UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RVP11

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by RVP11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:57 am

1337Law wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
showNprove wrote:This is getting ridiculous and ruining our class thread!
+1,000,000

It's looking too much like a TLS debate thread and not enough like a completely off-topic/holy shit we're excited for August thread.
you'd think future lawyers would be chomping at the bit for some heated debate
Maybe it's just that I've been on here...for...way....too...long. I feel like I've already seen every possible debate on TLS and now they just bother me. UVA >>> Vandy, for just about everything. Okay let's move along.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

jennyhoo wrote:
gladiator wrote:For some reason, the bookstore hasn't had the standard navy UVA Law shirt for months.
the "standard" shirt being the one that all the ASW student volunteers were wearing? i like that one a lot!
Last year they had a ton of them stacked up on a cart . . . so a few of us swiped one

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:41 pm

did anyone look at ivy gardens?

are those apartments new or old? have washer and dryers in them? if anyone can say something about the apt i would appreciate it, like the size of the bedrooms or the apartment in general

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:47 pm

ak9786 wrote:did anyone look at ivy gardens?

are those apartments new or old? have washer and dryers in them? if anyone can say something about the apt i would appreciate it, like the size of the bedrooms or the apartment in general
Old.
No washer/dryer in the unit.
Bedrooms are livable, but by no means large.
Some have been slightly remodeled/updated, some have not.

The main perks are that it's close to the law school. The cable packages suck though(can't get hi-def).

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

They are definitely old. I didn't like them, but they seem to be very popular because they are super close to the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Hey,

Out of curiosity, what did you guys think of UVa after the ASD?

The facebook group ballooned after both admitted students weekends so it seems like UVa sold itself pretty well.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 pm

I was thinking about that place until I just saw a ton of horrible reviews of the staff (how they try to milk you for everything you got) on apartmentratings.com

1337Law

New

Post by 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:00 pm

geoffree wrote:

I was thinking about that place until I just saw a ton of horrible reviews of the staff (how they try to milk you for everything you got) on apartmentratings.com
i'm living there for a few reasons

1. a lot of places I thought looked good are full

2. it's really close to the law school,

3. 800 square feet to myself (single w/den) seems tight even if it's dated

4. other law school kids will definately be living there, and depending on which of you decides to live there- i'm sure some kool kidz'll be close by

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TaoTao

New

Post by TaoTao » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:11 pm

geoffree wrote:

I was also seriously considering Ivy Gardens until I read those reviews and heard some stories. I don't trust a place that does not let you look at the apartment before you move in.

What do you guys know about Jeffersonian?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:17 pm

TaoTao wrote:
geoffree wrote:

I was also seriously considering Ivy Gardens until I read those reviews and heard some stories. I don't trust a place that does not let you look at the apartment before you move in.

I'll be living there in August. It seems like a great place to live if you're married (which I am) and you want to be close to the law school. The law school is probably less than 5 minutes away (walking). Also, it's right next to that big shopping center North of Arlington Blvd. The apartments are a bit dated, but the price pretty much matches what you're getting. Do you have any specific questions?

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Darn it, I submitted my deposit and a few hours later UVA stabs me in the back.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ett31.html

"Washington State men's basketball coach Tony Bennett will be named the new coach at the University of Virginia, according to a report today in the Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress."

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Actually, I guess I can't complain that WSU is losing the only good thing about their basketball team. And yes, I go to UW. GO DAWGS!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Fup wrote:Darn it, I submitted my deposit and a few hours later UVA stabs me in the back.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ett31.html

"Washington State men's basketball coach Tony Bennett will be named the new coach at the University of Virginia, according to a report today in the Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress."
Wow...

TaoTao

New

Post by TaoTao » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:26 pm

CE2JD wrote:
TaoTao wrote:
geoffree wrote:

I'll be living there in August. It seems like a great place to live if you're married (which I am) and you want to be close to the law school. The law school is probably less than 5 minutes away (walking). Also, it's right next to that big shopping center North of Arlington Blvd. The apartments are a bit dated, but the price pretty much matches what you're getting. Do you have any specific questions?
Thank you! Well, I was just checking out their website and it seems like all the units are gone :(

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Yeah, units at the Jeffersonian are long gone. I applied in mid-February and never heard back. The only people who have gotten apartments there applied in January or earlier.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Jeffersonian is nearly impossible to get into. If you want a 1bd, you have to apply Jan 1, no kidding. I got a 2 bd+den by applying mid-Jan, and I think there's something like 35 people on the waitlist either for 1 bds or 2bds.

If you're looking at Arlington Blvd., though, you have a few options:
-Arlington Condos, which I've never been in. They're pretty cheap though (2bd+1.5ba+basement with washer/dryer) for 1050. They also offer a basement 1bd thing for about 775, which I never saw advertised, but a friend of mine lives in one, and I know someone else who lived in one last year. Neither of them particularly like the basement, but you could be different?
-Arlington Townhomes (different from condos). These are now 1175, 2bd+1ba, hardwood floors. No dishwasher, but they do have a washer/dryer. My friend who lives there complains that it's dark, which I agree with. And though I haven't seen the Arlington Condos, it seems to me they'd just kind of be superior.
-2200 Arlington, or something like that. It's an apartment complex with no name, reasonably good prices (1bd + den on 3rd floor was 670/mo), but no washer/dryer even on site. Some people living their send their laundry out, use their friends' apartment complexes' laundry, or go to the good old Millmont laundromat (which I've never set foot in but heard is gross).
-I live at Grad Center, and I'll pimp the 3rd floor apartments. They're essentially studios, though you share a kitchen with 3 other people (if you're like me and only can make microwave food, that hardly matters). The cool thing is that you have a ladder up to a loft, which has enough room for a bed and some other stuff. There's also a skylight, which helps the lighting. I pay 525 a month for that. There are apartments on the 2nd and 1st floor, but they don't have the loft or skylight and generally suck. If you want pictures, PM me and I can send them to you.
-There are also some townhomes even closer to 29 than Grad Center, but I dunno the address.

not related: Fup - UW PRIDE (there are quite a few Seattleites around here, so you'll be in good company. Or Bellevueites. I have a professor from Des Moines, WA. In short, WA is well-represented.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:50 pm

shadowfish wrote:Jeffersonian is nearly impossible to get into. If you want a 1bd, you have to apply Jan 1, no kidding. I got a 2 bd+den by applying mid-Jan, and I think there's something like 35 people on the waitlist either for 1 bds or 2bds.

-Arlington Condos, which I've never been in. They're pretty cheap though (2bd+1.5ba+basement with washer/dryer) for 1050. They also offer a basement 1bd thing for about 775, which I never saw advertised, but a friend of mine lives in one, and I know someone else who lived in one last year. Neither of them particularly like the basement, but you could be different?
-Arlington Townhomes (different from condos). These are now 1175, 2bd+1ba, hardwood floors. No dishwasher, but they do have a washer/dryer. My friend who lives there complains that it's dark, which I agree with. And though I haven't seen the Arlington Condos, it seems to me they'd just kind of be superior.
-2200 Arlington, or something like that. It's an apartment complex with no name, reasonably good prices (1bd + den on 3rd floor was 670/mo), but no washer/dryer even on site. Some people living their send their laundry out, use their friends' apartment complexes' laundry, or go to the good old Millmont laundromat (which I've never set foot in but heard is gross).
-I live at Grad Center, and I'll pimp the 3rd floor apartments. They're essentially studios, though you share a kitchen with 3 other people (if you're like me and only can make microwave food, that hardly matters). The cool thing is that you have a ladder up to a loft, which has enough room for a bed and some other stuff. There's also a skylight, which helps the lighting. I pay 525 a month for that. There are apartments on the 2nd and 1st floor, but they don't have the loft or skylight and generally suck. If you want pictures, PM me and I can send them to you.
-There are also some townhomes even closer to 29 than Grad Center, but I dunno the address.

not related: Fup - UW PRIDE (there are quite a few Seattleites around here, so you'll be in good company. Or Bellevueites. I have a professor from Des Moines, WA. In short, WA is well-represented.)

nice rundown! if i wanted to live within walking distance to the "downtown" area, is there any apartment complex you would suggest?

1337Law

New

Post by 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

iceberger wrote:
shadowfish wrote:Jeffersonian is nearly impossible to get into. If you want a 1bd, you have to apply Jan 1, no kidding. I got a 2 bd+den by applying mid-Jan, and I think there's something like 35 people on the waitlist either for 1 bds or 2bds.

nice rundown! if i wanted to live within walking distance to the "downtown" area, is there any apartment complex you would suggest?
are you sure you want downtown? or more towards the corner?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm

1337Law wrote:
iceberger wrote:

i'm not sure, UVA just recently became my top choice and i haven't visited. being able to walk to some nice places to eat/drink/hang out is really important to me in a location. would that be the corner?

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Awesome, glad to hear that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1337Law

New

Post by 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 pm

iceberger wrote:
1337Law wrote:
iceberger wrote:

i'm not sure, UVA just recently became my top choice and i haven't visited. being able to walk to some nice places to eat/drink/hang out is really important to me in a location. would that be the corner?
i think it's both, but i only visited for a few days, i'm sure a current student will weigh in...i think a lot more UG's will be around the corner, and maybe an older crowd downtown...i talked to someone who lived close to the downtown mall, he said he normally loved it, but recently there's been some construction which i guess is noisy

edit: and i'm ecstatic to hear that UVa is your top choice, I know you have some awesome options

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:14 pm

iceberger wrote:
1337Law wrote:
iceberger wrote:

don't live there. It's too rowdy.

You say you have a car. I imagine you're prolly from NJ (Giant's fan) so just drive down to Charlottesville and keep your car parked until you want to go downtown or around the neighborhood. Call up a few friends (who won't have cars or don't want to drive) and just all carpool out to grab a bite. Then drive back and park (yes I know, once you leave the tri-state area you can do that-just park).

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm

thesealocust wrote: And to try for totally completely off topic: - I just squeezed about 20 pounds of lemons and limes and made a liter of simple syrup. Anybody have any drink ideas that involve fresh sour mix?
I'll give you a dollar to drink it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”