UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 am

Go back and try to find my post from a few weeks ago that had sections for each class. They're not posted on LawWeb so 2Ls and 3Ls hold the power of knowing from the PDF they sent us with the classes.

Edit: Link- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... y#p1784307

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:29 am

Sorry to revive an old topic, but what was the final verdict on Law School Confidential (for those who were reading it)?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:31 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am

thesealocust wrote:
green wrote:Sorry to revive an old topic, but what was the final verdict on Law School Confidential (for those who were reading it)?
I loved it... as a story book. Reading it cover to cover gave me a MUCH better idea of what would happen in law school than any other single source (movie, book, person, forum).

That being said, it advises you can Win at Law School by drowning out the competition in highlighters, and my version was old enough that it had lots of details about mailing and filling and typewriters... so who knows what the new version is like ;)

I'd say overall it won't help you except in the sense that you'll start with a good overview of the three years.
As far as outlining, 1L job search, etc is concerned, does it give any information that I wouldn't find out anyway? The whole first-year process is kind of a mystery to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 am

Actually, they have it at my town library, so I'll probably just go pick it up tomorrow.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:43 am

green wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
green wrote:Sorry to revive an old topic, but what was the final verdict on Law School Confidential (for those who were reading it)?
I loved it... as a story book. Reading it cover to cover gave me a MUCH better idea of what would happen in law school than any other single source (movie, book, person, forum).

That being said, it advises you can Win at Law School by drowning out the competition in highlighters, and my version was old enough that it had lots of details about mailing and filling and typewriters... so who knows what the new version is like ;)

I'd say overall it won't help you except in the sense that you'll start with a good overview of the three years.
As far as outlining, 1L job search, etc is concerned, does it give any information that I wouldn't find out anyway? The whole first-year process is kind of a mystery to me.
I'd agree with sealocust. I thought it has its pluses (I bought the newer version) and gave me a fairly good idea of what to expect. It has a couple chapters about job searching etc, but nothing too special. I liked the chapters about clerkships and judicial internships, if that is something that would interest you, but I'm sure UVA has some great and more up-to-date resources on that sort of thing.

Overall it wasn't a waste to read and I was able to read the whole thing in like two days - you can skip the first 100 pages since you are already going to school. took the LSAT, and got in.

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 am

Cavalier wrote:In 2 1/2 football seasons at UW I've seen 2 wins and 15 losses, so if for some reason the Huskies do well this year, I don't know if I'll be happy or angry that I missed it. I expect that by the end the first season at UVA I'll have seen at least as many wins as I did in my time at UW.
Cavalier-- just know I feel your pain with UW. My dad played wide receiver for the Huskies back in the Warren Moon/ Don James days so I've been a Huskie from birth. Sark is gunna bring them back.
I thought it was alright but I won't use any of his highlighter suggestions. But I agree- as a story it was fine. I really thought Getting to Maybe was great though. I don't know much obviously, but it seems to be the real deal.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:17 am

Cavalier-- just know I feel your pain with UW. My dad played wide receiver for the Huskies back in the Warren Moon/ Don James days so I've been a Huskie from birth. Sark is gunna bring them back.
That's awesome! I agree though, I was definitely excited when Sark was hired. He already got Nick Montana.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:15 am

I just started Law School Confidential this past weekend during a car trip. It is interesting enough, but definitely has its gunnerish moments. I am on the chapter where he gives an overview of what each 1L class essentially covers (in case you didn't already know what a tort is).

I took the advice of others on here and ordered Getting to Maybe. It is still in it's vacuum sealed plastic but I plan on reading it after I move this weekend and am settled in Charlottesville.

Mainly I've been distracted by the Charlaine Harris vampire books that I am addicted too - I figure that I will have little time to watch Trueblood once law school starts so I can just read the books it is based on now and know exactly what happens! Too bad they didn't base LOST on a series of novels.... :(

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:25 am

crazyinalabama wrote:I just started Law School Confidential this past weekend during a car trip. It is interesting enough, but definitely has its gunnerish moments. I am on the chapter where he gives an overview of what each 1L class essentially covers (in case you didn't already know what a tort is).

I took the advice of others on here and ordered Getting to Maybe. It is still in it's vacuum sealed plastic but I plan on reading it after I move this weekend and am settled in Charlottesville.

Mainly I've been distracted by the Charlaine Harris vampire books that I am addicted too - I figure that I will have little time to watch Trueblood once law school starts so I can just read the books it is based on now and know exactly what happens! Too bad they didn't base LOST on a series of novels.... :(

Twilight >> Trueblood.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 am

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:This is rather mundane, but for those of you interested in estimating your power bill:

Residence Info
- charges for June 13, 2009 through July 10, 2009
- about 700 sq. feet
- ground floor, thermostat at 80F during the day and 73F at night

Bill:
$50.89 for 427kWh (this is broken down into various segments, but this is the number that matters)
$4.47 in state and local taxes: $0.63 for VA and $3.84 for Charlottesville
$15.00 one-time service initiation charge
Total: $70.36; $.08391 per kWh excluding tax, $.12965 per kWh including tax.
You already got a power bill? I have been here 6 weeks and still haven't. I finally called Dominion and they said I will get one in the next week or so that I will just be billed for almost two months because they are trying to get me on a "normal cycle" or something random like that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kguilf99

New

Post by kguilf99 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Has anyone living in Ivy contacted the cable/internet provider yet? Are we supposed to give them a lot of notice before we move in? I feel like I remember reading a while back that we should wait until we get there in case we can get cable internet for free from an unsecured network or something, is that legitimate?

E.K.

New

Post by E.K. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Hey all, question for those living in Ivy Gardens or anyone who knows people who do etc.

I didn't really realize that NTC communications had a monopoly on the complex and this is kind of freaking me out at the moment.

Anyone have any insight into their service? Is it a decent speed? Reliable? I heard they block all P2P traffic and play the Big Brother role hardcore.

I guess my question is, will I be able to make it with NTC for 9 months without killing myself?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 pm

From what I know...

-The internet speed is decent
-They do crack down on P2P
-It sucks that NTC has a monopoly but it's not going to ruin your life
-The advice about potentially having free cable probably doesn't apply to Ivy; I think they generally are on top of that and it applies more to Comcast

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 pm

kguilf99 wrote:Has anyone living in Ivy contacted the cable/internet provider yet? Are we supposed to give them a lot of notice before we move in? I feel like I remember reading a while back that we should wait until we get there in case we can get cable internet for free from an unsecured network or something, is that legitimate?
I called them the same time I called about my power, so probably 2 weeks before. They have to make an appointment to come out, so I would probably schedule it a bit in advance. Their cable package seems kind of crappy (about 50 dollars a month for about 60 or so channels), but that's probably all I'm going to use anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

green

Bronze

Post by green » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:01 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:In 2 1/2 football seasons at UW I've seen 2 wins and 15 losses, so if for some reason the Huskies do well this year, I don't know if I'll be happy or angry that I missed it. I expect that by the end the first season at UVA I'll have seen at least as many wins as I did in my time at UW.
I thought it was alright but I won't use any of his highlighter suggestions. But I agree- as a story it was fine. I really thought Getting to Maybe was great though. I don't know much obviously, but it seems to be the real deal.
Yeah, I second Getting to Maybe. It's pretty comprehensive as far as "thinking like a lawyer" goes. One of my rising 2L friends told me that it ultimately comes down to noting what your particular professor teaches you, though, and books make you marginally better at best.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:01 pm

How does connecting to the UVA wireless network.. work? Do we need to get our computers configured, or will they give us a password?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 pm

showNprove wrote:How does connecting to the UVA wireless network.. work? Do we need to get our computers configured, or will they give us a password?
This is for mobile device but I think there is info somewhere on there about computers or on a link.

http://itc.virginia.edu/mobile/iphone-connectivity.html

I bookmarked it when I saw it the first time for future reference because UVA's IT pages are like one giant maze.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 pm

showNprove wrote:How does connecting to the UVA wireless network.. work? Do we need to get our computers configured, or will they give us a password?
You're supposed to get your computers configured but I don't recall whether that's necessary to connect to the wireless network.

This maybe? http://www.itc.virginia.edu/network/wir ... ypted.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:13 pm

gladiator wrote:
You're supposed to get your computers configured but I don't recall whether that's necessary to connect to the wireless network.

This maybe? http://www.itc.virginia.edu/network/wir ... ypted.html
Yeah, I was just about to post this link myself. It seems like you don't need to get it configured to access the network. I wonder what the configuration is for then.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 pm

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:32 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:This is rather mundane, but for those of you interested in estimating your power bill:

Residence Info
- charges for June 13, 2009 through July 10, 2009
- about 700 sq. feet
- ground floor, thermostat at 80F during the day and 73F at night

Bill:
$50.89 for 427kWh (this is broken down into various segments, but this is the number that matters)
$4.47 in state and local taxes: $0.63 for VA and $3.84 for Charlottesville
$15.00 one-time service initiation charge
Total: $70.36; $.08391 per kWh excluding tax, $.12965 per kWh including tax.
You already got a power bill? I have been here 6 weeks and still haven't. I finally called Dominion and they said I will get one in the next week or so that I will just be billed for almost two months because they are trying to get me on a "normal cycle" or something random like that.
Odd. I even got it as an online bill/statement, without any glitches.
My online bill still says 0 due but does list the $15 one time service charge. I guess I'll just patiently wait for a bill. Dominion is weird.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:26 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I just started Law School Confidential this past weekend during a car trip. It is interesting enough, but definitely has its gunnerish moments. I am on the chapter where he gives an overview of what each 1L class essentially covers (in case you didn't already know what a tort is).

Twilight >> Trueblood.
Edward Cullen >> Bill Compton HOWEVER, Stephen Moyer >> Robert Pattinson

Harry Potter >>> all other fantasy books combined

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”