wasn't really sure what they meant by that sentence either, but I assume that paying it via the link from the admitted students website is not the same as paying it through "student financial services" so I wouldn't worry about anything.

Great, thanks fup and legends!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 pm

kritiosboy wrote:
limegreen wrote:
ak9786 wrote:did anyone look at ivy gardens?

are those apartments new or old? have washer and dryers in them? if anyone can say something about the apt i would appreciate it, like the size of the bedrooms or the apartment in general

They are definitely old. I didn't like them, but they seem to be very popular because they are super close to the law school.

AK, they were built in the 70's. I wouldn't call that "old".

Almost 40 years? I would definitely call that old for an apartment.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm

limegreen wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:
limegreen wrote:
ak9786 wrote:did anyone look at ivy gardens?

are those apartments new or old? have washer and dryers in them? if anyone can say something about the apt i would appreciate it, like the size of the bedrooms or the apartment in general

They are definitely old. I didn't like them, but they seem to be very popular because they are super close to the law school.

AK, they were built in the 70's. I wouldn't call that "old".

Almost 40 years? I would definitely call that old for an apartment.

prewar apartments are a hot commodity in some places

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 pm

So after taking several days to process my ASD, I have decided to go to UVa!! Yared Getachew (PI Director) was actually the convincing force for me - anyone else think he was terrific? I also decided that people did indeed love their life in law school (being the cynic that I am, at first I thought they were just putting on a happy admissions front).

Anyways, I am planning on living at Jefferson Ridge. Anyone else besides me and limegreen opting to live a little further away from campus?

1337Law

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:So after taking several days to process my ASD, I have decided to go to UVa!! Yared Getachew (PI Director) was actually the convincing force for me - anyone else think he was terrific? I also decided that people did indeed love their life in law school (being the cynic that I am, at first I thought they were just putting on a happy admissions front).

Anyways, I am planning on living at Jefferson Ridge. Anyone else besides me and limegreen opting to live a little further away from campus?

sweet!!! that's awesome you chose UVA! but no, i won't be at the ridge

Fup

Postby Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Update for those curious about paying online (through the admitted students website link):

I just got a confirmation e-mail saying they received it and that it will be applied to the first semester's tuition. So, I guess that means I don't have to mail in any paper form along with the deposit or anything. I think UVA needs to update their confirmation e-mail. It says "We have received your check for $500, confirming your intention to enroll in August," despite the fact that I paid online via credit card. Yes, I'm a dork and actually read the whole e-mail.

Glad its official now!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 pm

jennyhoo

Postby jennyhoo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 pm

Fup wrote:Update for those curious about paying online (through the admitted students website link):

I just got a confirmation e-mail saying they received it and that it will be applied to the first semester's tuition. So, I guess that means I don't have to mail in any paper form along with the deposit or anything. I think UVA needs to update their confirmation e-mail. It says "We have received your check for $500, confirming your intention to enroll in August," despite the fact that I paid online via credit card. Yes, I'm a dork and actually read the whole e-mail.

Glad its official now!

Fup, did you receive that email after your second $500 deposit? I sent in my first deposit and didn't get that email.

kritiosboy

Postby kritiosboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaoTao

Postby TaoTao » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 pm

shadowfish wrote:Jeffersonian is nearly impossible to get into. If you want a 1bd, you have to apply Jan 1, no kidding. I got a 2 bd+den by applying mid-Jan, and I think there's something like 35 people on the waitlist either for 1 bds or 2bds.

If you're looking at Arlington Blvd., though, you have a few options:
-Arlington Condos, which I've never been in. They're pretty cheap though (2bd+1.5ba+basement with washer/dryer) for 1050. They also offer a basement 1bd thing for about 775, which I never saw advertised, but a friend of mine lives in one, and I know someone else who lived in one last year. Neither of them particularly like the basement, but you could be different?
-Arlington Townhomes (different from condos). These are now 1175, 2bd+1ba, hardwood floors. No dishwasher, but they do have a washer/dryer. My friend who lives there complains that it's dark, which I agree with. And though I haven't seen the Arlington Condos, it seems to me they'd just kind of be superior.
-2200 Arlington, or something like that. It's an apartment complex with no name, reasonably good prices (1bd + den on 3rd floor was 670/mo), but no washer/dryer even on site. Some people living their send their laundry out, use their friends' apartment complexes' laundry, or go to the good old Millmont laundromat (which I've never set foot in but heard is gross).
-I live at Grad Center, and I'll pimp the 3rd floor apartments. They're essentially studios, though you share a kitchen with 3 other people (if you're like me and only can make microwave food, that hardly matters). The cool thing is that you have a ladder up to a loft, which has enough room for a bed and some other stuff. There's also a skylight, which helps the lighting. I pay 525 a month for that. There are apartments on the 2nd and 1st floor, but they don't have the loft or skylight and generally suck. If you want pictures, PM me and I can send them to you.
-There are also some townhomes even closer to 29 than Grad Center, but I dunno the address.

not related: Fup - UW PRIDE (there are quite a few Seattleites around here, so you'll be in good company. Or Bellevueites. I have a professor from Des Moines, WA. In short, WA is well-represented.)

Thank you so much for all this very useful info!

Fup

Postby Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 pm

jennyhoo wrote:Fup, did you receive that email after your second $500 deposit? I sent in my first deposit and didn't get that email.

I received the confirmation e-mail (from Jason Trujillo) about 22 hours after paying my first deposit online. I still haven't paid the second deposit.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 pm

I suppose, I guess I meant it to have a negative connotation. I really didn't like Ivy, I got a weird vibe from it and it seemed kind of run down.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:39 pm

limegreen wrote:I suppose, I guess I meant it to have a negative connotation. I really didn't like Ivy, I got a weird vibe from it and it seemed kind of run down.

+1. Especially for the price. It was the only place I looked at that didn't include ANY utilities...when you factor in water, sewer, trash, electricity, cable and internet it's kind of expensive for what you get.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:41 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:I suppose, I guess I meant it to have a negative connotation. I really didn't like Ivy, I got a weird vibe from it and it seemed kind of run down.

+1. Especially for the price. It was the only place I looked at that didn't include ANY utilities...when you factor in water, sewer, trash, electricity, cable and internet it's kind of expensive for what you get.

I dunno my 1L host who lives in ivy told me that total, after utilities and cable he only pays like 660 a month (half of rent since he has a suitemate--he has his own room and own bathroom)

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:49 pm

legends159 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:

I dunno my 1L host who lives in ivy told me that total, after utilities and cable he only pays like 660 a month (half of rent since he has a suitemate--he has his own room and own bathroom)

$660 still seems like a lot for what you're getting there. The Woodlands is probably going to be about $100 more than that and it has a lot more features, amenities, etc.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 am

limegreen wrote:
legends159 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:

$660 still seems like a lot for what you're getting there. The Woodlands is probably going to be about $100 more than that and it has a lot more features, amenities, etc.

but u need a car to get from there to the law school no?

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:24 am

How about we all just agree to disagree? After all, I would most likely live in Ivy if they allowed cats and I wanted a roommate...

Fup

Postby Fup » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 am

OK, I don't understand flying at all (I don't do it often). I'm looking at airfare prices between Seattle and C'Ville in the summer, and it costs about $500 one way, but only $280 roundtrip. That makes absolutely no sense - it means that I would save over $200 by purchasing a roundtrip ticket and simply not using the return trip. Is this because I am looking at flights several months away? I am just trying to get a sense of how expensive flights between school and home will be.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”