UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CE2JD

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by CE2JD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm

For other K Section kids:

I've been reading reviews on Professor Setear and he seems to have an awesome class. He created his own "textbook" for Contracts which we pick up at the copy center on the first day. Almost everyone who did a review claims they learned Contracts better than most other sections and that 100% of Setear's assigned reading material is relevant.
Last edited by CE2JD on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, one thing to consider is that some professors I have no idea about. So it's possible some are good and just didn't get a * because I didn't know enough about them either from personal experience or hearing from others. Just to name an example, Professor O'Connell teaches Section H Torts and I've never heard anything about him so no * but maybe he's good. If at some point we're talking privately I'll say who I think the bad ones are but I don't want to be cruel and call out professors as bad in public especially since you can check reviews on Lawweb to get an idea.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:Anyone else in section G?

Section G:
Contracts (G)- J H Verkerke
CrimLaw (G, L)- Peter Low
Torts (E, G)- Charles Barzun
CivPro (F, G, H)- Michael Collins*
ConLaw (E, G)- Kim Forde-Mazrui
Property (B, G, L)- Julia Mahoney
LRW- Ruth Buck
I'm in G

NELAC1987

New

Post by NELAC1987 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Hey guys,

I'm in Section B. Is anyone else?

I saw that sections were up today, where do we find our assignments? Are they posted somewhere?

Look forward to meeting everyone Monday...

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

applepie wrote:I'm in E!
RTF wrote:I haven't been on this in a long time but I'm in section E.
Excellent

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Alright, at least two TLSers in G!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 pm

So I got my walking boot today so I'm semi mobile again so what's going on thus weekend?

dinkyjeans

New

Post by dinkyjeans » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:30 pm

anyone know how to get the reading assignments for the first classes? i'd like to knock that out early so i can have one more weekend of peace and quiet (and extra sleep!!).

also, many thanks to those who posted J schedule :)

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:38 pm

limegreen wrote:So I got my walking boot today so I'm semi mobile again so what's going on thus weekend?

monticello saturday I think?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cthrockmo

New

Post by cthrockmo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 pm

E also

Back on basketball, does anybody want to try and play tomorrow (Friday) afternoon? I remember reading somewhere that we can get into the gym tomorrow.

I'm probably going to go mid afternoon, maybe around 2 or 3, if anyone wants to join me

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 pm

dinkyjeans wrote:anyone know how to get the reading assignments for the first classes? i'd like to knock that out early so i can have one more weekend of peace and quiet (and extra sleep!!).

The only way I know at the moment is to look at each syllabus in the course description place of lawweb. I one have like one posted though and could very easily be wrong.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Did any TLS'ers come to the meetup today?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 pm

iceberger wrote:
dinkyjeans wrote:anyone know how to get the reading assignments for the first classes? i'd like to knock that out early so i can have one more weekend of peace and quiet (and extra sleep!!).

The only way I know at the moment is to look at each syllabus in the course description place of lawweb. I one have like one posted though and could very easily be wrong.
Some assignments are posted on the bulletin board outside of the Student Records Office in Slaughter Hall next to where your sections are. It'll probably be continually added to up through the end of Monday. If I recall, if you don't have anything by the end of Monday then you won't have an assignment due the first day but I'm not positive. Most likely your PAs will make sure you're aware of whatever you have to read during Orientation on Monday so don't panic too much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 pm

FWIW, O'Connell dressed up as Hugh Hefner for his section's Dandelion Parade skit. So, I don't know if he can teach, but he seems like a pretty cool guy.

(Man, I can't wait to watch ya'll do Dandelion....)

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Da Stain wrote:FWIW, O'Connell dressed up as Hugh Hefner for his section's Dandelion Parade skit. So, I don't know if he can teach, but he seems like a pretty cool guy.

(Man, I can't wait to watch ya'll do Dandelion....)
Section D's huge error in judgment, not asking Professor Mitchell to participate in Dandelion for us.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to help everyone out (and this might have already been posted), I found this site on the UVa Bookstores site

--LinkRemoved--

If you do a ctrl-f search for "LAW1" it'll show you all of the courses for 1Ls with the sections listed beside it.

But before anyone goes out and buys all of these books, can anyone else confirm that these are the correct books for the fall 2009 term?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Section B's huge error, aside from the awful skit, was asking Leslie TO participate.

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but my 1L professors:

Abraham- Scary, but awesome. Man knows his stuff, he's smarter than you and has no problem telling you. His cold calls are brutal, but not Kraus-esque, and don't worry because 80% of his class gets a B+. Plus, you only really need to read his supplement, which he lectures from nearly verbatim. Cold calls by picking a spot and going down the row, so unless you're the one picked, you have some advance notice, usually even a day or two if you're at the end of the line.

Coughlin- All-star, but her exam will be harder than you expect. Doesn't cold call very often. Usually she has enough volunteers, but I'd say it's one person a week, maybe. And she's awesome about letting you pass because she understands some people aren't ready to talk in front of 100 classmates. If you do go, and are stumbling, she'll do everything she can to get you through unscathed.

Walker- Uncle Larry, love him. Some people found him boring, but I enjoyed him, and his exam is really straight-forward. Rarely cold calls except during some of his role-playing days. Then, he'll usually pick someone and go down the line so you can prep a bit.

J. Mahoney (Con Law)- I heard she was better for property since it was her first time teaching Con Law, but she certainly got better and has fairly interesting takes. Write everything down, and you'll still end up with 5 pages of notes all while g-chatting and playing scrabble. You'll thank yourself for the exam, which was straight-forward, fair and not full of surprises if you had solid notes to make an outline from. Cold calls alphabetically so you always know when your on-call. Be aware though, she tends to jump around so don't think that just because you're Smith that you're safe until Slate goes. When your on call, prepare and be ready, but generally the questions are fairly softball.

Bevier- Awesome. Some people found her cold and boring, I loved her class and her style. Pass your cold call, and you're out of the woods, which is awesome, because you don't need to read. She does a great job of telling you what you need to know. I got cold-called in February, read the casebook over 3 days during reading period and nailed her exam because my notes from class were so thorough. True random cold call. After every case, your stomach will turn until she calls a name, and expect a lot of questions when you are on call. 75% softball, 25% analysis so know your shit or she will probably embarrass you if she thinks you're not prepared.

edited to add cold call info.

Hope that helps, and I'm happy to tell you more for those who have these folks.
Last edited by Da Stain on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:38 pm

RTF wrote:Hi Guys,

Just to help everyone out (and this might have already been posted), I found this site on the UVa Bookstores site

--LinkRemoved--

If you do a ctrl-f search for "LAW1" it'll show you all of the courses for 1Ls with the sections listed beside it.

But before anyone goes out and buys all of these books, can anyone else confirm that these are the correct books for the fall 2009 term?
Yep that's accurate. (It's been posted before)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Okay, I'm making one more announcement about this.

Rock Band Party Night! Friday night (that's tomorrow night!) at my place. There is a 42" plasma TV and an Xbox 360 ready for awesome Rock Band partying. I've got sodas on hand and people are welcome to BYOB, and we're gonna order pizzas at 7 ($5/person if you want to join in on the order) though people will be welcome to show up earlier if they want. PM me for directions and let me know if you want in on pizza.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:23 am

vanwinkle wrote:Okay, I'm making one more announcement about this.

Rock Band Party Night! Friday night (that's tomorrow night!) at my place. There is a 42" plasma TV and an Xbox 360 ready for awesome Rock Band partying. I've got sodas on hand and people are welcome to BYOB, and we're gonna order pizzas at 7 ($5/person if you want to join in on the order) though people will be welcome to show up earlier if they want. PM me for directions and let me know if you want in on pizza.
Hm. Two nights out in a row. I feel like a young'un again. Any liquor requests?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 am

a.williams wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Anyone else in section G?

Section G:
Contracts (G)- J H Verkerke
CrimLaw (G, L)- Peter Low
Torts (E, G)- Charles Barzun
CivPro (F, G, H)- Michael Collins*
ConLaw (E, G)- Kim Forde-Mazrui
Property (B, G, L)- Julia Mahoney
LRW- Ruth Buck
I'm in G
G here! Represent!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

polaris769

New

Post by polaris769 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:12 am

Anyone else in H?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 am

polaris769 wrote:Anyone else in H?
<----this guy

green

Bronze

Post by green » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 am

cthrockmo wrote:E also

Back on basketball, does anybody want to try and play tomorrow (Friday) afternoon? I remember reading somewhere that we can get into the gym tomorrow.

I'm probably going to go mid afternoon, maybe around 2 or 3, if anyone wants to join me
I might go to the gym tomorrow, but I'm terrible at basketball so I might stick with swimming or lifting.

MAD1984

New

Post by MAD1984 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 am

Pardon me for sounding oblivious, but where are the book lists for each prof?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”