UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RTF

Bronze

UVA Class of 2012

Post by RTF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Being that there was an Accepted at Duke/Georgetown/UCLA etc. and at the request of Limegreen, I decided to start UVA thread as well. I guess there have been a couple of us who have been accepted early so far. Congrats.

Those attending UVA in the Fall:

RTF
Limegreen
GoHawks
alethea
vamedic03
rodandgun
pithypike
CE2JD
isittomorrowyet
Ellners87
aph
TaoTao
thesealocust
JSUVA2012
YCrevolution
Rainmaker11
jase1348
showNprove
reallyreallyreally
rodrigst
EaglesXLIV
skyisthelimit
abm256
Natbug626
a.williams
E.K.
napolnic
geoffree
1337Law
rdt854
danielgude
Jim_Stansel
iceberger
omg
cakewalker
kp1981
Cavalier
iamjikem
ILikeIke
bulldog4574
jdn012
crazyinalabama
AllAmericanGirl
vanwinkle
FeElMyEiRe

Send me a message if you want to be added to the list
Last edited by RTF on Sun May 03, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 46 times in total.

silver11

Bronze

Re: Accepted at UVA

Post by silver11 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:16 pm

EA or no?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm

We should change this to C/O 2012 so it's for people who were accepted and attending not just accepted. That's how last year's was and it was really great with people discussing housing and all of that kinda thing.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Arrg.... Now I'm just creating a bunch of threads and besides isn't that what facebook is for?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm

RTF wrote:Arrg.... Now I'm just creating a bunch of threads and besides isn't that what facebook is for?
I guess? you could have changed the title I think... that might have been easier!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:22 pm

I don't think I can change the title...

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm

RTF wrote:I don't think I can change the title...
You can. I've seen others do it.

RTF

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by RTF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Got it

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Good job!

Has anyone started looking at places yet? I am going to Cville for a football game in a few weeks so I'm thinking about looking around. I heard a lot of people live at Ivy Gardens and The Woodlands. I did a little investigating online and I am thinking The Woodlands look pretty nice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Talk to uvalaw41

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:33 pm

limegreen wrote:Good job!

Has anyone started looking at places yet? I am going to Cville for a football game in a few weeks so I'm thinking about looking around. I heard a lot of people live at Ivy Gardens and The Woodlands. I did a little investigating online and I am thinking The Woodlands look pretty nice!
The Woodlands is nice and new but it's relatively far out. Traffic in C-ville is absolutely and inexplicably horrible, so I'd live close in. Ivy is pretty much where most 1Ls wind up living; it's very close to the law school and the fact that it's mostly law students (some b-schoolers live there too) gives it a dormy/camp feel. I didn't live at Ivy but I wound up going there all the time since that's where many 1L events are held. I lived in an apartment complex maybe about a mile from the school during 1L year and in a house with other grad students the last two years.

Just be careful - there are some sketchy areas of Cville. I flew in one weekend, signed a lease without thoroughly checking the property and it turned out the be the ghetto. Literally. The pizza guy wouldn't deliver after dark. The utility guy brought a .45 when he came to turn on my gas. I was out of there before I even unpacked one box.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:36 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:

The Woodlands is nice and new but it's relatively far out. Traffic in C-ville is absolutely and inexplicably horrible, so I'd live close in. Ivy is pretty much where most 1Ls wind up living; it's very close to the law school and the fact that it's mostly law students (some b-schoolers live there too) gives it a dormy/camp feel. I didn't live at Ivy but I wound up going there all the time since that's where many 1L events are held. I lived in an apartment complex maybe about a mile from the school during 1L year and in a house with other grad students the last two years.

Just be careful - there are some sketchy areas of Cville. I flew in one weekend, signed a lease without thoroughly checking the property and it turned out the be the ghetto. Literally. The pizza guy wouldn't deliver after dark. The utility guy brought a .45 when he came to turn on my gas. I was out of there before I even unpacked one box.
Wow. Thanks for the info! That does sound quite sketchy- I didn't know there was anywhere around there like that. I looked at pictures of Ivy and The Woodlands online and I liked The Woodlands. I know it's probably better to be close but I don't mind driving a little while, in college I commuted 30 minutes at one point. Is it that far away or just like 10? I am a neat freak and I really like living in new places because it just seems cleaner. I know that is ridiculous but I like the aesthetic of new construction. I am probably biased because my family does development and construction so it's just kind of built in to my brain.

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:41 pm

limegreen wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:

Wow. Thanks for the info! That does sound quite sketchy- I didn't know there was anywhere around there like that. I looked at pictures of Ivy and The Woodlands online and I liked The Woodlands. I know it's probably better to be close but I don't mind driving a little while, in college I commuted 30 minutes at one point. Is it that far away or just like 10? I am a neat freak and I really like living in new places because it just seems cleaner. I know that is ridiculous but I like the aesthetic of new construction. I am probably biased because my family does development and construction so it's just kind of built in to my brain.
I understand. In UG, I always lived in new construction apartments, much like The Woodlands. From what I know, that complex and the surrounding area is perfectly fine. I just happened to get a bad apple - most of Cville is fine, just ask around to be sure. I'm not sure exactly how far out it is - probably not too bad but since Cville is so small, 10 miles seems like a lot!
Last edited by uvalaw4l on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Well I was thinking just 10-20 minutes or something would be a manageable commute. Anyway thanks for the info. It's way early to think about this but I might look at some of them when I go up just so in the spring I won't have to visit if I don't have time.

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 am

The Woodlands is a LOT nicer than Ivy. The downside is that you need a car if you are going to live there, it's a bit of a commute, and there's not as many 1Ls living there.

Ivy is cheaper, but it's less nice so you are actually getting less for the money than at the Woodlands. Ivy is good for socializing, and for being a 5-10 minute walk to class.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am

The Agitator wrote:The Woodlands is a LOT nicer than Ivy. The downside is that you need a car if you are going to live there, it's a bit of a commute, and there's not as many 1Ls living there.

Ivy is cheaper, but it's less nice so you are actually getting less for the money than at the Woodlands. Ivy is good for socializing, and for being a 5-10 minute walk to class.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on having a car anyway- how long is the commute?

I don't know if I'd walk 10 minutes to class even if I lived in Ivy (I really really don't like being cold) so that's not really a selling point for me.

The Agitator

Bronze

Post by The Agitator » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for the info. I was planning on having a car anyway- how long is the commute?

I don't know if I'd walk 10 minutes to class even if I lived in Ivy (I really really don't like being cold) so that's not really a selling point for me.
The commute shouldn't be that long; I've only been to the Woodlands once, and though it seemed a bit far, it was basically all highway so you move quickly. I guess around 10-15 minutes, if that. It may be more depending on traffic. I second the poster above that Charlottesville traffic is inexplicably chaotic at rush hour and when there is a big event going on.

The real advantage of being in Ivy is social - you can basically walk over to any number of people's apartments for a pre-game, then all split a cab to the corner or downtown for 2-4 bucks each. If you value living in a nice place more than that, then I would go with the Woodlands, because it is really, ridiculously nice. I was initially looking at the Woodlands but chose Ivy because my car is kind of a junker and I was afraid it would break down on me.

Basically, I would try to live in a community where you know you will be close to other law students - i.e. Ivy, the Woodlands, or the apartments on Arlington. I would just avoid living in a random apartment that's not in a traditional student area. If you do that you basically have to either drive everywhere or catch a cab yourself if you want to socialize, see a movie, meet with a study group, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am

limegreen wrote:
The Agitator wrote:The Woodlands is a LOT nicer than Ivy. The downside is that you need a car if you are going to live there, it's a bit of a commute, and there's not as many 1Ls living there.

Then you should know that if you live close to campus, basically in Ivy or on Arlington, you can't get a parking pass - you have to walk. Parking can be a b*tch so they have to cut down the number of students driving to campus any way they can.
Last edited by uvalaw4l on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoHawks

New

Post by GoHawks » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 pm

I am now officially attending UVA. Go 'Hoos!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:21 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Then you should know that if you live close to campus, basically in Ivy or on Arlington, you can't get a parking pass - you have to walk. Parking can be a b*tch so they have to cut down the number of students driving to campus any way they can.
That's good to know. I'm not sure if Ivy appeals to me anyway. From everything I've heard it's super saturated with students and I tend to stay away from places like that. Don't get me wrong I like to have a good time but when I'm at home I like peace and quiet and a little bit of isolation. I don't really want the college apartment complex feel- I'd rather be able to go there when I'm up for it and leave when I'm not.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 pm

GoHawks wrote:I am now officially attending UVA. Go 'Hoos!
Congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alethea

New

Post by alethea » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:07 pm

There must be a record for shortest cycle ever somewhere...

I submitted my application to UVA Sunday, went complete Wednesday, decided to do early decision post-submission and overnighted my contract Thursday, it arrived Friday at 10:30am, and I got an email from Dean Trujillo at 1:22pm asking me to call him...he called me back an hour later offering me a seat!

I must say, the people at UVA are wonderful. Very polite and willing to spend time answering questions. The call was a wonderful touch. Talk about instant gratification!

171 LSAT, 3.34 LSAC gpa with a good upward trend after being off school three years and transferring. I've attended more schools than Sarah Palin in the process of getting my undergraduate. Good work experience, interesting softs (at least I think so). Not a Virginia resident.

Yay! It is OVER. I'm so happy to be going to UVA in the fall! Good luck everyone!

melbelle

New

Post by melbelle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Congrats to everyone! I'm a 1L and am enjoying my UVA experience. Now on to housing:
limegreen wrote: That's good to know. I'm not sure if Ivy appeals to me anyway. From everything I've heard it's super saturated with students and I tend to stay away from places like that. Don't get me wrong I like to have a good time but when I'm at home I like peace and quiet and a little bit of isolation. I don't really want the college apartment complex feel- I'd rather be able to go there when I'm up for it and leave when I'm not.
Ivy is full of students, but as Agitator pointed out, the main benefit is its proximity to the social scene and to campus. Most students live in Ivy or on Arlington Rd.

If you have a car and want some separation between school and home I'd recommend Woodlands, Jefferson's Ridge, Eagle's Landing, and Avemore. They're all about a 10-20 minute commute to campus (depending on traffic).

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:57 pm

Congrats alethea. RTF started a FB group yesterday if anyone's interested just search for it. I think it's called UVA Law Class of 2012 or something.

alethea

New

Post by alethea » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm not currently on FB, but after finals this semester I may reactivate. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”