UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
stl1622dc

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby stl1622dc » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:45 am

Anyone know how easy it is to get around in Charlottesville? Will not having a car be a pain?

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:51 am

stl1622dc wrote:Anyone know how easy it is to get around in Charlottesville? Will not having a car be a pain?

I got the impression when I visited that you can survive without a car if you live in Ivy or on Arlington, but I heard that the bus system wasnt too reliable so if you wanted to live farther from the law school a car makes things much much easier

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 am

stl1622dc wrote:Anyone know how easy it is to get around in Charlottesville? Will not having a car be a pain?

Not having a car would probably be less of a pain than having one. Driving around Cville the other day was crap. Plus, I heard that parking at the LS was a pain, and that as a 1L you have to park further away.

Applepie, you heard the bus system was not so efficient? It looked like there were tons of buses in Cville when I was there, including free ones.

Stl, if you live within 2 miles you can bike to school thus forcing yourself to get some daily exercise :)

Fup

Postby Fup » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am

I got a Dean's scholarship in the mail, which settles the decision for me. Tomorrow I will withdraw my other applications and send in my deposit to UVA! See you in the fall!

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:07 am

geoffree wrote:

Not having a car would probably be less of a pain than having one. Driving around Cville the other day was crap. Plus, I heard that parking at the LS was a pain, and that as a 1L you have to park further away.

Applepie, you heard the bus system was not so efficient? It looked like there were tons of buses in Cville when I was there, including free ones.

Stl, if you live within 2 miles you can bike to school thus forcing yourself to get some daily exercise :)

Ya, I saw tons while I was on campus, and a few about 3 miles about. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a couple of 1L's said that it was not always on time if you are not on campus and that it comes infrequently enough that if you miss it you may miss class. I dunno how credible this is, I am bus system spoiled from my undergrad with like gps tracking for them and all. I came away from ASD deciding I would be finding a way to bring my really old car up there if I attend.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:15 am

Fup wrote:I got a Dean's scholarship in the mail, which settles the decision for me. Tomorrow I will withdraw my other applications and send in my deposit to UVA! See you in the fall!

oh snaps UVA landed Fup

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:21 am

vamedic03 wrote:
geoffree wrote:Ello, does anyone know about noise levels near the Corner on Wertland St? I'm seriously considering an apt in an old Victorian house, but concerned that I might be right smack in the middle of party central. The Wade Apts staff said that noise levels really depend on who else moves into the house, but I'm not so sure they gave me a straight answer as to whether the location is noisy in general.

Um... based on my undergrad experiences there, I would definitely avoid that area unless you want to party with undergrads every thurs through saturday with some possible extra days in there too...

That is very disappointing to read. I was really in love with the place. The houses all along this street are divided into about 4 apts each, so I'm still holding onto some hope that the noise may not be so bad since they can't turn entire houses into a party.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:38 am

If you're not going to have a car, I would also advise living on Arlington Blvd or Ivy Gardens. The bus system isn't that bad but it's not totally reliable either and not worth dealing with.

I live on Arlington Blvd without a car and get by fine. Obviously you need to depend on friends or public transportation sometimes but it's doable.

aph

Postby aph » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by aph on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1337Law

Postby 1337Law » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:52 pm

aph wrote:
Kat86 wrote:Hey guys, okay so I went to ASD on Friday and really really liked UVa, its my top choice, but right before I left for Virginia I got the award letter and didn't get any money. I wasn't even considering Vandy until a couple of weeks ago when I received a 72k scholly from them and the reality of debt is scaring the shit out of me. Please assure me that I will be making the right choice to forget about the money and go to UVa. If anyone can do it I'm sure it's you all. I'm so stressed.. I guess I should get used to the feeling though! Vandy isn't worth it right?

Vandy is a wonderful school, has more "lay-prestige" than UVa, and that is a LOT of money. Unless you are gunning for a T5 NYC Biglaw job or SCOTUS clerkship your prospects will be comparable, if not equal. I'd have a hard time choosing UVa sticker over Vandy at less than half price, and I LOVE UVa. My friends have had great experiences at Vandy, and of the top schools it is most like UVa atmosphere-wise. Think hard about this one.

This is just wrong, first of all, UVa isn't a huge feeder school for a V5 NYC Biglaw job, that's more HYSCCN... Your grades will need to be better at Vandy than UVa to land the same job, and that's in the south. In NYC, Vandy does not place anywhere near UVa.

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:03 pm

aph wrote:
Kat86 wrote:Hey guys, okay so I went to ASD on Friday and really really liked UVa, its my top choice, but right before I left for Virginia I got the award letter and didn't get any money. I wasn't even considering Vandy until a couple of weeks ago when I received a 72k scholly from them and the reality of debt is scaring the shit out of me. Please assure me that I will be making the right choice to forget about the money and go to UVa. If anyone can do it I'm sure it's you all. I'm so stressed.. I guess I should get used to the feeling though! Vandy isn't worth it right?

Vandy is a wonderful school, has more "lay-prestige" than UVa, and that is a LOT of money. Unless you are gunning for a T5 NYC Biglaw job or SCOTUS clerkship your prospects will be comparable, if not equal. I'd have a hard time choosing UVa sticker over Vandy at less than half price, and I LOVE UVa. My friends have had great experiences at Vandy, and of the top schools it is most like UVa atmosphere-wise. Think hard about this one.

Your advice is reckless and wrong. The job prospects are not comparable/equal outside T5 NYC Biglaw and SCOTUS clerkships....the fact is, those are reserved for the tippy-top of the class at UVA and probably nobody at Vanderbilt. It doesn't mean it would be dumb to take Vandy w/money over UVA....that's a perfectly reasonable choice. But to say the job prospects are equal is just wrong....and are you kidding me with the "lay" prestige?? Go to GULC if that's what you care about.

1337Law

Postby 1337Law » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:
aph wrote:

Your advice is reckless and wrong. The job prospects are not comparable/equal outside T5 NYC Biglaw and SCOTUS clerkships....the fact is, those are reserved for the tippy-top of the class at UVA and probably nobody at Vanderbilt. It doesn't mean it would be dumb to take Vandy w/money over UVA....that's a perfectly reasonable choice. But to say the job prospects are equal is just wrong....and are you kidding me with the "lay" prestige?? Go to GULC if that's what you care about.

+10...but minus 1 for being a gator.

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 pm

1337Law wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:
aph wrote:

-1 to you for being a hater

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:07 pm

that's a behemoth sized rabbit. Stop overfeeding it.

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:10 pm

legends159 wrote:that's a behemoth sized rabbit. Stop overfeeding it.

lol and she's one of the small ones at 6 pounds she is nothing compared to the 28 pound monster i saw yesterday

shes actually really thin....all fluff (result: hair EVERYWHERE)

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 pm

28lb rabbit?

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:24 pm

legends159 wrote:28lb rabbit?

pretty much...this breed tho...

size comparison

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 pm

1337Law wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:
aph wrote:

+9 is still pretty sweet.

And just to clarify about the V5 NYC Biglaw.....from the information I have seen, you actually have a decent shot at Skadden if you're top 1/3 or so at UVA. Skadden seems to dip lower into classes than other V5 firms.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:
And just to clarify about the V5 NYC Biglaw.....from the information I have seen, you actually have a decent shot at Skadden if you're top 1/3 or so at UVA. Skadden seems to dip lower into classes than other V5 firms.

It's cause Skadden hires like a billion associates a year.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:56 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:The ultimate (if still limited) hard-data source for job prospects:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

Vandy v. UVA: UVA is clearly superior, and likely has better placement among the V250 for those who get jobs. But you're still looking at what, 43% of vandy grads getting 'big law' type jobs? UVA also has a longer 'clerkship' bar, while vandy has a longer 'other firms' bar... I'd say vandy w/ $$ vs. UVA at sticker would be a chin scrather, but I don't think anybody would be making a mistake going to UVA on loans. LRAP/BigLaw seem fairly certain there.

There is no Vault250.

rodrigst

Postby rodrigst » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 pm

CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The ultimate (if still limited) hard-data source for job prospects:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

Vandy v. UVA: UVA is clearly superior, and likely has better placement among the V250 for those who get jobs. But you're still looking at what, 43% of vandy grads getting 'big law' type jobs? UVA also has a longer 'clerkship' bar, while vandy has a longer 'other firms' bar... I'd say vandy w/ $$ vs. UVA at sticker would be a chin scrather, but I don't think anybody would be making a mistake going to UVA on loans. LRAP/BigLaw seem fairly certain there.

There is no Vault250.

Totally unrelated, but I love your avatar. That was an excellent episode, and that scene definitely cracked me up.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fup

Postby Fup » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Hmmmmm... the Facebook group is "unavailable" right now. Anyone else have this problem? I need to go about finding an apartment (and a roomate) now that I've sent in my deposit.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”